View Full Version : Bob Sheridan Vs Howard Cosell

0Rooster4Life0
10-07-2009, 08:34 PM
Which of These Two Do You Prefer Calling a fight,
I personally Enjoy Howard Cosells Style and approach , But Howards Style is something you either love or hate. I Would Love To Hear Your Views On This Match Up.

1SILVA
10-08-2009, 01:05 AM
I personally Enjoy Howard Cosells Style and approach , But Howards Style is something you either love or hate. I Would Love To Hear Your Views On This Match Up.

No contest. Cosell one of the all time greats. Sheridan is boring and a shill for Don King.

edgarg
10-08-2009, 01:17 AM
No contest. Cosell one of the all time greats. Sheridan is boring and a shill for Don King.
You are SO WRONG!! Gee! Howqard Cosell made his name because of his determination and single minded bumptuousness. Also, because in his clumsy way, he was a strong outspoken supporter of Muhammed Ali. I happen to have 2 biographies of Howard Cosell. He was, in his own metier, as famous for his malaprops as was Ed Sullivan for his.

Bob Sheridan has just the right tone and voice for commenting. AND let me emphasize, having listened to and watched him for very many years, I long ago came to the conclusion that he is a better judge of a fight than anyone else appearing on TV. I've never had any reason to change my mind. He is nearly always only a round or two out, if ANY, when he gives his opinion, BEFORE the decisions are tallied.

As for Don King, he works for Don King, he makes his living from Don King. But
I have NO DOUBT, that, if he were a free agent, that he'd have been snapped up by other broadcasters long ago. King KNOWS what he has with trhe Colonel !. Very likely he treats him very well, and very likely Sheridan likes Don King.

0Rooster4Life0
10-08-2009, 02:03 AM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y6bjCcYgMHY&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y6bjCcYgMHY&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

sonnyboyx2
10-08-2009, 02:28 AM

Great Topic... Sheridan & Cosell was both legendary commentators who called some of the greatest fights in history, who was the best is too hard to say, i enjoy both of them along with Don Dumphy all 3 are part of boxing history and are IBHOF material

0Rooster4Life0
10-08-2009, 04:52 AM
What i Love about Howard is that he isnt just a Fight Caller, He has his Own Personality that clashed very well with Ali, And it was good to see, I love watching Interviews with Howard in it,

joe strong
10-08-2009, 06:57 AM
I don't remember bob Sheridan ever saying a negative thing about any fighter he's watching.he calls it like he sees it & always states that he may have scored a close round wrong or opposite to what the judges have...he's truly unbias & I enjoy his commentary.I do like merchant & lampley & steward as well but Sheridan is a classy,unbias guy.

Dynamite Kid
10-08-2009, 07:20 AM
Sheridan is a good commentator but if its a Don King fighter you can expect an inaccurate scorecard & him going overboard with the superlatives.

He does some quite good at judging fights imo, except when its a Don King fighter.

TheGreatA
10-08-2009, 07:29 AM
Sheridan is very good aside from his connections with Don King.

With Cosell it's a lot more often about him than the fighters, but when he gets into the fight there's no one better at making a fight sound exciting than him.

Don Dunphy called more fights that probably anybody and for the most part called them right.

I also don't mind the 1950's commentators for "Friday Night Fights" and the British commentators Gutteridge/Carpentier.

Dynamite Kid
10-08-2009, 08:40 AM
Sheridan is very good aside from his connections with Don King.

With Cosell it's a lot more often about him than the fighters, but when he gets into the fight there's no one better at making a fight sound exciting than him.

Don Dunphy called more fights that probably anybody and for the most part called them right.

I also don't mind the 1950's commentators for "Friday Night Fights" and the British commentators Gutteridge/Carpentier.

Gutteridge/Carpentier are legends in my eyes. Distinct voice of British Boxing from back in the day.

Carpentier & Bruno legendary interviews.

boxingbuff
10-08-2009, 04:19 PM
Dumphy
Sheridon
Cossell
Bernstein

1SILVA
10-08-2009, 07:54 PM
You are SO WRONG!! Gee! Howqard Cosell made his name because of his determination and single minded bumptuousness. Also, because in his clumsy way, he was a strong outspoken supporter of Muhammed Ali. I happen to have 2 biographies of Howard Cosell. He was, in his own metier, as famous for his malaprops as was Ed Sullivan for his.

Bob Sheridan has just the right tone and voice for commenting. AND let me emphasize, having listened to and watched him for very many years, I long ago came to the conclusion that he is a better judge of a fight than anyone else appearing on TV. I've never had any reason to change my mind. He is nearly always only a round or two out, if ANY, when he gives his opinion, BEFORE the decisions are tallied.

As for Don King, he works for Don King, he makes his living from Don King. But
I have NO DOUBT, that, if he were a free agent, that he'd have been snapped up by other broadcasters long ago. King KNOWS what he has with trhe Colonel !. Very likely he treats him very well, and very likely Sheridan likes Don King.

Compare Cosell's calling of Foreman-Frazier I to Sheridan's call of Ali-Foreman. No contest. "Down goes Frazier!!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!! It is one of the greatest calls in boxing history. Also, when Leotis Martin ko's Sonny Liston, Cosell had another legendary call, "The career of Sonny Liston is over!!!!!" Lampley's "It Happened!!!!!" when Foreman ko'd Moorer is on that level.