View Full Version : Ezzard Charles's Love For Clothes

JB16
10-14-2009, 10:31 PM
Clothes were the one luxury Ezzard Charles indulged himself in when he started making decent money as a fighter. Clothes were the reason he became a fighter.

''I was about ten when I saw Kid Chocolate ride down my block in Cincinnati, Charles would recall. He was a great Featherweight fighter from Cuba and he came to town to fight a local boy called Johnny Farr. Kid Chocolate's car stopped at a candy store and people crowed around him. He was popular because he was flashy in the ring and wore fancy clothes.

Someboady said to him, ''Chocolate how many suits you were''? He spoke funny english, because he was from Cuba. He said he had 365 suits, one for every day of the year. Thats for me, I thought, I'm going to be a fighter and have that much clothes.

At one time I had 90 suits, made to order at Brooks Brothers. I counted 57 overcoats and topcats. I paid as high as $26 for a shirt, $7:50 for a set of silk underwear, $45 for a pair of silk pyjams. My shoes were made by an English company named Peal. They came at $65 a pair.

''Ezzard Charles''

Benny Leonard
10-14-2009, 10:37 PM
Nice story

cotto16
10-15-2009, 10:21 AM
didnt know that