View Full Version : Greatest Resumes

GJC
10-03-2009, 09:21 PM
Oscar De La Hoya gets a very mixed press in here but I think most will agree that win or lose, on opponents fought he deserves upmost respect.
Which got me thinking as to who and why people think have the top 10 resumes as to opponents fought.
I'd like to throw in Fritzie Zivic's name into the mix, a spotty record and has the most losses of any world champion I believe but whatever your view of his abilities you cannot say he ducked too many.

In the late 30's and early 40's it was a rite of passage to have Fritzie's thumb or laces in your eye, amongst his opponents were:
Sugar Ray Robinson
Jake LaMotta
Beau Jack
Henry Armstrong
Billy Conn
Lou Ambers
Freddie Cochrane
Lew Jenkins
Sammy Angott
Bob Montgomery
Charley Burley
Al 'Bummy' Davis
Eddie Booker
Harold Green

So lets hear those names, extra kudos for the lesser known fighters.

Junito-Rulez
10-03-2009, 09:33 PM
I think Ricardo Mayorga or Trevor Berbick have outstanding resumes but didn't win most of their big fights.
Jerry Quarry has also a very impressive resume:
Frazier
Foreman
Ali
Norton
Lyle
Shavers
Patterson
Chuvalo
Buster Mathis

Mr Boxing9
10-03-2009, 09:35 PM
The greatest resumes is probaly out of Robinson, Greb or Ali.......

Stoppage
10-03-2009, 09:41 PM
Sugar Ray Leonard has a pretty good resume:

Marvin Hagler
Thomas Hearns
Roberto Duran
Wilfred Benitez
Terry Norris
Hector Camacho

He also beat Donny Lalonde and Ayub Kalule who were both champions, at the time.

GJC
10-03-2009, 09:48 PM
Joey Maxim fought some tough guys:
Willie Pastrano
Floyd Patterson
Archie Moore
Sugar Ray Robinson
Ezzard Charles
Jimmy Bivins
Bob Satterfield
Jersey Joe Walcott
Lloyd Marshall
Bobo Olson
Freddie Mills
Gus Lesnevich
Eddie Machen
Lee Oma

STILL_DETOX
10-03-2009, 09:49 PM
lennox lewis
hagler
holyfield

BG_Knocc_Out
10-03-2009, 09:50 PM
DLH is definitely up there,

JCC,
Whitaker,
Mayweather,
Hopkins,
Mayorga,
Pacquiao,
Sturm,
Mosely,
Vargas,
Castillejo,
Gatti,
Trinidad,
Quartey,
Camacho,
Rivera,
Hernandez,

Thats alot for one fighter.

GJC
10-03-2009, 10:04 PM
The greatest resumes is probaly out of Robinson, Greb or Ali.......
Greb takes some beating:
Tiger Flowers
Mickey Walker
Maxie Rosenbloom
Gene Tunney
Tommy Loughran
Kid Norfolk
Johnny Wilson
Tommy Gibbons
Gunboat Smith
Jack Dillon
Mike McTigue
Battling Levinsky
Willie Meehan
Billy Miske

What I love about Greb is the fact he fought lots of these guys back to back maybe a week or two between the fights.

Obama
10-03-2009, 10:48 PM
Resume Evaluation for Sam Langford:
*Note, when a fighter's weight division isn't specified, he's a Heavyweight

Sam Langford
Notable Wins:
Joe Gans *Lightweight
Willie Lewis *Welterweight [Pre-prime]
George McFadden *Lightweight [Post-prime]
Tommy Sullivan *Lightweight
George Gunther (x4) *Welterweight [First 2 wins pre-prime, rest prime]
Dave Holley *Lightweight
Young Peter Jackson (x4) *Middleweight
Jack Blackburn *Lightweight
Larry Temple (x3) *Middleweight [First win prime, rest post-prime]
Joe Jeannette (x8)
Jim Barry (x7)
Sandy Ferguson
John Wille (x2)
Tony Ross (x2)
Fireman Jim Flynn (x5) [First 2 prime, rest over the hill]
Morris Harris (x2)
Al Kubiak (x2)
John Klon***e Haines (x2)
Dixie Kid (x2) *Welterweight
Mike Schreck <Past his prime>
Stanley Ketchel *Middleweight
Battling Jim Johnson (x9)
Jeff Clark (x5) *Light Heavyweight
Philadelphia Jack O'Brien *Light Heavyweight
Sam McVea (x6)
Porky Dan Flynn (x2)
John Lester Johnson
Tom McMahon
Harry Wills (x2)
Gunboat Smith
Jack Thompson (x4)
Bill Tate (x4)
Andre Anderson
Kid Norfolk *Light Heavyweight
Tiny Jim Herman
Frank Farmer *Light Heavyweight
George Godfrey (x2)
Lee Anderson (x2)
Bearcat Wright (x3)
Tut Jackson (x2)
Tiger Flowers *Middleweight [Pre-prime] <Langford already naturally Heavyweight at this point>
Notable Losses:
Jack Blackburn (Avenged) <Pre-Prime>
Dave Holly (Avenged) <Pre-Prime>
Larry Temple (Avenged 3 times) <Pre-Prime>
Joe Jeannette (x3) [TKO 8] [NWS 10] [PTS 12] <First of two men to KO Langford in his prime>
Jack Johnson
Young Peter Jackson (Avenged 4 times) <2nd man to KO Langford in his prime>
Jim Barry
Sam McVea (x2)
Gunboat Smith
Harry Wills (x13) [PTS 10] [NWS 10] [PTS 20] [NWS 10] [NWS 8] [NWS 10] [NWS 12] [KO 6] [TKO 7] [NWS 8] [PTS 15] [PTS 15] [PTS 10]
Jeff Clark (x2) <Over the hill in 2nd bout>
Bill Tate (x4) <1st fight past his prime, rest over the hill>
Fred Fulton (x2) [TKO 7] [PTS 4] <Past his prime in 1st, over the hill in 2nd>
Questionable Losses:
Gunboat Smith

Questionable Draws:
Joe Walcott

'A' level wins:
Gans, Blackburn, Jeannette (x7), Ketchel, O'Brien, McVea (x5), Wills (x2)
'A-' level wins:
Jeannette, McVea, Ferguson, Norfolk
'B' level wins:
Tommy Sullivan, George Gunther (x2), Dave Holley, Young Peter Jackson (x4), Larry Temple, Jim Barry (x5), Tony Ross (x2), Fireman Jim Flynn (x2), Morris Harris (x2), Al Kubiak (x2), John Klon***e Haines (x2), Dixie Kid (x2), Mike Schreck, Battling Jim Johnson (x9), Jeff Clark (x5), Porky Dan Flynn (x2), John Lester Johnson, Tom McMahon, Gunboat Smith, Jack Thompson (x4), Bill Tate (x4), Tiny Jim Herman, Frank Farmer, George Godfrey (x2), Lee Anderson (x2), Bearcat Wright (x3), Tiger Flowers
'B-' level wins:
Willie Lewis, George McFadden, George Gunther (x2), Larry Temple (x2), Jim Barry (x2), John Wille (x2), Andre Anderson, Tut Jackson (x2)

---------

Sam was rated as the #7 Heavyweight of all time in 1958 by Nat Fleischer. Charley Rose ranked him as his #1 all time Heavyweight in 1968. Herbert Goldman rated him as his #2 Light Heavyweight in 1987. Cox's Corner considers him the #1 all time Light Heavyweight. I consider him a top 10 fighter @ Middleweight, Light Heavyweight, Heavyweight, and pound for pound.

GJC
10-03-2009, 10:57 PM
Stanley Ketchel *Middleweight

I thought the Ketchel v Langford fight was an exhibition scored as a draw or no decision? From what I understand Langford had the best of it though.

Obama
10-03-2009, 11:00 PM
I thought the Ketchel v Langford fight was an exhibition scored as a draw or no decision? From what I understand Langford had the best of it though.

I count newspaper decisions.

GJC
10-03-2009, 11:04 PM
Amazing to think that Gunboat Smith beat Langford, Smith was another with a lot of "names" on his record mainly losses though:
Harry Wills
Harry Greb
Fred Fulton
Willie Meehan
Jack Dempsey
Billy Miske
Kid Norfolk
Jack Dillon
Battling Levinsky
Fireman Jim Flynn
Sam Langford
Georges Carpentier
Jess Willard

Obama
10-03-2009, 11:07 PM
Amazing to think that Gunboat Smith beat Langford, Smith was another with a lot of "names" on his record mainly losses though:
Harry Wills
Harry Greb
Fred Fulton
Willie Meehan
Jack Dempsey
Billy Miske
Kid Norfolk
Jack Dillon
Battling Levinsky
Fireman Jim Flynn
Sam Langford
Georges Carpentier
Jess Willard

It was a questionable win. But hey, he's yet another Philadelphian Heavyweight to show a great fighter up. :boxing:

GJC
10-03-2009, 11:08 PM
I count newspaper decisions.
As do I, but my understanding of this fight was that it was an exhibition with a view to having a title fight, hence Langford was said to have carried Ketchell.
Worthy of mentioning though and has always been on my top 10 fights i'd love to see.

GJC
10-03-2009, 11:10 PM
It was a questionable win. But hey, he's yet another Philadelphian Heavyweight to show a great fighter up. :boxing:
Another Philly man?
I get the feeling you'll claim anyone who set foot there :)
You'll have to list them for us one day I knew there was quite a tradition but suprised at how many.

Obama
10-03-2009, 11:11 PM
As do I, but my understanding of this fight was that it was an exhibition with a view to having a title fight, hence Langford was said to have carried Ketchell.
Worthy of mentioning though and has always been on my top 10 fights i'd love to see.

If they fought an exhibition, then they must have had more than 1 fight. The one I'm talking about was legit.

GJC
10-03-2009, 11:14 PM
If they fought an exhibition, then they must have had more than 1 fight. The one I'm talking about was legit.
Might be my aged brain I guess :) but do have that thought nagging in there.

Obama
10-03-2009, 11:19 PM
Another Philly man?
I get the feeling you'll claim anyone who set foot there :)
You'll have to list them for us one day I knew there was quite a tradition but suprised at how many.

List of all the credible Philadelphia Heavyweights I'm aware of, Light Heavyweights who beat Heavyweights not included:

Sonny Liston
Joe Frazier
Tim Witherspoon
Jimmy Young
Eddie Chambers
Jesse Ferguson
Marvis Frazier
Bert Cooper
Tyrell Biggs
Leotis Martin
David Bey
Al Ettore
Gus Dorazio
Gunboat Smith

GJC
10-03-2009, 11:38 PM
List of all the credible Philadelphia Heavyweights I'm aware of, Light Heavyweights who beat Heavyweights not included:

Sonny Liston
Joe Frazier
Tim Witherspoon
Jimmy Young
Eddie Chambers
Jesse Ferguson
Marvis Frazier
Bert Cooper
Tyrell Biggs
Leotis Martin
David Bey
Al Ettore
Gus Dorazio
Gunboat Smith
I know Frazier is always linked with Philly but both him and Liston were born "down south" share cropping country wern't they?
So the Philedelphia connection comes from what gym they fought out of?

Obama
10-04-2009, 01:18 AM
I know Frazier is always linked with Philly but both him and Liston were born "down south" share cropping country wern't they?
So the Philedelphia connection comes from what gym they fought out of?

yea, but liston and frazier also moved to philly. frazier is still living in philly.

CCobra
10-04-2009, 03:27 AM
Langford is a standout candidate, as is Sugar Ray Robinson. If this is based on who a boxer fought throughout his career regardless of win, loss, draw, nc then Bill Tate is a decent candidate. Sam Langford, Joe Jeanette, Harry Wills, Bearcat Wright, Battling Jim Johnson, George Godfrey, Gunboat Smith, Kid Norfolk, John Lester Johnson and he regularly sparred with Jack Dempsey. He fought all of those men numerous times, picking up a few victories in the process to. Not an ATG Heavyweight, not even a top 100 but if we're going on the quality of fighters that a boxer fought throughout his career then Tate is a good candidate.

mickey malone
10-04-2009, 12:00 PM
ROBINSON or GREB!!!!!! All day long..... There's an insects **** between them.....

GJC
10-04-2009, 12:01 PM
Langford is a standout candidate, as is Sugar Ray Robinson. If this is based on who a boxer fought throughout his career regardless of win, loss, draw, nc then Bill Tate is a decent candidate. Sam Langford, Joe Jeanette, Harry Wills, Bearcat Wright, Battling Jim Johnson, George Godfrey, Gunboat Smith, Kid Norfolk, John Lester Johnson and he regularly sparred with Jack Dempsey. He fought all of those men numerous times, picking up a few victories in the process to. Not an ATG Heavyweight, not even a top 100 but if we're going on the quality of fighters that a boxer fought throughout his career then Tate is a good candidate.
Nice call with Tate good to hear of the lesser known guys

mickey malone
10-04-2009, 12:17 PM
Nice call with Tate good to hear of the lesser known guys
Agreed... There's a name I haven't heard in a long time!

Come to think of it, Duran has to be up there to..

Jeez!.. It wouldn't surprise me, if he held the record for facing the most world champs!

In fact, I'm gonna do a thread to try and find out!