View Full Version : Power

one-Punch
04-08-2005, 12:52 PM
How do I increase the power of my punch? Workouts and such?

elveiel
04-08-2005, 01:00 PM
Just watch Kostya Tszyu, technique is the first thing you learn, exercises come second.

Shaolin Bushido
04-08-2005, 02:06 PM
Just watch Kostya Tszyu, technique is the first thing you learn, exercises come second.This is the correct answer. Learn how to punch properly generating power from your waist and legs, etc. Aong the way if you're training properly you'll strenthen your legs, your core muscles, learn to punch on balance and sharpen your timing to become a more effective puncher.

random guy
04-08-2005, 07:41 PM
pivit, i get alot more power in my left hook when i pivit on my left foot

one-Punch
04-09-2005, 02:21 AM
Ok I understand the legs giving you power part, but I can't do squats and stuff like that because I have terrible knees, so I don't know how im going to work out my legs...

random guy
04-09-2005, 03:35 AM
can you do lunges or body squats?.

one-Punch
04-10-2005, 12:43 AM
I have no idea how to do workouts like that.... :confused:

random guy
04-10-2005, 03:30 AM
body squats are like when you squat down to poop but you go down farther.
lunges http://www.fitstep.com/Advanced/Exercises/Lunges.htm

boxer2k5
04-10-2005, 03:37 AM
work on punching proper and do your pushups pullups and othr calistetics

make sure you use your legs and hips and shoulders when you punch
its all about technique

i assume most of you guys dont have trainers
or you wouldnt be asking some of these questions

Eatit Amin
04-10-2005, 04:48 AM
Power comes from the feet, which free the hips to open up.

Working the heavy bag will do more for you than weights will, once you reach a good level of overall fitness.

Personally, I'd recommend a water bag, and that you also learn to kick. Learning to kick will teach you about opening the hips to really generate explosive core power & speed.

Eatit Amin
04-10-2005, 04:49 AM
When I say learn to kick, by the way, I mean as in Muay Thai, not Tae Kwon Do or Karate, which will not teach you the same thing.

Eatit Amin
04-10-2005, 04:52 AM
Also, one other thing, when you are learning to work combos, work them slowly at first, so that you really concentrate on footwork, balance, weight transfer and technique. Speed will come largely on its own, naturally, but with some quick leaps as you discover little things, like shortening up on some punches so that you don't get off balance for others. 1-2-3-6, for example, can be particularly difficult to do cleanly, in control & with power, until you have been training a while.