View Full Version : Was Ali ever hurt in his fight with Foreman?

Derranged
10-15-2009, 12:52 PM
Just wondering, I never got a clear answer on this. I haven't seen the fight or a documentary on it in quite a while.

sonnyboyx2
10-15-2009, 01:22 PM
Just wondering, I never got a clear answer on this. I haven't seen the fight or a documentary on it in quite a while.

i cannot recall him being hurt at any times

mickey malone
10-15-2009, 01:34 PM
i cannot recall him being hurt at any times
Sure I heard somewhere that he pissed blood afterwards..?

TheGreatA
10-15-2009, 01:39 PM
Sure I heard somewhere that he pissed blood afterwards..?

From body punches but I don't think Ali ever showed signs of being hurt during the fight. Some claim that Ali said he was out on his feet but I've never actually heard him say this and I don't see any point in the fight where he could be.

1SILVA
10-15-2009, 01:48 PM

In the second and third rounds, Ali was hurt by some hellacious body shots and when you watch the fight you can see him wince. The key to him surviving was he kept telling Foreman that his punches were soft. Foreman in many interviews said how he was deflated throughout the fight when Ali would tell him his punches were doing no damage at all. Ali had the mind and heart of a lion.

sonnyboyx2
10-15-2009, 01:54 PM
Ali staggered Foreman with a JAB

Sugarj
10-15-2009, 01:57 PM
He didn't actually ever seem to be seriously in trouble in the fight but I'm sure in Richard Durham's biography Ali said that one particular punch sent him into a bad place. He did take some nasty head punches in that fight.

There is also a round, I forget which...where the bell goes and Foreman lands a body shot a split second afterwards which made Ali really glare as he was lead back to his corner.

Dr. Ironfist
10-15-2009, 02:06 PM
Ali had to cheat to beat a 188 pounder, Henry Cooper...Took smelling salt to revive, what a joke he was.

Derranged
10-15-2009, 03:06 PM
Ali had to cheat to beat a 188 pounder, Henry Cooper...Took smelling salt to revive, what a joke he was.

And that has to do with my topic question how?

I guess I can't complain, I constantly make relevant posts in serious threads.

boxingbuff
10-15-2009, 03:51 PM
In his book(The greatest) Ali said that Foreman hurt him once and knocked him into the half-dream room.

Ali said Foreman hit him with a upper cut that felt like it BLASTED off his jaw.He said this was in the 3rd round.

I watched the 3rd round and saw no where,where Ali appeared hurt.I just watched the entire fight also and saw no where,where Ali apprered hurt.Those body punches would seem to have hurt him though.

Ali said when he got hurt by Foreman that he kept talking to him so that George would not sense he was hurt.

Southpaw Stinger
10-15-2009, 04:15 PM

By Ali, you mean Dundee used the then legal smelling salt?

Princemanspopa
10-15-2009, 04:26 PM
Most fighters will always deny that they were hurt,even when it appears they were hurt but Ali usually admitted when he was hurt such as claiming Shavers had him hurt numerous times throughout their fight rather than just that one right hand that shocked the hell out of him.

By Ali, you mean Dundee used the then legal smelling salt?

I don't believe it was a legal smelling salt but such tactics aren't limited to Angelo Dundee.As late as the early 1980's,commentators would openly discuss trainers using smelling salts for their hurt fighters.

bojangles1987
10-15-2009, 06:45 PM
Ali probably got dazed and hurt a few times, pretty sure he said so. Dude was just so damn good at the mind games he never let Foreman see it.

masta
10-15-2009, 08:51 PM
I don't doubt it.

Foreman was one of the most devastating punchers to ever grace the heavyweight division. Ali took some pretty good shots that night so it's possible he was hurt. But he certainly didn't show it.

JAB5239
10-16-2009, 04:26 AM

Nope, he never cheated. Smelling salts were perfectly legal then.

blacklodge
10-16-2009, 06:40 AM
Imagine my suprise in 1990 or so when I first saw this fight. I had read about it being this punishing fight for Ali, that Foreman had Ali against the ropes and just laying punch after punch on him, dominating the fight and then suddenly Ali comes off the ropes and puts him down and out. This is why you don't trust most boxing history. I would be hard pressed to find a round that Foreman won.
In any case, I don't think Ali was hurt. I don't know that I would define Foreman as actually hurt as opposed to just spent and quit.

Silencers
10-16-2009, 07:26 AM
Ali said a punch in round 2 I believe it was, was a punch that had bells ringing in his head.

THE REED™
01-14-2013, 03:32 PM
He said it was the closest to death he's ever felt, so I'm gonna imagine he was hurt, he just didn't show it.

Barn
01-14-2013, 03:38 PM
He said it was the closest to death he's ever felt, so I'm gonna imagine he was hurt, he just didn't show it.
That was for the final Frazier fight.

I guess Ali would have been hurting but never seriously hurt in that fight. I had Ali up in a boring fight at the time of the stoppage. Foreman couldn't catch him flush consistently despite wailing away manically but the body shots that did land did look gruesome. Ali just used the right hand all night and popped him with it until he was too worn out by his stupid gameplan and had absorbed too many.

THE REED™
01-14-2013, 03:43 PM
That was for the final Frazier fight.

I guess Ali would have been hurting but never seriously hurt in that fight. I had Ali up in a boring fight at the time of the stoppage. Foreman couldn't catch him flush consistently despite wailing away manically but the body shots that did land did look gruesome. Ali just used the right hand all night and popped him with it until he was too worn out by his stupid gameplan and had absorbed too many.

I am to be corrected. I knew it was one of the two, I thought it was the Foreman fight.

Theres no way those body shots didnt hurt him.... though Im unsure if TS meant visibly stunned.

New England
01-14-2013, 03:49 PM

he said that about the thrilla in manilla if memory serves right. he took punishment on the ropes in the foreman fight, but it wasn't on the level of some of his more grueling fights.

the thrilla in manilla might be the most gruesome two way fight i've ever seen. usually when a guy is beaten to death it's in a one sided fight. those two could have beaten each other to death. scary stuff.

New England
01-14-2013, 03:50 PM
Nope, he never cheated. Smelling salts were perfectly legal then.

they were a game-changer IMO.

Barn
01-14-2013, 03:51 PM
I am to be corrected. I knew it was one of the two, I thought it was the Foreman fight.

Theres no way those body shots didnt hurt him.... though Im unsure if TS meant visibly stunned.
Yeah they looked nasty.

It's been a while since I watched it but I can't remember any really hard flush shots landing on Ali so much that he was ever in serious trouble, definitely the big clubs to the body that had me wincing. Ali did an excellent job of keeping a tight guard and using his gloves and arms to win the day.

likeamulekick
01-14-2013, 04:47 PM
round 5 is the one to watch, showed y alis the greatest. George layed in to his body like he was a heavy bag and ali comes back at the end, legend. Sayin that though foreman did the best he could but he also at the heat and crowd against him, ali jus sucked the life out of him that fight

New England
01-14-2013, 04:51 PM
Yeah they looked nasty.

It's been a while since I watched it but I can't remember any really hard flush shots landing on Ali so much that he was ever in serious trouble, definitely the big clubs to the body that had me wincing. Ali did an excellent job of keeping a tight guard and using his gloves and arms to win the day.

the real question; does he roll punches better than lucas matthysse?

Ziggy Stardust
01-14-2013, 05:06 PM

I've no doubt they hurt.....I'm thinking the TS is meaning hurt as in staggered/wobbled/buzzed ect.

Poet

S. Saddler 1310
01-14-2013, 05:24 PM
Foreman was reshaping heavybags. no doubt Ali had to suck it up during the fight. he conditioned himself for that, though, allowing guys to pound his body in the sparring ring.

Barn
01-14-2013, 05:30 PM
the real question; does he roll punches better than lucas matthysse?
i'm afraid not.

New England
01-14-2013, 05:32 PM
i'm afraid not.

if you can believe it, i meant to send that reply to the thread about the fighting giraffe. slick vet came from behind for a knockout.

PulpFriction
01-14-2013, 05:35 PM

Ali didn't cheat in that fight, angelo dundee cheated, he slit open ali's glove on purpose so he could get 5 min to recover.

likeamulekick
01-14-2013, 07:35 PM
Ali didn't cheat in that fight, angelo dundee cheated, he slit open ali's glove on purpose so he could get 5 min to recover.
apparently theres proof that there was a small slit in that round before he went down, think theres a pic somewhere

BKM-2010
01-14-2013, 08:59 PM
Just rewatched that amazing fight. To answer the question I think at most Ali was slightly stunned a couple times, if even that. Because he'd take a huge shot, look like he's affected but he would be either on the attack or show footwork with no weary legs like right after. Just amazing durability on Ali. Just a freak of nature.

MRBOOMER
01-14-2013, 10:03 PM
I heard on some interview a guy said he'd watch Ali go to sleep from a punch and wake up after geeting hit again lol. I don't remember where but I think it was the when we kings or one with his fight doctor

Anthony342
01-14-2013, 11:31 PM

If that's true, why is no knife or razor seen in the footage of that fight and why is there no more than a minute elapsed when watching that fight before Ali and Cooper continue fighting? And smelling salts were legal, probably still are. Trainers just don't use them anymore because they're not safe, can cause brain swelling.

BennyST
01-17-2013, 10:52 AM

Why don't people even watch the fight they claim to know about? Mate, just go watch the fight. It'll enlighten you and stop you looking like a complete **** the next time you just repeat some BS rumour you saw on the internet somewhere.

New England
01-17-2013, 11:00 AM
If that's true, why is no knife or razor seen in the footage of that fight and why is there no more than a minute elapsed when watching that fight before Ali and Cooper continue fighting? And smelling salts were legal, probably still are. Trainers just don't use them anymore because they're not safe, can cause brain swelling.

smelling salts are illegal in boxing corners today. i'll have to do some digging to figure out when they were banned from region to region.

i'm not certain if doctors still use them to revive unconscious fighters.

NChristo
01-17-2013, 11:00 AM
Why don't people even watch the fight they claim to know about? Mate, just go watch the fight. It'll enlighten you and stop you looking like a complete **** the next time you just repeat some BS rumour you saw on the internet somewhere.

Probably the quickest 5 minutes I've ever seen, almost feels like it was just the normal interval time.

Scott9945
01-17-2013, 11:52 AM

Did you hear about when Willie Pep scored a devastating KO without even throwing a punch? :D

Barn
01-17-2013, 11:54 AM
smelling salts are illegal in boxing corners today. i'll have to do some digging to figure out when they were banned from region to region.

i'm not certain if doctors still use them to revive unconscious fighters.
i'm sure a study showed they increase the chance of blood clots, which is really bad in boxing.

speaking from memory though.

SBleeder
01-17-2013, 11:55 AM

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd147/Prince_Vegeta_eBaums/Homer-Facepalm.jpg

Clay got, at the most, 11 extra seconds of recovery.

Did you hear about when Willie Pep scored a devastating KO without even throwing a punch? :D

That was against Rocky Marciano, although Marciano was using another name, which is why Rocky is incorrectly considered to have retired undefeated.

Welsh Jon
01-17-2013, 04:03 PM

I was shocked when I actually watched that fight. The mainstream press in the UK picked up on the myth about the torn glove buying Ali time and ran with it. I've read articles in the sports pages of respected national newspapers talking about that moment as if there was credence to the story. I was amazed when I watched and saw next to no advantage gained by Ali.

It goes to show how low standards are in boxing journalism these days.

wmute
01-17-2013, 05:30 PM
Like everyone else here, I saw the fight a few times, but not recently.

I remember thinking Ali briefly looked out of it at some point after an uppercut. I think it was round 5 or 6.

theproof
01-20-2013, 09:08 AM
you don't have to look hurt or stagger or take a big shot to be hurt. there were many times he was hurt in the fight but georges punches were more clubbing than anything.

Japanese Boxing
01-20-2013, 04:58 PM
Everything Foreman threw hurt. Ali was one hell of an actor.

Panamaniac
01-22-2013, 01:02 PM
Sure I heard somewhere that he pissed blood afterwards..?That was after a bout with a different George - Chuvalo. During the fight with Foreman, the only "hurt" Ali suffered was severe sore arms from blocking all those haymakers. After the fight however, he had to dive to the canvas to keep from getting hurt by a jubilant mob...

sleazyfellow
01-23-2013, 10:13 PM
The whole cooper thing is a myth, I seen the whole fight, listen to the commentary, "looks like clay has a torn glove....oh no it seems to be alright", not to take anything away from cooper, that guy could hit HARD.

But as for foreman, yeah he looked sloppy in the late rounds but he got off some good punches early in the fight, but he was against an atg chin and body so it didn't appear to be bad. Once ali got passed that it was all his, I just can't believe a pro like foreman would spend all his energy hitting nothing, and not pick his shots.