View Full Version : Heavy bag

jimbay
04-06-2005, 06:36 PM
how does everyone like to use the heavy bag

what's the best way to work out with it

I wanna know everyone's special little workouts too

BadMagick
04-06-2005, 06:39 PM
Nothing specific, but here's a couple good links for heavy bag workouts.

http://www.rossboxing.com/thegym/thegym18.htm
http://www.rossboxing.com/thegym/thegym24.htm

joeboxer
04-06-2005, 06:39 PM
First off just hit as hard as you can for as long as you can. You will probably not be able to go longer than a min. at first.

then pick a punch, say your left hook, and do it over and over and over untill you can't even lift up that arm anymore.

Also practice your combos.

Curly
04-06-2005, 06:52 PM
Lay it on the ground and practice ground & pound.

FrankJack
04-06-2005, 08:46 PM
I usually do 12 rounds working on different things. Different rounds I'll work on my jab, or left hook, right cross. Or I'll just work inside or do combinations. I try to do 5-6 rounds without taking a minute break.

Tha Greatest
04-07-2005, 12:16 AM
www.rossboxing.com is great

Use rounds to hit the bag

start with 2 minute rounds

throw lots of combinations

jabs, 1-2, 1-2 hook, 1-2 hook right hand, 1-1-2, throw lots of body shots

and u can do punchout drills where u throw jab-right-jab-right as fast and as hard as u can for 30 seconds or 1 minute etc.

Move ur head, counter, etc...

Then when u can do 3 minute rounds

somerounds work on power shots, or speed, or both, or u can see how many punches u can throw in a round(quality punches) etc..

Eatit Amin
04-10-2005, 04:21 AM
Personally, I like the big waterbags that aren't foam lined.

They feel more like hitting a human, and they give a bit more so they are easier on your joints while at the same time being sort of satisfying, because they give like flesh.

Also, they don't get all rock hard at the bottom over time, so that you can work knees and low kicks to them (if you want to train Muay Thai on the same bag). For conditioning the shins, the water bag is the best thing there is. The hard bottom of a cloth filled bag can be unhealthily hard, IMO, not just shin conditioning but for the hands & joints to take as well.

Eatit Amin
04-10-2005, 04:22 AM
If you've never used a small waterbag hung at about chest to chin height for uppercuts, by the way, you don't know what yer missin'.

Eatit Amin
04-10-2005, 04:22 AM
25th post. :) Wonder did I break the land speed record?

random guy
04-10-2005, 01:40 PM
i like the ross boxing stuff I started using that in january and it works so well

Tha Greatest
04-10-2005, 02:46 PM
I love water bags!

PeekaBooPooch
03-20-2008, 06:28 PM
Personally, I like the big waterbags that aren't foam lined.

They feel more like hitting a human, and they give a bit more so they are easier on your joints while at the same time being sort of satisfying, because they give like flesh.

Also, they don't get all rock hard at the bottom over time, so that you can work knees and low kicks to them (if you want to train Muay Thai on the same bag). For conditioning the shins, the water bag is the best thing there is. The hard bottom of a cloth filled bag can be unhealthily hard, IMO, not just shin conditioning but for the hands & joints to take as well.

Can you tell me what brand you use?

And the all waterbags(not the foamlined ones), do they feel more real than the foam lined ones?

Hope you can tell me something!