View Full Version : No one ever talks about Tysons speed, he has to be the GOAT heavyweight in speed

Malik
12-06-2009, 07:55 AM
dude threw 5 punches in 1 second omg when I saw that. Dude was just so incredibly fast it was like he was made in a lab. Your thoughts on his speed?

Ziggy Stardust
12-06-2009, 02:50 PM
People talk about Tyson's speed all the time. That being said both Ali and Patterson had faster hands.

Poet

mrboxer
12-06-2009, 03:20 PM
he was not as fast as you make him out to be,his punches were half thrown that is why they looked fast,:boxing:

Lac'em up
12-06-2009, 03:48 PM
I thought he was faster than just about any heavyweight htere is now that's for dam sure. Name one fast HW today?

zoneman99
12-06-2009, 03:54 PM
He was fast but not the fastest.

Sugarj
12-06-2009, 06:18 PM
As Poet said, Ali and Patterson had slightly faster hands. peak Holmes and Holyfield arguably were as fast. No doubt, Tyson was one of the fastest heavyweights of all time, clearly faster than anyone in today's heavyweight division.

Ziggy Stardust
12-06-2009, 06:26 PM
As Poet said, Ali and Patterson had slightly faster hands. peak Holmes and Holyfield arguably were as fast. No doubt, Tyson was one of the fastest heavyweights of all time, clearly faster than anyone in today's heavyweight division.

Yeah, right now you either get obese or robotic but either way they're slow as mud.

Poet

Dynamite Kid
12-06-2009, 08:41 PM
What Tyson had that does not get brought up enough imo, is how fast his feet were. Mike Tsyon's footspeed is one of main reasons he was hard to hit in his prime, he could close the distance really quickly and avoid getting hit on the way on.

TheGreatA
12-06-2009, 09:03 PM
What Tyson had that does not get brought up enough imo, is how fast his feet were. Mike Tsyon's footspeed is one of main reasons he was hard to hit in his prime, he could close the distance really quickly and avoid getting hit on the way on.

Most certainly.

Quick as his hands may have been for a heavyweight, I'm more impressed with the footspeed he displays at 7:13 than his handspeed.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xJFLSSFrS8E&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xJFLSSFrS8E&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

A lot like Jack Dempsey except Dempsey was 190 pounds.

Tyson said Patterson was faster with his hands than he was but then again Patterson was hardly a heavyweight. Ali was the fastest 200+ lb man I've ever seen.

them_apples
12-06-2009, 09:10 PM

Tyson looked very fast because he was a thick dude moving like that, so it was almost an illusion. Usually thick strong peeps can't move like him.

I'd say prime Ali had slightly quicker hands, perhaps a prime Holmes and Patterson as well...but one thing Tyson had over them, was his incredibly quick head movement that he used to make his opponents miss to allow him to counter.

Dynamite Kid
12-06-2009, 10:26 PM
Most certainly.

Quick as his hands may have been for a heavyweight, I'm more impressed with the footspeed he displays at 7:13 than his handspeed.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xJFLSSFrS8E&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xJFLSSFrS8E&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Tyson said Patterson was faster with his hands than he was but then again Patterson was hardly a heavyweight. Ali was the fastest 200+ lb man I've ever seen.

TheGreatA i would go .......

1 Pacquiao
2 Tyson
3 Duran

in terms of footspeed.

Verstyle
12-06-2009, 10:48 PM
he was not as fast as you make him out to be,his punches were half thrown that is why they looked fast,:boxing:

Half thrown? Although he's known for getting massive leverage on his punches? STFU.

Malik
12-06-2009, 11:08 PM
Half thrown? Although he's known for getting massive leverage on his punches? STFU.
mr boxer needs to change his name.

The Stone Roses
12-07-2009, 08:23 AM
HAHHA....Tyson doesn't even compare to Ali in terms of speed...Ali had faster hands and faster feet....name me one HW who moved as gracefully as Ali??? I'm a huge Tyson fan but get real here...Tyson faster than Ali?? no chance

prinzmanspoper
12-07-2009, 02:38 PM
I thought he was faster than just about any heavyweight htere is now that's for dam sure. Name one fast HW today?

Eddie Chambers I would say has particularly fast hands and throws some impressive combinations.He was great in his last outing against Alexander Dimitrenko

catskills23
12-08-2009, 01:17 PM
HAHHA....Tyson doesn't even compare to Ali in terms of speed...Ali had faster hands and faster feet....name me one HW who moved as gracefully as Ali??? I'm a huge Tyson fan but get real here...Tyson faster than Ali?? no chance

yeah i think tysons handspeed doesent even compare with ali . ali and patterson had by far the quickest hand of the heavyweights after that comes dokes and than maybe tyson . his handspeed gets overrated but his power gets really underated . i would say tyson was a harder puncher than shavers or foreman or any other heavyweight .

BennyST
12-08-2009, 09:30 PM
Most certainly.

I do find it very sad watching Tyson as a young guy. He seemed so with it and to really have his head on straight. Very sad. He was obviously pretty smart and very nice, though he also had issues but he dealt with them until having the wrong people about him. :nonono:

Calilloyd
12-08-2009, 10:16 PM

I have to agree. No heavyweight in history was faster on their feet than prime Ali. And Ali could move backwards, foward, and side to side. Tyson just moved foward, although he was also very fast..

The Iron Man
12-08-2009, 10:34 PM
Thanks for sharing GreatA! another great video, at that time Tyson would have been going through alot, its just before he leaves Rooney.

As for handspeed, Ali is the fastest the heavyweight division has seen, but patterson isnt to far off. Personnally i would put Tyson at #3 behind those guys, Cus has gone on record saying Tyson had quicker hands than floyd but im thinking that was a bit of hype!.

Ziggy Stardust
12-08-2009, 10:54 PM
Thanks for sharing GreatA! another great video, at that time Tyson would have been going through alot, its just before he leaves Rooney.

As for handspeed, Ali is the fastest the heavyweight division has seen, but patterson isnt to far off. Personnally i would put Tyson at #3 behind those guys, Cus has gone on record saying Tyson had quicker hands than floyd but im thinking that was a bit of hype!.

Yeah, you have to take anything a trainer says with dose of the salts: They have to keep their charge's confidence up afterall and aren't going to compare them negatively to others. Manny Stewart does this all the time.

Poet

catskills23
12-09-2009, 03:09 PM
did michael dokes or tony tubbs have faster hands than tyson?.

Ziggy Stardust
12-09-2009, 06:04 PM

I seriously doubt it.

Poet

GJC
12-09-2009, 10:35 PM
Maybe at chopping up the columbian marching powder

GoogleMe
12-10-2009, 05:14 AM
Who was faster then? You know speed comes from you legs right?

JAB5239
12-10-2009, 06:11 AM

Ali and Patterson ere both faster than Tyson. Louis was comparable in handspeed, and there were some other fighters who never achieved as much who MAY be comparable. Fast...yeas. The fastest? No.

RockyB
12-10-2009, 06:33 AM
If Cus didnt die, Tyson would be top 10 ATG EASY.

GoogleMe
12-10-2009, 05:13 PM
I don't think Ali was faster, really. Ali was the fastest at his time, but with the new techniques requirements I really think Tyson was faster. Things are different today. Boxing has evolved.

GJC
12-10-2009, 05:16 PM
I don't think Ali was faster, really. Ali was the fastest at his time, but with the new techniques requirements I really think Tyson was faster. Things are different today. Boxing has evolved.
Might be wrong, but even Jim Jacobs said that Ali was faster and would beat Tyson?

Ziggy Stardust
12-10-2009, 05:22 PM

Let's not act like Tyson was from a diffent anthropological era. Tyson had his first pro fight within 3 years of Ali's last fight ffs. Considering Tyson's prime years were in the 1980s that hardly qualifies as "today".

Poet

GoogleMe
12-11-2009, 05:06 AM
Let's not act like Tyson was from a diffent anthropological era. Tyson had his first pro fight within 3 years of Ali's last fight ffs. Considering Tyson's prime years were in the 1980s that hardly qualifies as "today".

Poet
I don't rate Tyson as an ATG fighter, far from actually. I just don't think Ali was that fast. I'd rate Ali way higher on the list, so don't get me wrong. Competition is greater today, so I think the requirements are higher.

Ziggy Stardust
12-11-2009, 11:04 AM
Competition is greater today, so I think the requirements are higher.

It is? That's news to me. Especially considering top athletes go into other sports rather than boxing these days as opposed to Ali's time when boxing got as many top athletes as any sport.

Poet

mrboxer
12-11-2009, 11:06 AM
tyson had good hand speed and power,and he also could move side to side quicker than any fighter i have ever seen:haha:

GoogleMe
12-11-2009, 12:16 PM
It is? That's news to me. Especially considering top athletes go into other sports rather than boxing these days as opposed to Ali's time when boxing got as many top athletes as any sport.

Poet
Glad I could enlighten you then.

catskills23
12-11-2009, 03:54 PM

we are talking about handspeed here?.

Ziggy Stardust
12-11-2009, 04:36 PM
Glad I could enlighten you then.

Awwwww.....you had to go and get all retarded and patronizing on me. Obviously if you didn't get the part about "Especially considering top athletes go into other sports rather than boxing these days as opposed to Ali's time when boxing got as many top athletes as any sport." then clearly it's YOU who needs enlightening.

Poet

GoogleMe
12-13-2009, 05:30 PM
Awwwww.....you had to go and get all retarded and patronizing on me. Obviously if you didn't get the part about "Especially considering top athletes go into other sports rather than boxing these days as opposed to Ali's time when boxing got as many top athletes as any sport." then clearly it's YOU who needs enlightening.

Poet
Stop diggin your own grave.

Ziggy Stardust
12-13-2009, 07:04 PM
Stop diggin your own grave.

Address the point or STFU.

Poet

mhager91490
12-13-2009, 08:21 PM
Personally I always considered Floyd Patterson the quickest but Tyson is not far behind.

Heru
12-13-2009, 09:52 PM

David Haye and Eddie Chambers. Their hands are as fast or faster than a prime Tyson.

Tyson was great though and it wasn't just cuz of his speed.

Dynamite76
06-05-2010, 12:32 PM
Hard to say, Dokes may have been faster than Tyson, and Tubbs was as least as fast.So was Greg Page.

TheGreatA
06-05-2010, 12:48 PM
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xfh2ZW9f4QI&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Xfh2ZW9f4QI&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I was always most impressed by Tyson's footspeed though. He wasn't a mover but he had those quick, explosive movements which made it difficult to keep away from him.

Example:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xJFLSSFrS8E&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xJFLSSFrS8E&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
7:10

In my opinion this is where he differs from Cleveland Williams or even Louis, who did have quick explosive combinations as shown at 6:30 of the above video. Not the footspeed though, but this doesn't mean he was necessarily "slow".

boxing boy
06-05-2010, 06:49 PM
The late Jimmy Jacobs, then the owner of the world's largest fight film collection, once measured Ali's jab by an omegascope. He found that Sugar Ray Robinson's jab took 8.5 frames of film. Ali's took only 6.5!! Faster than the fastest middleweights