View Full Version : [PLEASE HELP] Remember when people used to care about TEKKEN games?

Infern0
10-27-2009, 08:26 PM
Tekken 6 has got a 9.0 on ign, but no-one gives a damn.

I remember the old days of the ps1, when pps used to never shut up about Tekken, it was the coolest thing ever.

- v e t -
10-27-2009, 08:28 PM
haha, yeah the only person i know who wants to play this game is my old lady, and the only OTHER game she was interested in this gen was LBP... go figure

to me, a simple fighting game like that isnt worth nearly $60 this gen... there's so much more available out there for that kinda money, this should be a $40 game for all it offers...

Infern0
10-27-2009, 08:58 PM
haha, yeah the only person i know who wants to play this game is my old lady, and the only OTHER game she was interested in this gen was LBP... go figure

to me, a simple fighting game like that isnt worth nearly $60 this gen... there's so much more available out there for that kinda money, this should be a $40 game for all it offers...

Yeah i agree entirely, you need to be offering more these days, no way is this worth as much as final fantasy 13 which will cost the same

The Dice
10-27-2009, 09:06 PM
Jin was the best fighter until they changed his fighting style

Grand Champ
10-27-2009, 09:07 PM
Damn, it got a 9 ?? This sounds promising. Love the Tekken franchise. too bad they're so expensive. Most likely gonna wait awhile until I can get it on sale.

Problem is fighting game is'nt offering enough. You beat story mode which gives you the bare minimum of a story and all there's left is Survival mode. They should really add something to it. The Tekken franchise have been trying with Tekken Bowling, Tekken Force and custom characters. But they need something more. Something that'll make you put the game in on other occasions then a few battles while drunk with a few buddies, talking flashback memories.

Infern0
10-27-2009, 09:25 PM
Damn, it got a 9 ?? This sounds promising. Love the Tekken franchise. too bad they're so expensive. Most likely gonna wait awhile until I can get it on sale.

Problem is fighting game is'nt offering enough. You beat story mode which gives you the bare minimum of a story and all there's left is Survival mode. They should really add something to it. The Tekken franchise have been trying with Tekken Bowling, Tekken Force and custom characters. But they need something more. Something that'll make you put the game in on other occasions then a few battles while drunk with a few buddies, talking flashback memories.

Thing is what can they add?

some horrible psdeudo-rpg elements like Soul Calibre?

nah, just drop the price a bit i think.

-Hyperion-
10-27-2009, 09:37 PM
i probably wouldve bought it, but i already have street fighter IV, so meh....im loads better at tekken, but i cant just spend money on another fighting game....

Sαntα
10-27-2009, 09:40 PM

I remember the old days of the ps1, when pps used to never shut up about Tekken, it was the coolest thing ever.

Meh, fighting games are dated. Press some buttons, move on to the next stage, rinse and repeat. Gets boring.

Left2body
10-27-2009, 09:43 PM
I kind of agree with a few guys here. For me its not really worth it on a couple of levels. First the money. Secondly it really adds nothing new to the fight genre.

I'll stick with FN4 which has better built in replayability. i.e Career mode. Character creating, real life matchup simulations. Works nicely as a game a group of guys can throw in for an hour or so before a football/baseball/basketball game or big fight since its fast paced and the sticks get moved around.

Grand Champ
10-27-2009, 10:05 PM
Thing is what can they add?

some horrible psdeudo-rpg elements like Soul Calibre?

nah, just drop the price a bit i think.

True, the leveling up on soul calibur was a little weird. What I would've done is putting more focus on the story, making people feel for the fighters getting some smart writers to work on a good story. Especially since the Tekken story makes no sense right now. Also Tekken force, it's always dated graphic, and very repetitive modes you go through (remembering back to Tekken 3) If they used a little effort on the graphics, making it as good as Dead or Alive 4 and some smart idea for fighting and moving around like Ninja Gaiden it would be better and more people would pick it up I think, maybe making it an action-adventure mode.

Verstyle
10-27-2009, 11:21 PM
I loved Tekken Tag and Tekken 4 and 5.I used to own on the arcades. I wouldn't get off till I beat the game. Christy and Eddie Gordo on a regular.

Crazylegs77
10-28-2009, 01:21 AM

yes I remember well, used to play it with friends for hours.

TheCheetah
10-28-2009, 09:51 AM
The Tekken franchise is tight. I don't know what y'all are talking about. I'm not going to buy it though it will most likely be rented off gamefly. Regardless... The Tekken series has always been on point.

???
10-28-2009, 03:31 PM
Well they did have a side story game for Jin in Tekken 5 and they have the raking system in arcade mode.

Dice
10-28-2009, 07:06 PM
Jin was the best fighter until they changed his fighting style

Thats a pretty excellent avi and name you got there

▀ringer
10-28-2009, 08:21 PM
I never pay full price for any fighting game unless it's "Fight Night".

Games like Tekken, Dead or Alive, King of Fighters, Mortal Kombat, etc... All that **** is old hat, who really gives 2 ****s about fighting games these days?

"Street Fighter 4" is likely the last fighting game I'll ever buy, and that's because there's a certain nostalgia attached to that franchise.

POETICDRINK2U
10-29-2009, 02:53 AM
The Tekken Franchise has become stale. It's the year 2009 and still no create a character mode. This game look like all the past Tekkens with more vivid colors and a few new modes.

▀ringer
10-29-2009, 03:21 AM
The Tekken Franchise has become stale. It's the year 2009 and still no create a character mode. This game look like all the past Tekkens with more vivid colors and a few new modes.

To be fair though ; Fighting games in general were passed up by technology last Generation.

Nobody cares about them anymore. (I'm not talking Fight Night, or a UFC game, those can be considered sports titles.)

They were fun as hell back in the day when gaming was in it's infancy, and "Street Fighter" and "Mortal Kombat" ruled the arcades and home consoles.

But there's only so much you can do with a fighting game, only so much you can add to keep people's attention. They become repetitive after the first 10 fights or so. Unless you want to branch out and master every character in the game, and these days, who does that anymore?

Like somebody else already said ; It's a dated genre that is completely obsolete in today's market.

Sick/
10-29-2009, 02:58 PM
Tekken 3 was the greatest.

Idgas
10-29-2009, 09:39 PM
fighting games are dead. there's no innovation in that genre.

???
10-29-2009, 09:53 PM
Tekken 6 has online play.

TintaBoricua
10-30-2009, 01:50 AM
What the hell are you guys talking about? If it's the price alone that's bothering you, then I'll give you that.

But to say that it "brings nothing new" or "fighting games are old, boring...press some buttons, move on to the next stage, etc."

What the...?

Fighting games are meant to played with other people. You don't get much out of it if you're playing it alone. It's not that the CPU is exploitable, it's that it's not as dynamic or benefitial if you just play a fighting game alone...just for the story.

Jeez...

Attend or watch a high-level MvC2 tourney, I'm sure you'll get a few chuckles or moments along the way and have a good time. Watch Daigo vs. Iyo on youtube competing in SF4, witness Ryan Hart or Crow demolishing people in T5DR, or Wong in MvC2, or Buktooth in CapcomVs.SNK2...

The fighting game scene isn't alive as it used to be because consoles are better than arcades and people aren't willing to shell out money for limited play anymore, at least not stateside. In Japan, it's still very much active.

These games aren't as popular as they once were, but they are by no means dead. If they were, explain the thousands of attendants that come to EVO every year in Vegas.

Once again, the price...a little pricey in this day and age for a single game.

If you're competitive about the game and look at it from a tourney player's perspective, you'd probably enjoy it more by actually digging into the game and working on the game mechanics and comboes, rather than just complaining about how little story there is in the game or some other crap like that. Fo' shame! :puppy_dog

I personally am thinking about selling Blazblue. I've tried to play it and all, but I just can't get into it. Got that for my birthday, another friend got me SF4 (nice), and wednesday got me Tekken. Not disappointing.

What'd ya' guys expect? A campaign mode with 20+ hours of CG movies or something like that? :rofl:

Grand Champ
10-30-2009, 03:18 AM
Tekken 6 has online play.

heard it should be real laggy...

Idgas
10-30-2009, 03:25 AM
Fighting games are meant to played with other people. You don't get much out of it if you're playing it alone. It's not that the CPU is exploitable, it's that it's not as dynamic or benefitial if you just play a fighting game alone...just for the story.

that doesn't change the fact that it's still the same old gameplay which is what we're pointing out. imo, unless someone comes up with an innovative team based fighting system, and i'm not talking about just having multiple players fighting at the same time on the same screen, fighting games will stay a dying genre.

What'd ya' guys expect? A campaign mode with 20+ hours of CG movies or something like that? :rofl:

no, but maybe fighting games should start thinking about that. look at the solo based games that are now incorporating multiplayer like Metal Gear Solid 4 and Uncharted 2. these games are growing and changing into something more than what they started out as while fighting games are still one on one beat 'em ups.

▀ringer
10-30-2009, 03:28 AM
What the hell are you guys talking about? If it's the price alone that's bothering you, then I'll give you that.

But to say that it "brings nothing new" or "fighting games are old, boring...press some buttons, move on to the next stage, etc."

What the...?

Jeez...

Attend or watch a high-level MvC2 tourney, I'm sure you'll get a few chuckles or moments along the way and have a good time. Watch Daigo vs. Iyo on youtube competing in SF4, witness Ryan Hart or Crow demolishing people in T5DR, or Wong in MvC2, or Buktooth in CapcomVs.SNK2...

The fighting game scene isn't alive as it used to be because consoles are better than arcades and people aren't willing to shell out money for limited play anymore, at least not stateside. In Japan, it's still very much active.

These games aren't as popular as they once were, but they are by no means dead. If they were, explain the thousands of attendants that come to EVO every year in Vegas.

If you're competitive about the game and look at it from a tourney player's perspective, you'd probably enjoy it more by actually digging into the game and working on the game mechanics and comboes, rather than just complaining about how little story there is in the game or some other crap like that. Fo' shame! :puppy_dog

I personally am thinking about selling Blazblue. I've tried to play it and all, but I just can't get into it. Got that for my birthday, another friend got me SF4 (nice), and wednesday got me Tekken. Not disappointing.

I understand what you're saying, but honestly ; how many players out there are as good as the guys you mentioned?

Not many.

If you're into tournaments and that whole scene, then fighting games are very much a wise investment. A valuable asset.

But for most regular gamers ; people just want to "pick up and play". Not have to worry about learning intricate button sequences to pull off special moves, or link together amazing combos.

They really have no appeal to anybody anymore apart from the genre's diehards. After a short period of time, they offer little to no replay value to anybody who's not completely devoted to them.

And while that demographic is still huge in numbers today, when compared to the overall demographic of everybody that plays video games ; it's a mere fraction of the total number.

TintaBoricua
10-30-2009, 12:36 PM
I understand what you're saying, but honestly ; how many players out there are as good as the guys you mentioned?

Not many.

If you're into tournaments and that whole scene, then fighting games are very much a wise investment. A valuable asset.

But for most regular gamers ; people just want to "pick up and play". Not have to worry about learning intricate button sequences to pull off special moves, or link together amazing combos.

They really have no appeal to anybody anymore apart from the genre's diehards. After a short period of time, they offer little to no replay value to anybody who's not completely devoted to them.

And while that demographic is still huge in numbers today, when compared to the overall demographic of everybody that plays video games ; it's a mere fraction of the total number.

Yeah, I'll give you that. It's sad, though. I thoroughly enjoy fighting games much more on a competitive level than today's brutallly mainstream FPS games, which is the rage these days: Halo, CoD, Counter-Strike along with the World Cyber Games. Meh. It's not to say I don't enjoy those games, but there's something very appealing to fighting games that, in my eyes, separates them from other competitive games. I dunno, maybe it's just a personal preference.

I see what you're also saying about "pick up and play" gamers. Fighting games don't usually tend to be that way anymore, though...especially when we consider that most of these fighting games (that are selling) are sequels to age-old series: Street Fighter, Tekken, DOA, Marvel, Soul Calibur, even Guilty Gear is several years old and by the time you pick up the game, if you haven't played the last games or followed up on it, you're in for a monstrous learning curve if you're not applied to it. I guess these games are sort of a double-edged.

I got Soul Calibur 4 last year as a present and honestly tried to get into the series, but I have never been able to see what's been so appealing about it. It's got tons of extra features and campaign modes and this and that, customizable characters and whatnot, but I never liked it. Same deal with Blazblue, I've been playing it a little, but just haven't gotten into it. But I can afford to give it some more time since I've only had it for about 3 weeks (and really haven't played it that much).

The only ones that have I've never disliked have been the Marvel series, Third Strike, and Tekken. Anything out of that is outside of my comfort zone. I forgot about MK2, though. I played that game to death back when I was in second grade. :rofl:

Bottom line: Fighting games aren't appealing as they once were to consumers. FACT. Some fighting games become more complex with every sequel, thus requiring more work on behalf of casual players to become good at it. FACT.

BUT

If you're going to play a fighting game for the story...RENT, don't buy.

The Scientist
10-30-2009, 06:22 PM
I lost interest after Tekken 2. When the original Tekken made its debut on the Playstation, it was mind blowing. Made Virtua Fighter look like **** graphically, and didn't have the "fighting in outer space" movement mechanics that VF had. The 10-hit combo system was great, and the ability to counter your opponents assualt in Tekken 2 made it even better. The second in the series is the most memorable to me.

apokalips
10-31-2009, 08:19 PM
I LOVE Tekken...still the best fighting game for me....maybe VF on par but not enough of my friends play it, although I do love Soul Calibur since the Soul Blade days....weren't really diggin the Create a Character mode tho.

Kastrioti
11-04-2009, 11:57 PM
Fighting games are all garbage if you play 1p lol... The real fun comes when you play online against other people. Tekken 6 is an awesome game, if you play it against others in arcades or online, it can never really get boring since you can never really master a fighting game cause theres always new challenging players out there, unless you simply don't like the style and pace of the game.

Kastrioti
11-04-2009, 11:58 PM

What the...?

Jeez...

Truth.......

Clegg
11-05-2009, 10:02 AM
Just rented Tekken 6. If any of you guys fancying kicking my arse on the 360 let me know.

Clegg
11-05-2009, 11:36 AM
My review of my first 10 minutes playing Tekken 6.

Started off with arcade mode. Opponents have a listed record (ie. 5 wins, 3 defeats), as do you. Just like in VF5. Had three fights. Won them all and was promoted to 9th kyu. Just like in VF5.

Not that impressed with the gameplay at this point. Obviously I need to learn some moves and how different characters play, but I'm not too keen on the mechanics of things like jumping kicks. In this regard I prefer VF5, SF4 and MK vs DC, but obviously I've only just started so it might grow on me.

Tried out something called Scenario Mode or something like that. Get a cutscene about Tekken 1. Seems boring so I skip it and get a loading screen. Then Tekken 2. Skip. Loading screen. This happens for all 6 Tekkens, how annoying. Then a cutscene about some guy with soldiers after him in a warehouse or something. Tried to pay attention but got bored so skipped it. More loading. Then a couple more I think.

Finally the mode started, and me and some guys in red armour have to fight some big GunJack guys. The mode plays a bit like Marvel Ultimate Alliance I guess. Then it's just me and a girl outside. She looks like a kid but seems to be doing a decent job helping me beat up these big robot-men things.

This mode probably gets better, apparently it goes on to include flamethrowers and aliens, but I got bored so decided to go online.

I notice that there's a character called Wang. This is a plus. I pick Kazuya though.

Seems like it's a best of 5 rather than a best of 3. That'll make it harder for me to get a lucky win. My opponent is a big sumo guy. I lose the first round, win the second, lose the next two. Seems like there's a bit of a lag perhaps as the characters are moving slower than they do in offline mode.

The end.

Yaman
11-05-2009, 11:59 AM
I have to say the last 3 Tekken games have been too fast paced for me. The story lines are always still great, that's what makes Tekken so great imo. But the last great Tekken game that made me addicted was Tag Tournament. I still play that one all the time, trying to break my survival mode records.