View Full Version : mouthguard questions?

icedog11
03-16-2005, 06:12 PM
Having recently discovered this site and reading posts and threads regarding mouth guards, I have come to realize there is a lot of misinformation and misunderstanding regarding this vital piece of equipment. I have personally researched mouth guards for the past 5 years and currently own one of the most highly regarded companies manufacturing mouth guards in the USA. I will check in daily to try and answer as many questions on this subject as honestly and factually as I can.

mickst3r
03-16-2005, 10:29 PM
well... what kind of mouthgaurd do u own? what do you think about the "shockdoctor" ones...

icedog11
03-17-2005, 06:15 PM
well... what kind of mouthgaurd do u own? what do you think about the "shockdoctor" ones...
I don’t own a mouthguard, I'm at the age where all of my physical activity is non contact, or if contact is involved I surely wouldn’t want to be wearing a mouth guard or anything else for that matter. My son however wears a heat and pressure laminated mouth guard referred to as a type 4 guard. I won’t comment on specific brands but on types of guards. The guard you mentioned is a type 2, guard commonly called a boil and bite. For a boxer at lower levels and lighter weight class of amateur fighting this guard may be enough protection. When the level or weight class goes up so must the protection. Mouth guards protect by dispersing impact over a large area and by cushioning the blow. There is not enough material in most boil and bites to do either effectively when the blows become sufficiently hard. Nor do they fit the mouth well enough to disperse impact over the entire guard.

abdiel2k3
03-17-2005, 06:19 PM
to avoid any confusion as to what mouthpiece is best
i jsut strait up go mexican style
i just cut an orange in half
and bite down
plus it taste so good when ya get hit in that mouth
:hijacked:

jpboxer3
03-17-2005, 06:30 PM
and bite down

LMAO!I might try that.

icedog11
03-17-2005, 06:47 PM
and bite down
plus I'm sure your opponent loves your fresh fruity breath,when you kiss him after he ko's you.LOL

abdiel2k3
03-17-2005, 06:51 PM
plus I'm sure your opponent loves your fresh fruity breath,when you kiss him after he ko's you.LOL
FUK YOU!!!
wtf is this about
attackin me outta no where
if anything i think your the fruit *****!!!
with that gay ass sinister twinkle in your eye

lol
jk
or am i?????

joeboxer
03-17-2005, 06:53 PM
FUK YOU!!!
wtf is this about

lol
jk
or am i?????

hahhahahahhahahlhahahahhaahhahahhh

ha, mmmm wait not done yet

hahahahhahhahahahhahahahhahahhahahah

icedog11
03-17-2005, 06:58 PM
FUK YOU!!!
wtf is this about

lol
jk
or am i?????
that wasnt an attack, learn to roll with the punches. Just pointing out more advantages the orange peel mouthguard theory.

Echojaybird
03-17-2005, 07:05 PM
So what type of mouthguard would you recommend?

Echo

abdiel2k3
03-17-2005, 07:18 PM
that wasnt an attack, learn to roll with the punches. Just pointing out more advantages the orange peel mouthguard theory.
i was rollin with em
so u need to learn to learn when people have learned to learn how to roll with punches

icedog11
03-17-2005, 07:30 PM
So what type of mouthguard would you recommend?

Echo
For serious athletes in any sport you have to look for any advantage you can get. Mouth guards can provide a small but existing edge, a type 3 or type 4-mouth guard will provide the best fit and the best protection. Better fit equals better breathing, thicker material equates to better shock absorption. Both type 3 and type 4 mouth guards were once only available through a dentist now you can find them from several companies direct. This way you avoid the higher mark up by the dentist. Type 3 guards are made using a vacuum forming process and fit better than most boil and bites, type 4 guards are formed using pressure, they fit the best. Type 4 guards can also be customized with logos nicknames ect. Because more than one layer of material can be used. This also allows the guard to be made thicker so it is also more protective than a type 3.

icedog11
03-17-2005, 07:36 PM
i was rollin with em
so u need to learn to learn when people have learned to learn how to roll with punches
seems like alot of learning to me

abdiel2k3
03-17-2005, 07:43 PM
seems like alot of learning to me
actually i didnt learn anythin
turns out all that learning canceled itself out

icedog11
03-17-2005, 07:46 PM
actually i didnt learn anythin
turns out all that learning canceled itself out
hate when that happens

Rockin'
03-17-2005, 07:47 PM
Get any mouth piece besides the ones with the shield in front of it. This shield gives you two little holes to breathe through and then covers the whole opening of your mouth. Its good to get the extra protection I guess, but its no good when it causes you to not be able to get your breathe and then you get your ass kicked. Just my opinion.........Rockin'

abdiel2k3
03-17-2005, 07:47 PM
hate when that happens
when what happens?
:confused:

the tragic results of using a orange for a mouthpiece

icedog11
03-17-2005, 07:53 PM
when what happens?
:confused:

the tragic results of using a orange for a mouthpiece
when learnin cancels its self out

abdiel2k3
03-17-2005, 07:55 PM
when learnin cancels its self out
what are you talkin about sir?????
ewww somethin shiny
"chases a shiny object off in the horizon, ends up being the sun"

icedog11
03-17-2005, 07:57 PM
Get any mouth piece besides the ones with the shield in front of it. This shield gives you two little holes to breathe through and then covers the whole opening of your mouth. Its good to get the extra protection I guess, but its no good when it causes you to not be able to get your breathe and then you get your ass kicked. Just my opinion.........Rockin'
I assume you are referring to a boil and bite or a stock guard. A well made type 3 or 4 mouth guard should allow you to breath as easy as you do without a guard in, and if it has been done well you should not even be aware you are wearing it.

icedog11
03-17-2005, 08:13 PM
what are you talkin about sir?????
ewww somethin shiny
"chases a shiny object off in the horizon, ends up being the sun"
I started this thread to help educate those interested in the area of mouth guards. I will try and help you in other ways. Your signature line under your posts should read, ”I would rather lose saying I was going to win, than win saying I was going to lose". No charge for the lesson. guess I'm just a nice guy

abdiel2k3
03-17-2005, 08:17 PM
I started this thread to help educate those interested in the area of mouth guards. I will try and help you in other ways. Your signature line under your posts should read, ”I would rather lose saying I was going to win, than win saying I was going to lose". No charge for the lesson. guess I'm just a nice guy
no
actually i meant
i would rather lose saying i was going to win, then "as in afterwards" win saying i was going to lose
so take your free lesson back

abdiel2k3
03-18-2005, 08:39 PM
ill take that as him excepting he wasnt so smart after all

icedog11
03-21-2005, 09:49 PM
ill take that as him excepting he wasnt so smart after all
if you would like it to mean "Afterwards" drop the comma and repace it with and.Just do'nt have the same amount of free time as a teenager to post alot of replies to bs.

abdiel2k3
03-21-2005, 09:52 PM
if you would like it to mean "Afterwards" drop the comma and repace it with and.Just do'nt have the same amount of free time as a teenager to post alot of replies to bs.
lmao
teenager?
**** im 19 and a half
im almost all growded up

BadMagick
03-21-2005, 09:56 PM
This thread is awesome.

Where could one acquire this type four mouth piece? Links are always helpful. Also, how would one acquire this type four mouth piece?

abdiel2k3
03-22-2005, 05:43 PM
This thread is awesome.

Where could one acquire this type four mouth piece? Links are always helpful. Also, how would one acquire this type four mouth piece?
He doesnt have time to reply to teenagers!!!!!!!!!!
damn punk kids......
and get off his LAWN!!!!!
:mad:

icedog11
03-22-2005, 06:30 PM
This thread is awesome.

try customguards.com or opro.com both companies make type 4 mouthguards.I prefer customguards. com for three reasons.One the mouthguards are made by hand to each athetes needs and they have a customer service number where you can call and ask what is the right guard for you, they dont list them all on the web.Two they actively support boxing including sponsoring boxers like B-Hop. Three I happen to own the company.

icedog11
03-22-2005, 06:41 PM
He doesnt have time to reply to teenagers!!!!!!!!!!
damn punk kids......
and get off his LAWN!!!!!
:mad:
I reply as often as I can, I have to work and I have a family , and you can stay on the lawn just watch out for the dogs

abdiel2k3
03-22-2005, 06:42 PM
I reply as often as I can, I have to work and I have a family , and you can stay on the lawn just watch out for the dogs
sweetness
ima set up a tent and everything

spinksjinx
03-22-2005, 07:29 PM
I recommend Custom Guards top notch quality from those guys. Affordable as well, great place to buy from.

boxerman
03-23-2005, 12:46 AM
and bite down
no wonder all them damn mexican fighters are so tough.