View Full Version : Famous Chicago Boxers?

The Italian Stallion
04-01-2005, 07:38 PM
C'mon, I can't think of any but there has to be some famous boxers to come out of the Windy City Boxing Gym.

The Italian Stallion
04-01-2005, 08:06 PM
*bump*_)+)*_)(&)_*&_*((*)_(_

Rockin'
04-01-2005, 08:54 PM
Bobby Hitz, the one time fighter who is now the big time chicago promoter. Hes famous to me aleast..............Rockin'

leff
04-02-2005, 03:15 AM
clubber lang is from chicago

The Troll
04-05-2005, 03:25 AM
Golota
Angel Manfready

are the two I can think of off the top of my head

My great grandfather boxed in a chicago boxing league in like the 20's or 30's or something.

Alot of the Chicago public parks still have boxing gyms but nobody uses them, I dont live in the city of Chicago but I know that much.

The Troll
04-05-2005, 03:30 AM
I think I am going to go to this
All you can drink and boxing for 65$ aint a bad deal

http://www.hitzboxing.com/upcoming.html

The Troll
04-05-2005, 03:40 AM
Bobby Hitz, the one time fighter who is now the big time chicago promoter. Hes famous to me aleast..............Rockin'

Hitz's headliner is Art "The Polish Warrior" Binkowski
he is kinda a bum, he got a gift descision in his last fight but he used to be a sparring partner for Lennox Lewis,and is the Illinois State Heavyweight Champion, but he is not fighting at the next Hitz promotin at Bourbon Street in Marrionette Park. But Art is Polish Canadian, not from Illinois, not a chicago fighter, but all his fights are in Chicago at the Ramada Inn in Rosemont usually. He fights out of Windsor Ontario which is like a 4.5 hour drive from Chicago.

http://www.hitzboxing.com/fightphotos/novcardpix/images/11-26-03%20Binkowski-Cawley%208.jpg

Rockin'
04-05-2005, 04:49 AM
Thanks for the link. I just sent him an e-mail saying hello and seeing if he remembered me. We got into a heated one down at the gym one day, it was funny man. That guy was fun..............Rockin' :boxing:

BadMagick
04-05-2005, 04:59 AM
Golota is a bum, and I'm ashamed to have him fight from Chicago. Seriously, the man has no heart at all. The least he could have done was just gone down from a Tyson shot, but no, the ***** just leaves the fight. What he did was inexcusable, and I haven't liked him since I saw that. The loss before that he got the **** kicked out of him, and he had good reason to stop. His face was all battered after that guy unleashed on him. Against Tyson he took a few shots, and clinched. He wasn't hurt, aside from a tiny cut above his eye, and he still left the fight. What a coward.

czars_salad
04-05-2005, 09:21 AM
C'mon, I can't think of any but there has to be some famous boxers to come out of the Windy City Boxing Gym.
the southern states are the breeding ground of great boxers

The Troll
04-05-2005, 10:36 PM
There is alot of good fighters from Florida that is for sure and in the east coast alot of fighters come from like Philedelphia, Southern California also has produced alot of top fighters. There is also alot of good fighters from Michigan, and especially the east coast Marciano was from Masschusets. Marciano IMO best heavyweight ever was from Massachusets, and Hagler maybe the best middleweight ever was from Massachusets. Massachusets for a small state, damn!

BadMagick
04-06-2005, 12:38 AM
There is alot of good fighters from Florida that is for sure and in the east coast alot of fighters come from like Philedelphia, Southern California also has produced alot of top fighters. There is also alot of good fighters from Michigan, and especially the east coast Marciano was from Masschusets.

Marciano fought out of NY, though.

I don't know how good he's considered, but Oliver McCall fought out of Chicago.

Komandos
04-09-2005, 10:22 AM
Andrew Golota

BadMagick
04-10-2005, 03:10 PM
Andrew Golota

First, he's a Polish fighter. Secondly, he's a damn coward. He doesn't deserve to be called great.

Komandos
04-10-2005, 05:59 PM
Yes he is Polish boxer.I don't like him

The Troll
04-10-2005, 08:09 PM
Golota was born in Poland but he officially fights out of Chicago. I wonder if he actually lives in Chicago though, If I had made as much money as him boxing I would move somewhere nicer like Montana or to the mountains in Poland or something.

BadMagick
04-10-2005, 11:08 PM
Golota was born in Poland but he officially fights out of Chicago. I wonder if he actually lives in Chicago though, If I had made as much money as him boxing I would move somewhere nicer like Montana or to the mountains in Poland or something.

Why would anyone like him? He's such a ****ing heartless coward! Also, he definitely lives in IL, because it'd be silly for him to travel to the Windy City Gym all the time if he didn't live within an hour of the place.

joeytrimble
04-11-2005, 11:36 AM
the g-man came outta chicago but he moved to detriot to fight for the kronk

barney ross is from chicago he was an old school boxer from the 30's and 40's

fight fan
04-13-2005, 02:20 PM
Former Lightweight and welterweight champ Barney Ross was from Chicago!!

http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=008996

fight fan
04-13-2005, 02:32 PM
First, he's a Polish fighter. Secondly, he's a damn coward. He doesn't deserve to be called great.

I understand the anomosity that some have with Golota due to his antics in the ring!!!!!!! But I think he personally suffered much more than you as a boxing fan did! He obviously had a mental problem otherwise why else would he have embarrased himself as he did so many times?? He was a worldclass amateur fighter and a great professional who could have accomplished so much more had he had his head on straight!

What fight are you talking about that he was getting the **** kicked out of him before Tyson? You cannot mean Grant??? That was the last loss he had before Tyson, but he was beating Grant and quit mysteriously after getting knocked down for a 3 count!!

Golota was an underachiever due to an anxiety problem! He seems to have calmed down lately, but due to injuries and surgery he doesn't have the same tools anymore!

Tha Greatest
04-14-2005, 12:20 AM
I believe Chicago to be more of a big city for boxing in the old days(like vegas today) but not have to many legends from there

The Italian Stallion
04-15-2005, 05:59 PM
That's just disappointing because I was born in Chicago.

Tha Greatest
04-15-2005, 08:42 PM

All the great fighters came from the North

Chicago is not a place where many champions have been born, but it's the place where champions have been made...

Yogi
04-20-2005, 05:53 AM
Jimmy Barry is one of Chicago's greatest fighters!

This HOF'er was also the first ever bantamweight champion, and one of the few champions in history that retired with an undefeated record.

The Italian Stallion
04-25-2005, 03:39 AM
I know, Montell Griffin!

vince hudson
04-06-2006, 12:31 AM
What about Eddie Perkins,Johnny Bratton,Bob Satterfield,Ernie Terrell,Alphonzo Ratcliff,LeeRoy Murphy,......

vince hudson
04-06-2006, 12:34 AM
I fought as a amatuer from 1977 to 1985,and we had had some of the baddest amatuer fighters around at that time.

McGoorty
07-19-2011, 06:16 AM
I'll Have to Study the Chicago situation, how about a best of list for the greatest fighters to ever come out of OSHKOSH WISCONSIN ?? A TRUE Boxing fan could at least name ONE.

Terry A
07-22-2011, 01:24 AM
Johnny Lira, Lenny LaPaglia & John Collins were also from Chicago.

Terry A
07-22-2011, 01:28 AM
I'll Have to Study the Chicago situation, how about a best of list for the greatest fighters to ever come out of OSHKOSH WISCONSIN ?? A TRUE Boxing fan could at least name ONE.

That's pretty easy considering your screen name. :D Was Eddie your relative?