View Full Version : NIGEL BENN has dismissed Naseem Hamed as a boxing fake

Dynamite Kid
12-10-2009, 03:36 AM
NIGEL BENN has dismissed Naseem Hamed as a boxing fake who reached the top by fighting old men and nobodies.

The former WBC super-middleweight world champion lashed Hamed in a no-holds-barred attack after the featherweight's dismal display against Manuel Calvo last Saturday.

Benn, 38, is steaming mad Hamed, who blamed a damaged hand for the stinker against Spaniard Calvo, questioned the Dark Destroyer's bravery in the ring.

Following his laboured points win, Hamed said: "Even though I hurt my hand so much, I still wanted to let it go.

"I remember the time when me and Nigel Benn boxed on the same bill and he sat on his stool and wouldn't come out and fight when he fought Steve Collins.

"I don't know how a champion can sit on his stool and do that. You can chop my arms and legs off, I'm coming out to fight."

But Benn blasted: "How dare he use my name to try to dig himself out of a problem of his own making.

"He has come out at the London Arena and shown us absolutely nothing new, you can tell by his attitude that all he wanted to do was run the show.

"It's not boxing with him - it's just a gimmick, he simply does not know how to knuckle down. Hamed needs to prove himself - he has come into boxing on a fake passport, his application was made by fighting old champions and nobodies.

"It's about time he got a real one, only I don't think his application will be passed if he ever fights Marco Antonio Barrera again.

"Hamed has been exposed as a fake. He has reached the top but everybody has sussed him out.

null
REAL DEAL? ... Hamed is a fake, according to Benn

"He should have handled the post-fight stuff gracefully but it was down to everyone else except him.

"He's giving it all the Fresh Prince but to me it was stale. He danced on his way to the ring and that was about all the excitement the crowd got - he just threw single punches.

"Get him a shot at a warrior who has real ambition and he will not pass the test."

Benn was involved in explosive ring wars with Gerald McClellan, Iran Barkley, Michael Watson, Chris Eubank and Collins. He quit boxing in November 1996 after two consecutive defeats to Collins.

The second ended with Benn, who had just five losses in a 48-fight career, failing to come out for the seventh round.

Hamed's hopes of retiring as undefeated WBO world featherweight champion crashed when he was beaten by Mexican Barrera last April.

Barrera exposed deep flaws in Hamed's fight technique and easily won the bout on points. The Prince returned 13 months later to face Calvo - but it was a far from glorious comeback.

null
HAM AND DREGS ... Hamed labours in his win over Calvo

Hamed, 28, branded the fans ignorant after they booed his performance, with many walking out long before the final bell.

Benn added: "If Hamed ever gets back in the ring with Barrera, the Mexican will wipe the floor with him yet again - only next time it will be easier for him. He has turned on me but I gave what the public demand - value for money - and I never had one complaint for as long as the fight lasted.

"I fought real wars against the likes of Doug de Witt, Collins, Watson, Eubank, McClellan, Barkley.

"The British public were my life and soul. Those fans got me through fights, they are the ones who willed me to win and I responded.

"Don't give me the bad knuckles c**p. Stop it! Don't give me or anybody else that. There's not a fighter in the world who comes out of a 12-round fight without bruised hands.

"As for quitting on my stool against Collins, he obviously isn't aware that I bet 100,000 on myself to beat him.

"Hamed has never been in a war like me. He has only ever fought old champions like Tom 'Boom Boom' Johnson and he couldn't hurt a fly.

"Forget the Ali shuffle stuff and the running on the spot, Hamed needs real fights not fakes.

"And what a crock of s*** it is when we hear a boxer say he's going to be a legend.

"I let the fight public make up their minds about me - they loved me and I loved them back."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/124239/Benn-Naseem-is-a-fake.html#ixzz0ZGzbrIKJ

sonnyboyx2
12-10-2009, 03:11 PM
Hamad was a far better boxer than Nigel Benn, i would say its Benn who beat a bunch of `old men`.. Nigel was taken to school by Sugarboy Malinga, Nigel was a good puncher but not a great boxer Hamad could box and punch

Southpaw Stinger
12-10-2009, 03:26 PM
Old article.

Regardless, Benn >>>>>>>>>>>>> Hamed

AC111
12-10-2009, 03:37 PM
Benn>>>>>>>>>>>Hamed

catalinul
12-10-2009, 03:57 PM
This is an old article.

BOLLOCKS
12-10-2009, 04:02 PM
War Benn!!

Rastamouse
12-10-2009, 04:06 PM
Nas was class but his downfall was all self infliced.
I do prefer the warrior in Benn...:boxing:

GJC
12-10-2009, 04:12 PM
Hamad was a far better boxer than Nigel Benn, i would say its Benn who beat a bunch of `old men`.. Nigel was taken to school by Sugarboy Malinga, Nigel was a good puncher but not a great boxer Hamad could box and punch
Not disagreeing with you but Naz hasn't got anyone as good as McClellan on his resume.

hugh grant
12-10-2009, 04:15 PM
Benn never liked hamed. Benn said he would punch Naz up in the air.
But naz was a dissapointment. When it was going well for him, he looked good. But when things didnt go his way, ie against barrera. He had no answers. Didnt even want a rematch because he knew he didnt have what it took.

Southpaw16BF
12-10-2009, 05:22 PM
Old Article.........................

Ziggy Stardust
12-10-2009, 07:08 PM
Not disagreeing with you but Naz hasn't got anyone as good as McClellan on his resume.

Or Eubank. Or Barkley. Or even Nardiello.

Poet

Ziggy Stardust
12-10-2009, 07:15 PM

Ironic. He nuthugs a fraud like Princess Nasseem but hates on Lennox Lewis :nonono:

Poet

Don Mac
12-10-2009, 07:42 PM
Thats a bit unfair..Malinga was a great fighter, very underrated.

I think I'm right in saying Benn never lost to an american boxer? And he fought in the states and beat some great names. This easily makes up for his defeats.
Hamed never beat the same level of fighters and always looked abit amateur when fighting in the US

Southpaw16BF
12-10-2009, 07:43 PM
Ironic. He nuthugs a fraud like Princess Nasseem but hates on Lennox Lewis :nonono:

Poet

Althought I to think Lewis was a better and more accomplished than Hamed. Hamed was no fraud. 15 defences of the WBO Featherweight Title, unified the division. One of the hardest punchers in Featherweight history.

Only lose to legendary Barrera. Wins include future Hall Of Famer Wilfredo Vasquez, Tom Johnson, Manuel Medina, Wayne McCullough, Paul Ingle, Kevin Kelly, and Billy Hardy.

Although some may overrate him, in his prime he was a legit talented fighter.

Ziggy Stardust
12-10-2009, 08:20 PM
Althought I to think Lewis was a better and more accomplished than Hamed. Hamed was no fraud. 15 defences of the WBO Featherweight Title, unified the division. One of the hardest punchers in Featherweight history.

Only lose to legendary Barrera. Wins include future Hall Of Famer Wilfredo Vasquez, Tom Johnson, Manuel Medina, Wayne McCullough, Paul Ingle, Kevin Kelly, and Billy Hardy.

Although some may overrate him, in his prime he was a legit talented fighter.

The WBO was and has always been a Mickey Mouse sanctioning body. "Hall Of Famer" is pretty meaningless since any fighter with a fanbase will get in whether he's a great fighter or not. That's one of the reasons I don't use that as a measuring stick. The problem with those fighters you name is that all of them were pretty much washed up when Hamed fought them. Hardly something that redounds to Hamed's credit: It's not just who you fight it's when you fight them. The truth is, the only time Hamed faced a quality in-prime opponent he lost.....then retired.

Poet

Southpaw16BF
12-10-2009, 08:32 PM
The WBO was and has always been a Mickey Mouse sanctioning body. "Hall Of Famer" is pretty meaningless since any fighter with a fanbase will get in whether he's a great fighter or not. That's one of the reasons I don't use that as a measuring stick. The problem with those fighters you name is that all of them were pretty much washed up when Hamed fought them. Hardly something that redounds to Hamed's credit: It's not just who you fight it's when you fight them. The truth is, the only time Hamed faced a quality in-prime opponent he lost.....then retired.

Poet

Vasquez was not washed up and had peaked again in his career. Going into the fight he had made 4 defences of the WBA Featherweight Title. In his last 24 fights he had suffered just one defeat. That is not a washed up fighter.

Going into the Hamed, Tom Johnson had not been beat in 19 bouts and was on the best form of his career and had made 11 defences of his IBF Title. Again not a washed up fighter.

Wayne McCullough going into the Hamed fight had just one defeat to Hall Of Famer Daniel Zaragoza on a SD. Again not a washed up fighter.

Vuyani Bungu had not been beat in 8 years and had made 13 defences of his IBF Super Bantamweight Title and was at his peak. Agains no way a washed up fighter.

Paul Ingle was at his peak with a perfect 21-0 record and would go on to defeat Junior Jones who in turn stopped MAB. Another not wahsed up fighter.

And there's more. The fact is it'a quite a myth Naz fought a bunch of washed up fighters when in truth he did not. A washed up fighter for example is Roberto Duran against William Joppy or Ray Leonard against Hector Camacho.

He also unified the Featherweight division and was dominant in doing it. Thats no Fraud, and it's pretty hard to argue otherwise.

Dynamite Kid
12-10-2009, 08:43 PM
LOL at the posters in here. Old article? it is the history section.

Southpaw16BF
12-10-2009, 08:45 PM
LOL at the posters in here. Old article? it is the history section.

Know people ment it had been posted before quite a few times actually on BS forum.

Ziggy Stardust
12-10-2009, 08:56 PM
Vasquez was not washed up and had peaked again in his career. Going into the fight he had made 4 defences of the WBA Featherweight Title. In his last 24 fights he had suffered just one defeat. That is not a washed up fighter.

Going into the Hamed, Tom Johnson had not been beat in 19 bouts and was on the best form of his career and had made 11 defences of his IBF Title. Again not a washed up fighter.

Wayne McCullough going into the Hamed fight had just one defeat to Hall Of Famer Daniel Zaragoza on a SD. Again not a washed up fighter.

Vuyani Bungu had not been beat in 8 years and had made 13 defences of his IBF Super Bantamweight Title and was at his peak. Agains no way a washed up fighter.

Paul Ingle was at his peak with a perfect 21-0 record and would go on to defeat Junior Jones who in turn stopped MAB. Another not washed up fighter.

And there's more. The fact is it'a quite a myth Naz fought a bunch of washed up fighters when in truth he did not. A washed up fighter for example is Roberto Duran against William Joppy or Ray Leonard against Hector Camacho.

He also unified the Featherweight division and was dominant in doing it. Thats no Fraud, and it's pretty hard to argue otherwise.

Tom Johnson went on to lose 7 of his last 14 fights after Hamed. That's a pretty good indication he was done as a top fighter (and NO, Hamed did NOT ruin him). McCullough went on to lose 5 of his last 10 fights after Hamed. That's a pretty good indication he was done as a top fighter (and NO, Hamed did NOT ruin him). I hesitate to even refer to McCullough as a "top fighter" in anycase since he lost against every notable fighter he faced. Bungu lost 3 of his last 5 fights including Hamed: He was pretty much done, and not a real opponent in anycase: The only name fighter he ever beat was a coked up Kennedy McKinney. Ingle? Please. Another phony balony British "contender" that never fought outside the UK: That's the equivalent of AA ball. The only fighter HE ever beat was a washed up Junior Jones. Vasquez had 7 losses on his record going into the Hamed fight and had beaten a grand total of 1 name fighter in his career: Canizales.

Poet

Southpaw16BF
12-10-2009, 09:01 PM
tom johnson went on to lose 7 of his last 14 fights after hamed. That's a pretty good indication he was done as a top fighter (and no, hamed did not ruin him). Mccullough went on to lose 5 of his last 10 fights after hamed. That's a pretty good indication he was done as a top fighter (and no, hamed did not ruin him). I hesitate to even refer to mccullough as a "top fighter" in anycase since he lost against every notable fighter he faced. Bungu lost 3 of his last 5 fights including hamed: He was pretty much done, and not a real opponent in anycase: The only name fighter he ever beat was a coked up kennedy mckinney. Ingle? Please. Another phony balony british "contender" that never fought outside the uk: That's the equivalent of aa ball. The only fighter he ever beat was a washed up junior jones. Vasquez had 7 losses on his record going into the hamed fight and had beaten a grand total of 1 name fighter in his career: Canizales.

Poet

But going into the hameds fight they were not washed up fighters! Like you claim. Fact!

Whether you like it or not hamed was a damn good fighter who deserves some credit

But yet poet you give all the credit in the world to say a carlos zarate, who never beat many names of note and a man who hamed were far behind in terms of accomplishments?

Ziggy Stardust
12-10-2009, 09:16 PM
But going into the hameds fight they were not washed up fighters! Like you claim. Fact!

Whether you like it or not hamed was a damn good fighter who deserves some credit

But yet poet you give all the credit in the world to say a carlos zarate, who never beat many names of note and a man who hamed were far behind in terms of accomplishments?

I think it's pretty damn obvious when they lose 50% of the rest of their fights that they're washed up regardless of how they were percieved at the time. Perceptions are not always reality. It's what the FBI calls a "clue".

As for Zarate, don't you think the fact he was a career Bantamweight has something to do with people not knowing his opponents? It's not a big secret that Bantam and Flyweight are NOT followed very closely in the US. Name recognition starts at Featherweight and up. And really, what did Hamed ever really accomplish? He was never the "unified Featherweight champion" as you made out. He held a worthless WBO belt and never had more than ONE of the major belts at any given time. He held the IBF belt and never defended it; he held the WBC belt and never defended it. He NEVER held the WBA belt.

Poet

them_apples
12-10-2009, 09:29 PM
he got schooled by Barrera when everything about his style should have given Barrera huge problems. Being a southpaw (making it for Barrera to work off his left) being elusive and forcing Barrera to be the attacker (Barrera worked better as a counter puncher). What happens? Barrera just comes forward beats the crap out of Naseem and presumably comes off as the bigger puncher.

I made a thread a while back about Naseem being overrated. He was a good FW, perhaps a HoFer for his recognition, but not up there with Barrera, Morales, Sanchez or even Marquez.

Southpaw16BF
12-10-2009, 10:19 PM
I think it's pretty damn obvious when they lose 50% of the rest of their fights that they're washed up regardless of how they were percieved at the time. Perceptions are not always reality. It's what the FBI calls a "clue".

As for Zarate, don't you think the fact he was a career Bantamweight has something to do with people not knowing his opponents? It's not a big secret that Bantam and Flyweight are NOT followed very closely in the US. Name recognition starts at Featherweight and up. And really, what did Hamed ever really accomplish? He was never the "unified Featherweight champion" as you made out. He held a worthless WBO belt and never had more than ONE of the major belts at any given time. He held the IBF belt and never defended it; he held the WBC belt and never defended it. He NEVER held the WBA belt.

Poet

Well in reality he was undisputed Featherweight champion, as he defeated every title holder in the division. And the only reason he wasn't given WBA was due to Vazquez being stripped of it a few days before.

SO YES HE WAS UNIFIED CHAMPION.

And Zarate's opposition has nothing to do with Americians not knowing who they were. It was due to the fact that most of the time he knocked out sub par oppostion......that were never heard of since or before the Zarate fight.

Ziggy Stardust
12-10-2009, 11:05 PM
Well in reality he was undisputed Featherweight champion, as he defeated every title holder in the division. And the only reason he wasn't given WBA was due to Vazquez being stripped of it a few days before.

SO YES HE WAS UNIFIED CHAMPION.

And Zarate's opposition has nothing to do with Americians not knowing who they were. It was due to the fact that most of the time he knocked out sub par oppostion......that were never heard of since or before the Zarate fight.

Did he have all three major belts and have them simultaniously? No? THEN HE WASN'T THE UNIFIED CHAMPION!!!!! Maybe YOU thought he should be but that doesn't count for anything. Either he had the belts and had them all at the same time or he didn't!

Poet

Earl Hickey
12-10-2009, 11:19 PM
Naz was entertaining and a good fighter, but he is overrated i'm afraid to say.

sonnyboyx2
12-11-2009, 02:59 PM

McClellan was `Damaged`before he got in the ring with Benn

Ziggy Stardust
12-11-2009, 03:39 PM

Sonnyboyx2 was "damaged" before he came to Boxing Scene (he was dropped on his head as a child).

Poet

Sugarr
12-11-2009, 03:46 PM
I think calling Hamed a fake is out of line.

Yes, he got beat by Barrera. How does that make him overrated? He ruled the featherweight division during the 1990's and paved the way for other fighters in smaller weight classes to get some good recognition and paydays.

Calling him a fake is absurd.

THEGRANDSLAM
12-11-2009, 04:00 PM
They should just lace up the gloves, I'm sure with a good training camp Hamed can make 160lb

GJC
12-11-2009, 06:06 PM
I have heard that said a lot but I have never seen any proof of it. It does seem to be a line spouted by people who want to diminish Benn's win to be honest the follow up line is that the referee should have counted Benn out or DQ'd Benn.

GJC
12-11-2009, 06:10 PM
Re the thread, Hamed was a good fighter who was the dominant featherweight of his time.
Problem was he had some bad habits which he never lost.
He did have talent for sure but probably only about half the talent he thought he had!
Think you have to question his heart/desire a little when he lost a fight and then that was his lot.

Silkstone
12-11-2009, 08:45 PM
Benn >>> Naz. There's hardly a comparison. The Prince can say what he wants but he's never been in wars like Benn. Take a look at look at the first round of Benn McClellan... Then say Benn lacks heart. I know this highlight reel's been shown a lot but damn it's worth it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGz3gXGLxvk&feature=fvw

See?