View Full Version : beard helps you take punches?

TheFlyingMan
04-18-2005, 01:09 AM
How does a beard help you take a punch better? Is that for real, or just an urban legend?

I mean, I've been hit with and without a headguard, and I don't see much difference...how does having a beard (that's super small compared to a headguard) help?

and is it true that pro boxers can't have beards for this reason? What about roberto duran?

Rockin'
04-18-2005, 01:20 AM
A beard helping you take a punch is much the same as your name...........Rockin' :boxing:

Pretty Boy
04-18-2005, 01:34 AM
:D :D :D
Who told you that?
:D
I wish it was true,I'd grow my beard thicker.

Tha Greatest
04-18-2005, 09:31 AM
How does a beard help you take a punch better? Is that for real, or just an urban legend?

I mean, I've been hit with and without a headguard, and I don't see much difference...how does having a beard (that's super small compared to a headguard) help?

and is it true that pro boxers can't have beards for this reason? What about roberto duran?

lol
did u hear that from Teddy Atlas?

In amateurs, your not allowed to have facial hair, only a razor thin mustache
in pros, u can do whatever u want

puppy_dogg
04-18-2005, 09:38 AM
i thought there was a limit to how thick your beard could be, even for the pros. mic573 is the one who gave us the rule on this the last time. i think the "offical" reasoning for not being allowed a thick ass beard is that it might help you take a punch better. sounds crazy i know, but i think its in the rules

Shaolin Bushido
04-18-2005, 09:41 AM
People just refer to your chin/jaw as your beard. If you can take a punch well, they say you've got a good beard. If you can't they say you have a glass jaw or poor beard. In the pros you can have facial hair as long as it's not too coarse or thick leading to your opponent protesting.

Everyone has a "beard" whether they have facial hair or not.

*squints suspiciously to see if he's serious*

Not belittling ya, just answering your question, bro.

puppy_dogg
04-18-2005, 09:54 AM
found this story, bear with it, its not that long

TORONTO, JANUARY 13: The Sikh boxer, who won his court fight to box in Canada in his beard grown for religious reasons, has announced he's ready to take on the world.

His announcement came after Ontario superior court declared on Wednesday Canadian Amateur Boxing Association regulations that barred Pardeep Singh Nagra from competing because of his beard were inconsistent with Canadian human rights laws.

Anyone who wears a beard for religious reasons, the court stated, is ``entitled to participate in and compete in all (CABA) sanctioned events in Canada provided that the beard is contained within reasonably appropriate netting.''

``This is a long time coming for me. This is a step in the right direction,'' Nagra, amateur light-flyweight champion of Ontario, told a press conference in Toronto.

``The battle is not really over,'' he added, referring to International Amateur Boxing Association rules that insist on boxers having no beards -- something that would prevent him from fighting in internationalcompetitions such as the 2000 Olympic Games, for which he hopes to qualify this year.

Nagra said he would take his crusade for bearded boxing to the international level whether or not he qualifies for the Olympic Games in Sydney, Australia.

The Canadian Boxing Association has backed off on its beard ban and agreed to a ``cooperative resolution'' with Nagra's lawyers in court on Wednesday. Nagra, whose religion forbids him to shave, has agreed to wear a net over his beard during his fights.

Anne Lowthian of the World Sikh Organisation, who has supported Nagra's legal fight, hailed the court decision as a major victory for human rights in Canada and called for ``modernisation'' at the International Boxing Association.

``We are aware of no evidence whatsoever which would indicate that safety in boxing is compromised in any way by this decision,'' she told the media.

But the secretary general of the International Boxing Association, Loring Baker, told Reuters that he is aware of the Nagra'supcoming international appeal, adding: ``I know the case you're referring to in Canada. They must understand that if they did advance this person (to the Olympic qualifying rounds), they will be disqualified,'' he said.

``There's nothing discriminatory about it. Nothing more than headguards or the gloves,'' he said. ``This is a safety rule. We've had case histories of boxers having corneal abrasions from their opponents having a beard and scrubbing it in their eyes.''

Although Baker said he has not heard the medical argument supporting facial nets, he said the association hears appeals to rules only every four years.

spinksjinx
04-18-2005, 10:03 AM
Dokiwari and Barrett as well as a few others had to shave trim their beards down...If it is really rough and a guy gets cut the hair could irritate the cut if the two fighters rubbed against each other....People complain a lot about beards but I have NEVER seen Ruiz told to shave his and that thing looks rough as hell.....

In a sense with the extra padding it could cushion it a bit more but thats doubtful and wouldnt make a significant difference anyhow.

enadeus
04-18-2005, 10:57 AM
I don't think beards help you take punches at all. What they do is hide your chin so that the person goes for your forehead or cheaks. If you look at Ruiz he has had success at this with his beard. When Golota did hit him on the chin he got knocked down. Most boxers grow beards if they have weak chins, at least with my experience.

Kid Achilles
04-18-2005, 10:58 AM
Headgear barely makes a difference in how a punch feels so what the hell is a beard going to do?

puppy_dogg
04-18-2005, 11:04 AM
ofcourse a beard does'nt help you take punches but there's some mention of it in the offical rules supposedly.

12 Gauge Shotty
04-18-2005, 11:34 AM
so how is a beard supposed to help u take punches unless it was a bush and a very big 1 besides bearly any boxers have beards and if i saw a big 1 on on boxer :eek: