View Full Version : Fear, Breathing, and Relaxation

TheFlyingMan
04-14-2005, 10:18 PM
Guys,

I get these three problems with my sparring. I forget to breathe when I'm under pressure, and I am always tense, even when I'm going real well. This has a bad effect on my speed, and most importantly, my stamina!

For example, when I'm sparring a heavyweight with massive power (and a good record) I'm tense, I run out of gas after 2 rounds. Yesterday we had some new guy in, and I took him for a few rounds, taking the opportunity to work my footwork. Even though I threw as many punches and moved twice as much as I normally do, I could go for 5 or 6 rounds!

That's why I think it's got something to do with fear. Does anyone have any ideas how to deal with any of these three problems? I've tried focusing on my breathing, focusing on staying loose and relaxed, but no use - the moment I get hit, it all goes out the window!

Thanks!

Rockin'
04-14-2005, 10:27 PM
I have a method to cure that, its called experience. Once you get a few good years under you yiou will learn to realx more. Its natural whats going on with you in the fights or sparring. I would assume that you are a novice or senior novice. Breathing is something that is taught though. One thing to do is blow out of your nose or mouth everytime you throw a punch. Get in the habit and you will do it in fights. If you blow out then your body will automatically breathe back in and therefore you are breathing. Aswell, when ever you get away from a guy or the ref breakes or warns a fighter, breathe. After each round of a fight my trainer would make me stand in the corner, taking in three deep breathes and letting them out as slow as I could before he would let me sit down for water. This slows your heart rate and will slow your breathing as well. With the other things its all about experience. You will waste most of your energy from nervous tension until you learn to relax..........Rockin' :boxing:

boxer2k5
04-14-2005, 11:17 PM
its funny i ge all those feelingsbefore i spar

but i had no feelings when it was time to fight

i was liek the only guy not nerveous
my hands were cold and i was calm

but then everything hit me at once when it was tiem to fight

in sparring im nerveus im breathing hard
mad **** is going through my mind

Pretty Boy
04-14-2005, 11:43 PM
I'm always incredibly nervous when it's time to spar.I suppose it's still the idea of getting hit,but I try to get on with it.
I feel exactly the same way,I just try to breathe deeply and calmly.

Bubba3000
04-14-2005, 11:52 PM
It's like this:

Until we learn to correct it, we hold our breath at two different times -- When we're bracing to get hit, and when we're exerting the force required to throw flurries and bombs. Beyond that, yeah -- when you're nervous you forget to breathe.

But what happens when you don't breathe? You deprive the brain and the body of oxygen, meaning that you can't think straight and you get fatigued faster.

What happens when you're gassed and you can't think clearly? You get hit more often and you lose the fight. It's a situation that's only going to make you MORE nervous, which means you'll probably be holding your breath more, making everything worse.

In addition, when you hold your breath your body's tense, so you can't react as quickly, and when you get hit it does more damage because you're stiff.

Breathe, baby. Breathe.

Tha Greatest
04-15-2005, 02:15 AM
Like Rockin1 said it's all about experience

joeboxer
04-15-2005, 02:27 AM
Its also about how bad you gotta go. I mean make sure to have a big **** before you spar. It makes you lighter and it relaxes so you can get in the zone.

Civil IZD
04-15-2005, 07:36 AM
It seems that this is pretty common. I seem to gas out after a couple of rounds, if I'm up against a strong puncher. Its true, when I practice light sparring, I can go on and on, and my recovery is normally much better.

So it seems to come down to experience then.

When I'm hitting the pads with my partner, sometimes I'll ask him to pay less attention to my technique and movement, and to just focus on my breathing.

Everytime I throw punches without breathing, he shouts 'breathe' to constantly remind me.