View Full Version : how would you define ken norton's career??

larry x
10-13-2009, 04:49 PM
he seems to be a top heavyweight very rarely mentioned..if he came along in a differant era would his career had been differant??

Joey Giardello
10-13-2009, 05:32 PM
he seems to be a top heavyweight very rarely mentioned..if he came along in a differant era would his career had been differant??

Was a great heavyweight who gave ali fits! was part of one of the best heavyweight title fights of all tim against larry holmes and was a wbc champion himself, Norton was a great fighter

larry x
10-13-2009, 05:37 PM
well to ne honest he didnt fight a prime ali but an aging ali..how do you think he wouldve done in 2days heavyweight division??

mrboxer
10-13-2009, 05:46 PM
he was an average fighter,if he fought in todays era he would not even be in the top 100,he probably would of made the top twenty in the days when burns was champ,burns would of kayoed norton within 5 rounds:boxing:

JAB5239
10-13-2009, 05:47 PM
Todays heavyweight div is completely different, that's why we now have cruiserweight.

If you look at the weight of the ATG heavys, you find that a lot of them would now be cruiserweights.

Norton was a good sized heavyweight. If David Haye can be considered a top heavy, you better believe Norton would be far more dangerous. Jmo.

Shambleton
10-13-2009, 05:50 PM
Norton was a good sized heavyweight. If David Haye can be considered a top heavy, you better believe Norton would be far more dangerous. Jmo.

Yeah, I meant earlier than Norton, that's why I deleted it!

I'm too tired fo' this **** man!!

Benncollinsaad
10-13-2009, 06:06 PM
Norton is one of my fav heavyweights from the 70's. Shame he didn't have a good chin. Got decked by Foreman, but was outboxing him before that. Beat Ali all 3 times in my opinion. And Ali wasn't old in '73!:rolleyes:

mrboxer
10-13-2009, 06:18 PM
that is your opinion but in my opinion he did not even beat ali once,:boxing:

Benncollinsaad
10-13-2009, 06:19 PM
that is your opinion but in my opinion he did not even beat ali once,:boxing:

That notion is too ridiculous to even think about.

bojangles1987
10-13-2009, 07:19 PM
he was an average fighter,if he fought in todays era he would not even be in the top 100,he probably would of made the top twenty in the days when burns was champ,burns would of kayoed norton within 5 rounds:boxing:

So, what's with this guy here? Is his gimmick that no fighter from the greatest heavyweight era ever is any good?

Norton was a great heavyweight that if he had come around in the 50's or 80's, either before or after Ali, he may have been dominant.

Princemanspopa
10-13-2009, 08:22 PM
Very good heavyweight and a very good fighter,terrific jabber who used great timing rather than a power jab that Liston possesed or a speedy jab that Ali had,but it was as effective as either,terrific left hook and a chopping overhand right.

He was able to mix up his offense as well as any heavyweight ever has done,very few could carry out a consistent,sustained attack to a particular area than Ken Norton could and that includes Andrew Golota.

Norton is one of my fav heavyweights from the 70's. Shame he didn't have a good chin. Got decked by Foreman, but was outboxing him before that. Beat Ali all 3 times in my opinion. And Ali wasn't old in '73!:rolleyes:

You've never seen any Norton fight besides the fights which resulted in him being knocked out by three of the greatest punchers in heavyweight history.So you can't comment on how his fights with Ali actually played out.

If Norton didn't have a chin then he wouldn't have held up aslong as he did after the amount of clean blows he took from Cooney,Shavers and Foreman.

boxingbuff
10-14-2009, 04:31 PM

Your right,Ali wasn't old in 1973.

But he was 6 years past his prime!

Ali's prime was 1966/67