View Full Version : Hardest kicker vs. Hardest puncher?

jack_the_rippuh
04-04-2005, 04:24 PM
I heard Vitali got KO'd in kicking boxing before by a kick.

Are kicks really that much harder than punches? Which would produce more power, a hard shot from the hardest kicker or a hard shot from the hardest puncher?

Alot of people say punchers are born, not made...how about kickers? Can you develop kicking power?

paul750
04-04-2005, 04:27 PM
yeah a kick is a lot harder than a punch, the leg is a much more powerful weapon than the arm, it's a lot stronger, if you watch some of the old bruce lee footage you wiil see just how powerful it can be, a lot more powerful than a very hard punch

leff
04-04-2005, 04:29 PM
i koed a guy during sparring 3 weeks ago to the liver with a right round kick.

The leg muscles is bigger and stronger than the arms, by my experience a kick can be more powerful, but kicking is harder to learn and takes more energy.

if i remember he lost tko cause his corner gave him upp cause off some injury, he has never been koed.

JulietWhiskey
04-04-2005, 04:35 PM
i koed a guy during sparring 3 weeks ago to the liver with a right round kick.

Am I the only one who finds this a tad weird?

leff
04-04-2005, 04:52 PM
Am I the only one who finds this a tad weird?

why cause i mainly do boxing??

Curly
04-04-2005, 06:09 PM
Liver shots suck. I keep my elbow tucked just to block those nasty things. First time I took a punch to the liver I thought I was going to throw up. Knees and kicks to the liver will put you on your back too quick

BadMagick
04-04-2005, 06:37 PM
I imagine the kick is harder, but the punch can't be that far behind it, considering that a power puncher uses his legs to throw the punch, and all. I know that, personally, my punches are a lot stronger than my kicks. That's because I can't kick for ****, though.

leff
04-04-2005, 07:44 PM
Liver shots suck. I keep my elbow tucked just to block those nasty things. First time I took a punch to the liver I thought I was going to throw up. Knees and kicks to the liver will put you on your back too quick

only if your the one getting hit by them.

blockburna944
04-04-2005, 08:10 PM
i'm sure kicks provide more power, but a punch is just a lot easier to be accurate on for most people. i havent watch too much mma, kickboxing, etc., but it seems like most kicks, which arent "thrown" often anyway, end up going to the other guys legs or getting blocked. punches can be thrown more often and more accurately, so even if theyre not as powerful theyre more damaging.

jack_the_rippuh
04-04-2005, 10:44 PM
So are kickers born or can a hard kicker be made?

Konstantin
04-04-2005, 11:35 PM
Im gonna have to go with blockburna on this one. If you were the measure the kick power and punchpower on a mat or something like in Rocky IV the kick would be more powerful. But the ability to aim a punch makes it a lot more deadly. And I have no idea if kickers are born but im guessing they are. Cant think of a reason punchers are born and kickers arent...

leff
04-05-2005, 01:23 PM
yeah i saw some documentary were the testes a guys kicking power it was ****ing insane, harder than a heavyweights punch.

FXXI
04-05-2005, 03:08 PM
The kick is much stronger but you can not pull it off as fast as a punch.

kapersky
04-05-2005, 04:08 PM
a kick is much harder of course, legs got bigger muscles and bone. a good kicker can if it hit perfectly be deadly but a punch knock you out immedely. i would say a hard kicker can be made not necessary born. if you train hard you can be anything(like evander said :)).

BadMagick
04-05-2005, 05:46 PM
a kick is much harder of course, legs got bigger muscles and bone. a good kicker can if it hit perfectly be deadly but a punch knock you out immedely. i would say a hard kicker can be made not necessary born. if you train hard you can be anything(like evander said :)).

A properly placed punch can kill you in one shot, as well. You have to hit the spot just right.

I think punching is more effective, even though that isn't asked, because a kick, that isn't to the legs, needs some set up time, and is generally seen before it can be... kicked. Not to mention that if you can get inside of the kick it's useless, because all the power is on the end of it, so, if you don't try to dodge it, and walk into the guy, you can take a kick pretty effectively, and counter really well, too. (Shot to the nuts, stomach, chin, anywhere; generally this is for high kicks) Also, the legs are the first thing to go, so if you can get a few good shots to the body, they would lose a lot of their power, and a slight loss of balance = no more kicks; no more punches either, though.

kapersky
04-06-2005, 04:15 AM
A properly placed punch can kill you in one shot, as well. You have to hit the spot just right.

I think punching is more effective, even though that isn't asked, because a kick, that isn't to the legs, needs some set up time, and is generally seen before it can be... kicked. Not to mention that if you can get inside of the kick it's useless, because all the power is on the end of it, so, if you don't try to dodge it, and walk into the guy, you can take a kick pretty effectively, and counter really well, too. (Shot to the nuts, stomach, chin, anywhere; generally this is for high kicks) Also, the legs are the first thing to go, so if you can get a few good shots to the body, they would lose a lot of their power, and a slight loss of balance = no more kicks; no more punches either, though.

i know, one good punch can kill as well. but average a good kicker kick´s is more powerfull than a average punch both can kill. punching is more effective and accurecy but the thread is witch is harder?, kicker or puncher i would say kicker but its like you said easy to block so i rather be a good puncher than kicker.

jeffmills
04-06-2005, 06:06 AM
kickers can be made, but some are natural kickers.

Just some punchers can be made but some are natural punchers.

Kicks are harder than punches, but most KO's come from punches mainly because they aim for the head, wheras kicks tend to aim for the legs and body.

The Troll
04-06-2005, 11:39 AM
Kicks cause way more damage in K-1 alot of fights are stopped because of injuries guys take from kicks to the knees and legs.

I was watching this K-1 tounament once and this guy knocked out everybody with his fists in like 17 seconds he fought, but in the final match of the tournament he got stopped on a leg kick, that injured him.

xrhythmxnxbluesx
04-06-2005, 11:55 AM
in my view... i ono think kickers are born kickers it takes time to develop it... i've been doing muay thai kickboxing for over 6 years... and when i first started i couldnt even kick right... it takes time to develop a lethal kick... and a harder kick will beat a harder punch... with more muscle and strength the kick is harder...

FrankJack
04-06-2005, 12:21 PM
I always thought that kicks (if developed) were stronger than most punches. The legs support most of the body's weight throughout the day right? I don't think the arms can constantly support weight like that without being damaged.

Ark
04-06-2005, 04:32 PM
punchers are born but no mistake they can also be made!

XionComrade
05-17-2006, 10:10 PM
Yeah Leg muscles are alot stronger than arm muscles, but more of a Haymaker comes from your legs than a roundouse kick does...Punches can be harder, Earnie Shavers deffinently has the hardest strikes in history either way.

yrrej
05-17-2006, 11:02 PM
A hard kick is harder than a hard punch, given equal sized fighters, but also much harder to land. Just as in punching, some kickers are naturally better than others. The rules make the fights. We aren't talking "reality" here....

Ukr_Alex
05-18-2006, 12:20 AM
Definetly a kick. And I will admit to my kicks being better then my punches. I can put an apple on your head and knock it off clean withouht ever touching your head.

THe problem with kicks is that it drains your energy big time. A couple of hard kicks on the bag and I really feel draiend sometimes.

Plus the older I get the more I have to stretch. I once took a month long brake from any leg exercises or stretching and it took me 2 weeks of stretching to do the splits again :(

JDizzle79
05-18-2006, 01:23 AM
cro cop has the most powerful kick in MMA

Zamora
05-18-2006, 07:09 AM
i would think a kick would be harder due that your quad being the biggest muscle you have and thats it really...

Heckler
05-18-2006, 07:18 AM
Anyone that thinks the hardest punch is more powerful then the hardest kick is deluded... a prime peter aerts head kick... no punching power can compare.

Heckler
05-18-2006, 07:21 AM
yeah a kick is a lot harder than a punch, the leg is a much more powerful weapon than the arm, it's a lot stronger, if you watch some of the old bruce lee footage you wiil see just how powerful it can be, a lot more powerful than a very hard punch

Please do not use BRUCE LEE as an example for kicking, he had a decent set of kicks but does not compare favourably with the K-1 guys, kyokushin boys, and Muay Thai exponents

cobracore
05-18-2006, 09:50 AM
I thai box, and i'd put it this way.

A punch is to kick as a knife is to a chair.

Punches are more accurate and more controllably, and can do just as much damage. But a Kick is like a blunt force, and it can create lots of openings. A Punch to the arm or shoulder from the side won't knock anyone down. A good roundhouse will knock a man off his feet, regardless of where it hits.

When i spar, i usually kick on the outside and use my arms as a guard. My legs aren't that strong, however.

When my coach spars with us, he throws a kick, and you'll literally stumble backwards or the side. Then he'll step in and throw a hook or an upper.

Lights out.

hemichromis
05-18-2006, 02:30 PM
kicks are more powerful but they are also slower, the easiest way to deal with a kicker is to get close then they really cant do much

LoftyDog
05-18-2006, 02:42 PM

No, you can sidekick someone if you are real close to them, especily if you have a good chamber, not to mention its harder to see a kick like that when you are close so they might not be able to brace for it. I wouldnt wanna get kicked in the stomach when I didnt see it coming.

As a general rule, a kick is more powerful than a bunch because the muscles in the legs are bigger. Plus kicking someone with your shin is just nasty. The bad thing is kicks take a lot more energy, are slower, and are usually less accurate. That doesnt mean you can't be accurate with a kick though. You see some people throw an ax kick and aim right for a guy's collar bone.

hemichromis
05-19-2006, 02:58 PM
i can kick hard but in the same trime it takes to kick i could have landed at least 2 accurate punches

aljon
05-19-2006, 04:01 PM
Of course kicks are harder, kicks are much heavier than punches, try for example a soccer ball, you could throw it way farther with a kick then by hand...

tnerb
05-29-2006, 12:57 PM
kicks are harder definatly, and to those who doubt their effectiveness, look up the great kickboxer Jean Yves Theriault. Also known as the Iceman.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean-Yves_Theriault

In kickboxing, the most effective kicks usually come when they are properly set up with a punching combination. I had the priviledge of sparring with the former canadian champ kickboxer, Tony Black, and I didnt even see most of his kicks coming.