View Full Version : BritISH prospects

eden
03-28-2005, 03:00 PM
out of all the british prospects e.g david haye ,carl froch .who do you think will go the furthest out of the lot??

i believe carl froch will go onto beat lacy and calzaghe in the next 2,3 years

J !
03-29-2005, 10:08 AM
ones to watch :boxing:

david barnes (welteR)
carl froch (super middle)
David Haye (cruiser)
Michael Hunter (super bantam)
nicky Cook (featherweight)
tony doherty (welter)

id go with barnes. he jut seems to have the style that will transfer to across the pond.

Froch needs to hold his leadup or he is gonna get his head smacked through his arsole one day soon.

decent prospect but need to see him tested.

kidrock
03-30-2005, 11:39 AM
Yeah I think Barnes could well have the style to go to America and do something positive

eden
03-30-2005, 02:57 PM
how old is barnes

hitterwitter
03-31-2005, 03:15 AM
how old is barnes

This is his fight record:

http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=052981

eden
03-31-2005, 08:47 AM
wasnt he ex army or sumin like that

typeone
04-03-2005, 11:02 AM
David Haye for me has all the tools to be a great fighter,He is very sharp, and is to like Naz! able to hit at some odd angles. No doubt the other guys will do well too, But for me David Hayes can be the man, but if he does not sort it out soon hes gonna be a waste of some fine talent. Give me he's skils and I will take erm all out.

HayeFan
04-08-2005, 04:12 PM
Haye. I'm slightly biased though :D

I dont see Barnes making an impact outside of Europe, but you never know.

J !
04-11-2005, 08:06 AM
haye needs to sort his conditioning out and get some rounds under his belt otherwise he will be exposed at the highest level.

he needs experience and to show he has learned his lessons from the thompson fight.

he hjas the talent does he have the desire is the question.

i for one hope so but there are still considerable q marks to be answered yet.

typeone
04-13-2005, 02:57 AM
Make you right J.P.W. You can see that Haye has it in him,to be a good fighter but I don't know why his holding back.From what I have seen of him, Yea there is room for improvement but does he want to? He should be fighting all the time and keeping real busy,Its the best way even if you can only get bum's. Good for target practice I guess?

kingmo
04-13-2005, 09:46 AM
I think Haye is very talented, but he needs to step up his level of opposition and get some serious rounds in. The way in which he faded against Thompson was very worrying. I'd like to see him face the top fighters at domestic level before stepping up, fights aginst the likes of Hobson and Maccarinelli are hardly a foregone conclusion.

boxstarr
04-13-2005, 05:25 PM
i stil will say until i see sum amazin boxer that even though he amateur, amir khan is the best brit up and comer at the moment. he is amazinly strong, especially for someone that young, when i get my fitness back and take up my boxing, i will aspire 2 his level of performance. could go pro but should still wait so he dont get rung out like so many others by the promoters

EXIGE
05-15-2005, 05:20 PM
yep carl froch has a great chance of making an impact. Clinton Woods (i think thats the right 1) is also quite good. Amir Khan obviously cannot be overlooked. Howard Eastman is a great example of how british boxing can be respected, challenged bernard hopkins but hopkins got ahead then ran, no questions.

cant think of anymore. other than is DukeMcKenzie still around?

J !
05-16-2005, 10:38 AM
Another 2 to watch
Gary Woolcombe (light middle)
Ross Minter (welter)

TheBrownBomber22
05-16-2005, 11:28 AM
Kevin Mitchell and Carl froch

boxstarr
05-16-2005, 04:22 PM
aint seen carl froch much but i know he thinks hes got what it takes to reach the top. i mean he says he can K Calzaghe TFO so i hope he got the fists to bak up the mouth, and the chin 2 support it

welshwales
05-16-2005, 06:06 PM
Wayne Alexander
Gary Lockett
Jamie Arthur
Gavin Rees

J !
05-17-2005, 08:52 AM
aleaxander and locket arent exactly prospects mate they have been aroudn a long time, plus Locket is going backwards cuts too easyt and isnt even the best in britain.
Scott Dann woudl make a mess of Gary Im afriad.

no he is a prospect Dann, look out for him, strong big hititng southpaw, oonly man to make Eastman touch down even if the ref wrongly didnt give it.

Martin (Top Knowledge)
05-17-2005, 02:12 PM
Wayne Alexander
Gary Lockett
Jamie Arthur
Gavin Rees
Wayne Alexander?... LOL!... Sorry I'm not being a w*nker!...

Wayne Alexander is a shot fighter... He looked OK about 4-5yrs ago but NOW!?!... He's gone.

Out of all the young prospects I like the look of Nicky Cook. It's not easy holding onto a European belt, Those Italian's (HQ) match you up with some tough old fighters. Nicky isn't getting the easy route, like some other young prospects in the past have(Ricky Hatton for one).

WBU let's you pick and choose... EBU do the picking and choosing for you, (And they don't have your best interests at heart!).

Sn1
05-17-2005, 05:24 PM
Wayne Alexander?... LOL!... Sorry I'm not being a w*nker!...

Wayne Alexander is a shot fighter... He looked OK about 4-5yrs ago but NOW!?!... He's gone.

Out of all the young prospects I like the look of Nicky Cook. It's not easy holding onto a European belt, Those Italian's (HQ) match you up with some tough old fighters. Nicky isn't getting the easy route, like some other young prospects in the past have(Ricky Hatton for one).

WBU let's you pick and choose... EBU do the picking and choosing for you, (And they don't have your best interests at heart!).
yeah cook would appear to be doing it the hard way.

and for me thats also the way that earns you the most respect
win lose or draw. so how is he doing.i dont think ive seen him
fight since he beat the french guy

elveiel
05-17-2005, 05:51 PM
aint seen carl froch much but i know he thinks hes got what it takes to reach the top. i mean he says he can K Calzaghe TFO so i hope he got the fists to bak up the mouth, and the chin 2 support it

I think Froch has talent but IMO Calzaghe would destroy him, even if he had a lot more fights under his belt Calzaghe would destroy him. Any with a relaxed defence like Froch's would really struggle against someone who can punch as fast and as hard as Calzaghe.

elveiel
05-17-2005, 05:58 PM
Yeah I think Barnes could well have the style to go to America and do something positive

Barnes has a lot of talent, he probably one of the most talented fighters in the UK at the moment but he wont ever win world titles. I dont know what it is about Brian Hughes' fighters but they dont have any blood and guts effort, they have all the skill in the world but lack that killer instinct.

Sn1
05-17-2005, 06:22 PM
so is matthew barney frochs next opponent.

im sure ive seen barney but cant picture him.

is he any good ? does anyone think froch could beat robin reid
if not joe calzaghe

elveiel
05-17-2005, 07:03 PM
so is matthew barney frochs next opponent.

im sure ive seen barney but cant picture him.

is he any good ? does anyone think froch could beat robin reid
if not joe calzaghe

I dont think Reid has the balls to fight anymore, its going back to the point i made in the previous post about Brian Hughes' fighters. I think Froch would have a good chance against him.

I remember seeing Barney fight Oakey in the most boring fight i can remember, he basically run away for the whole 12 rounds and Oakey was too slow and lazy to catch him. Barney won by SD but it should have been called a no contest.

If Froch's any good he should win within 6.

J !
05-18-2005, 05:29 AM
was at cooks last defence of the European title agianst Johnny Bregue, he sufffers with bad hands though which could hold him back, I hoipe not tho.

for me the best kept secret in brtiish boxing at the moment is Scott Dann, he is simply destroying his challengers at the moment inside the first 3 in most cases.

keep an eye out for him, spoke to Jamie the other day (saniger) who manages Scott and they want to go European in the next 6 months.

He could well be one to watch for the world scene with that power and being a southpaw..

Sn1
05-19-2005, 02:04 PM
was at cooks last defence of the European title agianst Johnny Bregue, he sufffers with bad hands though which could hold him back, I hoipe not tho.

for me the best kept secret in brtiish boxing at the moment is Scott Dann, he is simply destroying his challengers at the moment inside the first 3 in most cases.

keep an eye out for him, spoke to Jamie the other day (saniger) who manages Scott and they want to go European in the next 6 months.

He could well be one to watch for the world scene with that power and being a southpaw..
scott dann was koed by howard eastman in 2003 but has won
7 fights since. maybe he will turn out to be a world champ

Invader_Stu
05-19-2005, 03:22 PM
British Prospects? Hehe, isn't that an oxymoron, like Airline Food or Microsoft Works? :D

majestiC
05-19-2005, 04:42 PM
Lets just hope that the young fighters don't get another 499009490490 padded fights before getting blown away by someone semi-class!

Sn1
05-19-2005, 06:15 PM
we were crying about our poor prospects for the decade or so
when an englishman ruled the heavyweight division.
while brits were winning belts all through the weights.

stfu bastards

sometimes there arent that many great fighters about.

just like the heavyweight division is weak so maybe is the
british contingent. at least our guys are getting the chance
to step up and lose :D

solo1bc
06-04-2005, 03:44 PM
No mention at all of Junior Witter? Is he too old? how old is he?