View Full Version : [HOLY S**T!] My PS3 got the YLOD the other day!!!

J.R
11-15-2009, 01:03 PM
So pissed off. I was playing Modern 2 when it froze, yellow light came on then started flashing red.

I have called Sony and they claim the YLOD death doesn't exist, that its an internet name comparing the fault to 'our rivals' - liars!! They know it exists, just that if they admit it, it means they have to pay to repair it themselves, but no, they want £128 out of me!!!

Well i am ringing back tomorrow and speaking to a manager, its a disgrace that after paying £350 for a machine that supposedly has a 10 yr life cycle, i have to pay to repair a manufacturing flaw which clearly isn't my fault.

I am refusing to pay it, i'd rather not have my PS3 out of principle.

Any ideas or tips to throw at them to get them to waive the fee? Same thing happened to my mate a few months ago and he complained and got it done for nothing in the end.

TheCheetah
11-15-2009, 04:02 PM
Daaaaaaaaaaamn man. I'd just get another one. Whats the chances of it getting the YLOD again compared to the 360?

DocHolliday
11-15-2009, 04:15 PM
Talk to a manager and bring up how you'll never deal with Sony again if they're not going to do what they should to satisfy the customer because Microsoft would gladly do what was neccessary to keep customers happy when it comes to product support. Company reps hate that ****, usually you talk about how you're gonna contact consumer affairs and let everybody you can know they don't back their products and you bring up the competition and they change their mind.

Or the easy way out is buy a new one, put your old one in the box, then have an older person or attractive girl you know bring it back (sales associates don't usually suspect **** from these people) have her say she bought it for kids birthday but the kids father already bought him one. The store just sends it back to the company so nobodies gettin screwed except Sony, the people who deserve to.

WhoreUs!
11-15-2009, 04:17 PM
So pissed off. I was playing Modern 2 when it froze, yellow light came on then started flashing red.

I have called Sony and they claim the YLOD death doesn't exist, that its an internet name comparing the fault to 'our rivals' - liars!! They know it exists, just that if they admit it, it means they have to pay to repair it themselves, but no, they want £128 out of me!!!

Well i am ringing back tomorrow and speaking to a manager, its a disgrace that after paying £350 for a machine that supposedly has a 10 yr life cycle, i have to pay to repair a manufacturing flaw which clearly isn't my fault.

I am refusing to pay it, i'd rather not have my PS3 out of principle.

Any ideas or tips to throw at them to get them to waive the fee? Same thing happened to my mate a few months ago and he complained and got it done for nothing in the end.
Ring up Watch Dog. There is a whole big thing going on.

Infern0
11-15-2009, 04:21 PM
I thought ps3's never broke?

J.R
11-15-2009, 04:36 PM
Daaaaaaaaaaamn man. I'd just get another one. Whats the chances of it getting the YLOD again compared to the 360?

I'll see if i can get it done for free 1st.

Talk to a manager and bring up how you'll never deal with Sony again if they're not going to do what they should to satisfy the customer because Microsoft would gladly do what was neccessary to keep customers happy when it comes to product support. Company reps hate that ****, usually you talk about how you're gonna contact consumer affairs and let everybody you can know they don't back their products and you bring up the competition and they change their mind.

Or the easy way out is buy a new one, put your old one in the box, then have an older person or attractive girl you know bring it back (sales associates don't usually suspect **** from these people) have her say she bought it for kids birthday but the kids father already bought him one. The store just sends it back to the company so nobodies gettin screwed except Sony, the people who deserve to.

All noted down, thanx mate.

Ring up Watch Dog. There is a whole big thing going on.

Yeah i saw that, i hope they clamp down on their balls.

Lol this is my 2nd one already.

WhoreUs!
11-15-2009, 04:37 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JTDXYbXhMo

J.R
11-15-2009, 05:10 PM
Cheers Rizo, watched that, but Watchdog don't say if they were successful with it....

Rockim'
11-15-2009, 05:31 PM
this happend to mine a couple of months ago. we brought it to repair shop and they said they couldnt fix it. but they bought some of the ps3 parts. and then we just bought a new ps3.

HotSizzle
11-15-2009, 05:33 PM
I work for playstation tech support and if you do req a sup its a 50/50 that they might waive the fee. The "YLOD" as its called exists but sony doesnt go by that name all the yellow light means is that theres a temp issue with the system but anyways gl with that.

peewee1460
11-15-2009, 05:38 PM
i've had my N64 for 13 years and i still play it. ****er works like new.

???
11-15-2009, 06:35 PM

Of course one or two will have problems, just like any other electronic product.

J.R
11-15-2009, 06:54 PM
I work for playstation tech support and if you do req a sup its a 50/50 that they might waive the fee. The "YLOD" as its called exists but sony doesnt go by that name all the yellow light means is that theres a temp issue with the system but anyways gl with that.

Thank you, is that 'request a supervisor'? any tips on what i can use to convince them? I mean i do not mistreat my system, i look after it carefully.

WhoreUs!
11-15-2009, 06:58 PM
Of course one or two will have problems, just like any other electronic product.

12 thousand people (that Sony are admitting to)

ßringer
11-15-2009, 11:55 PM
**** like this is bound to happen with new technology, especially when it comes to video game consoles.

Does that make it any easier to deal with? Absolutely not.

Call 'em back and request a supervisor, be very polite and try to explain it all the best you can to him. Hopefully that'll get you somewhere.

I do know that there's a growing internet movement of PS3 owners who've been stricken with the YLOD. Sony should set up some sort of customer support for this issue like Microsoft did with the 360.

Granted the 360's failure rate is a lot higher than the PS3, but I've been hearing an awful lot of reports about YLOD as of late and it sounds like it's starting to occur in larger numbers.

So it'd be best for them to get on the ball with correcting the problem now, rather than wait for it to potentially blow up in their face.

Microsoft lost an awful lot of customers by trying to pretend the problem didn't exist. Sony would be best suited to learn from their mistake.

J.R
11-16-2009, 07:39 AM
Gonna ring Sony now, wish me luck.

Mersey
11-16-2009, 07:44 AM
Are a lot of PS3's now breaking?

ßringer
11-16-2009, 08:23 AM
Are a lot of PS3's now breaking?

Nowhere near the amount of failures for the 360, but yes ; the amount of PS3's experiencing YLOD is increasing.

A friend of mine's and my sister's bf's have both YLOD'd in the past month.

And there's been an increase in reports of YLOD on the internet.

TheCheetah
11-16-2009, 08:33 AM
Of course the YLOD problem will increase.. I don't think it will ever reach the amount of RROD... in my opinion... Just too much Epic Fail on the 360.

Oasis_Lad
11-16-2009, 08:36 AM
Is the ****box still playing up? :rofl:

Clegg
11-16-2009, 09:07 AM
i've had my N64 for 13 years and i still play it. ****er works like new.

Yeah, still got a working N64 as well, although it isn't my first one.

My understanding is that the simpler design+lack of moving parts is a big part of the reason why older consoles are more reliable.

J.R
11-16-2009, 09:29 AM
Yeah, still got a working N64 as well, although it isn't my first one.

My understanding is that the simpler design+lack of moving parts is a big part of the reason why older consoles are more reliable.

Yeah its the same with mobile phones.

Left2body
11-16-2009, 09:39 AM
Damn, thats tough luck Lock especially since I play with you sometimes and can often use a good teammate.

Yes, the PS3's sometimes break down but lets not make this a 360vsPS3 thread.

Also of all my systems the only one that never FULLY break down was my 360's. My original Nintendo still works although even when I was a kid I remember having to blow into the cartridges and fiddling with the system to make it work but eventually it does work.

Sega-Genesis still works as well as my ps1 but my ps2 cd tray open close mechanism broke about a month before the PS3 launch.

$partacus
11-16-2009, 01:52 PM
Damn, thats tough luck Lock especially since I play with you sometimes and can often use a good teammate.

Yes, the PS3's sometimes break down but lets not make this a 360vsPS3 thread.

Also of all my systems the only one that never FULLY break down was my 360's. My original Nintendo still works although even when I was a kid I remember having to blow into the cartridges and fiddling with the system to make it work but eventually it does work.

Sega-Genesis still works as well as my ps1 but my ps2 cd tray open close mechanism broke about a month before the PS3 launch.

I had a SNES and some games would take ages to get working, the joy of getting a game to work after 15 minutes of pushing the cartridge in and pulling it out was better than playing the damn game. :biggthump

J.R
11-18-2009, 06:53 AM
Just to let you know, i eventually spoke to a supervisor, they won't budge on the fee, they say that is a compromise already and its policy. But i refused to pay it and that was it.

The Scientist
11-18-2009, 11:13 PM
I bought a 20 Gig PS3 pre-owned and it has been rock solid. I've left it on for several days at time, until that burning plastic smell would stink my room up, it still runs great after all that punishment. I suppose it depends specifically on the quality of each individual system. Some people get defective system that may not be apparent at first, but the problems may be latent.

Do you have the slim or one of the previous models?

If you don't have the slim, you should maybe consider getting it. Less energy output due to its size, which means better thermal control. No heat, no break.