View Full Version : difference between southpaw and orhtodox

kdr
03-22-2005, 06:58 AM
hi guys
iam new in boxing world and i just want to ask what's the difference between southpaw and orthodox and i heard that all say that southpaw is the best can any one explain to me the difference plz and 10x .

thorgeir23
03-22-2005, 07:34 AM
It is as far as i know just if you prefer to fight with your right foot in front, southpaws are not as common so they can be harder to fight because of lack of training against southpaws.

jack_the_rippuh
03-22-2005, 04:01 PM
Generally a southpaw is a left-handed fighter and an orthodox fighter is a right-handed fighter, but as the post above mine mentions, it all comes down to how you feel comfortable placing your feet. If you like the right foot in front, you're a southpaw, if you like the left hook in front you're an orthodox fighter.

Rockin'
03-22-2005, 07:35 PM
If you are a right handed fighter fighting a south paw there are a few general rules to follow.

1. Keep your lead foot to the left of his lead foot while cirling to your left. This keeps you out of the direct path of his power hand, being the left hand.

2. Shoot alot of lead rights and follow with the hook.

3. If he is jabbing at you alot, catch his jab with your left and counter back immediately with your jab. Its tough to time but does work. Aswell, if he is jabbing alot, find his rythme and timing and slip his jab, moving your head to the left and just put your right hand out. he will run right into it. Once you get comfortable doing this you can begin loading up on the right hand. This will keep him from jabbing as much. Let him throw it and then stick that right hand down his throat.

4. Jabs and straight right hands to the belly, remember to keep that cirling to your left going and get low when you throw them.

5. If that doesnt work, throw cation to the wind and turn it into a brawl.

^. I noticed that by me switching into a south paw stance, it would throw them off. They are used to fighting orthadox fighters aswell so it confuses them the same it does an orthadox fighter. Oh yeah, you will also need to be accustomed to fighting as a left hander , that helps.........Rockin'

jeffmills
03-22-2005, 08:34 PM
There are two reasons why southpaws are less common than orthodoxes.

1. I think only 1 in 10 people are left handed. And most people are taught to box with their power hand at the rear, and their weakest hand in front.

2. Southpaws can be hard to match against opponents as they are very tricky to fight against for many people. DLH is a lefty but he fights orthodox for this reason. So does Barrera I believe.

Interestingly, Winky Wright is a righty who fights Southpaw. He claims he has just always felt more comfortable fighting that way.

abdiel2k3
03-22-2005, 08:45 PM
There are two reasons why southpaws are less common than orthodoxes.

1. I think only 1 in 10 people are left handed. And most people are taught to box with their power hand at the rear, and their weakest hand in front.

2. Southpaws can be hard to match against opponents as they are very tricky to fight against for many people. DLH is a lefty but he fights orthodox for this reason. So does Barrera I believe.

Interestingly, Winky Wright is a righty who fights Southpaw. He claims he has just always felt more comfortable fighting that way.
dats why hes got a solid jab and weak ass strait left