View Full Version : Lots of pain in shin area after runs!!!

XionComrade
04-18-2005, 06:33 PM
After and all during the time I run(Road) There is quite abit of pain in my shin area(Between knee and ankle), Expecially after I stop, its a painful throbing sensation...
I Was wondering if anyone knows what it is and what I can do to stop it from doing that....When I do Squats or leg workouts their is no pain whatsoever.... :(

abdiel2k3
04-18-2005, 06:53 PM
ur prolly to fat
to much weight for ur shins to with stand the awsome pressure of your fat ass running
or maybe ur shoes dont give ya nuff support
try running in somthin other then higheels
but thats just my opinion

XionComrade
04-18-2005, 07:07 PM
Lol, I only weigh 130lbs, im not fat....

Could be the shoes thogh....it even still is hurting...their just tenis shoes, you know, running shoes, not tied very tightly either...

Tha Greatest
04-18-2005, 07:25 PM
After and all during the time I run(Road) There is quite abit of pain in my shin area(Between knee and ankle), Expecially after I stop, its a painful throbing sensation...
I Was wondering if anyone knows what it is and what I can do to stop it from doing that....When I do Squats or leg workouts their is no pain whatsoever.... :(

Shin Splints....very common

XionComrade
04-18-2005, 10:07 PM
Whats that? How I fix?

Pretty Boy
04-19-2005, 12:07 AM
Nothing to do but rest,I'm afraid.
RICE-Rest Ice Compression Elevation.
Basically,ice it up and give it a rest.

Stretch well when you decide to run again,and invest in some decent running shoes that fit the contours of your feet properly.Go to a proper running shop and explain,they'll get the best pair for you.

STOP running for at least a few weeks,they'll only get worse if you continue,and the pain will get incredibly bad.
Believe me,I had them a while ago,and should've stopped.Instead,I carried on through the pain barrier.

joeboxer
04-19-2005, 01:36 AM
Pretty Boy is a whinny *****.

Your shins hurt cause you are weak. Keep running and you will get stronger. I use to get them, I ran 3 days a week, then 5, then everyday. Now I never get them.

Pretty Boy
04-19-2005, 02:18 AM

Your shins hurt cause you are weak. Keep running and you will get stronger. I use to get them, I ran 3 days a week, then 5, then everyday. Now I never get them.
;) :p
Listen to either him or me,it's your choice.
Don't try and be "old-school" like I did and try to run through it,it'll only get worse.Rest up.

Here's a link to help you decide what to do.There's plenty of other sites with similar advice,just google for "shin splints"

http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/shin.html

joeboxer
04-19-2005, 02:50 AM
Blah. don't believe pretty boy and his "science"

old school is the way to go. how many boxing scientists ever made it to the top. Mike "the scientist" Tyson. I don't think so.

You might come back at me and say. The klitchco's have PH.D's in sprots something or whatever and I say to you

Would you rather be Rocky or the Russian from Rocky 4?

Pinoy_Texan
04-19-2005, 04:07 AM
Sounds like shin splints. I'm in the same boat. There a few choice of reason.
1.Shoe
2.Your lower leg muscles aren't strong enough for the strain.
3.Could be the way you run. There are some people who apply more pressure to the inside of their feet rather than distributing it evenly(overpronator).

You can just ice your shins for about 15 min. Also make sure you warm-up and stretch before you run. You can also try to strengthen your lower leg with a few low impact excercises. But Sadly Pretty Boy and most doctors recommend that you rest your legs for a few months. It will also help if you go to your sports doctor and make sure its not a hairline fracture or anything serious. When you start running again it might help to run on softer surface(grass, sand, trail, or track).

XionComrade
04-19-2005, 03:35 PM

Lol, Ill just run through it, sounds better....

Pretty Boy
04-19-2005, 03:57 PM
Lol, Ill just run through it, sounds better....
Please yourself...

leff
04-19-2005, 04:36 PM
ive had shin splints and it sucks, its probably cause your body aint used to all the running.

streching, better shoes and running on soft ground will help.

but what you realy should do is take a break from skipping and running until the pain goes away.

in time they will be stronger and be okay(happened to me and im fine now).

Hunna
04-23-2005, 10:50 AM
Mate, u might have 2 do some runs on grass aswell, if u wanna keep running. Like a grass track or football field. Also, running style is important aswell, leaning foward or slouching style of running can do that 2 ya. Running on grass or sand is so much better, i neva run on bitumen anymore.

XionComrade
04-23-2005, 04:25 PM
Lol, I can't run leaning forward, upperbody weighs me down and I fall over, I get laughed at alot when that happens... :P

What if I build up my calves and focus on Squats more?

Pinoy_Texan
04-25-2005, 01:19 AM
Oh yeah. If you do notice that you are an "overpronator", you will need some "Motion Control" shoes. Adidas Supernova and Brooks Beast are pretty good ones. Adidas are cheaper.

Hunna
04-25-2005, 10:27 AM
what i was trying to say was, if u have a bad running technique/style that is slouched or leaning foward, u will have shin problems.
If you have a unproportioned body like most boxers, with larger upper body, do some sprints and squats. Increases stability and strength in ya legs. " if improve ya running speed, u will improve ya movement and punch speed"

monsterandmachine
04-25-2005, 01:40 PM
i used to get that......it pissed me off. one thing that helped a lot for me was to change the way i run. i used to run mostly on the balls of my feet because it really worked my calves, but it was too much. i started running more with the impact going to my heel if you know what i mean, and it went away.....but i think you should rest it for a bit. they can lead to some serious problems later on. some people need surgery.