View Full Version : Improving Running Speed?

K-Yo
04-13-2005, 11:59 AM
Does anyone know if running speed can be improved it seems like one of those things that you have naturally. If anyone knows any techniques then post them, thanks

puppy_dogg
04-13-2005, 12:07 PM
alot of it is natural, some people are just always gonna be faster than others but i used to do suicide's with 5lb ankle weights. time yourself, then do it again then next day and you'll see a difference. i used to get faster everytime i did it, advaced pretty fast with legs

spinksjinx
04-13-2005, 12:40 PM
Incline running and sprints will help a little as will plyometrics, it also depends on what type of running we talking about? Long or short distance?

K-Yo
04-13-2005, 02:20 PM
Short distance, and what is suicides Yoko

spinksjinx
04-13-2005, 04:21 PM
Short distance, and what is suicides Yoko

Incline sprints and plyometrics

puppy_dogg
04-13-2005, 04:33 PM
say your doing it on a basketball court. you start at one end, run to the free throw line, touch it, then back to the starting postion, touch it, then run to half court, touch, and back to the starting position, touch, then run to the other free throw line, touch, back to the start, touch, then all the way to the other end, touch, and back to the starting position :D ..........you just did one suicide. sorry for the ranting post but i did'nt know how to articulate the detail's of it any better :o

K-Yo
04-13-2005, 04:48 PM
**** oh yea, we call them shuttle runs

Mr. Untouchable
04-13-2005, 04:55 PM
Does anyone know if running speed can be improved it seems like one of those things that you have naturally. If anyone knows any techniques then post them, thanksmonday do run 400 meters, 500 meters, 600 meters, 500 meters, 400 meters tuesday sprint 6 to 8 200 meters
wednesday sprint 4 300 meters
thursday sprint 10 100 meters
Do everything after a 2 mile warm up and you will get faster guranteed...
If you live by the beach run on teh beach when you can, if not sprint uphill whenever possible

K-Yo
04-13-2005, 05:05 PM
Yea, thanks for the input

Tha Greatest
04-13-2005, 05:31 PM
I had a strength and conditioning class this year

and my teacher said to be fast u have to do sprints

and he said the only way to improve is to give 100% not 90%
and u will get the fast twitch muscles that way by teaching ur body to go fast

and also sprint up a hill then just keep sprintin after that(not long distance)

plyometrics are good to, i got a book on it....

akins12732
04-13-2005, 07:49 PM
strength shoes are great i ran a 4.9 im down to a 4.6 now

Hunna
04-14-2005, 11:52 AM
if u wanna be explosive fast, dont do too many lobng-distance runs, just use long runs as a warm-up
the aim is to hit ur peak or near peak at each session and improve sprint endurance ( holding fast pace for sustained period of time.e.g minute)
50,60 or 80 m sprints improve short explosiveness and are so important! ( becos u hit peak at about 60 m mark) like if u do 400 and 800s for training, ur fasted pace will be around the pace u do 400 and 800 and u will trun into a short-middle distance runner.
do like 8 or 10 x 50 m sprints, then a few 200s and 100s, make sure u do 2 km warm up and 1 km warm down, and stretch.
Technique is so important. when i improved technique, i improved by nearly 2 secs and am on verge of breaking 11secs and hitting late 10s.

Bubba3000
04-14-2005, 12:28 PM
I think Tabatas might help you. Ross over at Warriorforce / Rossboxing (http://p201.ezboard.com/brossboxingforum) is big on them, and I totally agree. You can do them with a lot of exercises, like running, jumping rope, dumbell swings, burpees, and the heavy bag.

Basically, you're doing 20 seconds of maximum pace and intensity, followed by a 10 second total rest. When I say maximum, I mean 100% -- you couldn't possibly work any harder. Do that 6 to 8 times through, whichever you can handle. As fighters, you need to be able to explode for 20 or 30 seconds at a time and really give it your all, and Tabatas help with that. Someone who only ever runs long distance may have a lot of gas in his tank for the long haul, but can he break that rhythm and go triple-time more than once a round?

Anyway, I think they're good for increasing your overall speed, too, because they take you to a higher level of cardiovascular conditioning. Try it.

mickst3r
04-15-2005, 02:05 AM
yes it can be improved.... first stretching a lot = longer stride which can improve speed... secondly... sprint training improves speed... thirdly... wen running.... try to make ur thighs go all the way up to parralell to the ground when they are in front of you

Pinoy_Texan
04-15-2005, 04:13 AM
Does anyone know if running speed can be improved it seems like one of those things that you have naturally. If anyone knows any techniques then post them, thanks

Yes you can improve your speed. Plyometrics like some people already said in this thread and some other excercise. I can't remember what they are called but I'll try to describe them the best I can. I only remember two that we used to do in track.

First one was basically kicking your ass. What you do is snap your leg back and make sure you touch your butt with your heels. You do this going forward and backwards. Now what this does is train your hamstring to snap back after your feet push off the ground.

Second one is like an exagerated march. What you do is every time you push off the ground you get your knee as close to your chest every step.

You should stay on your toes while doing this excercise.

Oh yeah. Sprints uphill also helps it works your quads more.

Hope you understand my descriptions and hope it helps.