View Full Version : help with left hooks and uppercuts

TheFlyingMan
04-10-2005, 09:17 AM
Hi guys, hope you can help me out with this, or perhaps links to good technique articles...

1) With the left hook, I've read many articles, saying that as you throw it, shift your weight to your right foot and swing your hips hard. Recently I've been throwing my left hooks with my weight ON my left foot, and I find my pivots are a lot harder, and I give the heavy bag a far better punch. Which one do you guys use?

2) similarly, I've been trying hard not to move my left arm, instead letting my body swing into the hook as a solid unit instead of swinging my body and my arm trails behind it a little bit. (does this make sense?) I feel this gives it more power, but it's a very hard habit to get. Any ideas? Or am I wrong?

3) Finally, I have no idea how to throw a left uppercut. Some trainers told me to bend my knees, and throw, swinging my weight upwards. Some tell me off when I bend my knees before I throw it. Some say my lower body moves just like a left hook, except my arm swings upwards.

A long post, sorry, but hope you guys can help. All the boxing books and stuff I have a very very light on uppercut techniques for some reason.

zip
04-10-2005, 09:30 AM
I never heard abut putting your weight on the right foot. I put all my weight on my left and pivot and smash it in somewhere.

The upper cut i can help you with.
I twist my body to the left so my right hand comes infront of my face and at the same time i bend my knees and i lower my body a bit. Most of my weight on my left foot. My right hand is now at my waist level with my thumb to the left.
I then take a small step forward and spring up with my knees and shoot the hand straight up and twist my body back to the right so everything from my arm to my shoulder and body is in one line.

This is how i do it becasue im short i jump forward which closes me in and gives me some extra power but you can very well remove that small step. Oh and im a orthodox fighter so if you're a southpaw just switch everything. Hope i helped a little.

BadMagick
04-10-2005, 10:18 AM
This is how i do it becasue im short i jump forward which closes me in and gives me some extra power but you can very well remove that small step. Oh and im a orthodox fighter so if you're a southpaw just switch everything. Hope i helped a little.

Roy Jones style jumping in? If so, probably not a good idea unless you're as fast as he was. Jumping in will get you KTFO.

My left hook is kinda crappy (cause it's awkward throwing it with my left, not body movement or power), but I push off with my right, and pivot on my left. I think that's what those articles are meaning to say. Push with the right (back leg) for power, and come around on your front leg.

Ark
04-10-2005, 01:25 PM
i agree with badmagick on the footwork, as for the punching what i usually do is.. concidering ur left hand is on ur face's level, lower it to ur chest level then move it outside ur body to the left a bit, now launch ur arm forward and slightly to the right then (Hit) =D). Make sure when ur doing the last bit ur fist and elbow are on the same level.Make sure u return

hope what i wrote is understandable but am in a bit of a rush!

zip
04-10-2005, 01:32 PM
oh no not like Roy at all. It's just a small step (5 cm max) but that's all i need.

TheFlyingMan
04-11-2005, 12:56 PM
thanks guys!

Dr.Pugilist
04-11-2005, 02:55 PM
Throwing a left hook:

Dig hard with the left (lead) foot and push through your hips. Generate torque through your waist and shoulders. Depending on whether or not your hook is at the beginning , end, or middle of a combination..you could shift your weight to your right foot or not. Shifting back to your rear foot of a hook with your guard up is a great defensive technique as well. You could also crouch low in a duck of a hook and then drive an uppercut.

My footwork is nearly the same on hooks as uppercuts.