View Full Version : Speed Workouts

RUDDY
03-23-2005, 05:36 AM
What exercises do you guys do to increase your speed of punches and combinations?

jeffmills
03-23-2005, 06:10 AM
Throw one-two punches non stop at a heavybag for 30 seconds. Rest for 30 then repeat.

Speedbag, shadowboxing and padwork all help as well.

While shadowboxing, stay relaxed and loose and start off slow, through your punches with perfect form, allow your body to warm itself up and gradually your body will start throwing punches faster and faster.

Don't use weights in your hands while shadowboxing however. that doesn't work because they exert a downward force on your punches through gravity. Though they are useful for developing stamina at keep your hands up.

Dyl-G
03-23-2005, 01:15 PM
Throw one-two punches non stop at a heavybag for 30 seconds. Rest for 30 then repeat.

Speedbag, shadowboxing and padwork all help as well.

While shadowboxing, stay relaxed and loose and start off slow, through your punches with perfect form, allow your body to warm itself up and gradually your body will start throwing punches faster and faster.

Don't use weights in your hands while shadowboxing however. that doesn't work because they exert a downward force on your punches through gravity. Though they are useful for developing stamina at keep your hands up.

when hitting the bag, switch from uppercuts, to jab-straights, to hooks and do it as fast as possible for 30 seconds and keep switching through rounds... and yes it is good to shadowbox with weights but make sure theyre only 2-3 pound weights but only do it like twice a week. itll increase speed, technique, and stamina.

blockburna944
03-24-2005, 01:04 AM
All the things said are pretty good advice, but be careful if you punch with weights cause they can mess up your shoulders. Also, if you do them with a lot of rest and fewer rounds, it is good for your speed. Doing them with lest rest and more rounds is great for endurance though, which i think is more important for the way most people fight. you just need to find the compromise.

joeboxer
03-24-2005, 01:17 AM
I chase a chicken in the back alley.

abdiel2k3
03-24-2005, 01:19 AM
I chase a chicken in the back alley.
whata coincidince
i choke one in my room

joeboxer
03-24-2005, 01:21 AM
whata coincidince
i choke one in my room

I actually do that exercise with my left hand, to help out my jab. It really works.

abdiel2k3
03-24-2005, 01:23 AM
I actually do that exercise with my left hand, to help out my jab. It really works.
lmao
dat some funny ****
but when i was younger
i use to masterbate way too much
im talk like twice a day
it was outta hand
lmao
but after a while a started to get paraniod that my right hand might get to big
then maken it all obvious that im constantly jerkin off
so i started usin my left too
at first it was harder
but after a while it got easier
and no joke my jab and hooks also got easier

joeboxer
03-24-2005, 01:27 AM
I wasn't kidding either. I also started pouring the milk with my left and doing whatever I can with my left.

abdiel2k3
03-24-2005, 01:29 AM
I wasn't kidding either. I also started pouring the milk with my left and doing whatever I can with my left.
lol
im not kidding either

Dyl-G
03-25-2005, 12:00 AM
lol
im not kidding either

i look up to you guys

FuryDragon
03-25-2005, 12:34 AM
Funny **** guys.

But seriously, to get back into the original topic, I'd say that some good advice has been given here. Also, if you use weights properly you can increase speed and explosive power. A lot of coaches believe in the old adage that boxers + weights = slower boxer, but that's not true at all.

You can also purchase one of those mini-fitness balls and punch with it, releasing the ball from your grip at the end of your punch. That'll help you develop more speed, and a decent snap at the end of your punch.

Experiment a bit.

Rockin'
03-25-2005, 03:51 AM
I highly recommend using a 2 to 2 1/2 pound weight when shadowboxing. It will build some strength and make your fists fly when you set them down and start throwing. I used them for every round of shadowboxing, besides when I fought the next day. But then in the locker room before the fight I would pick them up and start throwing right before I gloved up. It will increase your speed. I however do not recommend choking the chicken for strength. Ofcourse that is unless your hung like me in which case you would be playing with a considerable amount of weight............ Hung like a horse (lmfao).....Rockin'

UnstoppableOne
03-31-2005, 02:22 AM
Wow, I have learned alot in a short time through the forum. I will try these exercises thanks to everyone that contributed.

Dropkick
03-31-2005, 02:29 AM
There is a site called SpeedBagCentral.com that lists some "focused workouts", with the speed bag and there are a few listed specifically to increase speed.

http://www.speedbagcentral.com/Tips_FocusedWorkouts.html#B
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Speed

You can do speed focused workouts on any size bag and bag control may be an issue here. Larger bags will not go as fast as smaller bags. It may help to consider that each speed bag, not matter what size, has three general speeds. The First is SLOW, or warm-up speed, the second is NORMAL or workout speed, and the third is FULL speed. On any size bag, most people can only maintain full speed for a short period of time.
Use progressively smaller bags, which go faster due to shorter rebound arch.
Reduce the swinging movement of your punching techniques. Swing SMALLER, not harder!

..then it lists a couple of different workout variations to target your workout for increasing speed.

hope it helps. It has worked for me :)

Boxfan12
03-31-2005, 07:49 AM
I highly recommend using a 2 to 2 1/2 pound weight when shadowboxing. It will build some strength and make your fists fly when you set them down and start throwing. I used them for every round of shadowboxing, besides when I fought the next day. But then in the locker room before the fight I would pick them up and start throwing right before I gloved up. It will increase your speed. I however do not recommend choking the chicken for strength. Ofcourse that is unless your hung like me in which case you would be playing with a considerable amount of weight............ Hung like a horse (lmfao).....Rockin'

Before i read you're post i was about to say the same thing that is with the 2 1/2 weights. Shawdow boxing is a good way. ive always done 6&7 punch combos while a trainer/coach held the bag(so it dont swing.) Thats what i have always done to get speed. There is really know 1 way to train for speed. Its what you want to do. Also depends on how you train. there is fighters like hagler, He called training going to prison, He would put 5 pound weights on his ankles and run down the beach not joging but RUNING. Mits always help.