Grant to turn pro

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grant to turn pro

Grant opts to turn professional

Teenage Amateur Boxing Association champion Michael Grant has announced his intention to turn professional.
    The 18-year-old from Enfield told the ABA that his light-middleweight triumph against Jamie Cox in London last week would be his last as an amateur.

"I've made my mind up and I am now speaking to promoters and looking to pass my medical," Grant said.

It may cause problems for Amir Khan's camp, who were looking to Grant should the bout with Mario Kindelan collapse.

Grant, who had been scheduled to box in a Four Nations competition starting at Liverpool Olympia on Thursday but has now withdrawn, is confident he has made the right decision.

"I know a lot of great fighters who won the ABAs and went on to turn professional and win world titles.

"Winning the ABAs was a dream come true for me and I was overjoyed, but I know now is the right time to move on."

I'm sure I remember this guy Grant being in a cracking amateur fight with Kevin Mitchell a while back on BBC, looked pretty slick but Mitchell had too much for him I think & won a decision.

didn't he box and win at the 4 nations?? I think he is scheduled to fight Kindelan when the Cubans come over.

Comment

Originally posted by kingmo
      didn't he box and win at the 4 nations?? I think he is scheduled to fight Kindelan when the Cubans come over.
      Grant pulled out of the four nations mate.

"Kindelan, the 34-year-old legend, will already be in Britain as part of his national team for a tournament against the Four Nations winners in Liverpool on April 8th. He faces Birmingham's Frankie Gavin".

Comment

Working...
      X