View Full Version : Best light welterweight of all-time

Stoppage
10-06-2009, 05:11 PM
Well, since my previous thread about welterweights had a lot of buzz, I thought I'd try doing one on light welterweights.

So, who do you think is the best light welterweight of all-time? Whose the runner up?

GJC
10-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Packey McFarland ought to go on the list.

BattlingNelson
10-06-2009, 05:45 PM
Packey McFarland ought to go on the list.
Sorry but I disagree. The division didnt exist back then and he was fighting lightweights and chasing the lightweight champion anyway.

Topic: I'll say Julio Cesar Chavez.

TS: Public polls are more fun IMO.

JAB5239
10-06-2009, 06:28 PM
Well, since my previous thread about welterweights had a lot of buzz, I thought I'd try doing one on light welterweights.

So, who do you think is the best light welterweight of all-time? Whose the runner up?

If he isn't number one, Barney Ross deserves mention on this list. His resume at 140 isn't the best on the list, but combined with his accomplishment at 135 and 147 I think Ross could hang with any fighter who ever fought in the jr welterweight division.

GJC
10-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Sorry but I disagree. The division didnt exist back then and he was fighting lightweights and chasing the lightweight champion anyway.

Topic: I'll say Julio Cesar Chavez.

TS: Public polls are more fun IMO.
Perfect weight for him and because it didn't exist was probably a good reason he never got to be a champion. Well I'm voting other so there :)

them_apples
10-06-2009, 06:36 PM
don't see why Chavez is winning when Pryor would tax that ass.

Obama
10-06-2009, 07:02 PM

Level of opposition.

Stoppage
10-06-2009, 07:39 PM
I'm actually surprised no one voted for Hatton, yet. He's only had one loss in the division.

Obama
10-06-2009, 08:05 PM
I'm actually surprised no one voted for Hatton, yet. He's only had one loss in the division.

This was a joke, right?

Or did you think this was NSB?

Stoppage
10-06-2009, 10:05 PM
This was a joke, right?

Or did you think this was NSB?

I just thought Hatton would at least get a vote or something. But yeah he's not the best of all-time so you can't blame it.

1SILVA
10-07-2009, 01:00 AM
No contest. The Hawk

Bushidō
10-07-2009, 02:21 AM
I say Chavez just based on who he fought. I do agree that Pryor would probably beat Chavez if they ever fought

any craic lad?
07-03-2011, 03:22 PM
Chavez for moi

BigStereotype
07-03-2011, 03:32 PM
Chavez >>>>>>>>>>>> Pryor

Steak
07-03-2011, 03:40 PM
:rofl:

Chavez might lose some early rounds, but Pryor's defense against a sharpshooter like Chavez would kill him. He would be a broken man by the late rounds.

its unfortuante that Cervantes doesnt get more recongnition in polls like these. He was a damn good fighter, and only got around to fighting Pryor when he was past prime.

The Surgeon
07-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Pryor for me, dude was a Hurricane and i feel like lately he aint been getting his due respect

lightsout_finit
07-03-2011, 04:35 PM
Gotta go with Pryor.
Prime for Prime I think he beats evryone on that list.

Arguello was clearly on the slide when they fought. But I honestly believe if Arguello had a lesser fighter in front of him he would have become a four weight world champion.
Because of styles I think the Arguello of the first fight would stop Tzsyu or Hatton and I think he would pose problems for 140 Chavez.

My number 2 on that list is Antonio Cervantes I seem to be one of the few people that thinks he beat Benitez.
Also Cervantes title reign was very good.
:)

SBleeder
07-03-2011, 07:28 PM
At his best, Locche beats everyone on the list.

JAB5239
07-03-2011, 07:35 PM

Be fun to see Locche's defensive mastery against Pryor's relentless pressure and work rate.

CarlosG815
07-03-2011, 07:35 PM
I voted Aaron Pryor.

bojangles1987
07-03-2011, 07:38 PM
I guess Chavez.

Till Tim Bradley takes over. :dance::dance:

Scott9945
07-03-2011, 10:10 PM
I know he doesn't have the resume at that particular weight, but I'd give Mayweather a great shot at beating anyone on that list.

New England
07-03-2011, 11:07 PM

lol?

the post has to be longer according to the website, so i wrote this last part
but all i intended to say was "lol?"

New England
07-03-2011, 11:08 PM
What time is it?

HAWK TIME!

The Surgeon
07-04-2011, 04:38 AM
Be fun to see Locche's defensive mastery against Pryor's relentless pressure and work rate.

Locche would have Aaron looking foolish at times but Pryor would keep throwing all night and have Locche firmly on the defence getting little off himself, Hawk takes it on aggression and workrate imo

The Surgeon
07-04-2011, 04:40 AM
I know he doesn't have the resume at that particular weight, but I'd give Mayweather a great shot at beating anyone on that list.

I would too actually. Floyd looked like his punches had some real snap at 140 and i know it was against a past it GATTI but he put in a career best performance at the weight too. Then again he DID get rocked by the oh so average Chop Chop Corley....

bojangles1987
07-04-2011, 06:28 AM

Not to start an NSB style war if someone sees the two names together, but I have a hard time seeing Pacquiao lose to anyone at 140. That was the best Pacquiao, even though it was one fight against Hatton. He's not losing a firefight to anyone IMO, so I'd take him over Chavez and Pryor, and at 140 he was good enough to beat Mayweather, though it's certainly not a given.

The Smash
07-04-2011, 07:24 AM
Not to start an NSB style war if someone sees the two names together, but I have a hard time seeing Pacquiao lose to anyone at 140. That was the best Pacquiao, even though it was one fight against Hatton. He's not losing a firefight to anyone IMO, so I'd take him over Chavez and Pryor, and at 140 he was good enough to beat Mayweather, though it's certainly not a given.

You think he has the power to step Chavez getting to his rib cage? If he doesn't, then I think it would tell as the fight went on and JCC would sweep the final rounds.

I voted Pryor, by the way.

bojangles1987
07-04-2011, 07:38 AM
You think he has the power to step Chavez getting to his rib cage? If he doesn't, then I think it would tell as the fight went on and JCC would sweep the final rounds.

I voted Pryor, by the way.

I do. PEDs or no, Pacquiao has fight changing power at every weight he's fought at. Chavez may have an incredible chin, but he would feel Pacquiao's punches. I just don't think any fighter that doesn't have a ridiculous size advantage will outfight Pacquiao.

SCtrojansbaby
07-04-2011, 08:43 AM
In terms of resume its obviously Chavez. But Pryor vs Chavez would be a phuking classic a 50/50 if there ever was one

Steak
07-04-2011, 12:42 PM
I do. PEDs or no, Pacquiao has fight changing power at every weight he's fought at. Chavez may have an incredible chin, but he would feel Pacquiao's punches. I just don't think any fighter that doesn't have a ridiculous size advantage will outfight Pacquiao.

Pacquiao has no inside game, its not difficult to outfight him there. Not to mention he is very open when forced against the ropes. And Chavez was one of the best ever at cutting off the ring and effectively taking the fight to close range, not to mention his ability to open up a generic guard with a variety of punches to the head and body...

I see Pacquiao dicing up Pryor(in a war for however long it lasts), but Chavez is a totally different type of fight.

bojangles1987
07-04-2011, 01:48 PM
Pacquiao has no inside game, its not difficult to outfight him there. Not to mention he is very open when forced against the ropes. And Chavez was one of the best ever at cutting off the ring and effectively taking the fight to close range, not to mention his ability to open up a generic guard with a variety of punches to the head and body...

I see Pacquiao dicing up Pryor(in a war for however long it lasts), but Chavez is a totally different type of fight.

I think Pacquiao is underrated at keeping his opponents from ever getting inside enough to punish him there, and I believe he would do so enough to beat Chavez. Usually when you see Pacquiao up against the ropes getting punched, it's because he is taking a break, which would be dangerous against Chavez.

It's a fight where I give a lot of credit to how good Pacquiao is at punching and moving, whereas others may not feel he does so good enough to curtail Chavez I think he would. It's not like Chavez was his absolute best at 140 either, whereas I would say Pacquiao was.

Steak
07-07-2011, 01:32 PM
I think Pacquiao is underrated at keeping his opponents from ever getting inside enough to punish him there, and I believe he would do so enough to beat Chavez. Usually when you see Pacquiao up against the ropes getting punched, it's because he is taking a break, which would be dangerous against Chavez.

It's a fight where I give a lot of credit to how good Pacquiao is at punching and moving, whereas others may not feel he does so good enough to curtail Chavez I think he would. It's not like Chavez was his absolute best at 140 either, whereas I would say Pacquiao was.
The only punch that Pacquiao throws when being pressured is his counter right hook. its a good punch no doubt, but I cant remember Chavez getting hit with that kind of a shot once during his career, his crouching pressure usually just ducked right under it.

And although I think Chavez was a bit better at 135 too, his combination punching and ring smarts were still definitely there at 140lbs, unless were talking about him against Randall or something. but he spent a number of years at 140lbs.

Chavez just seems like a bad style matchup for Pacquiao's weaknesses.
-Open against the ropes, Chavez is one of the best ever at cutting off the ring.
-Doesnt fight well off the backfoot, Chavez constantly pressured effectively.
-Open to body shots and fights in bursts, Chavez was one of the best body punchers ever.
-Uses a generic guard thats not too hard to get around, Chavez's combination punching was excellent at mixing up shots to the head and body to open up a defense.