View Full Version : Muscles

one-Punch
04-07-2005, 06:16 PM
I am new at this, but I wanna become a boxer. I am already starting to run 30 minutes a day but I need to know what are the top most important upper muscles to work on? And what is the average weight a 160lb boxer can bench?

Thanks

Dyl-G
04-07-2005, 06:58 PM
you shouldnt bench, actually not lift weights at all, just keep running and go to a gym and get a trainer

triggerhappy
04-08-2005, 10:34 AM
why cant he bench or lift weights?

Mr.Talent
04-08-2005, 10:42 AM
you can bench...but i don't know whats the average weight 160 pounders can bench

buff_mike10
04-08-2005, 10:52 AM
He's crazy, you need to lift weights. Just don't become a body builder and bulk up to much, that will slow you down. You need to keep your felxibility. If your 160 i'd say a 230-260 bench would be great for you. You wouldn't be too bulky, but you'd have a good bit of power.

random guy
04-08-2005, 06:43 PM
i think i read shane mosley can bench like 350. i dont know if that true

{BrownBomber}
04-08-2005, 07:06 PM
What good did it do for Mosley? He got his ass kicked anyway. The most important thing in boxing is stamina. This is assuming you have fighting skills.If u do lift weights use little weight for endurance purposes only.

Dyl-G
04-08-2005, 11:04 PM
why not lift weights? jesus thats a really bad thing to do in boxing if you lift weights it creates more contracted muscles that gets tired easier, if you box your trainer will always tell you to stay relaxed and calm thats because if your muscles are expanded and not contracted blood can get to them easier and oxygen can flow to them easier keeping them from becoming exhausted. if you lift weights improparly youll become bulky and move like a robot. if you ever look at boxers bodies they arnt all huge they slim and cut because they have to stay light and quick both with their hands and their feet...imagine all the energy your wasting to get the oxygen to these huge muscles its better to stay away from weights if you box

patto1984
04-09-2005, 12:03 AM
why not lift weights? jesus thats a really bad thing to do in boxing if you lift weights it creates more contracted muscles that gets tired easier, if you box your trainer will always tell you to stay relaxed and calm thats because if your muscles are expanded and not contracted blood can get to them easier and oxygen can flow to them easier keeping them from becoming exhausted. if you lift weights improparly youll become bulky and move like a robot. if you ever look at boxers bodies they arnt all huge they slim and cut because they have to stay light and quick both with their hands and their feet...imagine all the energy your wasting to get the oxygen to these huge muscles its better to stay away from weights if you box

you can lift weights and keep your speed and endurance, look at the man in your avatar he used muscle contracting machines and was fast and fit as neone. I think you need weights for strenght and explosiveness training. As long as you strecth properly you should be fine and dont push your maximum load out all the time so you bulk up like a body builder.

Dyl-G
04-09-2005, 12:27 AM
thats what im sayin^^ dude lift less but do more reps, and resistance training is that same as plyometrics which doesnt use weights thats just body weights, im saying if your becoming a boxer there is no need to do weights boxing is supposed to be natural and your body is supposed to flow and be fast dont use weights for speed use plyometrics, punch with hand weights use resistance bands... dont bench press and do curls thinking your going to become faster and stronger, your strength comes from your technique not from how big your biceps are

random guy
04-09-2005, 12:57 AM
I WORK ARMS,SHOULDERS AND LEGS. i ONLY DO LEGS 2X A WEEK AND i ONLY USE DUMBELLS FOR MY UPPER BODY,FOR THE REST OF MY WORKOUT I USE my own body weight(DIPS, PULL-UPS)

boxerman
04-09-2005, 02:15 AM
To get body builder big you have to EAT body builder big. If that makes sense. You aren't going to grow huge muscles with out eating Huge amounts of food. If you can, then you will make more money in bodybuilding or modeling. And it hurts less.

abdiel2k3
04-09-2005, 02:18 AM
i think i read shane mosley can bench like 350. i dont know if that true
thats insane
i doubt it tho
a 154 guy "at most" benching 350
i just dont see it
i think thats what he squats

random guy
04-09-2005, 02:31 AM
i weigh about 150 and I squat that much. but yeah i dont see it either

patto1984
04-09-2005, 03:10 AM
if you can bench almost twice your weight then god damn your strong. its possible mosley can bench that much.
Vic darchynian at 112 pounds can bench around 195, thats a fact.

patto1984
04-09-2005, 03:11 AM
neone know how much tszyu can bench?

pinaldino
04-09-2005, 06:30 AM
thats insane
i doubt it tho
a 154 guy "at most" benching 350
i just dont see it
i think thats what he squats

I'm sure I read it too : he bench press 350, from his trainer (prior to his 1st fight at super welter with Raul Marquez) but boxing's never been a weight lifting contest and mosley looked slow and awkward in all his fights above welterweight.

Pugnacious_Z
04-09-2005, 07:19 AM
kosta tszyu benches 120kg, dats a fact, he said it himself, he works out alot, he likes it

czars_salad
04-09-2005, 07:49 AM
kosta tszyu benches 120kg, dats a fact, he said it himself, he works out alot, he likes it
what a demon!!! that weight could break my body to pieces

akins12732
04-09-2005, 09:12 AM
random guy you weigh 150 you cannot squat no 350 if you dont ever work out your legs besides your own body weight

Pugnacious_Z
04-09-2005, 10:51 AM
ye kosta is very strong. by the way, 120kg is 264 pounds. im kostas weight which is 138 pounds and im 16. i bench press 185 pounds. which is pretty good

buff_mike10
04-10-2005, 12:30 AM
random guy you weigh 150 you cannot squat no 350 if you dont ever work out your legs besides your own body weight
Sure he can, i weigh 162 and i can squat 400. My brother is 175 bench presses 415. Tyson was 215 in his prime and could bench 500. Everybody is different, my brothers arms are 20 1/4" and Tyson's were only 16", but Tyson could bench alot more.

random guy
04-10-2005, 02:16 AM
i said I do legs 2-3 times a week when i do do legs i do squats,cleans ploymetrics weighted lunges and a bunch of other stuff

boxer2k5
04-10-2005, 02:34 AM
you guys dont know anything

you dont need to lift weights

most of the greatest boxers ever never lifted weights

boxing isnt about muscles its about technique and endurence

not muscle
or power

power comes from technique
and endurance
being able to hit someone continusly with proper punching
technique is how you win

not lifting weights

only a select few lift weights
or lift weigths when they are going up weigth

thats the only reason i say to lift weigths for going up weight

get a trainer and let him tell you what you should be doing

Eatit Amin
04-10-2005, 04:32 AM
Try doing plyo pushups, and pullups, and try doing weights only with dumbells in resistances you can rep at least 50 times.

Then if you must, after getting a good sense of how this training is affecting your power & speed, try heavy weights.

Note the difference in your speed on each training cycle, then, when you train hands.

Different things work for different people, but mostly boxing and Muay Thai trainers emphasize high reps and explosive strength (i.e. fast reps but in control, with light weights).

If what you're after is cosmetic change, you'll be surpised how big you can get doing baby weights that you rep 100 times.

boxerman
04-10-2005, 05:23 AM
WHy does everyone think that being strong in boxing is a bad thing. thats a real old school way to think of things. for example you have two guys ....both are same weght and same speed. however, one of them is about 2 times stronger than the other one. who do you think wins. Oh, and they both have the same level of conditioning

BadMagick
04-10-2005, 09:28 AM

not muscle
or power

and endurance
technique is how you win

not lifting weights

If you do low-rep, low-weight lifts, you'll be fine. It'll increase strength, without bulking you up.

Ark
04-10-2005, 12:04 PM
i saw left wieghts but nothing heavy, just enought to get you cut!

random guy
04-10-2005, 01:38 PM

not muscle
or power

and endurance
technique is how you win

not lifting weights

i never said you should or shouldnt i lift weights because my trainer tells me to.

Kid Achilles
04-10-2005, 01:42 PM
Benchpressing doesn't even make you much stronger in the clinches. Look at Shane Mosley who benches 330. You'd think he'd be stronger than most light heavyweights, but in fact, I don't think he's even the strongest guy in his weightclass.

boxer2k5
04-10-2005, 02:48 PM
WHy does everyone think that being strong in boxing is a bad thing. thats a real old school way to think of things. for example you have two guys ....both are same weght and same speed. however, one of them is about 2 times stronger than the other one. who do you think wins. Oh, and they both have the same level of conditioning

that is not true
first off how often do you see 2 guys the same skill level same weight but one is twice as strong

second its mroe about styles than strength

noone said strength isnt important or bad
we jsut saying its not neccesary to work with weights
when training

you can get more than enough strength doing pushups and pullups

no need for weights in boxing

yeah some boxers use weights

but do you want to emulate them or do you want to emulate the great and legends

because they didnt use weights

boxer2k5
04-10-2005, 02:54 PM
If you do low-rep, low-weight lifts, you'll be fine. It'll increase strength, without bulking you up.

not really
i was heavy into weight lifting way before i boxed

low weight high reps will not get you stronger
it will get you cut and build endurence

but not strength
you msut push your body past its limits fro ti to get stronger
meaning you have to lift heavier than normal

and like i said if you want to get strong without bulkign up
if you are working out for boxing

do calistetics
do pushups, do dips, do pullups, chinups,
wide pullups, wide chinups,
do yoru situps, do your crunches,
do your squats, heel raises, duckwalk,
medicine ball workouts, and most important
work on technique

most boxers only lift to gain weight

Eatit Amin
04-10-2005, 03:30 PM
"low weight high reps will not get you stronger
it will get you cut and build endurence but not strength
you msut push your body past its limits fro ti to get stronger
meaning you have to lift heavier than normal"

Simply incorrect. Higher reps will get you more cut, that is true, because you're burning more calories (primarily), but as long as you make your muscles work more than they have been working, you will get stronger. If you can do 50 consecutive standing flys with 5 lbs (a good start for most people), it will only be a matter of time before you can do 100 at the same weight, and then 50 at 6 lbs, 7lbs, 8lbs, etc.). Your idea that you have to push your body past its previous limits (or really habits) is correct, but your idea that light weight and hi reps will not do that is in error.

As long as you are increasing the amount of work your muscles can do, you are getting stronger. That is what being stronger IS.

random guy
04-10-2005, 04:09 PM
look lets just leave it at this, If you want to lift than lift, if you dont then dont.
i lift because i want bigger arms and more powerful legs.

Eatit Amin
04-10-2005, 04:31 PM
RG, you know, you could have just said, "But these ones go to eleven."

lol

random guy
04-10-2005, 05:49 PM
RG, you know, you could have just said, "But these ones go to eleven."

lol
what are you talking about?

boxerman
04-10-2005, 06:02 PM
I think it all just boils down to personal preference. For me I feel stronger and more confident in the ring when I am stronger from lifting weights. For some, it may be different. Keep in mind im not doing a body builder type routine and im not eating huge amounts of food. And to get huge you have to eat "huge"

boxer2k5
04-11-2005, 12:31 AM
look lets just leave it at this, If you want to lift than lift, if you dont then dont.
i lift because i want bigger arms and more powerful legs.

thats not the point

the guy came and asked for advice
and we gave him each of our opinions

it has nothing to do with you personaly

Dr.Pugilist
04-11-2005, 12:50 AM
Bleh too much anecdote and not enough science, and this is the sweet science we're discussing...

There are fast twitch and slow twitch muscle fibers.

Fast twitch gives you explosiveness and power.

Slow twitch gives you strength over time...endurance.

Fast twitch = plyometrics and Olympic Weightlifting,
These exercises will increase strength and power but not primarily bulk you up. Exercises include clean and jerk(and press), sprints, jumping and a vertical leap program, most medicine ball exercises, clap-pushups, etc..

These exercises should be done with the utmost emphasis on fast , explosive movements, but never without proper form.

Slow twitch exercises are distance running and other roadwork, rope work, weights with greater than 15 reps , etc.

You could do both of these types of movements without gaining any serious weight if you do not stray from your real training.

What you want to avoid are bodybuilding type strength exercises. These are slow controlled movements of 6-12 reps that are primarily for building mass and wegiht room strength. These don't have much utility for a boxer...with the exception of squats. You will bulk up and become much slower period. Ever see the vertical leap on Ronnie Coleman? It's noexistent.

IMO squats have utility for a boxer because they help keep you strongly balanced even if you lose a bit of your equilibrium. I use Tua and Tyson as examples.

random guy
04-11-2005, 01:20 AM
boxer2k5 i know that. i was trying to say do what ever you want. you both have good arguments. i was just stating the only reason I lift is because i want to get biiger arms and such,which also supports my theary of do what you want. it also supports your theary being that i wouldnt lift if i didnt have small arms and weak legs. ;)

boxer2k5
04-11-2005, 01:58 AM
boxer2k5 i know that. i was trying to say do what ever you want. you both have good arguments. i was just stating the only reason I lift is because i want to get biiger arms and such,which also supports my theary of do what you want. it also supports your theary being that i wouldnt lift if i didnt have small arms and weak legs. ;)

i respect your trainign and opinion 100% homie

random guy
04-11-2005, 02:29 AM
does anyone now a normal arm size for a middle weight

Kid Achilles
04-11-2005, 02:39 AM
Well consider that 16" is what Tyson, Bruno, and many other heavyweights have. I'd say 14" or even 13" is a good size for a middleweight.

Dr.Pugilist
04-11-2005, 01:48 PM
Arm size is irrelevant in boxing. Even the biggest boxers had relatively small arms...Tyson...Foreman..Wlad....

It's all about the deltoids. You ever see a boxer with small delts?

Arm size does not equate to punching power either...compare Jameel Mccline to Vitali....or Morales ....or Oscar when he was a lightweight.

random guy
04-11-2005, 02:27 PM
I UNDERSTAND THAT I JUST WANT BIGGER ARMS, i KNOW IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BOXING

leff
04-11-2005, 04:26 PM
that is not true
first off how often do you see 2 guys the same skill level same weight but one is twice as strong

second its mroe about styles than strength

noone said strength isnt important or bad
we jsut saying its not neccesary to work with weights
when training

you can get more than enough strength doing pushups and pullups

no need for weights in boxing

yeah some boxers use weights

but do you want to emulate them or do you want to emulate the great and legends

because they didnt use weights

Actually im about twice as strong as a guy i spar and he is one year older and have trained 1year more and its big advantage, and were both about 185, (must admitt that he is 6inches taller than me).ps i dont lift weights.

Dr.Pugilist
04-11-2005, 08:06 PM
Wellll if you want mass in your arms here ya go....

Do all sets of the following in controlled motions...slow on the negative and a bit faster but not jerky on the positive part.
Do 6-10 reps :

Bench Press: great for chest and triceps

Dips : pectoralis minor as well as major..but a real killer for triceps.Compound movements with heavy weight build the most mass .

Nosebreakers (Skullcrushers): grab a barbell or an EZ curl bar, lie flat on your back or at a slight incline. Keep elbows in place and drop weight slowly to your forehead.Extend without bowing elbows out...enjoy

Tricep Extensions: Great crunch and isolation exercise

Triceps make up about 3/4 of your arm mass ....

EZ curls or barbell curls: get at least 8 good reps...squeeze the bicep at the top of the movement.

Reverse grip curls: Will work biceps as well as brachiradialis which is deep to the bicep around the elbow. This will add some width to your arm as well as build your fore

Ricomania77
04-11-2005, 09:17 PM
you can lift weights and keep your speed and endurance, look at the man in your avatar he used muscle contracting machines and was fast and fit as neone. I think you need weights for strenght and explosiveness training. As long as you strecth properly you should be fine and dont push your maximum load out all the time so you bulk up like a body builder.

yeah I think that stretching is one of the most important aspects. You wanna be strong, but you wanna keep your flexability.

Speedy Gonzales
04-12-2005, 12:47 AM
Nosebreakers (Skullcrushers): grab a barbell or an EZ curl bar, lie flat on your back or at a slight incline. Keep elbows in place and drop weight slowly to your forehead.Extend without bowing elbows out...enjoy

Dude, why not cut this out and so some SAFE incline bench press instead?

This excercise is dangerous, especially since he will be doing Heavy and Hard excercise to gain strength and muscle.