View Full Version : How often do you sparr?

Tha Greatest
04-15-2005, 01:17 AM
How many times a week do u sparr?
This Saturday I will start goin to the gym of Otis Griffin, Gilbert Zaragoza, and Eric Regan so i will finally start to go to a gym where they sparr more...
I would prolly sparr about 3 times a week

When I move to Detroit I will start to sparr about 4 days a week or so...

How many times a week do you sparr?

Bubba3000
04-15-2005, 06:59 AM
I'm not at all now because I'm out, but it was twice a week. I've heard a lot of people say that four times a week is the most you should spar, so when you move to Detroit, don't overdo it.

Where's O.G, Gilbert and Eric's gym?

spinksjinx
04-15-2005, 07:54 AM
9 times a week 3 times on Sunday!

Not really it depends...My trainer makes me work the mitts a lot but I dont always spar for myself and will help other guys...So in a sense Im a sparring partner :)

When I have a fight coming up I will spar about 3 times a week (tuesday thursday saturday)

But otherwise probably only twice a week not for my good but to help others and it is relatively short as well.

Tha Greatest
04-15-2005, 10:06 AM
I'm not at all now because I'm out, but it was twice a week. I've heard a lot of people say that four times a week is the most you should spar, so when you move to Detroit, don't overdo it.

Where's O.G, Gilbert and Eric's gym?

Sacramento, Ca...

It's like 5 bus ride from my house

boxer2k5
04-15-2005, 03:04 PM
about twice a week

this week so far none
i think im sparring today
i would have sparred yesterday but i didnt go to the gym
i was dead tired

leff
04-15-2005, 06:16 PM
2-3 times a week.

Rockin'
04-15-2005, 10:29 PM
I sparred every day that I was in the gym and there was somebody to work with. Some people say that this could burn you out, but I say only if you want it to can it burn you out. In the amatuers I sparred 3 to 4 rounds 5 days a week. In the pros i was sparring anywhere from 6 rounds most of the time, but as many as 8 or 10, 6 days a week. It was alot of rounds but nothing will prepare you better for a fight than sparring and then more sparring.

Aswell, working as much as you can you will come acrossed such a wide range of styles and sneaky tricks that your eyes eventually just learn to pick up on these moves and you are able to counter effectively. Sparring will sharpen your eyes, get your timing down and just build your fighting stamina greatly. The new coaches say sparr everyother day. But if you think about it its the oldschool coaches who are bringing up the champions............Rockin' :boxing:

patto1984
04-16-2005, 03:15 AM
I sparred every day that I was in the gym and there was somebody to work with. Some people say that this could burn you out, but I say only if you want it to can it burn you out. In the amatuers I sparred 3 to 4 rounds 5 days a week. In the pros i was sparring anywhere from 6 rounds most of the time, but as many as 8 or 10, 6 days a week. It was alot of rounds but nothing will prepare you better for a fight than sparring and then more sparring.

Aswell, working as much as you can you will come acrossed such a wide range of styles and sneaky tricks that your eyes eventually just learn to pick up on these moves and you are able to counter effectively. Sparring will sharpen your eyes, get your timing down and just build your fighting stamina greatly. The new coaches say sparr everyother day. But if you think about it its the oldschool coaches who are bringing up the champions............Rockin' :boxing:

so true. sparring is the closest thing you'll get to a fight in the gym, so what better way to train for a fight. As long as there is a someone to spar at the gym i'm sparring, on average 30 rounds a week.

mickst3r
04-17-2005, 12:08 PM
3 times a week wen i'm lucky... sometimes its hard to find ppl to spar

Tha Greatest
04-17-2005, 02:29 PM
3 times a week wen i'm lucky... sometimes its hard to find ppl to spar

at least u get to sparr 3 times a week

I just found a gym with some pros, so im sure i can get 3 days now:)

akins12732
04-17-2005, 02:40 PM
how long and how many rounds do youll go

Atwa_66
04-17-2005, 03:01 PM
how long and how many rounds do youll go
Last time I sparred I did 8 rounds of 3 minutes
When I do defensive sparring, I do 10 rounds of 3 minutes

Natty Dread
04-17-2005, 06:40 PM
just on wednesdays :boxing:

Curly
04-17-2005, 09:49 PM
MMA 2-3 a week (full contact with head gear)
Grappling 2-3 a week (no strikes)
Stand up 2-3 a week (boxing gloves, head gear and leg pads)

usually 3-5 minute rounds

That's not counting bag work, shadow boxing, exercise, cardio, weights, learning new techniques etc...