View Full Version : Weights, strength excercises and boxing

Tha Greatest
04-10-2005, 05:41 PM
I was reading the thread about Muscles how people were sayin weight lifting is bad for boxing

I agree and Disagree

There are lot of people who do the basic excercises

Curls, bench press, etc...

Those are crap for boxing, if you wanna be a weight room stud, then go right ahead...

What are some real good excercises that will strengthen u without gettin u big for boxing are: Power Cleans, Dumbell snatches/swings, twisting snatch, and step ups...These are full body movements that are great for punching power and don't get u big but powerful

forget the curls, forget the flies, forget the bench press, forget the squats, forget the lat pulldowns, forget the leg press, forget all that crap...

Do full body movements, and don't do it slow, do it EXPLOSIVELY!!
Activate that fast twitch fiber, and dont do those excercises more then 1-2 times a week

Also inclined pushups, handstand pushups, chinups/pullups, bodyweight squats, etc. Which are all GREAT for strength and endurance...

One thing that is great for speed and power..........PLYOMETRICS!
Make sure you got a strength foundation before doing plyometrics,
when u perform plyometrics, perform it at high speeed and not to failure, and it well definately increase ur speed and power..
Some examples of plyometrics are: Clap pushups, squat jumps, Medicine ball throws which I believe are the BEST because u can mimic the punches thrown with it(has increased my power A LOT!), lateral jumps, tuck jumps, etc. and last but not least CHOPPING WOOD (or hitting a old crap tire with a sledge hammer which is great for strength, explosiveness, and endurance and very old school :banana: )

Remember though Sparring is most important, then boxing training(mitts, heavy bag, shadowbox), then strength and conditioning..

BTW heavy bag is one of the best tools for power

Punching power comes from: technique, accuracy, timing, balance, then power...power don't mean **** if u cant land one shot.....

Remember endurance is more important then power
If you only got power u may throw some hard punches in the first round only, but if u got endurance, u can throw hard punches for 12 rounds!!!!!!!(or whatever rounds u fight)

Keep sparring, train hard, and good luck in the future, watch out for me though!!!!!

Mr.Talent
04-10-2005, 06:15 PM
good stuff.

Tha Greatest
04-10-2005, 06:54 PM
good stuff.

thanx, i want others to see it to

what u guys think of this?

Zach282
07-25-2005, 03:43 PM
I agree with this but i still curl and bench press beacause it does help a little. But I think plyometrics are the better workout for boxers.

PunchDrunk
07-26-2005, 02:46 AM
Explosive lifts are great, like you say. However, if you want full benefit from these, and plyometric excercises as well, you have to expand your strength foundation, and this is accomplished with Squats, Deadlifts and benchpress; all the big basic lifts( for instance, if you're 160 and can only squat 100 lbs., all the powercleans in the world won't help you) Those are great for ALL athletes. Of course, you need to be aware that this is not the main focus of any athlete, merely one of the tools you can utilize to optimize performance. :)

dionysusolympus
07-28-2005, 10:49 AM
Explosive lifts are great, like you say. However, if you want full benefit from these, and plyometric excercises as well, you have to expand your strength foundation, and this is accomplished with Squats, Deadlifts and benchpress; all the big basic lifts( for instance, if you're 160 and can only squat 100 lbs., all the powercleans in the world won't help you) Those are great for ALL athletes. Of course, you need to be aware that this is not the main focus of any athlete, merely one of the tools you can utilize to optimize performance. :)

Agreed. It is one of the tools for boxing, but shouldn't become the primary focus.

myke_test1
08-01-2005, 10:50 PM
nice little tutorial i agree with some of it

I still do curls because i have to get my arms toned and i'm trying to start back with bench presses cause i really want to get my chest in shaped and really toned

i'm 5'9 (same as james toney my favorite)i use to be 280lbs but now i weigh 195 to 200 it goes up and down and i'm trying to started a good amateur career but i really want to get my chest in great shape but can't really seem to get there with push ups i do 5 sets of pushups each set is to failure. plus i'm really trying to get my stomach in shape i've worked all the fat off the sides but can't get the front part in shape anybody have a good ab workout plan it would greatly appreciated

I jog 4 days a week at 4am 2 miles running forward 1 mile running sideways and 2 miles jogging backwards i'm trying to get down to 175 but am really comfortable at the 185-190 range

and another thing if anybody has a good program on losing weight please send it to me i would like to chat with alot of you guys on the site about this so my yahoo name is Myke_Test1 and my aol name is myke test1

b-rine
08-02-2005, 12:06 AM
I am sorry but you are wrong in some regards. of course for boxing the best exercises are explosive lifts and plyometrics, but if you know anything about true muscle physiology and training then you would know that you need general strength in ALL muscles before you ever decide to participate in these type of activities.

you need general strength in order for the muscles to be strong enough to control the contractions and loads both concentrically and eccentrically. to participate in explosive lifts and plyos without prior strengthening would put you at serious risk for injuries and muscle imbalances that will cause joint instability and problems later in life.

I know you said you need a good base but i want to really emphasize that the way you get the base is through all types of exercises!!!

in short you need to include ALL aspects of training and ways to work the muscles. giving the muscle different angles and working it in different ways allows for better control and strength which will cut down on injuries. It is only once you develop EACH muscle equally that you should start doing plyos and explosive lifts. Core training is crucial as well to avoid serious injuries and imbalances.

So as far as other movements being crap, you are wrong.
isolation movements for particular muscles are very useful as far as strength and power. building the strength in each muscle will increase the synergistic effect of the muscle used for a compound motion. that means that the stronger the parts are for a motion, then the stronger the motion will be when all work together. this is only to a certain point though. you should not get the muscles overly bulky as that will interrupt the movement. flexibility is just as important in this regard.

So, in conclusion the proper workout for boxing and for the majority of all sports for that matter looks like this:
1)base element stretching
2)base element strengthening of ALL muscles in some form at least once/week or biweekly. (compounds can be the main focus but isolations can be useful if used the right way)
3)plyometrics for upper and lower body
4)sport specific training
5) cardiovascular conditioning
6) dynamic joint training for stability

to be the best that you can, all of these must be included.

This is what i am in school for man, trust me i am trying to help.
as i have said before, i am a graduate student in physical therapy and i am studying to get my C.S.C.S. this fall. this is what i am going to be doing.

buff_mike10
08-02-2005, 07:37 PM
Mike Tyson, George Foreman, and Rocky Marciano could all squat over 900. Tyson could bench press 500. Of course you don't want to look like Schwarzenegger to have speed and power, but there's ways to lift weights and ways not to.

Kayo
08-02-2005, 07:51 PM
I agree with b-rine but weight lifting for boxing would also depend on what weight your fighting at

XionComrade
08-03-2005, 10:36 AM
Mike Tyson, George Foreman, and Rocky Marciano could all squat over 900. Tyson could bench press 500. Of course you don't want to look like Schwarzenegger to have speed and power, but there's ways to lift weights and ways not to.

Holy Cow Man, thats insane!
Where did you here that, Geez man!

Theirs 400lb men that work since age 12 and never reach those heights! Steroids or not!

How much did George benchpress?

Could you immagine seeing someone Rocky's size squating that much? Its like car sized weight!

Mick Hucknall
08-03-2005, 10:48 AM
Yeh but the Rock was a freak of nature.

XionComrade
08-03-2005, 04:19 PM
Their all 3 freeks of nature!!!!

I wonder how much Earnie Shavers Squated and Benched, seeing as how he hit harder than Tyson and Foreman, and probably The Rock also!

Pugnacious_Z
08-04-2005, 12:32 AM
wats benching got to do with punching? and i bet u dat foreman, rocky and shavers cudnt bench over 300lbs, not coz theyre weak, but becoz they didnt lift weights alot. its impossible to bench 300lb + without ever lifting weights. rocky marciano cud prob only bench 200 pounds, maybe a bit more, and about their squats, it wudnt be too muhc, prob like 300lbs. and tyson wud bench alot coz i know dat he started heavy weights in the later parts of his career

random guy
08-04-2005, 01:50 AM
wats benching got to do with punching? and i bet u dat foreman, rocky and shavers cudnt bench over 300lbs, not coz theyre weak, but becoz they didnt lift weights alot. its impossible to bench 300lb + without ever lifting weights. rocky marciano cud prob only bench 200 pounds, maybe a bit more, and about their squats, it wudnt be too muhc, prob like 300lbs. and tyson wud bench alot coz i know dat he started heavy weights in the later parts of his career

um no my uncle steve can bench 350 and he never lifted weights, the only reason I know he can bench that much is because I bet him 20 bucks he couldnt do it.

TRUEVisionDC
08-04-2005, 10:21 AM
I was reading the thread about Muscles how people were sayin weight lifting is bad for boxing

I agree and Disagree

There are lot of people who do the basic excercises

Curls, bench press, etc...

Those are crap for boxing, if you wanna be a weight room stud, then go right ahead...

What are some real good excercises that will strengthen u without gettin u big for boxing are: Power Cleans, Dumbell snatches/swings, twisting snatch, and step ups...These are full body movements that are great for punching power and don't get u big but powerful

forget the curls, forget the flies, forget the bench press, forget the squats, forget the lat pulldowns, forget the leg press, forget all that crap...

Do full body movements, and don't do it slow, do it EXPLOSIVELY!!
Activate that fast twitch fiber, and dont do those excercises more then 1-2 times a week

Also inclined pushups, handstand pushups, chinups/pullups, bodyweight squats, etc. Which are all GREAT for strength and endurance...

One thing that is great for speed and power..........PLYOMETRICS!
Make sure you got a strength foundation before doing plyometrics,
when u perform plyometrics, perform it at high speeed and not to failure, and it well definately increase ur speed and power..
Some examples of plyometrics are: Clap pushups, squat jumps, Medicine ball throws which I believe are the BEST because u can mimic the punches thrown with it(has increased my power A LOT!), lateral jumps, tuck jumps, etc. and last but not least CHOPPING WOOD (or hitting a old crap tire with a sledge hammer which is great for strength, explosiveness, and endurance and very old school :banana: )

Remember though Sparring is most important, then boxing training(mitts, heavy bag, shadowbox), then strength and conditioning..

BTW heavy bag is one of the best tools for power

Punching power comes from: technique, accuracy, timing, balance, then power...power don't mean **** if u cant land one shot.....

Remember endurance is more important then power
If you only got power u may throw some hard punches in the first round only, but if u got endurance, u can throw hard punches for 12 rounds!!!!!!!(or whatever rounds u fight)

Keep sparring, train hard, and good luck in the future, watch out for me though!!!!!
From someone who used to train with boxers (just for the workout). This is an excellent post.

tebe6sm
08-04-2005, 11:34 AM
hey ThaGreatest, just wondering but have you by chance bought a training book from ross enamait? That stuff seems to be almost all the exact stuff in one of his books (especially the sledge and a tire). And I do agree with what you said. However, bench press and crap can be used to benefit a boxer, especially when done in complex training. Once building a sufficient strength base, do a set of bench press then immediately follow up with a set of plyometrics (in the bench press case plyo pushups).

XionComrade
08-04-2005, 09:58 PM

Wtf? He just said, they could each squat over 900!

Your right, bench can only take you so far, which isnt far at all! I was just wanting to know what kind of freak they were! Typically if you can bench twice your own weight without enhancers or any stupid ****, your a natural freak, and your gonna be a KO artist, most natural freeks are...with proper training that is!

Bench 300lbs? Any of these men? No way! I would say that Big Ol' George could do 700 lbs, and the Rock probably not real far off!
They probably benched 300lbs the first time they lifted ever, Genetic freeks, its pure natural power! They probably squated 300-400 first time too!

Their is no substitue for Natural Power! Foreman probably lifted more than Foreman, And IMO Foreman is much stronger.

What about David Tua? Hes a big Ol' boy ain't he!

tebe6sm
08-04-2005, 11:29 PM
Their is no substitue for Natural Power! Foreman probably lifted more than Foreman, And IMO Foreman is much stronger.

????????????

random guy
08-04-2005, 11:45 PM
ueah I want to know about tua too he is a big dude

leff
08-05-2005, 08:25 AM

eeeeh

im 6feet, 185 pounds, 18 years old and dont use weights but i stil bench 280, saying marciano who is one of the best trained athletes ever probably couldnt bench more than 200 is kinda stupid.

these are freaks of nature and could probably bench 250-300 without ever training.

that being said, i agree that what you bench dont tell how much power you have.

ive seen guys who bench 150lbs have more power than guys who bench 300.

Pugnacious_Z
08-05-2005, 08:35 AM
just coz marciano was a harder puncher and **** doesnt mean dat he shud bench much. maybe he wasnt dat strong in the pectorials, just explosive. no way cud foreman do 700lbs, the world record is 700lbs RAW. so how can foreman do 700lbs naturally? and the guy who said there uncle STEVE did 350lbs without lifting weights. i got sumthing to tell u, he lied, i know many ppl who lied about lifting

buff_mike10
08-05-2005, 03:14 PM
just coz marciano was a harder puncher and **** doesnt mean dat he shud bench much. maybe he wasnt dat strong in the pectorials, just explosive. no way cud foreman do 700lbs, the world record is 700lbs RAW. so how can foreman do 700lbs naturally? and the guy who said there uncle STEVE did 350lbs without lifting weights. i got sumthing to tell u, he lied, i know many ppl who lied about lifting
Mike Tyson was 12 years old and knocking out full grown men. When he first started to train with Cus D'amato, Cus threw 200 on the bar, and a 13 year old Tyson busted it out like it was nothing with a crazy amount of reps. I know an x marine from my town who weighs 175 and can bench 415, of course you won't believe that cause you don't even think Marciano can get 200, thats not even funny. Check out the tests the did on the Rocks power, just cause you can't bench press anything doesn't mean other people can't. Of course a huge bodybuilder isn't going to hit hard because they are slower, but a compact powerhouse like Tyson, Marciano, and Foreman would bench and squat enormous amounts of weight

Muchmoore
08-05-2005, 03:39 PM
I can bench 1000 pounds

Tha Greatest
08-05-2005, 03:42 PM
Anybody wanna give me karma for my awesome article?

Sir Fancylot
08-05-2005, 03:46 PM
I can bench 1000 pounds

that all? :confused:

Tha Greatest
08-05-2005, 03:48 PM
Anybody wanna give me karma for my awesome article?
I repeat...

Muchmoore
08-05-2005, 03:48 PM
Yeah, ive only just started. Then i dead lifted 900 and i sqautted 1200 pounds.

Tha Greatest
08-05-2005, 03:49 PM
Yeah, ive only just started. Then i dead lifted 900 and i sqautted 1200 pounds.
and I can do 300 pound curls with my dick..

Muchmoore
08-05-2005, 05:28 PM
You can :eek: Thats amazing!!

Im kidding of course. I made those posts being sarcastic hehe. It always cracks me up when on these threads people always say something like, "I know an ex Navy Seal who can bench 700"!Or "I can squat 700 without really trying"!And then people believe them, thats whats more funny.

Actually, I am a just turned 14 years old lol, and i bench 200, squat 310, and deadlift 215 :cool: Thats not that much, but its good for my age.

Tha Greatest
08-05-2005, 05:32 PM
You can :eek: Thats amazing!!

Im kidding of course. I made those posts being sarcastic hehe. It always cracks me up when on these threads people always say something like, "I know an ex Navy Seal who can bench 700"!Or "I can squat 700 without really trying"!And then people believe them, thats whats more funny.

Actually, I am a just turned 14 years old lol, and i bench 200, squat 310, and deadlift 215 :cool: Thats not that much, but its good for my age.

Funny how nobody believed you...

Pugnacious_Z
08-05-2005, 10:03 PM
Mike Tyson was 12 years old and knocking out full grown men. When he first started to train with Cus D'amato, Cus threw 200 on the bar, and a 13 year old Tyson busted it out like it was nothing with a crazy amount of reps. I know an x marine from my town who weighs 175 and can bench 415, of course you won't believe that cause you don't even think Marciano can get 200, thats not even funny. Check out the tests the did on the Rocks power, just cause you can't bench press anything doesn't mean other people can't. Of course a huge bodybuilder isn't going to hit hard because they are slower, but a compact powerhouse like Tyson, Marciano, and Foreman would bench and squat enormous amounts of weight

hey dum ****, have u herad of sumthing called exageration? tyson knocked out grown men wen he was 12? dats a bull**** rumour u hear about him coz he became chamo, wen tyson was 12, i wudve kicked his ass so hard, 12yrs old and not even develloped. i can tell ur a tyson dick sucker. i like tyson, but im not gona read bull**** like dat. and u say tyson did 200lbs at the age of 12 with many reps like it was nuthin. who the **** told u dat *** sucker, it was 200lbs once and dats wat they say, were u there to check how he did it, if he even brought the car low or if he did it with ease? i bet if tyson didnt become champ, no1 wud make dis exageratin stories about him. and every1 believes it coz hes TYSON. and ur dat gulible and stupid to believe it and u exagerate it a bit more, ***get. oh ye, i bench more then u and ur X marine freind sucks dick ***get, ur dads dick

Tha Greatest
08-05-2005, 10:24 PM
hey dum ****, have u herad of sumthing called exageration? tyson knocked out grown men wen he was 12? dats a bull**** rumour u hear about him coz he became chamo, wen tyson was 12, i wudve kicked his ass so hard, 12yrs old and not even develloped. i can tell ur a tyson dick sucker. i like tyson, but im not gona read bull**** like dat. and u say tyson did 200lbs at the age of 12 with many reps like it was nuthin. who the **** told u dat *** sucker, it was 200lbs once and dats wat they say, were u there to check how he did it, if he even brought the car low or if he did it with ease? i bet if tyson didnt become champ, no1 wud make dis exageratin stories about him. and every1 believes it coz hes TYSON. and ur dat gulible and stupid to believe it and u exagerate it a bit more, ***get. oh ye, i bench more then u and ur X marine freind sucks dick ***get, ur dads dick

Khalee kir doos dareh...

If you understood what I said..

dino
08-05-2005, 11:44 PM

i dont believe mike tyson could bench press over 500..wheres ur proof

Pugnacious_Z
08-06-2005, 02:20 AM
buff_mike is 2 gulible and dum, hey the greatest i understood, i know hes a donkey, LOL

Tha Greatest
08-06-2005, 03:25 AM
buff_mike is 2 gulible and dum, hey the greatest i understood, i know hes a donkey, LOL

I said he likes lot of dick LOL!

but I was just playin Mike..

buff_mike10
08-06-2005, 12:52 PM
Oh yea, i'm sure Rocky Marciano could only bench press 200 like you said earlier, you stupid ****sucker. Only undefeated heavyweight champ in history, you say he couldn't bench any more than 200 and you say i'm gulible. Teddy Atlas and Cus D'amato quoted what i posted about young Tysons strength you stupid weak ****ing bum. just because your a ***** who can't bench your own weight doesn't mean there's not real men out there. People like you ruin these sites with your 9 year old mentality. If you trained as much as you suck dick you'd be squating over 900 too.

XionComrade
08-06-2005, 02:02 PM
Be quating about...9,000 you read the numbers wrong BuffMike :D

Well Bill Kazmeir, the "strongest man to ever live" squated 950lbs, benched 670lbs, and deadlifted over 1000lbs...He, ofcourse, is a uber juicer...

However, Paul Anderson makes Big Bill look like a little school Girl!!
Paul Anderson is pure natural BTW, and the first time he ver lifted he squated 300lbs with quite the ammount of ease...he weighed 370lbs and was 5foot 7inches tall...which is huge!
At his peak Paul bench pressed 670lbs, squated 1200lbs, and in one arm pressed over 300lbs with two reps! Yes he was much stronger than that blasted juicer Bill!

And I am sure that there is someone who is stronger than he was, their is always someone who is faster, hits harder, or is stronger or smarter than the best, it's just the way it all works.

As I said before, if their is someone who benches or squats 500lbs juiced, then they won't hold a candle stick to someone who does it naturally...
The strongest men to ever live were all natural, they had no use for juice as they were genetically...juiced...lol! The juicers died before they got anything done...period!

No doubt that Tyson can squat 900lbs, same for George and Marciano, I doubt any of them, If Paul can squat 1200lbs with the ease that he did it, why cant they squat 900?

http://www.mcshane-enterprises.com/ASL/anderson.html Don't Forget, Anderson holds the backlift record for over 6,000lbs, thats more than a car!!

In the world of powerlifting size doesn't matter! I once saw a 160lb man outlift a 300+ man! Both had lifted since age 12, both with a Wrestling/Football background!

http://www.robertuniverse.com/waltermark%20images/w%20anderson.jpghttp://www.cbass.com/IMAGES/ANDERS~2.JPG

Muchmoore
08-06-2005, 02:14 PM
No doubt that Tyson can squat 900lbs, same for George and Marciano, I doubt any of them, If Paul can squat 1200lbs with the ease that he did it, why cant they squat 900?

Do you have any idea how much 900 pounds is?The average man can only squat probably 300-350, so that means that Rockys legs are 3 times stronger than an average man. Thats not happening. And its DEFINENTLY not happenning considering that Marciano didnt squate at all. Theres only one way that they can squat so much, first of all, THEY HAVE BEEN DOING IT THEIR WHOLE LIFE! Second of all, they are over 300 pounds and are steroid beasts.

Your saying that Marciano, Foreman, And Tyson, who no one has ever seen squat and probably have never done it in their life, can squat almost as much as people 150 pounds bigger than them, on steroids, AND ARE USED TO THE EXCERCISES BECAUSE THEY HAVE BEEN DOING IT THEIR WHOLE LIFE!!!

That makes no sense at all and its easy to see that you either havent ever lifted weights, havent lifted in years, or just lying and you know it.

buff_mike10
08-06-2005, 02:41 PM
Tyson's legs were 28" around, my legs are only 22" and i can squat over 400. These world champion boxers are in the best shape of any athletes in any sport. I've read in several different places that Tyson could squat over 900, its hard to believe but Tyson was the baddest man on the planet and trained hard every single day since he was 13. Doing plyometrics really help your power without using weights very much.

Muchmoore
08-06-2005, 02:56 PM
You can squat over 400 because you do it regulary. I doubt Tyson squated every day.

And anyway, that means he can squat over twice as much as you, which, if you lift a lot, i find unlikely.

love2_punch
08-06-2005, 03:07 PM
hey muchmoore

is your avatar Archie Moore on the speed bag?

check these bag clips out...

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=Speed-Bag_Space-Jam

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=Speed-Bag-Cantina-Band

pretty funny.

Muchmoore
08-06-2005, 04:34 PM
Its Sonny Liston!

Lol...

XionComrade
08-06-2005, 08:41 PM
Genetics my friend, you can eat and lift all your life and never reach 200lbs with anything, or you can lift rarely and do more than anyone who tries without putting **** of effort into it...
Some people are just genetically supperior.

Well if a 160lb powerlifter can outdo a 300+ powerlifter, I would say that Tyson at 230lbs can squat 900lbs, same for Foreman and probably Marciano to. Size and work effort just doesn't matter in Powerlifting, you either got it or you don't, and you probably don't.

A 140lbs Kostya Tszyu can bench 300lbs, some 300lb men can't do that!

You can lift and juice all your life and work your guts out, and still their will be people who will be able to do much much more than you P4P or raw no problem, it's just the way it works, and yes it is a *****.
You can work for years and get up to 350lb squats, and someone will walk in it being their first time lifting weights and just tear that barbell appart, happens all the time, you just never saw it before.

I saw a video where Tyson took 300+ and toned with it, please don't say he can't do 900 if he tones with 300...
George Foreman pulled cars in his workouts! Strong legs for Foreman.

Btw, the average man doesn't nearly kill people inside a boxing ring...The average man can't even kill people with his fists, period. And yes, Tyson and George both squat and lift very regularly...

Muchmoore
08-06-2005, 11:45 PM
A 140lbs Kostya Tszyu can bench 300lbs, some 300lb men can't do that!

Where did you get that from?I doubt he could do that.

Pugnacious_Z
08-07-2005, 05:07 AM
man, youse dont get it. every1 can lift alot if they keep lifting properly and gaining muscle. sum ppl have higher limits, dats true. but sayin dat tyson, foreman and marciano cud squat 900lbs is ridiculous. just coz they can knock ppl in the ring and trained everyday, doesnt mean there thighs are very strong, it has nuthin to do with it. i know for a fact dat danny green benches 200lbs and hes super middle weight and he trains everyday. and i know dat kosta does 270lbs and hes a light welter. but its coz kosta lifts weights regurlary. and tyson had 27 inche thighs which isnt big at all for a heavyweight. dat anderson guy ur talkin about was 350lbs, compared to a measly 190lbs dat marciano was. for all u know, foreman cud only swuat 300 so dont say it like u have to squat 900lbs to become a boxing champ.

SilentButViolent
08-07-2005, 05:24 PM
thanx, i want others to see it to

what u guys think of this?
great tutorial :D

Dyl-G
08-07-2005, 05:57 PM
hey muchmoore

is your avatar Archie Moore on the speed bag?

check these bag clips out...

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=Speed-Bag_Space-Jam

http://www.putfile.com/media.php?n=Speed-Bag-Cantina-Band

pretty funny.

that guy was good, but that video makes the speed bag look like a queer attraction

XionComrade
08-09-2005, 07:38 PM
Wow 300lbs is pretty weak, (I can do that and im only 130lbs)expecially for someone who lifts THAT much, you don't have to lift alot to get imhumanly strong, just like super punches, your born with it sometimes!

Lifting regularly won't make you do **** if your genes don't call for it, almost everyone hits a plateau and can no longer get stronger, some people don't have those though, and some people are super ****ing strong apes...Just like Tyson and George would be, expecially Tyson, I have seen him lift...its alot and its repped like crazy.

You don't have to be super human strong to be a huge puncher, thats true, but typically if you can tear someone's head off with a shot, your going to have Uber Natural Power!

You don't have to look like a mother ****ing bodybuilder to be super strong, just look at guerillas, their not that big, and look how strong they are, some people are like that, so stfu!

PunchDrunk
08-10-2005, 03:15 AM
Wow 300lbs is pretty weak, (I can do that and im only 130lbs)expecially for someone who lifts THAT much, you don't have to lift alot to get imhumanly strong, just like super punches, your born with it sometimes!

Lifting regularly won't make you do **** if your genes don't call for it, almost everyone hits a plateau and can no longer get stronger, some people don't have those though, and some people are super ****ing strong apes...Just like Tyson and George would be, expecially Tyson, I have seen him lift...its alot and its repped like crazy.

You don't have to be super human strong to be a huge puncher, thats true, but typically if you can tear someone's head off with a shot, your going to have Uber Natural Power!

You don't have to look like a mother ****ing bodybuilder to be super strong, just look at guerillas, their not that big, and look how strong they are, some people are like that, so stfu!

Gorilla's aren't that big???? A male gorilla weighs from 150 to 180 kg (330-396 lbs), and you don't think that's big?? Also, a gorilla has more lean body mass (that means muscle) than any bodybuilder. Get a clue...
Also, hitting a strength plateau, 9 times out of 10, is from training the wrong way. Only the super strong strength athletes who have been training professionally for 10 years or more, reach their genetic strength "limit".

Oh, and congratulations on the 300 lbs... I believe you. :rolleyes:

ricecrispi
08-11-2005, 02:46 PM
ThaGreatest, you are right. I see you answered my question. Those excercises build explosiveness and power through a large motion range. That type of lifting and pylometrics are what boxers should do about 4 times a month to supplement workouts. Guys stick to the medicine ball workouts everyday because they build more strength and better muscle for boxers than "traditional weightlifting."
You want functional muscle and power and the medicin ball workouts are great for those. They were later included in pylometrics for a reason.

PunchDrunk is right. Focus on strength alone is wrong way to go. I knew a competition level powerlifter and everything punchdrunk said is 100% correct about what they do. His focus was, single rep 700-800 squat and single rep 500-600 bench. He still was a decent MMA fighter. Wrong way for boxers though.

Look at Trinidad, hardly any muscle and I will say it, one of the the most feared KO artist in the last 10 years and maybe in the history of boxing at his weight. Does he looks like he lifts any weights? Power punching requires speed, accurracy, timing, proper leverage, and power. Not muscle.

Look at a football player like LT on the Chargers. That is the best running back in the NFL. That guys works his ass off but he is definitely not ripped up and he's a football player... This guys does lift weights but 2-3 days a week that is limited and with strict supervision. He does more focus on pylometric and core building workouts for injury prevention and balance and explosiveness and agility. Lineman and linebackers in the NFL need power and do the power lifts but they focus more towards high reps. 25x 250- 300 bench press

Maurice Greene olympic sprinter does lift weights 2x a week but for high reps and doesn't use weights more than 35 lbs and only about an 1 -1 1/2 hr long.

Weights do help but you have to consider what you are doing when lifting weights. Injury prevention, range of power, range of motion, agility, flexibility, overdevelopment, under development, isolated movements, compound movements, and how to correctly lift weights as well and their target groups.

I doubt Cus would let Tyson bench anything at 500. If Tyson benched that much he learned it in jail.

ricecrispi
08-11-2005, 03:06 PM
One final note.

Boxers prority number one is boxing skills. Punching power does little good with no boxing skills. You have to hit they guy first or avoid getting hit by him. #2 is stamina and lasting how many rounds you are fighting for. Boxers need that explosivness and power but that **** goes out the window if you gas out and can even keep your arms up to defend yourself.

900 squat is bull****, that is world record level lift in the 70-80's and Pro Competition level today.

B-rine I like you, this guys knows his **** and is 100% right. I would love to have this guy as my trainer.....
The problem B-rine is you promoting something most the poster can't even comprehend and go out and injure themselves or overdevelop certain muscle groups after reading what you post.
Lifting weights is good if you have a trainer like B-rine to supervise and tell you how many reps, what excercise to do, how much weight etc. I can tell you most boxers are from a poorer demographic and can't afford your services.

XionComrade
08-12-2005, 09:16 PM
900 squat is bull****, that is world record level lift in the 70-80's and Pro Competition level today.

B-rine I like you, this guys knows his **** and is 100% right. I would love to have this guy as my trainer.....
The problem B-rine is you promoting something most the poster can't even comprehend and go out and injure themselves or overdevelop certain muscle groups after reading what you post.
Lifting weights is good if you have a trainer like B-rine to supervise and tell you how many reps, what excercise to do, how much weight etc. I can tell you most boxers are from a poorer demographic and can't afford your services.

The record is 1200lbs, it isn't 900. I saw several *Cough*Juicers*Cough* on the strongman show that could squat 900+ and about all of em could bench 600+

Yeah Rine Deffinently knows his ****!

Im thinking of a new routine that has pyrometrics in it...

Monday-PowerClings 3 of 12
Deadlift 3 of 12
Pushjerk 3 of 12

Wednsday-BackSquats 2 or 3 of 50
Calfraises 3 of 50
FrontSquats 3 of 12

Friday- Same as Monday technically

Every day but one i do 1000pushups, and as many pullups as possible, varrying the hand placement. And some Abs, just not tooo much...lol

ricecrispi
08-13-2005, 06:12 AM
[QUOTE=XionComrade]The record is 1200lbs, it isn't 900. I saw several *Cough*Juicers*Cough* on the strongman show that could squat 900+ and about all of em could bench 600+

/QUOTE]

These guys also wieght like 250-300 lbs. I also said in 70-80's those were record numbers. 1050 lb record squat 2-3 years ago to give you an idea.

I think the American's records at 220-250 lb class bench is like 500-600's and squat is 600-750's. Again the numbers are pulled out off the ass hairs.

Tha Greatest
08-13-2005, 06:54 AM
How did this thread go to a bunch of bogus bull****?