View Full Version : Ali Vs Lewis

typeone
04-04-2005, 05:57 AM
If Ali and Lewis was around at the same time who do you think would win?, And how do you the fight would have been won? :boxing: :boxing: :boxing:

kapersky
04-04-2005, 06:31 AM
If Ali and Lewis was around at the same time who do you think would win?, And how do you the fight would have been won? :boxing: :boxing: :boxing:

ali with his speed and chin. ud for ali, very close fight either can win but i say ali.

kidrock
04-04-2005, 08:16 AM
IMO definetly Ali would win this one, pretty easily I think.

Too much heart, too much speed, too much confidence and too much class for Lewis!!

Ali all the way

kingmo
04-04-2005, 11:41 AM
Lennox Lewis couldn't hit Ali with a hand full of rice!!

kapersky
04-04-2005, 11:46 AM
Lennox Lewis couldn't hit Ali with a hand full of rice!!

:p
hahha

kidrock
04-04-2005, 12:01 PM
Thats a pretty good observation there kingmo!!

Sinatra.Jr
04-04-2005, 02:05 PM
Ali would win Lewis by dec.Ali has much better speed ,tecknique,tough heart,good tin.avery points but punching pour ali is too much better than Lewis.But Lewis used to be more strong as usual at big much like Tyson ,Bowe(Olympic final),Holy and so on.That's why that special bout will be close one,so i tink Ali won by dec.not by KO.

EvilMark
04-04-2005, 02:40 PM
Ali Would beat him by UD because Ali is more faster than lewis
and he float like a butterfly and sting like a bee :cool: :cool:

typeone
04-04-2005, 03:14 PM
LOL very good Kingmo! But I do agree with you guys but, Do you not think that Lewis would be able to adapt to Ali's Style like he has done with nearly every other GOOD fighter he has had. Lewis is a thinker and so is and has the tools of the trade like Ali! If Henry Cooper did the job on him but got robbed why not Lewis...Ali is the greatest Boxer for me but to be Honest I couldn't call this one..When it matters Lewis always comes through as does Ali..He never has Ducked a fight either same as Ali. Maybe a SPLIT?

Kid Achilles
04-04-2005, 05:33 PM
"When it matters Lewis always comes through"

No he didn't. He didn't come through against McCall and Rahman the first times around and he was close to getting beaten by Vitali. I'd say he lost in dissapointing fashion at the worst possible times of his career, when people were just starting to warm to the idea of him as a dominant champion. He looked great against Ruddock and Bruno and then got his ass knocked out by McCall. He completely outclassed Tua and then got knocked out by Rahman.

This was the trend of his career, to lose when people were just starting to respect him.

dansweeney
04-04-2005, 05:41 PM
ali via knockout in the 3rd round, ali would check that chin with lightning combos, shaky chin versus speed and iron chin, ill take ali

bigrealmike
04-04-2005, 05:49 PM
ali with his speed and chin. ud for ali, very close fight either can win but i say ali.

Ali would win only a "close fight " over someone with Lewis style? Amazing . As much as I've liked Lennox over the years, some of his fans are just as myopic. Ali would have an easy night with Lewis or stop him altogether, just as he knocked the biggest sluggers he ever faced right the f*ck out.

random guy
04-04-2005, 06:28 PM
ALI VS LEWIS
LETS see one had his own era and is possibly one of the greatest sportsman of all time.

the other is known for being champ after tyson went south. hmmmmmmmmmmmm lets see

typeone
04-04-2005, 06:34 PM
Kid Achilles, Have read your views!!O Ali never lost did he......? If Ali never lost then I would agree with you, But hay he has done and you seem to know your S**t so I guess I don't have to fill you in with those facts.And the Henry Cooper thing, You could say he beat Ali (Unless You Seen A Dif Fight Than me) and he lost 14 times As I said I do agree that Ali would win 80% But I think Lewis would have a chance!Lewis only does what he thinks is enough to beat a fighter, nothing more nothing less, I guess he gauges his fighters against his training needed.? He can be a bit of a Lazy git at times. As for Rahman you havin a laugh or what? He was suprised more than anyone.That was a sucker punch hehe. The guy was so damn lucky you can only laugh, we all make mistakes. As for McCall NO COMMENT.

PopA
04-04-2005, 06:54 PM
Ali by KO or easy UD. He took one of the biggest bombs I've ever seen (frazier 1st fight) and got straight back up. He took so many murderous body shots during his career and didn't flinch. I can't see lewis hurting him with anything.

chito
04-05-2005, 01:12 AM
ali by unanimous decision. lewis' advantage is his power but can he knock out ali? no! so it's expected he would lose this one! tyson has a better chance of winning against ali not lewis!

bigrealmike
04-05-2005, 04:21 PM
ali by unanimous decision. lewis' advantage is his power but can he knock out ali? no! so it's expected he would lose this one! tyson has a better chance of winning against ali not lewis!

Ali versus Tyson is a total mismatch, with a very frustrated Tyson looking like he doesn't belong in the ring. Easy night for Ali.

Kid Achilles
04-05-2005, 05:10 PM
I agree with you that Ali wasn't the perfect fighter he is remembered as. Yes it's true that his trainer Dundee gave him a little help in the Cooper fight (widening a small tear in his glove to buy time for Ali to recover) but he did go on to cut Cooper to pieces. More importantly, he gave Cooper a rematch where he diced him up again.

You can draw a parallel to that fight where Lewis was put in a similar situation against Vitali Klitschko. Like in Ali-Cooper, the champ Lewis (well Ali was not quite champ when he fought Cooper but he was the betting favorite) had trouble with an underdog challenger until he finally managed to open up a cut and save himself. The fight was stopped, much to the dissapointment of everyone who saw it. Well, everyone but diehard Lewis fans. : )

The difference in this comparison is that Ali gave Cooper a rematch (even though he had won that fight fair and square) to prove to the world he could beat Cooper decisively. Lewis did not do this and in my opinion it's very telling as to the kind of fighter he is compared to Ali. Lewis was satisfied over a weak tko victory in a fight that he was losing on the scorecards.

It's true that he won the fight fair and square but he did not look like the better fighter while doing so. He looked to be in as much danger as Vitali until the stoppage.

What kind of a farewell fight is that for a champion? If Lewis wants to truly prove his greatness, he will come back and erase any doubt of his superiority over Vitali. Until then, people are going to continue to criticize him.

Sir_Jose
04-05-2005, 05:29 PM
I agree with you that Ali wasn't the perfect fighter he is remembered as. Yes it's true that his trainer Dundee gave him a little help in the Cooper fight (widening a small tear in his glove to buy time for Ali to recover) but he did go on to cut Cooper to pieces. More importantly, he gave Cooper a rematch where he diced him up again.

You can draw a parallel to that fight where Lewis was put in a similar situation against Vitali Klitschko. Like in Ali-Cooper, the champ Lewis (well Ali was not quite champ when he fought Cooper but he was the betting favorite) had trouble with an underdog challenger until he finally managed to open up a cut and save himself. The fight was stopped, much to the dissapointment of everyone who saw it. Well, everyone but diehard Lewis fans. : )

The difference in this comparison is that Ali gave Cooper a rematch (even though he had won that fight fair and square) to prove to the world he could beat Cooper decisively. Lewis did not do this and in my opinion it's very telling as to the kind of fighter he is compared to Ali. Lewis was satisfied over a weak tko victory in a fight that he was losing on the scorecards.

It's true that he won the fight fair and square but he did not look like the better fighter while doing so. He looked to be in as much danger as Vitali until the stoppage.

What kind of a farewell fight is that for a champion? If Lewis wants to truly prove his greatness, he will come back and erase any doubt of his superiority over Vitali. Until then, people are going to continue to criticize him.

Did Lennox Lewis shoot your dog?

typeone
04-05-2005, 05:40 PM
Thanks for the good reading! You know your stuff kid ;)

czars_salad
04-05-2005, 11:31 PM
ali will kill tyson. i dont think tyson can land a single punch on ali.

Ark
04-06-2005, 05:32 PM
Ali for sure!

DR. FREECLOUD
04-28-2005, 08:15 AM
the one thing you have to remember about ali was that it was very common to go 15 rounds. and i'm not talking 15 slow boring rounds. lennox lewis went 12 a handful of times and they were imo boring fights. ali would have moved way too much for lewis. by the 5th round lewis would be way tired and would make for an easy late round ko/tko for ali. i mean c'mon, ali went 15 rounds 13 times. lewis had 5 12 round snoozer fights. don't get me wrong, lewis was a good fighter, but not on the same level as ali. ali could wear down a big guy like lewis and take him out in the end. i just don't see lewis making it past 13 rounds not even in his prime.

Palma
04-28-2005, 01:08 PM
I would rather see a young George Foreman fight Lennox Lewis. That would be the match up of the big men!

Southpaw16
04-28-2005, 04:49 PM
I might actually go with Lewis. I think he would be too big and too strong for Ali. This is why I don't like comparing fighters from different time periods in terms of who can beat who. I think that fighters should be judged based on how they did against the opposition that was there in the particular time period they fought in. I think Lewis could beat Ali, but the reason why is because back when Ali fought there were no heavyweights who were 6'5 250 who were anywhere near as good as Lewis. That does not mean that Lewis was a greater champion than Ali, in fact he was not even close to being as great as Ali. Another example would be if Vitali Klitschko were to go back in time to fight Joe Louis. Klitschko would win easily I think. But it is a completely unfair comparison because of the size of Klitschko and the fact that heavyweights were soo much smaller in the Joe Louis era.

sc21A
04-28-2005, 04:59 PM
I agree with ali because of the quickness and Heart, but I wouldn't say it would be a dominating fight I mean it would be pretty good and would probably go the distance on however many rounds it was scheduled for, but liek I said would be a very close and entertaining fight.

dangerousity
04-28-2005, 05:21 PM
Yeah, i'd have to agree with southpaw16.
Although i really like ali and desperately wanted him to demolish lewis if they did fight, i think prime lewis would win.
Ali never fought anyone like lewis and i don't think he'd would of been able to fight his fight against lewis.
Lewis was alot taller with a good stiff jab and a powerful right hand, this means ali wouldn't of been able to use his reach against him.
Ali would just be outboxed for 12 rounds, ali's not perfect because he lost to ken norton and two desperate winning decisions.
Lewis wouldn't be able to knock out ali because of his chin and ali didn't have the power to worry lewis.
Ali was alot lighter than lewis in his prime weighing only at 210 pounds and lewis weighing at 250, that's a 40 pound difference.
But the thing about ali is that he always seemed to find a way to win in the ring against all odds.
The disscusion about mike tyson against ali is different, two unique different styles and who would win if they both fought in their primes.
I don't really know about this one because when mike was in his prime he was a monster with the killer instinct to beat any man.
The posts here are a bit silly, eg.tyson wouldn't of landed a punch against ali and it would be an easy match, c'mon that's rubbish.
Mike was a very fast fighter, his headmovement and bodypunching were excellent and he was the most explosive fighter in history. His handspeed was very fast and his power and accuracy were extraordinary.
Very hard match to call, ali would have to take control of the match and not get intimidated and bullied by tyson in order to win.

J !
04-29-2005, 07:47 AM
depends which ali and which lewis.

prime ali beat everyone imo.

prime lewis beats most (maybe ali, louis holmes and foreman would be my picks to give Len probs.)

someone like marciano would just find the weight and height disadvantages too much for example.

Hunna
04-29-2005, 09:25 AM
ALI ALL THE WAY! HE HAD TOO MUCH MOVEMENT AND SPEED FOR HEAVYEIGHTS FULLSTOP.Tyson was good if u stood infront of him, Lewis looked good if opponents tried to trade from outside a grapple, becos Lewis had awesome reach. Foreman didnt look human when he fought, he was like a cyborg trying to kill with every punch, prime foreman would demolish heavyweight pretenders of today.

DR. FREECLOUD
04-29-2005, 12:01 PM
ALI ALL THE WAY! HE HAD TOO MUCH MOVEMENT AND SPEED FOR HEAVYEIGHTS FULLSTOP.Tyson was good if u stood infront of him, Lewis looked good if opponents tried to trade from outside a grapple, becos Lewis had awesome reach. Foreman didnt look human when he fought, he was like a cyborg trying to kill with every punch, prime foreman would demolish heavyweight pretenders of today.

some people just don't get that. plus ali was good for 15 rounds. lennox on a good night may be good for 8 rounds. ali hands down

Cambria
04-29-2005, 08:38 PM
Lewis by decision. Great ring general and wouldn't let any of Ali's tactics get to him.

Cambria
04-29-2005, 08:39 PM
Ali never lost? Ali vs Fraz I.

hollister
04-29-2005, 10:05 PM
LOL very good Kingmo! But I do agree with you guys but, Do you not think that Lewis would be able to adapt to Ali's Style like he has done with nearly every other GOOD fighter he has had. Lewis is a thinker and so is and has the tools of the trade like Ali! If Henry Cooper did the job on him but got robbed why not Lewis...Ali is the greatest Boxer for me but to be Honest I couldn't call this one..When it matters Lewis always comes through as does Ali..He never has Ducked a fight either same as Ali. Maybe a SPLIT?

If we're talking about the Ali that fought Liston and Williams, Lewis wouldn't have enough reach advantage to compensate for the speed handicap he would have. lewis wouldn't even be able to land a jab on Ali, and Henry Cooper was twice as fast as Lewis, just too small to ever be able to compete with someone like Lewis. I think the same would apply to the Klits, they're just too big to match speed with someone like Ali. I say Ali by late TKO.

hollister
04-29-2005, 10:18 PM
Ali never lost? Ali vs Fraz I.

I love Frazier, but wasn't Ali already a different fighter than he was against Liston by that point? (That's my second favorite Ali fight by the way, behind Ali-Williams.)