View Full Version : Best way of getting into fighting shape again

Pretty Boy
04-16-2005, 12:44 AM
Looking to start fighting again,after a year of playing college rugby.
I'm in reasonable shape,but am about 10lbs over my fighting limit,due to bad eating habits and the need to pack on muscle for rugby.I've done a lot of weightlifting,a bit of creatine and a fair amount of protein shakes with the purpose of adding weight to my frame for a final stint at rugby.

I'm around 154 at the moment,need to drop at least 7lbs or so,to get back to where I'm best.I trained for about a year,without ever having fought,but wasn't fully committed as I had a bunch of other things.

Should I be doing primarily long runs or interval training to get back in shape?
I've got use of a heavybag and speedbag,but won't be able to hit the gym until about a month,as I'm moving countries.

Tha Greatest
04-16-2005, 02:16 AM
Looking to start fighting again,after a year of playing college rugby.
I'm in reasonable shape,but am about 10lbs over my fighting limit,due to bad eating habits and the need to pack on muscle for rugby.I've done a lot of weightlifting,a bit of creatine and a fair amount of protein shakes with the purpose of adding weight to my frame for a final stint at rugby.

I'm around 154 at the moment,need to drop at least 7lbs or so,to get back to where I'm best.I trained for about a year,without ever having fought,but wasn't fully committed as I had a bunch of other things.

Should I be doing primarily long runs or interval training to get back in shape?
I've got use of a heavybag and speedbag,but won't be able to hit the gym until about a month,as I'm moving countries.

Do intervals man, mix it up, one day run 4 miles normal pace

next day run 3 miles and do "15 second/15 second rest"
sprints, and when u built ur way up add to that....

Some days run 2 miles at a FAST pace, one day just to windsrpints, etc. and intervals are great to, just make sure u in shape b4 doin them

Bubba3000
04-16-2005, 09:56 AM
Varied intervals in your road work, hills, and BURPEES!

http://www.warriorforce.com/articles/burpeeclip.htm

Plus, I think you should start sparring again as soon as possible. Nothing makes me train harder than gassing out and getting my ass kicked by a sparring partner. If you start now and you feel all out of shape, it'll inspire you to get back to work.

Tha Greatest
04-16-2005, 07:12 PM
Varied intervals in your road work, hills, and BURPEES!

http://www.warriorforce.com/articles/burpeeclip.htm

Plus, I think you should start sparring again as soon as possible. Nothing makes me train harder than gassing out and getting my ass kicked by a sparring partner. If you start now and you feel all out of shape, it'll inspire you to get back to work.

true...

U know if ur more conditioned, u will learn the sweet science a lot faster and easier...

mickst3r
04-17-2005, 01:01 PM
hey bubba... wats ur nane on ross's forum?