View Full Version : Theres No Way Muhammad Ali Beat Ken Norton In There 3rd Fight.

Burning Desire
10-14-2009, 08:41 AM
Having watched this fight again recently, theres no doubt in my mind Ken Norton beat Muhammad Ali. He had a more consistent workrate, he landed the cleaner harder blows to the body and head.

And i constantly kept hearing about how Ken Norton, gave away the 15th round i don't think so. Ken Norton comeback well in that round, and had Muhammad Ali covering up in the corner late on in that round.

After the bell rung Ken Norton shouted at him, and his corner men picked him up thinking he had won clearly. While Muhammad Ali was looking down slumped in the corner, thinking that he had lost.

I can understand people thinking Muhammad Ali, had got the nod in there 2nd fight. Because i also believe Muhammad Ali edged out the 2nd fight, but theres certainly no way he won the 3rd fight, and obviously he lost the 1st fight and rightfully so.

And also one last thing if Muhammad Ali, had not been given the decision in there 3rd fight would he still be regarded as great as he now ?

Dynamite Kid
10-14-2009, 08:46 AM
He had a more consistent workrate,

From what i remember it was Ali who was contently jabbing throughout the entire fight with Norton waiting to counter.

Is that not an accurate assessment of what was happening?

Burning Desire
10-14-2009, 09:03 AM
He had a more consistent workrate,

From what i remember it was Ali who was contently jabbing throughout the entire fight with Norton waiting to counter.

Is that not an accurate assessment of what was happening?

Well Muhammad Ali did take quite a few rounds off in the fight, just laying on the ropes doing nothing. What i mean is that Ken Norton, was consistent with his aggression and power punches.

He was always coming forward putting on effective aggression, whacking Muhammad Ali with hard shots to the body and head. Whilst Muhammad Ali was mostly just flicking out jabs with not much power in them, and only throwing the occassional right hand.

Which was a good punch and it did seem to hurt Ken Norton, a few times. But Ken Norton hurt Muhammad Ali much more, especially the body shot that doubled up Muhammad Ali.

This isn't a hating Muhammad Ali thread, but in my view i just can't see how Muhammad Ali got the nod. I thought Ken Norton was a clear winner atleast 9-6.

Dynamite Kid
10-14-2009, 09:08 AM
Well Muhammad Ali did take quite a few rounds off in the fight, just laying on the ropes doing nothing. What i mean is that Ken Norton, was consistent with his aggression and power punches.

He was always coming forward putting on effective aggression, whacking Muhammad Ali with hard shots to the body and head. Whilst Muhammad Ali was mostly just flicking out jabs with not much power in them, and only throwing the occassional right hand.

Which was a good punch and it did seem to hurt Ken Norton, a few times. But Ken Norton hurt Muhammad Ali much more, especially the body shot that doubled up Muhammad Ali.

This isn't a hating Muhammad Ali thread, but in my view i just can't see how Muhammad Ali got the nod. I thought Ken Norton was a clear winner atleast 9-6.

I know its all good i just wanted to see where you were going with the workrate thing. Id have to watch it again and score it next time to give an accurate assessment.

sonnyboyx2
10-14-2009, 11:25 AM
i had Muhammad Ali winning... as for final rounds i thought Norton won the final round in his fight with Larry Holmes

Princemanspopa
10-14-2009, 12:28 PM
Norton didn't give away the 15th round but he let Ali back into the fight after the eight round when he shouldn't have done,by that point Ken Norton was in clear command of the fight,using a sustained attack to the body,driving Ali back to the ropes and unleashing left hooks to both the body and head and overhand rights to the head.

Ali started dancing in the 9th round for the first time and began using his jab and while he didn't have much pop left in his jab,it was consistently landing enough to score points and pick up rounds,the straight right once again stunned Norton,just as it had done during their second fight.

I didn't have Ali winning but could I see an argument or him winning? Yes I most certainly could.

for the record Ali won fairly convincingly against Norton during their second bout,unless somebody actually gave Norton a round through the first six

Those were the earlier rounds when Ali was clowning around on the ropes and Norton wasn't falling for it.

Norton also wasted a few rounds,one in particular where he himself laid on the ropes imitating the rope-a-dope in an attempt to show he could take Ali's best onslought,and while he perhaps won a point in regards to manhood,he still lost that round.

Benncollinsaad
10-14-2009, 12:32 PM
It always puzzles me how Ali could win some fights. He was doing nothing half the fight, just laying against the ropes, clowning around. And getting hit.

Princemanspopa
10-14-2009, 12:56 PM
It always puzzles me how Benncollinsaad can actually comment on a boxing forum considering Mr boxrec ranger has never actually watched a boxing match in it's entirety in his life.

No doubt he thinks that post whoring in the history section and using smilies in virtually every post he makes gives him credibility among other newbs but it's nothing to write home about.

boxingbuff
10-14-2009, 03:25 PM
I think it must be pointed out that Muhammad Ali was 9 years past his prime!

Muhammad Ali's prime was 1966/67

I had Norton winning the 3rd fight 8-6-1

Benncollinsaad
10-14-2009, 03:34 PM
It always puzzles me how Benncollinsaad can actually comment on a boxing forum considering Mr boxrec ranger has never actually watched a boxing match in it's entirety in his life.

No doubt he thinks that post whoring in the history section and using smilies in virtually every post he makes gives him credibility among other newbs but it's nothing to write home about.

It puzzles me how you haven't got banned permanently yet, if for nothing else, then for stupidity.

DeepSleep
10-14-2009, 06:22 PM
Ali won because he was Ali. Ali was way past his prime and was Ali in name and fortitude only.

Mugwump
10-14-2009, 06:58 PM
Forget the third fight - I had Norton winning all three.

Yaman
10-14-2009, 07:00 PM
Watch the fight again without the "Ali is losing, Ali is losing" in your mind.

Yaman
10-14-2009, 07:09 PM
Ali won because he was Ali. Ali was way past his prime and was Ali in name and fortitude only.

Just like how they were biased enough for Ali to NEVER let him lose a Decision against an unknown journeyman with only a few fights. Oh wait...Leon just called.

Princemanspopa
10-14-2009, 07:11 PM

Rather than copy and past word for word,comments previously made in regards to this topic,go watch all three fights,score them and then and only then will your post have any meaning.

You're worse than Mr Boxrec ranger.

Mugwump
10-14-2009, 07:14 PM
Watch the fight again without the "Ali is losing, Ali is losing" in your mind.

Why? I'm not some weird walking logic circuit that can attach a NOT gate to the end of my decision-making process.

Mugwump
10-14-2009, 07:15 PM
Rather than copy and past word for word,comments previously made in regards to this topic,go watch all three fights,score them and then and only then will your post have any meaning.

You're worse than Mr Boxrec ranger.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

Yaman
10-14-2009, 07:17 PM
Why? I'm not some weird walking logic circuit that can attach a NOT gate to the end of my decision-making process.

You can be if you tried. Watch the fight again.

Princemanspopa
10-14-2009, 07:18 PM
It means you know absolutely nothing about boxing and comment on fights that you have never even seen.

Just like how they were biased enough for Ali to NEVER let him lose a Decision against an unknown journeyman with only a few fights. Oh wait...Leon just called.

Leon spinks wasn't unknown and he wasn't a journeyman,he had won a gold medal at the olympics just a year and a half previously and at this point was just a prospect,who didn't belong in a ring with Ali but fortunately enough for him Ali either shot,fat and out of shape or willing to throw a fight in reach of winning the world title for a third time showed up and Leon shocked the world.

I do take your point in regards to Ali not gaining the decision there.

mrboxer
10-14-2009, 07:18 PM
Forget the third fight - I had Norton winning all three.who are you,were you a judge for the fights,i had ali winning by tkos on all three,the ref refused to stop the fight when ali clearly had norton out on his feet,if ali and norton fought 50 times ali would win 50 times:boxing:

Mugwump
10-14-2009, 07:48 PM
You can be if you tried. Watch the fight again.

I've watched the fight several times. The first occasion - in the seventies when I was in the middle of an Ali love affair - I had Norton pegged as the loser. Ever since it's been the other way around.

But I'll watch it again. Just for you. I can't watch it without context, tho. I'm not a robot.

Mugwump
10-14-2009, 07:49 PM
It means you know absolutely nothing about boxing and comment on fights that you have never even seen.

Silly boy. Grow up.

Princemanspopa
10-14-2009, 07:56 PM
Well atleast you didn't have the gaul to deny that you know nothing about boxing.

Mugwump
10-14-2009, 08:03 PM
Why would I need a Frenchman to deny anything?

Yaman
10-14-2009, 08:08 PM
I've watched the fight several times. The first occasion - in the seventies when I was in the middle of an Ali love affair - I had Norton pegged as the loser. Ever since it's been the other way around.

But I'll watch it again. Just for you. I can't watch it without context, tho. I'm not a robot.

All I'm asking is to be open minded and not biased against the guy. If you can't even do that then perhaps there's no use in discussing this fight with you.

Mugwump
10-14-2009, 08:13 PM
All I'm asking is to be open minded and not biased against the guy. If you can't even do that then perhaps there's no use in discussing this fight with you.

I don't know what you are talking about. Who said anything about bias? What I did say was I can't watch the fight without the knowledge that in subsequent viewings I thought he lost. If I could erase that knowledge there's an argument that I'm biased AGAINST Norton.

Silencers
10-15-2009, 09:13 AM
Yeah, Ali lost that fight. He even admitted it afterwards when a reporter asked him if he would go celebrate or something, he said something to the effect of "What's there to celebrate when you got whooped?".

Just for the record, I had Norton winning the first fight as well with Ali edging him in the second.

them_apples
10-15-2009, 12:53 PM
Having watched this fight again recently, theres no doubt in my mind Ken Norton beat Muhammad Ali. He had a more consistent workrate, he landed the cleaner harder blows to the body and head.

And i constantly kept hearing about how Ken Norton, gave away the 15th round i don't think so. Ken Norton comeback well in that round, and had Muhammad Ali covering up in the corner late on in that round.

After the bell rung Ken Norton shouted at him, and his corner men picked him up thinking he had won clearly. While Muhammad Ali was looking down slumped in the corner, thinking that he had lost.

I can understand people thinking Muhammad Ali, had got the nod in there 2nd fight. Because i also believe Muhammad Ali edged out the 2nd fight, but theres certainly no way he won the 3rd fight, and obviously he lost the 1st fight and rightfully so.

And also one last thing if Muhammad Ali, had not been given the decision in there 3rd fight would he still be regarded as great as he now ?

Yea I agree he lost, but massive props for him even taking a 3rd fight. Ali fought everybody and he wasn't even in his prime. That in itself makes him great.

He took on Larry Holmes when he was clearly past it.

boxingbuff
10-15-2009, 03:38 PM

Just curious,how did you score the 2nd Ali-Norton fight?

I just watched it again,and had Ali winning 7-5