View Full Version : Techniques for Fighting Southpaws?

jeffmills
04-03-2005, 10:15 AM
Now I understand the basics to have down when fighting a southpaw(assuming one is orthodox) is make use of the straight right hand, stay on the outside of his lead foot, and bring your lead hook and uppercut more into play as your jab isn't so useful against a leftie.

What other tactics and techniques does every have to share?

Thanks

leff
04-03-2005, 11:59 AM
my best weapon gainst soutpaws are my left hook both upp and down. the straight right is good too.

Rockin'
04-03-2005, 12:44 PM
the basics for fighting a left hander include the things that you said but you should also continuously move to your left while shooting the straight rights. Follow with the hooks.

One thing to do aswell if he is getting you with his jab is to get the timing and instead of always pawing at it with your left glove, slip your head forward and to the left and just stick your right hand out. He will run right into it. Its tough to get the timing but once you do it changes the fight for you. So slip the shot to the left and shoot the right and follow to the body or head with the hook..........Rockin' :boxing:

PunchDrunk
04-03-2005, 01:36 PM
I've had some succes getting the other guy to start off with his left, step to the right and come back with the straight right. For this to work, you must make him think you're going to the left every time though, so it'll take him by surprise. This move only works when the traditional moves have been established against the opponent, and only as a way to put variation into your work. Keep him guessing what you'll do next.

Rockin'
04-03-2005, 02:19 PM
The problem with moving to your right is that you are lining yourself up for his power shots to come directly at you. If your foot is on the outside of his, to the left of his lead foot, then you are alined to throw and land your power while moving to your left. Move to your right and his power is aligned while yours is no longer.

Aswell, lead, straight rights to the body are good against southpaws, get low and let the shot rip and then follow with the hooks and rights...........Rockin'

PunchDrunk
04-03-2005, 03:11 PM
In general yes. However, when/if the opponent starts off with his left, which a southpaw will often do, he steps out and goes to MY left (he does this for the exact same reasons I would when starting with my right, to get his front foot on the outside), which makes room for me to step to the right. When I step to the right, I also turn a little, which means that I am now facing him, while he is facing slightly to my left. By doing this I have created an angle where I can start off with my right hand, while he still has to turn to face me. When I've thrown my punch, he'll be off balance, and I'll have plenty of room to move to the center of the ring. To be able to do this, obviously, you have to be able to time the move perfectly. I've done this with pretty good succes.

boxer2k5
04-03-2005, 07:31 PM
im a southpaw and a good right hand works agaisnt me
btu thats only when i step to my left

jab

i fight southpaws liek i fight orthadox
it dont mattr to me