View Full Version : Smoking and Training

Journeyman
04-15-2005, 03:52 PM
what are your opinions on smoking(cigarettes/pot) and training? I mean ofcourse in general it would be considered bad, as I feel winded sometimes when im training...but the adrenaline seems to take over usually. For those that had to cut down or quit to train properly, and those that just train to stay in shape, what are your opinions?

ophqui
04-15-2005, 04:01 PM
Obviously it depends on how seriously you take ur boxing/fitness in general. It would also depend on how much u smoke, but however much it is it'll always have a negative effect, don't think it wont. U might not notice the effects after sparring a couple of rounds, but if you were to have a full fight or go on a long run or something u'd feel it i think.
As a general rule i'd say its not the best idea ever to be smoking and training seriously.

abdiel2k3
04-15-2005, 04:05 PM
it just like anything else
ya have to get use to it
and train to do it
some of the greats like Ali, Chavez, Robinson, Jones all smoked while training
no matter what theyre doin
they always have asmoke in their mouth
they belived (as i do) that it makes ur lungs stronger
so when ur in an actual fight and u dont have acig
u will be like 10 times stronger

jack_the_rippuh
04-15-2005, 04:19 PM
If Mayorga can become a world champion, any smoker can.

tysonortiz
04-15-2005, 04:36 PM
It is going to hurt your cardio no matter how you slice it.

Tha Greatest
04-15-2005, 04:41 PM
If Mayorga can become a world champion, any smoker can.

Mayorga wasnt a great world champion, he just got lucky with Vernon Forrest, and Mayorga is a monster, he has heavy hands and a rock hard chin...He just got lucky with Forrest as Forrest fought a VERY stupid fight both times, Mayorga lost to Cory Spinks..

Don't smoke if u wanna be a world champion, Mayorga was different...If u get in the ring with me n i know u smoke, i will rip u up

Journeyman
04-15-2005, 04:47 PM
i remember lampley saying mayorga smokes 2 packs of marlboro reds a day when hes NOT training.

Bubba3000
04-16-2005, 09:01 AM
It fills your lungs with old, crusty tar, reducing your breath capacity. There's no way anyone'll convince me that it's anything but bad for you. Plus, y'know, cancer.

Tha Greatest
04-16-2005, 12:08 PM
It fills your lungs with old, crusty tar, reducing your breath capacity. There's no way anyone'll convince me that it's anything but bad for you. Plus, y'know, cancer.

ya man

Don't tell me you people don't know that smoking is bad for you..
I've heard it about 10 million times

ophqui
04-16-2005, 03:18 PM
it just like anything else
ya have to get use to it
and train to do it
some of the greats like Ali, Chavez, Robinson, Jones all smoked while training
no matter what theyre doin
they always have asmoke in their mouth
they belived (as i do) that it makes ur lungs stronger
so when ur in an actual fight and u dont have acig
u will be like 10 times stronger

Ali? as in Muhammed Ali? no he didnt! he said in his biography he's never touched alcohol, smoked or done drugs

abdiel2k3
04-16-2005, 03:30 PM
Ali? as in Muhammed Ali? no he didnt! he said in his biography he's never touched alcohol, smoked or done drugs
nope
i got the real scoop
he always had a smoke in his mouth
couldnt live withoutem
lol
jk
or am i???????????
:confused:

joeboxer
04-16-2005, 04:20 PM
i remember lampley saying mayorga smokes 2 packs of marlboro reds a day when hes NOT training.

thats not true. Mayorga has 4 cigarettes every day. Except for the couple of days before a fight and then he doesn't smoke at all.

He isn't as crazy bad ass as people make him out to be. Think about it, he goes for the Mike Tyson angle but where MIke is tired at 3 rounds maybe 4, Mayorga can ez go 12.

Pretty Boy
04-16-2005, 05:38 PM
He could when he was at welterweight,he was gassed after about 6 rounds against Trinidad.But then,he was taking a terrible beating.

Tha Greatest
04-16-2005, 06:11 PM
Mayorga is a better welterweight

Journeyman
04-16-2005, 11:00 PM
nope
i got the real scoop
he always had a smoke in his mouth
couldnt live withoutem
lol
jk
or am i???????????
:confused:

wtf es problema?

Pretty Boy
04-16-2005, 11:07 PM
Mayorga is a better welterweight
Yep,that he is,although he's not that great at welterweight either.
People vastly overrated him after his wins over Forrest,who fell into his trap completely.If I may boast a little,I predicted him to beat Forrest-with a gut feeling I had.

Tha Greatest
04-16-2005, 11:54 PM
Yep,that he is,although he's not that great at welterweight either.
People vastly overrated him after his wins over Forrest,who fell into his trap completely.If I may boast a little,I predicted him to beat Forrest-with a gut feeling I had.

LoL...
I didn't mean he was good
he actually sucked
Vernon just fought a stupid fight
then spinks beat him
he was better at 147
than ay 160
he was fun to watch though.....later brother brologs....

12 Gauge Shotty
04-18-2005, 11:48 AM
Well if he wasnt good and he smoked, well he was alright but if u want to be the best i wouldnt smoke