View Full Version : Boxing-trivia

Bundana
10-07-2009, 05:59 AM
Now I refuse to believe that there are not people out there, who would find a good brain teaser AT LEAST as interesting as discussing the shoe size of Marvin Hagler... so this one is for you guys:

OF ALL THE FIGHTERS WHO NEVER GOT A WORLD TITLE SHOT - WHO FOUGHT THE MOST MEN WHO DID?

GJC
10-07-2009, 01:13 PM
I know Jimmy Bivins had wins over Maxim, Moore, Charles, Lesnevich, Pastor and Mauriello. He also fought Louis and Harold Johnson so him and the rest of those guys Burley, Holman Williams and Lloyd Marshall must have put an embarrisingly large number of good men away. Burley got Zivic too, Williams fought La Motta and Cerdan.
Need someone more patient with boxing rec than me though :)

Bundana
10-07-2009, 02:13 PM
Nice to hear from you GJC... you were also the first to reply to my first ever thread. That Dempsey-Cooney connection, remember?

I think the answer to this one will surprise you as well!

GJC
10-07-2009, 02:34 PM
Nice to hear from you GJC... you were also the first to reply to my first ever thread. That Dempsey-Cooney connection, remember?

I think the answer to this one will surprise you as well!
Ah yes got you :)
I'm sure it will, I know it will certainly take a much better researcher tham me, I rely on my senile ridden fading memory.
If I was to take a wild guess would it be one of those HW "opponents" in the 80's and 90's who were consistantly dug up to give fighters a one round knock out? I know Chuck Gardener had quite a few names on his record, not him but maybe some of that ilk?

GJC
10-07-2009, 02:38 PM
One for you, what is Joe Baksi's (guy in my avatar, if that is the word?) connection to the Academy Awards?

Bundana
10-07-2009, 03:09 PM
Ah, so it's a picture of Joe Baksi! I have actually been wondering who that was - knew I had seen that picture before, but couldn't place him.

But Baksi... If I remember correctly, didn't he once fight future Academy Award Winner Jack Palance?

Ok, I'm only kidding... must admit, i googled Baksi and came up with this information. Did not know that!

And in reply to your question... no, the man we're looking for is not one of those HW opponents from the 80s and 90s.

BattlingNelson
10-07-2009, 04:30 PM
:thinking:

A very hard question. I don't know if it's too early to ask for hints but this is a question that could relate to any weightclass in any timeperiod although the boxer in question probably has fought in the 1990ies given the inflation in alphabet titles.

Bundana
10-07-2009, 06:09 PM
Well, Bat... since this thread is not yet a day old, and only two have responded so far, I think I'll wait a day or two, before dropping some hints.

But I'll say this much: when I first examined whether this would be an interesting question, I had a particular fighter in mind... whose record I thought needed a closer look. What makes a good trivia-question (in my opinion) is a surprise answer, and I had a hunch this man just might be the one I was looking for. And when I scanned through his record, I was absolutely amazed!

We are talking about a boxer who engaged in a total of more than 40 bouts against 27 men (including 15 champs!), who all fought for a world title!

Now I'll have to admit, that I don't KNOW if this man is the definitive answer to this question - as I haven't checked the record of every fighter who ever lived. But I find it very hard to believe, that there could possibly be someone else out there, who has faced 27 different men, who all fought for a world title - without having a single title fight himself. But if that DOES in fact turn out to be the case, I will of course apologize for wasting your time!

mrboxer
10-07-2009, 06:37 PM
Now I refuse to believe that there are not people out there, who would find a good brain teaser AT LEAST as interesting as discussing the shoe size of Marvin Hagler... so this one is for you guys:

OF ALL THE FIGHTERS WHO NEVER GOT A WORLD TITLE SHOT - WHO FOUGHT THE MOST MEN WHO DID?this is a trick question,if a fighter never fought for a world champion but fought the most men who did,if he fought most men who did he would have to be a contender,which would at one point or time give him a shot,so i think it is someone from the old days where racism was involved,i say wills or langford,and i dont care what shoe size hagler or any other person wears,it is none of my business,i care about my shoe size no one elses some one could have a shoe size of a size 20 it would not make a difference:boxing:

BattlingNelson
10-07-2009, 06:45 PM
Well, Bat... since this thread is not yet a day old, and only two have responded so far, I think I'll wait a day or two, before dropping some hints.

But I'll say this much: when I first examined whether this would be an interesting question, I had a particular fighter in mind... whose record I thought needed a closer look. What makes a good trivia-question (in my opinion) is a surprise answer, and I had a hunch this man just might be the one I was looking for. And when I scanned through his record, I was absolutely amazed!

We are talking about a boxer who engaged in a total of more than 40 bouts against 27 men (including 15 champs!), who all fought for a world title!

Now I'll have to admit, that I don't KNOW if this man is the definitive answer to this question - as I haven't checked the record of every fighter who ever lived. But I find it very hard to believe, that there could possibly be someone else out there, who has faced 27 different men, who all fought for a world title - without having a single title fight himself. But if that DOES in fact turn out to be the case, I will of course apologize for wasting your time!
I was thinking if the boxer in question would be some of those journeymen losers like Seamus Casey, Peter Buckley or that sort. I would think that those guys have fought the who's who of prospects in the prospects early days.

Bundana
10-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Nothing going on here since yesterday - so maybe the time has come for some clues.

GJC:
Yes, you would think one of those great fighters you mention - who had long careers but somehow never got that elusive title shot - would be a prime candidate for this one. In fact, before posting this question I checked the records of all four (Bivins, Burley, Williams and Marshall), but found nothing of interest (in relation to this question, that is!).

mrboxer:
Know what you mean... with so many fights against champs/contenders, common sense tells us, that our man sooner or later would get a shot himself. Only it never happened, and it had nothing to do with the old "colour-barrier".

BattlingNelson:
You're on the right track! The operative word here is "journeyman"... and if you add "fun-loving", "boozing", "womanizing" and (especially) "globe-trotting", you're halfway there. We're talking about a post-WW2 boxer, who compiled a record of well over 200 fights in close to 20 countries. He even found time to make a short stop-over in Battling Nelson's native country! Oh, well... now I've practically given it away!!

Sugarj
10-08-2009, 05:58 PM
Angel Garcia was a bit of a globetrotter who fought quite a few champs.

Bundana
10-08-2009, 06:27 PM
Yes, that's the guy!

Here are the 15 world champs Garcia faced:
Billy Backus
Wilfred Benitez
Eddie Perkins x3
Saoul Mamby
Esteban de Jesus
Roberto Duran
Miguel Velasquez
Jose Manuel Duran
Pedro Carrasco
Ken Buchanan
Carmelo Bossi x2
Bruno Arcari
Ismael Laguna
Carlos Hernandez x3
Jose Napoles

... and the 12 challengers:
Clyde Gray
Johnny Gant
Jose Hernandez x3
Bunny Grant x2
Antonio Ortiz x5
Roger Menetrey
Olli Maki
Rafiu King x2
Francois Pavilla
Douglas Vaillant x3
Jose Stable x2
Jean Josselin

That's a total of 43 fights, against 27 different world champs/challengers. Pretty amazing, if you ask me!