View Full Version : How did you score Ali vs Frazier I?

zoneman99
12-06-2009, 08:20 PM
Even though Frazier officially won the fight, I had Ali winning.

If you score the fight on points, I had it 143-143 even. But, since it was by rounds back then, I had it 7-6-2 for Ali.

How did you score it?

1SILVA
12-06-2009, 11:56 PM

If you score the fight on points, I had it 143-143 even. But, since it was by rounds back then, I had it 7-6-2 for Ali.

How did you score it?

I have watched this fight about 40 times and probably have scored it differently each and every time

Silencers
12-07-2009, 12:35 AM
I thought it was a clear Frazier win, he took over in the second half of the fight in my eyes but Ali still had his moments for sure.

sonnyboyx2
12-07-2009, 07:55 AM
referee Arthur Mercante said he would have scored the fight for Muhammad Ali if Ali had not clowned about so much, he scored it for Frazier 8-6-1

The Stone Roses
12-07-2009, 08:18 AM
I have seen this fight so many times and each time i see i give it to Ali 8-5-2...i just can't see it any other way.....Ali hit about a million jabs, right hand leads, hooks....all frazier had was that one left hook and the crowd didn't help either because it was pro frazier......here's an interesting fact.....Larry Merchant was at ringside for this fight and scored Ali the victor by 3 rounds

Sugarj
12-07-2009, 01:33 PM
It was a close fight for sure, 8-6-1 is a fair read of the fight. Remember without the knockdown in round 15 the score changes to 7-7-1 (draw), and if it was an even round Ali would have won on this card 8-6-1. I think my maths is correct.

Thats how even the scoring was! A near as dammit even fight on two judges cards going into round 15.

Frazier certainly deserved it, many refs would have stopped the fight in Frazier's favour in round 11, Ali was all over the show. I've seen heavyweight title fights stopped for much less!!!!

Frazier was also unlucky not to have a knockdown scored early on in either that round or the one before (it was ruled a slip by Mercante).

Ali probably landed the most punches and showed the best ring generalship, but theres no two ways about it....Frazier's punches were heavier, Frazier was the champion and Frazier didn't take a backward step.

Dont feel bad for Ali, he clearly won fights 2 and 3 by wide decision and TKO.

I'm suprised Larry Merchant scored for Ali, he normally favours aggressive, march forward fighters. I'll never forget his hopeless commentary in the Chris Byrd vs Ike Ibeabuchi fight!!

GJC
12-07-2009, 02:20 PM
referee Arthur Mercante said he would have scored the fight for Muhammad Ali if Ali had not clowned about so much, he scored it for Frazier 8-6-1
Frazier by 2 rounds seems about right

prinzmanspoper
12-07-2009, 02:24 PM
Frazier deserved his victory on that night although the fact that he was pushed right to the limit as he was,that he took such a tremendous beating from a guy who had fought just eighteen rounds in four years isn't exactly what I would call a great performance.

Brockton Lip
12-07-2009, 03:35 PM
Thankfully perhaps, there was no online Boxing forum at the time or else the cries the ignorant cries of robbery and exposed would be all over.
I'll have to watch the fight again, but had Frazier winning last time.

billionaire
12-07-2009, 07:33 PM
i thought i was the only one who thought ali won..he swept the first half of the fight..only saw it once tho...its like when people say duran beat barkley only because of the crowd....

Marcov
12-08-2009, 04:39 AM
I wanted Ali to win so bad I thought he won the fight even before I seen it later on tv(it was shown live in theaters here). Ali convinced many of us he won that and the Norton fights, we wanted to believe him. But when I look back at it now, I can see Frazier pulling it out in the final round. It was close though.

right_hand_lead
12-08-2009, 03:58 PM
If Ali simply hadn't clowned around so much, he would have won that fight. He was just giving away rounds.

rosco 2
12-12-2009, 12:48 PM

How did you score it?

i had the same as you..rosco 2

Ziggy Stardust
12-13-2009, 03:23 AM
I scored it for Frazier 144-141 or 8-6-1 in rounds. The fight was even after 12 then Frazier swept the last 3 rounds.

Poet

bruno52
12-13-2009, 11:12 PM
I scored the fight 9-6 Frazier... If it was a 10 point must system I would have given Frazier 10-8 rounds in possibly the 11th and for sure in the 15th...I hardly remember any writers at ringside scoring the fight for Ali... I remember the Daily News had at least 100 celebrities predict the outcome and Yogi Berra was the only one that picked Frazier via a 15 round decision. Everyone that picked Frazier thought he would win by KO. I was in the 5th Street Gym a few times in Miami Beach before the fight and Ali's sparring partners thought he was dicken around too much during his sparring sessions and they were right! He gave away rounds because he was not in great condition for this fight.

Sugarj
12-14-2009, 03:59 PM
Funny because Angelo Dundee said that of all the fights he had, Ali trained hardest for Frazier 1, I dont doubt his condition. Its a testiment to his conditioning that he got to the final bell after the savage beating in round 11.

That said, the 'dicken' around was certainly true in sparring. I dont think Ali really feared Frazier at this point and may have been overconfident, he had made better work of Quarry and Bonavena than Frazier.

BennyST
12-15-2009, 12:32 AM
I thought it was a clear Frazier win, he took over in the second half of the fight in my eyes but Ali still had his moments for sure.

I agree with this. I'm very surprised this many people have Ali winning it. I didn't think it would be possible to have Ali winning that fight. There are some fights in which one guy just wins it. No matter how you look at a fight or how you score it, sometimes one fighter just beats the other.

Frazier beat Ali. No two ways about it. IMO.

T3dBundy
12-15-2009, 02:03 AM
the first fight was way closer than their second, thats sure.
i dont know why frazier still thinks he won the 2. fight.

prinzmanspoper
12-15-2009, 06:09 AM
the first fight was way closer than their second, thats sure.
i dont know why frazier still thinks he won the 2. fight.

He doesn't really.He stated in a post fight interview that it was the right decision and he doesn't have an argument to suggest that he deserved the decision.

T3dBundy
12-15-2009, 06:50 AM
He doesn't really.He stated in a post fight interview that it was the right decision and he doesn't have an argument to suggest that he deserved the decision.

thanks, didnt know that

roxy
12-26-2009, 04:25 PM
Both Ali and Frazier had alot of pride and passion. Admiting defeat did not come easy for either.