View Full Version : Foreman's Fighting Style

BoxingPromoter
03-30-2005, 03:06 PM
You guys ever notice Foreman's open glove fighting style. Most noticebly in the Ali,Lyle,Norton fights, foreman opens his fists and looks like he's trying to catch the other fighters punches. When he "catches the punches" he is able to counter with power punches. If you look at any pictures from the 'Rumble' 99% of them he has an open fist! Just look at my avatar! I guess what my question is, is this an effective fighting style? Do any other boxers use it? :boxing:

Mr. Ryan
03-30-2005, 03:25 PM
You guys ever notice Foreman's open glove fighting style. Most noticebly in the Ali,Lyle,Norton fights, foreman opens his fists and looks like he's trying to catch the other fighters punches. When he "catches the punches" he is able to counter with power punches. If you look at any pictures from the 'Rumble' 99% of them he has an open fist! Just look at my avatar! I guess what my question is, is this an effective fighting style? Do any other boxers use it? :boxing:
Yeah, Jack Johnson.

BoxingPromoter
03-30-2005, 03:41 PM
Yeah, Jack Johnson.

That's right asian! I remember the fight footage in "unforgiveable blackness" Jack Johnson was in some ways like foreman. I could only Imagine Johnson vs. some other great heavyweights(Ali,Foreman,Holyfield,Marciano,Tyson) . I think he'd do pretty good.

zip
03-30-2005, 06:00 PM
It's harder to do today cause the gloves are stiffer and wont open that much.

BoxingPromoter
05-02-2005, 04:44 PM
Do any contemperary heavyweights use this style? Would it be an effective style today?

The_One77
05-02-2005, 05:35 PM
foreman pratically had no boxing skill and that's why he lost against ali. all he did was try to overpower him by widly swinging punches without hardly any accuracy, all being very wide. His style was open to all punches from ali and that's why he got hit so often.
Ali labelled him the mummy.

TheGreat1
05-02-2005, 05:51 PM
Bryd does it sometimes,

Cambria
05-12-2005, 03:55 PM
Foreman is awesome. I think he used his bear paws...because he could!

tommyhearns804
06-14-2005, 11:46 PM
Why do people continue to insist foreman didnt have any boxing skills?If he couldnt box and was so slow wouldnt he have more than 4 loses in his career?Two in his prime and two when he came back..(He was Robbed against Briggs).Foreman boxed he had a really really quick jab probably one of the best in boxing history.his right had was great his hook was great his uppercut was vicious he was quick on his feet,,,just ask Ali why did the rope a dope.He said it was because Foreman was to quick to outbox.Foreman fought stupid against Ali and now he is labeled as some stupid boxer who just loaded up with every punch based on just that fight.
Anyway Foremans style was weird.And do you remember how he used to push away his opponents when they got close?I never seen any other fighter try to do that either.But that is just George for you i guess. :boxing:

buff_mike10
06-15-2005, 01:39 AM
He came back and won the world title at age 45, Tyson couldn't even beat McBride at age 38, Foreman had decent skills and extreme power

prtynacan
06-15-2005, 02:09 AM
Why do people continue to insist foreman didnt have any boxing skills?If he couldnt box and was so slow wouldnt he have more than 4 loses in his career?Two in his prime and two when he came back..(He was Robbed against Briggs).Foreman boxed he had a really really quick jab probably one of the best in boxing history.his right had was great his hook was great his uppercut was vicious he was quick on his feet,,,just ask Ali why did the rope a dope.He said it was because Foreman was to quick to outbox.Foreman fought stupid against Ali and now he is labeled as some stupid boxer who just loaded up with every punch based on just that fight.
Anyway Foremans style was weird.And do you remember how he used to push away his opponents when they got close?I never seen any other fighter try to do that either.But that is just George for you i guess. :boxing:

Have to disagree with this one - Foreman didn't have boxing skills - he won through his incredible raw power, size and athleticism. To me, he's like the Ben Wallace of boxing - pure athleticism with little skill. This is not only based on the fight against Ali - I've seen several of his fights and it's always the same ugly, winging style. The only thing is - if he catches you with one, you're dead. He certainly wasn't efficient and he could easily be hit. Fortunately, he could dish out way more than anyone else.

tommyhearns804
06-15-2005, 03:23 PM
You still dont get it kid.If he didnt have skill he would of been easy to out box.Norton would of outboxed him.Norton fought Ali first so if Foreman was so bad it would of been real easy for Norton since Ali was a better boxer and faster than Foreman right?Just as buff mike said Foreman came back to win the title at 45 and fought until he was 48 beating Briggs and Tyson cant even beat Danny Williams or McBride so Foreman must of been a better boxer than Tyson.Even Joe Louis was done in his late 30s losing to Walcott and Charles neight are as good as Moorer,Morisson,Holyfield,Steward,Cooney,Saverase or Briggs and Foreman fought all of them when he was past 40,
Foremans defense was no worse than Ali's defense infact in Foremans 47 fights in his prime he was hit alot less than Ali did in his first 47 fights.Foreman took less punishment than any fighter did in boxing history in his prime.does that mean his defense was great?Not really but it wasnt as awful as you claimed.But nothing i say to you will change what you believe.
You will probably still think a 180 pound man like Marciano could compete with the true modern heavyweights. when in reality he isnt even a top 100 heavyweight because he isnt a heavyweight but a cruiser or light heavyweight.You will still believe tyson was special when in reality he only looked good fighting complete bums.You will still believe Ali was this dancing master who couldnt be hit when he was always hit and stunned not just went he came back and fought better opponents.so what can i say to you,

Kid Achilles
06-15-2005, 06:43 PM
"You will probably still think a 180 pound man like Marciano could compete with the true modern heavyweights. when in reality he isnt even a top 100 heavyweight"

Wow this may be the dumbest post I've ever read on this forum. Believe me, that's saying a lot.

tommyhearns804
06-16-2005, 10:06 PM
lol kid the dumbest thing is how a little white boy like you can't grasp marciano isnt a heavyweight but a cruiserweight or a light heavyweight.bum is thinking just because maricano is white he is better than all of the black men who tried to move up to heavyweight and besides holyfield they all failed.dumb is thinking a little italian guy who had trouble with 155 pound guys like archie moore who started his career at middleweight and fought there for 7 years could even go 1 round with somebody like lennox lewis or a david tua.guys who actually are heavyweights and not 180 pound boys who get attention only because of their skin color.marciano isnt even great for being 180 pounds .roy jones would of killed him..you say roy has a glass chin?moore and charles have been down far more and knocked out far more than the 2 times roy has and both moore and charles wern't nearly as fast as roy jones.jones would of ripped little boy maricano apart.so would people like bob foster,micheal spinks,micheal moorer knocked out every person he faces at 175 pounds but did he keep knocking out 220 plus pound men?nope but hey moorer is black and marciano is white so you know marciano is better huh?should i go one with who could destroy marciano?toney,foreman bowe both klitcko's cory sanders,lewis,ali,frazier,norton,ron lyle,jerry quarry,gerry cooney,larry holmes,mike tyson,shavers,david tua,ike ibeabuchi,sam peters,tommy morisson,golata,brewster,david izon,shannon briggs.lol you get my point but wait marciano is white and you read in a book that size isnt important just skin color right?size isnt important but yet their are alot of different weight classes saying size is important.no 180 pound man period could compete with 220 pound plus guys or one would of.so if you want to live in this little world where what you want to believe is true then great for you.but i dont make post so retards like you can respond too.i just make post so white black or green people who know their boxing and not racially biased or just biased because they want to believe soemthing can act like i care what they type

Kid Achilles
06-16-2005, 10:20 PM
par·a·graph (p***259;r'***601;-gr***259;f'):

A distinct division of written or printed matter that begins on a new, usually indented line, consists of one or more sentences, and typically deals with a single thought or topic or quotes one speaker's continuous words.

tommyhearns804
06-17-2005, 02:20 AM
lol is this school?or is this a computer boxing forum where i type words and retarded idiot little white boys like you reply to them?when a 180 pound little white boy is champ again in the heavyweight division then get back with me.but that will be never so bye bye

leff
06-17-2005, 04:30 AM
lol kid the dumbest thing is how a little white boy like you can't grasp marciano isnt a heavyweight but a cruiserweight or a light heavyweight.bum is thinking just because maricano is white he is better than all of the black men who tried to move up to heavyweight and besides holyfield they all failed.dumb is thinking a little italian guy who had trouble with 155 pound guys like archie moore who started his career at middleweight and fought there for 7 years could even go 1 round with somebody like lennox lewis or a david tua.guys who actually are heavyweights and not 180 pound boys who get attention only because of their skin color.marciano isnt even great for being 180 pounds .roy jones would of killed him..you say roy has a glass chin?moore and charles have been down far more and knocked out far more than the 2 times roy has and both moore and charles wern't nearly as fast as roy jones.jones would of ripped little boy maricano apart.so would people like bob foster,micheal spinks,micheal moorer knocked out every person he faces at 175 pounds but did he keep knocking out 220 plus pound men?nope but hey moorer is black and marciano is white so you know marciano is better huh?should i go one with who could destroy marciano?toney,foreman bowe both klitcko's cory sanders,lewis,ali,frazier,norton,ron lyle,jerry quarry,gerry cooney,larry holmes,mike tyson,shavers,david tua,ike ibeabuchi,sam peters,tommy morisson,golata,brewster,david izon,shannon briggs.lol you get my point but wait marciano is white and you read in a book that size isnt important just skin color right?size isnt important but yet their are alot of different weight classes saying size is important.no 180 pound man period could compete with 220 pound plus guys or one would of.so if you want to live in this little world where what you want to believe is true then great for you.but i dont make post so retards like you can respond too.i just make post so white black or green people who know their boxing and not racially biased or just biased because they want to believe soemthing can act like i care what they type

your the dubest guy ive meet this month.

are you saying i can like marciano because he is white like me.

i have 2 white guys in my top ten and im a racist :rolleyes:

and oooooh and maciano fought several big men.

leff
06-17-2005, 04:32 AM
back to topic.

allthough george`s boxing look ugly he has skills, its just hard to see cause its so ugly and weird kinda like VK.

like he was very good at cutting the ring and going to the body.

Kid Achilles
06-17-2005, 11:44 AM
Yes Foreman did have some skills and there were certain aspects of the sport that he was very good at, besides the obvious one of punching power, but you can say that about a lot of so called unskilled guys.

Rocky Marciano was actually a cagey guy who would feint, go into a crouch, and displayed good head movement by the end of his career. Prime Ali said he was very very impressed with how hard it was to land his jab on a forty-something Marciano when they sparred.

George Chuvalo was in reality an adept inside fighter and bodypuncher. He was not the walking punching bag he was remembered at.

Ingemar Johansson was a decent defensive fighter though he'll only be remembered for that huge right hand.

So Foreman was good at cutting off the ring, as well as using his forearms as a defense, and using his strength effectively to push opponents who might smother his punches away, but when you compare him to Ezzard Charles, Gene Tunney, Joe Walcott, Muhammad Ali, Joe Louis, or the other stylists who wore the heavyweight crown, Foreman was extremely limited.

Yes he had some skills but in the grand scheme of things he didn't have much versatility as a fighter. He came in and did his damnest to get to you and knock you out early. Simplest fight plan of any heavyweight bar none. Even Jim Jeffries knew to pace himself and was harder to hit in his crouch than Foreman was standing straight up.

So people can try to dress Foreman up as a skilled fighter with more depth to him than meets the eye but in reality he was a brute slugger with a few tricks up his sleeve. He was no magician.

ricecrispi
06-17-2005, 04:19 PM
George was not fancy, he did what worked because he didn't need to do more to win. He had to have skills to win a gold medal. A was lot more skilled than Marciano.

The open glove style is used to parry over a punch, mainly a weak and slow jab, and allow you to throw right hand over that punch.

It also jams an opponents punch, mess up their timing and distance. Open glove requires opponent to find the right distance, timing, and way around the open hand.
When you slip the boxer gets the right distance but not the timing or angle. So this open hand style helps you stay a safe distance away from an opponent. That is why foreman hardly got hurt in his first carrer. It requires more energy than using a slip though.... This also fools the opponent in thinking he is at a safe distance but isn't, especially if you already got a longer reach...

Because you jam the opponents punch, it slows the fluid motion of a punch, and slow them down. When you slip, the punch goes past the target and you need to pull the punch back fast. you keep the same flow and momentum. With the jam it kinda keeps the hand there because all the energy is going into an impact and back into your body into the legs. George was powerful enough he could use because it also required you to negate the power of the punch with an open hand block instead of using a slip. Takes more energy and power.

Trust me, you teach that to 100 decent amateurs and they all look stupid doing it except maybe one or two guys let alone master it.

The second style later on was the cross arm. Not fancy but helps protect the head but gives up the body (foreman had a lot of body 2nd time around). Requires less energy but a good defense when you are slow and old and can't move and wanna protect that head.

Slipx
06-24-2005, 07:16 AM
he had a really really quick jab probably one of the best in boxing history.

i love coming into contact with others who recognize foreman as the pinnacle of all boxers.most disrespect him and simply dont understand the absolute force this man had behind that left jab..

tommyhearns804
06-24-2005, 04:21 PM
Thanks Slipx and it is good to come into contact with others who know their boxing.Foreman was never a slow lumbering guy who just threw wild punches looking for the knock out.He came at you setting up his punches with his jabs like most good boxers do.The only difference is Foreman was one of the hardest punchers in boxing history.Foreman was quick on his feet (Just as Ali why he didn't try to out box Foreman) He had pretty quick hands (Just look at his record in his prime 45 wins 42 ko's if he was so slow at hand it would be easy to avoid his punches)
You know all fighters lose if they fight good opponents.But Foremans first lost came to a hall of Famer yet he can never live that down.Louis in his prime to Max Shmeling but nobody thinks Max was a better fighter than he is.Tyson was crushed by Douglas but nobody holds that against Tyson.Tyson just gets excuses about him not training hard.Foreman never really trained hard for any fight.Lewis isnt put down because he was knocked out 2 times in his career by one punch to average fighters so why is Foreman's career based on just the Ali or the Young fight?
You will say if you can box you can out box Foreman but neither Ali or Young out boxed Foreman.Ali layed on the ropes and got lucky and Foreman toyed with Young until he was dead tired.(I was reading something by Foreman a few days ago and he said Don King told him to try to make the fight last longer because most of his fights only lasted a few rounds)You will say if you can get Foreman past 5 rounds you could beat him.Foreman was only tired 2 times in his career.Lewis got tired more than 2 times Ali got tired more than 2 times but nobody questions their stamina so why question Foremans?All fighters have flaws.There are no perfect fighters.ALi and Foreman kept their hands low.Ali wasnt much of a puncher.Foreman never got proper leverage on his punches.Louis had a glass chin and didnt fight many top level 220 plus pound heavyweights.Marciano wasnt a real heavyweight to began with so his punches wouldnt be able to hurt a big heavyweight and he couldnt take their punch.Lewis had a glass chin and never fought top level guys besides a washed up Holyfield and Tyson.Tyson was ko'd 5 times so that says a little about his chin and Tyson never beat a top level guy either.Holmes couldnt punch and never fought top level guys.Bowe had great heart but i question his chin.Holyfield almost knocked out Bowe in their 3rd fight with one punch but yet a prime Holyfield could never knock a old 42 year old Foreman down.Vitali Klitchko is slow and up until now he never beat a top level guy in their prime.Dempsey ducked all black fighters and his chin wasnt the best.(He was ko'd in one round by Fireman Jim Flynn)Jack Johnson fought small guys usually.Nothing special about a 200 pound man beating up a 160 pound man.And boxing was alot different back then.They threw one punch at a time and then held.How can you say Johnson had a great deffense when fighters fought this way?Johnson also had a glass chin.(He was knocked out a few times before he became champ one time by a guy who only weighed about 160 or so)Johnson like Marciano and Dempsey were to small to be a real threat fighting true heavyweights.
But neither of these guys get disrespected like Foreman does.I ask myself why all the time.Why would you respect a rapist like Tyson but put down Foreman?Foreman grew up poor and was a criminal when he was young as well but he turned his life around.Even when he was a young boxer he never acted like Tyson
He never bashed the people he boxed against.He never made threats about eating somebody kids like Tyson does.
Tyson is done at 38 he cant even beat bums like Mcbride or Williams yet Foreman could fight until he was 48 against a higher class of opponents than Tyson fought and non including Holyfield who knocked out Tyson could put Foreman down.
Could you answer any of the questions i asked please.Thanks

Slipx
06-24-2005, 05:22 PM
yet a prime Holyfield could never knock a old 42 year old Foreman down.

That fight was brutal, too. I remember Evander landed this 5 punch power hook combo right on George's head, his head looked like a speedbag or something. Guy wasn't even dazed, it's amazing how he isn't really punchy at all and is actually fairly articulate, heh.

Slipx
06-24-2005, 05:38 PM
I think I can answer your question on why Tyson is a much lesser fighter, yet has more respect than Foreman.

I think most of the disrespect towards George is because some people think he's a 'phony' in the sense that he used to be such a brash talking tough guy, but now, he could easily pass for one of the nicest guys you'd ever meet in your lifetime. Some people think it's all a show, and it could be, you know. Excellent salesman can easily appear to be something they are not, such as a friend, or basically anything else if they put their mind to it; and we all know, Foreman is a great salesman.

Boxing thrives in the ghetto. Any boxer originating from a ghetto is going to be a huge fan of Mike Tyson, especially a young black male just learning how to punch. Most people believe that staying true to yourself is a number one priority, once you fail to do this, you lose respect from everyone. It's no different in the ghetto, actually I think it's over emphasized in ghettos to stay true to yourself. And, Tyson has to be one of those guys who has seriously stayed true to himself. He felt no need to reinvent himself, like Foreman did. At 18 he was a disrespectful dirty fighter, and at 30 he was a disrespectful dirty fighter. He even has his own clothing line with shirts titled 'B Real.', so you know Tyson makes staying true to himself a number one priority, and I think that's why he has so much of a fan base.

but george is clearly the legend here, and tyson the couldvebeen.we wont see mike come back at age 40+ and take out a 25 year old heavyweight champion, believe dat.

paul750
06-24-2005, 05:39 PM
foreman had brutal power and a good chin and other good qualitys, but he was always going to have trouble with the great ''boxers'' as all punchers have, as a pure psysical specimen he's probably up there at the top, but as an overall boxer he's still down in the list behind the likes of ali and holmes IMO.

Slipx
06-24-2005, 05:43 PM
that's why robinson is so respected.

he could box, and he could punch.

jesus shrink that sig pic man lol

edit-nice , u got it signed by holmes...hope thats framed and put up somewhere safe

paul750
06-24-2005, 05:45 PM
jesus shrink that sig pic man lol
yeah it's kinda big lol

Boxclever
06-24-2005, 05:50 PM
foreman pratically had no boxing skill and that's why he lost against ali. all he did was try to overpower him by widly swinging punches without hardly any accuracy, all being very wide. His style was open to all punches from ali and that's why he got hit so often.

Foreman, no boxing skills? You're making me laugh there. :p

ricecrispi
06-26-2005, 06:01 PM
I said it once and say it again. The guy won a god damn ****ing "Gold Medal " in the Olympics Games.

This was during during the prime of the cold war era with USSR developing great amateur boxers. Look at winners in boxing during the 60's -70's International competition and you see the Eastern bloc got a lot of medals.

Big george's skill vastly underrated because of his power. If you got it, then you should use it. Why does Foreman have to be an expert in boxing skills like Ali or Holmes when you got two Huge bazzoka's in the left and right hand.

In the end, Foreman's legacy is hurt by being a villian for a hero to shine. Ali was the hero and Foreman was the villian and so was Frazier.
I think in most poeple's eye's they will always play the villian role vs. the triumph underdog hero in Ali.

nohero
06-26-2005, 07:02 PM
Bryd does it sometimes,

Byrd also punches with his hands open, we call that "slapping" and if it were not for that he'd actually be a respected heavyweight.

Boxclever
06-27-2005, 06:21 AM
Foreman is just an all time great, the disrespect is unbelievable, his record in the 70's should be enough, but added to what he achieved at a later stage in life means he's due respect in every quarter. If it wasn't for Ali i'd say Foreman was the best ever. :)

tommyhearns804
06-29-2005, 08:38 PM
Thanks Ricecrispi at least a few guys here know their boxing.Now you can see how hard it is to find a post where white guys dont pull Rocky Marciano out of their ass trying to make him into something he never was.Marciano had skills but Foreman didnt?Do you watch boxing?Or do you just look at posters or Marciano and dream of having sex with him?Marciano had no skills at all.No jab poor hand speed and a weak defense combined with the fact as i said 1 million times he wasnt a real heavyweight but a cruiserweight or a slightly bigger light heavyweight.
Foreman has poor stamina and didnt pace himself?Since when?He got tired in 2 fights the Ali and Young fight.Foreman has 80 plus fights and he gets tired in 2 so that means he has no stamina?Foreman went for the ko like any other guy who has a high knock out percentage goes for the Ko but when Maricano does it he is a great fighter but when Foreman does it something is wrong with him?Foreman was 45-2 with 42 kos in his career.The only fighter who did any real damage to him in his prime was Ron Lyle.Foreman was hit less in his prime than any other heavyweight in boxing history.But yet Maricano had a better defense right?He struggled to beat glass chin guys like Moore Walcott and Chareles the few black guys he fougth in his career but he is great right?Moore was a middleweight who moved up to light heavyweight but he still knocked Marciano down with one punch.Moore was knocked out at least 10 to 15 times in his career half by middleweights but it took Maricano 8 or 9 rounds to beat him.Marciano never fought any top fighters who were in their primes period.Never mind him fighting 230 plus pound true heavyweights but again he is praised as if he was some kind of god but Foreman is put down.Funny stuff.
Foreman fought the way that best fit his talents.He didnt bounce around the ring talking about how pretty he was getting hit like Ali did and suffered brain damage .Foreman used his great jab to set up his other power punches and destroyed who ever stepped in the ring with him .Watch boxing know boxing just dont base what you read in some book or your daddy told you and use that as facts.

Slipx
06-29-2005, 09:11 PM
thats one fight i never saw. the lyle bout

tommyhearns804
06-30-2005, 02:36 AM
Slipx i could send you the Lyle Foreman fight if you want me too.I am still uploading it but if you have yahoo or aol i could give you my screen name or you could give me yours and i will send it to you.This fight not only shows how tough Foreman was it shows how hard of a punch Lyle was.Lyle knocked down a prime Foreman 2 times in one round.Holyfield Morrison Cooney Moorer Briggs ect ect ect couldnt hurt a old Foreman.Which means Lyle hit harder than them all.Imagine if Lyle would of turned pro at a young age like most boxers instead of turning pro at 27 or 28 .Lyle was a great fighter

Kid Achilles
06-30-2005, 11:19 AM
Interesting how when Marciano is knocked down twice in his career and never down for more than 3-4 four seconds at a time, he has a glass chin but Foreman was on the verge of being knocked out several times in that fight alone and you consider him invincible.

I have the Foreman-Lyle fight and it's one of the most exciting HW slugfests I've ever seen but it showed just how wild and crude Foreman could become when he was pressured. Lyle was anything but a great opponent. Powerful, a decent boxer, but far from great.

Boxclever
06-30-2005, 04:34 PM
Thanks Ricecrispi at least a few guys here know their boxing.Now you can see how hard it is to find a post where white guys dont pull Rocky Marciano out of their ass trying to make him into something he never was.Marciano had skills but Foreman didnt?Do you watch boxing?Or do you just look at posters or Marciano and dream of having sex with him?Marciano had no skills at all.No jab poor hand speed and a weak defense combined with the fact as i said 1 million times he wasnt a real heavyweight but a cruiserweight or a slightly bigger light heavyweight.
Foreman has poor stamina and didnt pace himself?Since when?He got tired in 2 fights the Ali and Young fight.Foreman has 80 plus fights and he gets tired in 2 so that means he has no stamina?Foreman went for the ko like any other guy who has a high knock out percentage goes for the Ko but when Maricano does it he is a great fighter but when Foreman does it something is wrong with him?Foreman was 45-2 with 42 kos in his career.The only fighter who did any real damage to him in his prime was Ron Lyle.Foreman was hit less in his prime than any other heavyweight in boxing history.But yet Maricano had a better defense right?He struggled to beat glass chin guys like Moore Walcott and Chareles the few black guys he fougth in his career but he is great right?Moore was a middleweight who moved up to light heavyweight but he still knocked Marciano down with one punch.Moore was knocked out at least 10 to 15 times in his career half by middleweights but it took Maricano 8 or 9 rounds to beat him.Marciano never fought any top fighters who were in their primes period.Never mind him fighting 230 plus pound true heavyweights but again he is praised as if he was some kind of god but Foreman is put down.Funny stuff.
Foreman fought the way that best fit his talents.He didnt bounce around the ring talking about how pretty he was getting hit like Ali did and suffered brain damage .Foreman used his great jab to set up his other power punches and destroyed who ever stepped in the ring with him .Watch boxing know boxing just dont base what you read in some book or your daddy told you and use that as facts.

Spot on :)

tommyhearns804
06-30-2005, 04:57 PM
Lets see Marciano was dropped by Moore a natural middleweight and Walcott a guy who weighed maybe 190 and both Moore and Walcott were in their 40's when they fought Marciano and both Moore and Walcott had glass chins.Foreman was only hurt by the 225 plus pound Ron Lyle who at that time had only been down one time and that was to Shavers.Which one would you rather get knocked down to a 160 pound man with a glass chin or a 225 pound man with a pretty damn good chin?A heavwyweight knocked down Foreman and a middleweight knocked down Marciano but yet you think think Marciano could take Foremans punch?Or Tysons Tuas Bowes Shavers Lyles Ibeabuchi Lewis Frazier etc ect ect power?Kid you are are either a big racist or a complete idiot.In either case please do yourself a favor and do not respond to me anymore and i won't respond to you anymore.And boxclever thanks.People like you who know your boxing make coming to boxing forums fun.So thanks to all of the people in this forum who knows boxing and aren't blinded by skin color.Just tell it how it is not how you want it to be.

uncle_rico
07-07-2005, 11:15 PM
"Just tell it how it is not how you want it to be."

that's funny. hearns, read the entire thread from the top, guess who mentioned marciano first? no on was even talking about him until you did...

here's the facts, look at any, *any* top 10 heavy ranking from any
athority or boxing mag, you'll not only see marciano in top 10, you'll
see joe louis in top 3, consistently, yet you think marciano and louis
are bums. they're not bums. they are two great fighters who'd beat any of todays
heayweights, and yes, one happens to be black and one is white.

joe frazier fought at 205, marciano at 190, joe louis at 195, ali was only 210!
what's the difference?
why are you obsessed with weight?
alot of heavyweights come in with flabby guts and just
cuz they are 230lbs that makes them hard to beat? not.

joe frazier will knock guys like tyson and tua the **** out.
so would louis, so would marciano.
why does that bother you, cuz marciano is white?

yes, marciano was slow, was a slugger, fought inside,
but you know what? check what other heavyweights said
about him.
check google and see what other champs from the 50's,60's
and 70's said. nothin but respect.

btw, there's a difference between being knocked down and knocked the **** out.
lennox lewis, knocked the **** out twice, by two nobodies.
don't bring his name in with louis, marciano, and frazier, that's
ridiculous.
roy jones, god knows i love 'em, but knocked the **** out by tarver
and johnson? and he'll beat marciano or joe louis or frazier?
you can stop man, for real.

if lamotta and robinson never fought i bet you'd be the first to
say that lamotta wouldnt come close to beating robinson cuz
he's a slow white guy. i bet you would. sometimes there's more
too it than fast hands and "skills".

btw, what do you think of toney?
he's a solid heavyweight right?
he fought a great fight at cruiser how long ago?
last year? and he fought a great fight against a *gasp*
white boy. that guy jirov lost a great fight to toney,
then he got knocked out by moorer this year.
jirov was what? 200lbs? 210? moorer was 245?
anyway, what's my point?
jirov landed some good shots on moorers grill (he was up
on all the judges score cards when he got ko'd), if that
woulda been louis or marciano, moorer woulda been
taken out on a stretcher. maybe dead.
so there ya go. 6'2 245 black guy losing on all judges cards
to a not that good 200-something pound white guy.
oh, but i bet you think moorer would beat marciano right?
would he beat louis?
he'd beat neither of them.

btw, james toney, was 5'9 190lbs last year.
yes, he's put on some weight but guess what?
he is still 5'9 but now he's arguably the best heavyweight.
hmmm, 5'9 190lbs, sounds familiar doesn't it?

enough with the black/white thing already...

Boxclever
07-08-2005, 08:33 AM
Is this still going, Foreman rules :p

hellfire508
07-08-2005, 11:07 AM

Foreman had no boxing skill? Did you even see him fight? The man had an AWESOME jab. He was a great boxer when he wanted to be.

hellfire508
07-08-2005, 11:10 AM
Lets see Marciano was dropped by Moore a natural middleweight and Walcott a guy who weighed maybe 190 and both Moore and Walcott were in their 40's when they fought Marciano and both Moore and Walcott had glass chins.Foreman was only hurt by the 225 plus pound Ron Lyle who at that time had only been down one time and that was to Shavers.Which one would you rather get knocked down to a 160 pound man with a glass chin or a 225 pound man with a pretty damn good chin?A heavwyweight knocked down Foreman and a middleweight knocked down Marciano but yet you think think Marciano could take Foremans punch?Or Tysons Tuas Bowes Shavers Lyles Ibeabuchi Lewis Frazier etc ect ect power?Kid you are are either a big racist or a complete idiot.In either case please do yourself a favor and do not respond to me anymore and i won't respond to you anymore.And boxclever thanks.People like you who know your boxing make coming to boxing forums fun.So thanks to all of the people in this forum who knows boxing and aren't blinded by skin color.Just tell it how it is not how you want it to be.

You think you know boxing after a post like that? Go and watch the boxing history before posting that rubbish.

hellfire508
07-08-2005, 11:11 AM
"Just tell it how it is not how you want it to be."

that's funny. hearns, read the entire thread from the top, guess who mentioned marciano first? no on was even talking about him until you did...

here's the facts, look at any, *any* top 10 heavy ranking from any
athority or boxing mag, you'll not only see marciano in top 10, you'll
see joe louis in top 3, consistently, yet you think marciano and louis
are bums. they're not bums. they are two great fighters who'd beat any of todays
heayweights, and yes, one happens to be black and one is white.

joe frazier fought at 205, marciano at 190, joe louis at 195, ali was only 210!
what's the difference?
why are you obsessed with weight?
alot of heavyweights come in with flabby guts and just
cuz they are 230lbs that makes them hard to beat? not.

joe frazier will knock guys like tyson and tua the **** out.
so would louis, so would marciano.
why does that bother you, cuz marciano is white?

yes, marciano was slow, was a slugger, fought inside,
but you know what? check what other heavyweights said
about him.
check google and see what other champs from the 50's,60's
and 70's said. nothin but respect.

btw, there's a difference between being knocked down and knocked the **** out.
lennox lewis, knocked the **** out twice, by two nobodies.
don't bring his name in with louis, marciano, and frazier, that's
ridiculous.
roy jones, god knows i love 'em, but knocked the **** out by tarver
and johnson? and he'll beat marciano or joe louis or frazier?
you can stop man, for real.

if lamotta and robinson never fought i bet you'd be the first to
say that lamotta wouldnt come close to beating robinson cuz
he's a slow white guy. i bet you would. sometimes there's more
too it than fast hands and "skills".

Spot on buddy. Good post.

Pugnacious_Z
07-08-2005, 12:29 PM
uncle_rico, u really think marciano and louis cud beat tyson and frazier, HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, or tua, HAAAAAAAAAAA, or lewi, GHHHHHHHHHHHHH, they all little cunts, no skills compared to todays heavies, klitschko wud put **** through them and louis was a *****, if u see the jack johnson documentary ull know wat i mean, he was afraid to be black. dumb ass, fuk ur dumb, stop living in the past loser

Boxclever
07-08-2005, 04:01 PM
Foreman had no boxing skill? Did you even see him fight? The man had an AWESOME jab. He was a great boxer when he wanted to be.

Absolutely right. :boxing:

Smack
07-08-2005, 04:57 PM

This style is still used in a raw form, it is the basis of parrying a punch. This exact style such as what Foreman, Ali, Johnson etc...etc used would be near impossible with the gloves being as rigid and with the thumbs attached to the gloves body.

uncle_rico
07-08-2005, 05:52 PM
uncle_rico, u really think marciano and louis cud beat tyson and frazier, HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, or tua, HAAAAAAAAAAA, or lewi, GHHHHHHHHHHHHH, they all little cunts, no skills compared to todays heavies, klitschko wud put **** through them and louis was a *****, if u see the jack johnson documentary ull know wat i mean, he was afraid to be black. dumb ass, fuk ur dumb, stop living in the past loser

afraid to be black?
what does that mean?
what does that have to do with this discussion?
louis is one of the best heavyweights, how he
acted out of the ring is of no concern to me
and has no bearing on this discussion.

anyway...

why am i livin in the past?
cuz i think today's heavyweights are horrible?
look, watch any fight today, any fight, all they say
is how bad the heavyweight division is and how good
the lighter divisions are.
you know why they say that? cuz these guys suck.

tua is too short and fat to give louis or marciano a problem.
tyson falls apart if he can't bully you.
he's not gonna bully joe louis or marciano.
lewis was knocked the **** out by who? mccall? rahman?
and you think louis and marciano can't knock him out?
klitchko.. ok, for real stop. he's a *clown*
he's a statue and if he fights james toney, he'll get
knocked the **** out.
toney is not as strong as marciano or louis and believe
it or not, he moves alot less than both of them.
the only difference is, he tries to counter much more.
so, toney is doing just fine as a small heavyweight,
so would marciano and louis.

look, just cuz a fight is old and shown in black and white don't
mean the fighters suck.
like i said in the other post, who woulda thought
lamotta and basilio would beat
someone as skilled as robinson? but sometimes that swarming
style works.

marciano was just as big (maybe 10 lbs lighter) than joe frazier
and joe frazier would destroy todays heavies, so, why wouldnt
marciano and/or louis?

anyway, toney is 5'9 and he's prolly the best, if not toughest
heavyweight around today.
and he's not nearly as strong as marciano,
so, what does that tell you?

btw, don't call me a loser. if i'm a loser then your mother is
a filthy ****in cunt. ok?
post your replies about the subject matter, don't try and be a tough
guy on an online forum.

czars_salad
07-08-2005, 08:02 PM
ali threw only 6-8 punches in that fateful round
all went in
;)

foreman threw more than a hundred punches in that fight
only hit ali's gloves, shoulders, and arms

BoxingPromoter
07-11-2005, 02:14 PM
This style is still used in a raw form, it is the basis of parrying a punch. This exact style such as what Foreman, Ali, Johnson etc...etc used would be near impossible with the gloves being as rigid and with the thumbs attached to the gloves body.

Those were the good ole days of boxing, when the gloves looked like mittens and when you could actually see the brand on the wrist part of the glove.

tommyhearns804
07-11-2005, 07:52 PM
Number one Maricano was only 185 Frazier was about 205 to 210 that is more than 10 pounds.Number 2 Frazier made his living fighting greats like Ali and Foreman who were both around 220 or more and Marciano fought guys who were from 160 middleweight like Moore and Charles to guys weighing about 200 pounds still a cruiserweight.
Tua was never knocked out as a proud.Even though Lewis tagged him through out their fight.Ibeabuchi landed huge punches as well but some how a smaller weaker fighter like Marciano could knock out Tua?Sure he could if you are either racist or a crack head.
Lewis was knocked out 2 times and your point is?Mccall has a great chin and is much better puncher than Marciano could even dream of and so is Rahman.Lewis would blast any little fighter like Marciano just like he did Golata.
I hate Tyson.I hate any man who has to rape a woman or beat on a woman for no reason.And as i said Tyson never beat a world class fighter in his life.But against a slow weak 185 pound fighter like Marciano it wouldnt mean anything.He doesn't need to try to bully somebody who has no chance in hell of hurting him or take his punch.Tyson would probably literally kill Marciano.220 pounds of dynamite vs a overrated 185 pound fighter who best wins came over 2 black middleweights one in his 40s like Moore and the other one had no punching power like Charles and both had glass chins seeing the fact bother were knocked out 5 plus times before they even fought Marciano.
Vitali Klit would be knocked out by Toney?Haha kid can i have what you are smoking?Toney couldnt even hurt or knock out Ruiz who has a glass chin but yet he could knock out Vitali who has never been down as a pro right?So Toney hits harder than Lewis?Vitali would never lost to Marciano.He could just stand their and let the little boy him him.The first punch Vitali lands ko's Marciano.
And anyway the post is about Foreman not Marciano.Foreman fought the way he did against Ali because he had no respect for Ali.Infact he had respect for few fighters.He tried to load up and hurt the fighters he fought.But unskilled?If he was unskilled then why didnt Ali just outbox him instead of praying and hoping he would get tired?Ali said Foreman was to quick to try to outbox.He said if he tried to box Foreman he would be knocked out.If Foreman was unskilled or slow wouldnt somebody in his prime out box him?Ali or Young didnt.If he was so unskilled wouldnt he have more than 2 loses in his prime?

anwaryussuf81
07-11-2005, 09:33 PM
I noticed that too but foreman has been fighting like that his whole career.

ricecrispi
07-12-2005, 03:33 AM
BTW Tyson never rape that chick or beat Robin Givens. Mike wasn't so street smart and got hustled, twice. Got a bad lawyer from Don King, Don King planning to rip him off while he's in jail, and couldn't control his outburst in court.

Tyson married a doctor and she's never complained once about him being physical. The only reason they divorced is so he can give her his money to raise his kids and pay off his debt.

Your info and way of think is still bad and incorrect after people correct you.

All i'm gonna say is buy the Marciano DVD. $25 dollars. You get 10 fights, med quality. You can't say **** and comment about Marciano's skills till you see it. When you see the fights TommyHearns then make your comments. Otherwise you sound like a biased racist spouting black and white info. You want to make an arguement you should know both sides of the arguement before debating.
All you doing is commenting on what you think would happen but you have no info to base it off other than Marciano is 185 lb. and Italian and who he beat. Marciano is Italian, not white, Italian.

uncle_rico
07-12-2005, 11:01 AM
Number one Maricano was only 185 Frazier was about 205 to 210 that is more than 10 pounds.Number 2 Frazier made his living fighting greats like Ali and Foreman who were both around 220 or more and Marciano fought guys who were from 160 middleweight like Moore and Charles to guys weighing about 200 pounds still a cruiserweight.
Tua was never knocked out as a proud.Even though Lewis tagged him through out their fight.Ibeabuchi landed huge punches as well but some how a smaller weaker fighter like Marciano could knock out Tua?Sure he could if you are either racist or a crack head.
Lewis was knocked out 2 times and your point is?Mccall has a great chin and is much better puncher than Marciano could even dream of and so is Rahman.Lewis would blast any little fighter like Marciano just like he did Golata.
I hate Tyson.I hate any man who has to rape a woman or beat on a woman for no reason.And as i said Tyson never beat a world class fighter in his life.But against a slow weak 185 pound fighter like Marciano it wouldnt mean anything.He doesn't need to try to bully somebody who has no chance in hell of hurting him or take his punch.Tyson would probably literally kill Marciano.220 pounds of dynamite vs a overrated 185 pound fighter who best wins came over 2 black middleweights one in his 40s like Moore and the other one had no punching power like Charles and both had glass chins seeing the fact bother were knocked out 5 plus times before they even fought Marciano.
Vitali Klit would be knocked out by Toney?Haha kid can i have what you are smoking?Toney couldnt even hurt or knock out Ruiz who has a glass chin but yet he could knock out Vitali who has never been down as a pro right?So Toney hits harder than Lewis?Vitali would never lost to Marciano.He could just stand their and let the little boy him him.The first punch Vitali lands ko's Marciano.
And anyway the post is about Foreman not Marciano.Foreman fought the way he did against Ali because he had no respect for Ali.Infact he had respect for few fighters.He tried to load up and hurt the fighters he fought.But unskilled?If he was unskilled then why didnt Ali just outbox him instead of praying and hoping he would get tired?Ali said Foreman was to quick to try to outbox.He said if he tried to box Foreman he would be knocked out.If Foreman was unskilled or slow wouldnt somebody in his prime out box him?Ali or Young didnt.If he was so unskilled wouldnt he have more than 2 loses in his prime?

hearns, you continuously bring up racism, take a good long look at yourself and your comments.
i purposely include joe louis when i speak of marciano because
i think the argument of small heavy vs. big heavy apply equally to both. yet, when you respond, you always leave out louis and focus soley on marciano. i bet you prolly don't even realize you do that. what does that tell you?
it's obvious you have a problem with him being white, otherwise you'd have included louis in all your comments (but you rarely do).
if you wanna make the argument such that you think bigger guys will always crush smaller ones, fine, so be it, it's a valid argument (albeit, one i do not agree with, but valid).
but you constantly bring up race, why?
boxing fans like marciano cuz he was undefeated and had 43 ko's.
people love winners and people love ko's.
it's that simple.

yeah, i think toney would beat klitchko.
yeah, i think toney is the best heavy now.
yeah, i think smaller heavies would do fine against bigger ones.
so what?
it's not a black/white thing.
i just think today's heavies are unimpressive.
they don;t move around, all they do is clinch and throw
haymakers and when one lands everyone goes nuts...
please, that's corny.
look, i take marciano over klitchko any day, ok?
let's make it white on white so you can stop focusing on race
cuz you're apparently very sensitive.
i say marciano beats klichko
and i say louis beats lewis (look at the matchup black on black, ok?).

and don;t bring up mccall and rahman, what kind of a champ
loses to guys like that?
what, just cus they are big heavies?
a true champ doesnt lose fights like that, that's why
i question lewis.
who the **** is mccall? what did he do in his career?
and rahman? who are these guys?
true champs lose to other champions, these guys are not
true champs.
so, yeah, i question lewis' ability to take a shot from joe louis.

ok? so, no race involved, white on white, black on black.
if you want to reply to my comments, then do so, but leave the
white/italian/black/whatever **** out of it.
i've been posting on this site for only a few weeks and i'm sick
of your race comments already.

Pugnacious_Z
07-12-2005, 12:05 PM
uncle_rico, u think im tryin to be hard online, if it was real life in person u wud be kissing ass *****, ill kick ur ass blind folded, weak ass unknowlegdable loser living in the past. tell ur mum to leave my money on the counter wen she leaves ***get. louis, nor maricao wud be top 10 in todays heavies, LOSER

uncle_rico
07-12-2005, 12:46 PM
uncle_rico, u think im tryin to be hard online, if it was real life in person u wud be kissing ass *****, ill kick ur ass blind folded, weak ass unknowlegdable loser living in the past. tell ur mum to leave my money on the counter wen she leaves ***get. louis, nor maricano wd be top 10 in todays heavies, LOSER

look, you don't know me, so it's stupid to talk **** on an online forum.
unless you wanna hook up and settle this somewhere,
don't talk ****, that's my point.
you said **** to me, i said **** back.
goin back and forth makes no sense, makes us both look stupid.
if you don't like something i post, then comment on
what i said, don't say something about me personally.
it's fine if you disagree but don't talk **** to me.
saying something i said is ****ing stupid is one thing,
but calling me ****ing stupid is another.
cool?
if you wanna settle this, i'll give you email, we can meet.
i live in brooklyn and am in baltimore alot, if you wanna come to
either place that's cool, if not, let's drop it here.

Slipx
07-12-2005, 03:28 PM
WUTS YOUR ADDRESS ***** WE GONE MEET UP AND FIGHT OVER A MESSAGE BOARD ARGUMENT

...prove yourself in the ring

Ali_is_the_greatest17
07-12-2005, 04:42 PM
I think that foreman is like as good as Tyson.. Ali could beat them both... He could do the exact same thing to tyson to wat he did to foreman, it'll just tire tyson out, then Ali could easily knock him out..

o yeah, and the style that foreman uses is weird in my opinion..

BoxingPromoter
08-25-2011, 06:14 PM
Bump up the jam...

SCtrojansbaby
08-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Roy Jones uses the same stance