View Full Version : weighted vest

random guy
03-29-2005, 03:00 AM
has anyone used a weighted vest in there training?. what are some of the benefits of using them?. thank you

blockburna944
03-29-2005, 03:06 AM
ive never used a weighted vest, but i did put 5lb ankle weights around my wrists to train for basketball. doing ballhandling and dribbling drills with them were great for my handspeed, wrist strength, and reflexes in general. i never used them training for boxing, but i think they were partly responsible for the speed of my jabs and straights.

random guy
03-29-2005, 03:14 AM
i've used the wrist weights too. they helped my hand speed also. I just want to become as fast and powerfull as possible.

random guy
03-29-2005, 06:09 PM
but do the weighted chest vests make you faster/stronger in anyway

blockburna944
03-29-2005, 06:28 PM
i think the weighted vest would help your leg power depending on the exercises you do; maybe certain plyometrics with the vest on could improve leg speed, but i think they are more effective with other forms of resistance.

random guy
03-29-2005, 06:31 PM
thats what I was thinking. i would use them with my running and my plyometric workouts.

Dyl-G
03-29-2005, 06:50 PM
yeah, im about to get one too ive seen people training plyo's with them

blockburna944
03-30-2005, 01:26 AM
ive used ankle weights for plyo, but a vest could obviously give more weight. the only thing id wonder about for it is if it safer on your knees to have the weight above or below them.

leff
03-30-2005, 10:04 AM
has anyone used a weighted vest in there training?. what are some of the benefits of using them?. thank you

havent tried it but i guess it will encrease your endurande as well as strengthen back, abs and leg muscles.

Spetznas have used it for years.
The live with it,train with it and sleeps with it.
and whan they finaly tkes it off they say its like flying.

dont know if its good for boxers though.

Dyl-G
03-30-2005, 07:22 PM
Spetznas? whats that

random guy
03-30-2005, 07:25 PM
there a russian special forces group.
I found the perfect vest 84lbs
http://www.thexvest.com/shopping.htm

UnstoppableOne
03-31-2005, 02:43 AM
The ankle weights on the wrists sounds like a great idea anyone else train like this??

leff
03-31-2005, 09:48 AM
Spetznas? whats that

Russian special force kinda like navy seal, mean mofo`s

speed e
09-24-2006, 06:18 PM
i found this site www.weightvest.com iam thinking about getting one from title boxing.

KingDosia
09-25-2006, 03:25 PM

Use one as apart of your conditioning, ie. Plyometrics. I do burpees, squats, and run stairs or anything with a jumping motion.with one. benifits are good for strength and enurance. Good compound movements with resistance ie. weights or weighted vest will build power. speed and endurance will also improve. Its a good idea all around. Ive been advised not to use the ankle weights the can mess up your ankles I guess. so I don't use them like the vests though looking for one that is arouind 90lbs if anybody knows of one let me know

slickwalt210
09-25-2006, 04:02 PM
i have used the weighted vest to train with some years ago when i wa an anatuer boxer. the benfit is tremendous. however, you must monitor yourself when using it, don't use it everyday. i used it primarily for hills, it definitely helps with your leg strength and foot speed. you can also use it for interval work. i would steer away from the ankle weights because they put an uneccesary strain on your knees.

eazy_mas
09-25-2006, 04:19 PM
i have used the weighted vest to train with some years ago when i wa an anatuer boxer. the benfit is tremendous. however, you must monitor yourself when using it, don't use it everyday. i used it primarily for hills, it definitely helps with your leg strength and foot speed. you can also use it for interval work. i would steer away from the ankle weights because they put an uneccesary strain on your knees.

I agree with you there i tried it once and it killed my knees

Pork Chop
09-26-2006, 12:10 PM
i have one, 23lbs- you'd be suprised at how heavy it feels. I would be suprised if anyone under 200 could wear the 90 pound vest.
I used to wear my vest all the time but I started getting upper back problems from it. I'm going to wait a bit longer before I try to go back to it on a more casual basis.
it definitely helped wtih stamina and footwork.

BigDozer260
09-26-2006, 04:50 PM
Wow all u guys use a weighted vest for is running? Hyper gravity training as it is called is used not only for fitness but as a tool for cns motor improvment. In other words for skill improvement.

Pork Chop
09-26-2006, 05:00 PM
i would only shadow, do footwork drills, and hit the heavybag with it on- no running.

platinummatt!
09-26-2006, 05:09 PM
yup back problems arent cool

KingDosia
09-26-2006, 05:58 PM
Wow all u guys use a weighted vest for is running? Hyper gravity training as it is called is used not only for fitness but as a tool for cns motor improvment. In other words for skill improvement.

DOZER, U KNOW WHERE TO GET ONE UP AROUND 90LBS, AND ANY TIPS ON EXERSIZED TO USE IT WITH IS APPRECIATED. I DO MY BURPEES, SOME OTHER JUMPS AND STAIRS WITH ONE.