View Full Version : are push-ups really effective or not

dino
03-25-2005, 02:55 AM
ive heard ppl praise push-ups..then ive heard push-ups are only good for military conditing and dosent make u stronger...what is everybodys opinion and what have u read?

Rockin'
03-25-2005, 03:24 AM
Its the same as lifting light weights with high repetition. You will get stronger, but more than that you will build endurance in those muscles. I always did mine as fast as I could. Push up, then just drop straight down stopping right before your nose hits the florr and pushing up again immediately and quickly. Explosive strentgh, which is what boxing is about...........Rockin'

jeffmills
03-25-2005, 03:44 PM
Yes push-ups are very good. they get you very fit and build endurance in your muscles.

Also do different varieties of push-ups, for example, handstand push-ups, push-ups with your feet raised on a chair, put your hands near your chest and make a triangle with your thumbs touching and your index fingers touching.

But also do other kinds of calisthenics such as pull-ups.

zip
03-26-2005, 07:25 AM
Try to do jump push-ups (sorry dont know the name for it).
You go down like normal and push up really hard so you can clap your hands (or put your hands on your chest) and then quickly go down again and repeat. It trains the explosve power in your muscles. And that's what u need in a fight. If you do regular push ups it trains endurance for long time activity but in a boxig fight you want to bring out high power with EVERY punch.

buff_mike10
03-26-2005, 07:55 PM
They are called plyometric pushups, and are very effective. Cus D'amato trained his fighters with those along with plyometric jumping.

aldridge
03-26-2005, 08:23 PM
Yeah they are effective, make sure to do different types of pushups for some variety though.

MlLkMan
03-26-2005, 08:51 PM
And make sure not to do it that fast, it reduces results

dangerousity
03-27-2005, 05:59 PM
I do clap pushups. Its more for endurance than anything, it works alot of muscles too. Explosive pushups will of course help with the explosiveness. I can do about 110 half decent normal pushups and 80 full normal pushups, shoulders and triceps usually burn afterwards. Good thing is, those are exactly the same muscles burning when Im throwing too many punches :)

boxinglegend
03-29-2005, 06:47 AM
there is different opinions, try these threads which may help you out a bit

http://www.1-2-free-forums.com/mf/boxing.html

or

http://boxingkent00.tripod.com

enjoy! :)

UnstoppableOne
03-31-2005, 02:58 AM
Some very good tips.. Thanks

Boxfan12
03-31-2005, 09:01 AM
ive heard ppl praise push-ups..then ive heard push-ups are only good for military conditing and dosent make u stronger...what is everybodys opinion and what have u read?

Tell you the truth, I never lifted weights it always got me to big. I would do push ups and Sit ups. alot of times when training on my own i would do speed drills. Which is Push ups,sit ups,leg lifts. Ive done this all through my amature carreer and my very short professional career. My son right now he is not sure if he wants to fight or not but all he does is push ups and sit ups every day and he is in amazing shape.

czars_salad
03-31-2005, 09:28 AM
Try to do jump push-ups (sorry dont know the name for it).
You go down like normal and push up really hard so you can clap your hands (or put your hands on your chest) and then quickly go down again and repeat. It trains the explosve power in your muscles. And that's what u need in a fight. If you do regular push ups it trains endurance for long time activity but in a boxig fight you want to bring out high power with EVERY punch.
i tried this one, and it's very difficult

i miscalculated once, and i hit my face on the floor :o

czars_salad
03-31-2005, 09:31 AM
lifting weights for me is more effective because you can increase the strenght of your muscles by adding weights, get it?

Warden11
04-01-2005, 05:05 PM
The way I look at it, they work out exhaust you differetnly then weight tranning and they are easy just to do at anytime so why not do them?
SO basically they are easy, convinent and dont hurt you in any way so just do them