View Full Version : Congrats to little red, chang, finkel and cosell

1SILVA
12-08-2009, 02:29 PM
Danny Lopez heads 2010 class for Boxing Hall

By JOHN KEKIS, AP Sports Writer 54 minutes ago

CANASTOTA, New York (AP)—Former featherweight champion Danny “Little Red” Lopez has been voted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame along with 12 others.

Among the other living inductees to be enshrined on June 13, 2010, are: light flyweight champ Jung-Koo Chang, the first South Korean boxer to make the Hall of Fame; manager Shelly Finkel; referee and commissioner Larry Hazzard; German promoter Wilfried Sauerland; matchmaker Bruce Trampler; and longtime Associated Press boxing writer Ed Schuyler Jr.

Posthumous honorees elected by the Boxing Writers Association include: light heavyweight Lloyd Marshall; featherweight champion Young Corbett II; lightweight champion Rocky Kansas; heavyweight contender Billy Miske; broadcaster Howard Cosell; and Paddington Tom Jones.

incredibleman
12-08-2009, 02:45 PM
How did Naseem Hamed and Wilfredo Vazquez not get in?

1SILVA
12-08-2009, 02:54 PM

Vasquez, hamed and Donald Curry once again did not get inducted

incredibleman
12-08-2009, 02:59 PM
Vasquez, hamed and Donald Curry once again did not get inducted

It's a shame.

No disrespect to the writers, promoters and announcers, because they do their job, but I think they're inducting too much of them. I mean, only half of the inductees this year are fighters. I think it's been like that for the past few years, as well.

Kiid Dynamite
12-08-2009, 03:03 PM
What other great/very good fighter hasnt been inducted?

S H O B O X
12-08-2009, 03:12 PM

CANASTOTA, New York (AP)—Former featherweight champion Danny “Little Red” Lopez has been voted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame along with 12 others.

Among the other living inductees to be enshrined on June 13, 2010, are: light flyweight champ Jung-Koo Chang, the first South Korean boxer to make the Hall of Fame; manager Shelly Finkel; referee and commissioner Larry Hazzard; German promoter Wilfried Sauerland; matchmaker Bruce Trampler; and longtime Associated Press boxing writer Ed Schuyler Jr.

Posthumous honorees elected by the Boxing Writers Association include: light heavyweight Lloyd Marshall; featherweight champion Young Corbett II; lightweight champion Rocky Kansas; heavyweight contender Billy Miske; broadcaster Howard Cosell; and Paddington Tom Jones.

im happy for little red , always an entertaining fighter , i beleive he's in the wbhof too

JAB5239
12-08-2009, 03:35 PM

Its about time Lopez got in. To many names not nearly as deserving got in before him and that is a shame.

1SILVA
12-08-2009, 03:53 PM
Its about time Lopez got in. To many names not nearly as deserving got in before him and that is a shame.

He was a better fighter and had a better career than Barry McGuigan. It is about time Cosell got in as well. He covered the sport on a major league level that hasn't been see since he quit doing boxing after the Holmes-Cobb fight.

1SILVA
12-08-2009, 03:54 PM

It is also a crime that it took Chang so long to get in. Arguably the greatest 108 pounder of all time

crold1
12-08-2009, 07:54 PM
Marshall getting in is awesome. I have no beef with the three moderns who went in. Best induction class in a while IMO.

Calilloyd
12-08-2009, 09:19 PM

There is still time. Little Red went YEARS without getting in. But I understand what you mean.

Calilloyd
12-08-2009, 09:22 PM
He was a better fighter and had a better career than Barry McGuigan. It is about time Cosell got in as well. He covered the sport on a major league level that hasn't been see since he quit doing boxing after the Holmes-Cobb fight.

That might be why he's not in yet. He said bad things about boxing with his statements after that fight. Even calling it "barbaric".

1SILVA
12-09-2009, 12:22 AM
[/B]

That might be why he's not in yet. He said bad things about boxing with his statements after that fight. Even calling it "barbaric".

HE got voted in today. Well deserved, as he did more for the sport than any other sportscaster in the history of the sport. I understood his bitterness as he witnessed a savage beating and he was hurt behind it

cooper5
12-09-2009, 02:33 AM
Glad they made it in.

Idea! Boxingscene should have it's own Hall of fame! It could be a subforum of the classic section(Please don't put it in Nonstopboxing)