View Full Version : Working out--with weights vs. without weights

simeraksou
11-27-2004, 02:03 PM
can working out without weights be as effective or more effective than working out with weights in terms of building muscle and strength? like just pushups, situps, pullups and stuff. what are the advantages and disadvantages of working out with or without weights?

ballast
11-27-2004, 02:22 PM
In order to gain strength, one must adhere to the principle of progressive overload.In order to gain strength from exercises like pull-ups, dips, squats, etc, you must overload the muscles on a fairly regular basis by wearing a weighted vest, hanging weight plates off of a dip/chin belt, etc.

If one were to just use their bodyweight, they would eventually reach a point where the exercise stops becoming a test of strength and through the adaptive abilities of the body, becomes a test of endurance.Unless you use the progressive overload principle.

I think weighted and un-weighted exercises both have a place in an individual's physical training plan.There are a lot of variables involved.It really depends on the person and his or her goals, but both can be used very effectively in conjunction with one another.

boxer2k5
11-27-2004, 02:53 PM
In order to gain strength, one must adhere to the principle of progressive overload.In order to gain strength from exercises like pull-ups, dips, squats, etc, you must overload the muscles on a fairly regular basis by wearing a weighted vest, hanging weight plates off of a dip/chin belt, etc.

If one were to just use their bodyweight, they would eventually reach a point where the exercise stops becoming a test of strength and through the adaptive abilities of the body, becomes a test of endurance.Unless you use the progressive overload principle.

I think weighted and un-weighted exercises both have a place in an individual's physical training plan.There are a lot of variables involved.It really depends on the person and his or her goals, but both can be used very effectively in conjunction with one another.

i agree to really reach a high level you should be doing both

like calistetics help build a frame and get you definition

and wweight training can build the muscle and also build definiton

but no weights or low weights at high reps is the way to go for definiton

but to build low rebs high weights is the way to go

paulmmv
11-28-2004, 12:42 AM
what you do to gain musles is punch the heavy bag or have someone hold pads
and punch them with full force that works much better then weights and thats what i do with my trainer

andreyd
01-21-2005, 01:38 PM
heavy bag is the best

buff_mike10
01-28-2005, 02:21 AM
Lifting heavy weights puts on alot of muscle, which adds power. It can slow down your hand speed however. Thats why most great heavyweights had arms around 16". Just the right size for speed with power.