View Full Version : Who is the most skilled Heavyweight since Ali ..............

Dynamite Kid
10-02-2009, 08:26 PM
Who is the most skilled Heavyweight since Ali ? not talking about achievement but who has had the best skillset since Ali ? The reason i ask is because someone told me they reckon Bowe was and whilst i dont necessarily agree it got me thinking who is the most skilled HW since Ali ?

Thoughts? sorry if ive already posted this.

RightCross94
10-02-2009, 08:34 PM
Holyfield, Bowe, or Lewis.

Holyfield and Bowe liked to trade a lot, but when they boxed they were both very difficult to beat. Holyfield was a nice mover, was quick, and had a great arsenal of punches. He got sucked into brawling a lot though. Bowe had a nice jab, good inside game, good power and combinations.

Lewis had a lovely lead hand, powerful right, great uppercut, controlled distance wonderfully.

Dynamite Kid
10-02-2009, 08:59 PM
Holyfield, Bowe, or Lewis.

Holyfield and Bowe liked to trade a lot, but when they boxed they were both very difficult to beat. Holyfield was a nice mover, was quick, and had a great arsenal of punches. He got sucked into brawling a lot though. Bowe had a nice jab, good inside game, good power and combinations.

Lewis had a lovely lead hand, powerful right, great uppercut, controlled distance wonderfully.

Err..........so which one are you choosing :lol1:

TheGreatA
10-02-2009, 09:11 PM
Larry Holmes?

Junito-Rulez
10-02-2009, 09:15 PM
MAN Larry ****ing Holmes dude. Then i would go with Lennox; Bowe, Holyfield and one of the two blown up middleweights Toney/Byrd.

RightCross94
10-02-2009, 09:22 PM
Err..........so which one are you choosing :lol1:

I'm just saying, out of those 3.....They each did things differently

Whoops I forgot Holmes too, he deserves a mention.

RightCross94
10-02-2009, 09:23 PM
If Toney and Byrd count, they are up there too

Dynamite Kid
10-02-2009, 09:28 PM
I'm just saying, out of those 3.....They each did things differently

Whoops I forgot Holmes too, he deserves a mention.

So you are sitting on the fence, come on give us an answer.:boxing:

RightCross94
10-02-2009, 09:58 PM
So you are sitting on the fence, come on give us an answer.:boxing:

It's tough.....

I would say Lewis if we are talking about classical boxing skill, but he wasn't as versatile overall as a guy like Evander who could box and move, brawl and trade with abandon, and fight in close, tying the guy up and pounding him like he did to Tyson. So if we are talking classic boxing skills, then it's Lewis with
Evander second, if it's overall depth of their game (which includes classical skills, but also the ability to trade , out hustle a guy up close etc) then it's Evander with Bowe second and Lewis third.

Mr Boxing9
10-02-2009, 10:36 PM
Larry Homes or Lennox Lewis

Ziggy Stardust
10-02-2009, 11:01 PM
Larry Holmes easily.

Poet

D-MiZe
10-02-2009, 11:08 PM
No Mike Tyson?

Ziggy Stardust
10-02-2009, 11:13 PM
No Mike Tyson?

I believe the topic is most SKILLED.

Poet

Silencers
10-02-2009, 11:14 PM
It's either Holmes or Lewis, I'm leaning towards Holmes.

STILL_DETOX
10-03-2009, 12:41 AM
holyfield and lewis

JAB5239
10-03-2009, 12:59 AM
It's either Holmes or Lewis, I'm leaning towards Holmes.

I favor Holmes or Bowe and lean towards Holmes.

zelley
10-03-2009, 01:30 AM
Tough choice - stepping back to their amateur days in 1984, my pick would be Holyfield.

With Lennox in 1988 and their pro bouts, likely Lewis edges Holyfield, but after reviewing
Holyfield in his last title fight, although he was edged in the decision, Evander's ring movement was enough to give him the nod over Lewis.

Obama
10-03-2009, 02:54 AM
Jimmy Young > Chris Byrd

And Byrd was far from a Middleweight.

sonnyboyx2
10-03-2009, 04:49 AM
Who is the most skilled Heavyweight since Ali ? not talking about achievement but who has had the best skillset since Ali ? The reason i ask is because someone told me they reckon Bowe was and whilst i dont necessarily agree it got me thinking who is the most skilled HW since Ali ?

Thoughts? sorry if ive already posted this.

Chris Byrd by a long way

#1Assassin
10-03-2009, 05:01 AM

Poet

mike tyson in his prime was incredibly skilled. great footwork, great defense, put punches togheter. to the general public he was impressive cuz he knocked everyone out, to boxing fans he was impressive cuz he did it without getting hit. im not saying hes the most skilled, but its not a dumb answer. hes at 5 or 6 since ali.

number one is larry holmes though, then lewis.

Bigmacpoper
10-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Jimmy Young > Chris Byrd

And Byrd was far from a Middleweight.

Chris Byrd was never a bum,Dunce.He may have been a blown up light heavyweight with pillows for hands but he never disgraced himself like Jimmy Young did every time he stepped into a ring.

But in all likelyhood Chris Byrd would have destroyed Jimmy Young.

TheGreatA
10-03-2009, 12:08 PM
I think Young would have had the better of Byrd to be honest. The decision could have gone either way since neither of them would force the fight but I think Young was a bit better at almost everything. Maybe not as quick but carried more of a punch.

CCobra
10-03-2009, 02:02 PM
Young was quite an incredible Heavyweight. I rank him in my top 35-30, possibly the bottom end of that 30. He beat some good contenders, got robbed against Ali and I'm yet to see the Norton fight but I've heard it was close. He beat George Foreman and the majority of his losses came at the tail end of his career and at the very beginning. Young was rarely beaten in and around in his prime and when he was, it was against Muhammad Ali (Young robbed blind) and Ken Norton. Two ATG Heavyweight fighters.

mickey malone
10-03-2009, 02:12 PM
MAN Larry ****ing Holmes dude. Then i would go with Lennox; Bowe, Holyfield and one of the two blown up middleweights Toney/Byrd.
Spot on!...

Nicolas-Dalida
10-03-2009, 02:12 PM
Wladimir Klitschko and Tysone are the bests ever.

D-MiZe
10-03-2009, 02:13 PM

Poet

You don't think he was incredibly skilled?

Ziggy Stardust
10-03-2009, 02:22 PM
You don't think he was incredibly skilled?

Not exceptionally so. He was a great fighter to be sure but placing his skill set on the level of the Alis and Holmeses is overrating him. For example, his defense is vastly overrated and his D'Amato era trainers acknowledge this: They point out that his offense WAS his defense. For the record I rank Tyson at number 10 on my all-time Heavyweight list; an ATG, but not a top-tier one.

Poet

Nicolas-Dalida
10-03-2009, 02:23 PM
And Wladimir Klitschko, i believe he's a victim of racism. In europe, he's popular like Zac efron.

Ziggy Stardust
10-03-2009, 02:26 PM
And Wladimir Klitschko, i believe he's a victim of racism. In europe, he's popular like Zac efron.

Another alt from Klitschko2009 :ugh:

Poet

Bigmacpoper
10-03-2009, 02:35 PM
Jimmy Young was quite incredibly Bland.If you are looking for as unimpressive a heavyweight as there is,then Jimmy Young is your man.

Chris Byrd did impress me,Jimmy Young never did.They claim you shouldn't judge a fighter on his record but in truth you should,especially losing to the level of opponent that he did.

He was a poor excuse for an athlete and a fighter.I've seen such threads pop up asking "who would win? Tyson or Young?" this is just a ridiculous question.

Go watch his fights with Ossie Ocasio and tell me he is a great fighter.Rating him in the top 50 is stupid and wrong.

TheGreatA
10-03-2009, 02:50 PM
Jimmy Young was quite incredibly Bland.If you are looking for as unimpressive a heavyweight as there is,then Jimmy Young is your man.

Chris Byrd did impress me,Jimmy Young never did.They claim you shouldn't judge a fighter on his record but in truth you should,especially losing to the level of opponent that he did.

He was a poor excuse for an athlete and a fighter.I've seen such threads pop up asking "who would win? Tyson or Young?" this is just a ridiculous question.

Go watch his fights with Ossie Ocasio and tell me he is a great fighter.Rating him in the top 50 is stupid and wrong.

Young stopped caring after the decision went against him when he fought Norton. He didn't look that bad in the Ocasio rematch.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-jlUevRa4j0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-jlUevRa4j0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Young certainly doesn't seem like a poor excuse of a fighter here:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_PZuIeO-OcE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_PZuIeO-OcE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

JAB5239
10-03-2009, 02:54 PM

Lets say for a minute that everything you say about Young is true (even though it isn't). He still beat your hero Ron Lyle. What does that say about him? :lol1:

Obama
10-03-2009, 02:55 PM

He was a great fighter for a brief duration of time. The short prime window definitely hampers where I'd place him in total greatness. If he makes my top 50 Heavyweights, it would definitely be at the end. As far as Philadelphia's Heavyweights go, I rate him 4th after Liston, Frazier, and Witherspoon.

mickey malone
10-03-2009, 03:37 PM
Young slapped Foreman, didn't he?

On that feat alone, the man deserves a lot of credit...

GJC
10-03-2009, 04:43 PM
Given that the question is most skilled rather than best I'm leaning towards Bowe though very happy to be convinced otherwise as not a huge fan :)

Benncollinsaad
10-03-2009, 04:54 PM
Evander Holyfield, then Wladimir Klitschko.;)

Derranged
10-03-2009, 11:02 PM
If Danny Williams was around when Ali was, Ali would have elected to fight in Vietnam.

CCobra
10-04-2009, 03:41 AM

That's because Young was like a lot of fighters in and around his time, inconsistent. It was mentioned above but after the decision loss against Norton which is a fight I thought he won. The prime years of his career were short but featured unofficial victories of Muhammad Ali, Ken Norton and wins over George Foreman & Ron Lyle. Had he gotten the decisions he deserves in the fights I mentioned earlier, he'd be ranking pretty high in many peoples lists. But he was to inconsistent.

CRESCENDOPOWER
10-04-2009, 06:11 AM
Larry Homes or Lennox Lewis

Those 2 are probably my choice as well.

Benncollinsaad
10-04-2009, 07:41 AM
Those 2 are probably my choice as well.

:puke: The worst choices possible!

Davros?
10-04-2009, 09:20 AM
Holmes Lewis Bowe Holyfield and Tyson were all very good its difficult to pick one they were all good at different things.

Kut
10-04-2009, 09:39 AM
Concerning pure Boxingskills Holmes. He was very close to Ali, his jabs and uppercuts even better imo.

CCobra
10-04-2009, 09:51 AM
For most talented it's a toss up between Lennox Lewis, Larry Holmes and Riddick Bowe.

Benncollinsaad
10-04-2009, 10:01 AM
For most talented it's a toss up between Lennox Lewis, Larry Holmes and Riddick Bowe.

I'd only agree about Bowe. Lewis was pretty crap before Steward took him in. Even then he took in a lotta shots and was pretty slow and unbalanced. Wlad would decision him anytime. Not to mention Holy in his prime.

TheGreatA
10-04-2009, 10:14 AM
I'd only agree about Bowe. Lewis was pretty crap before Steward took him in. Even then he took in a lotta shots and was pretty slow and unbalanced. Wlad would decision him anytime. Not to mention Holy in his prime.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/coRRTTKhxlw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/coRRTTKhxlw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Benncollinsaad
10-04-2009, 10:26 AM
That was a very messy fight. I don't like Hide, he always looked like a jerk to me, but in his prime he was dangerous. I said once before that he might've had a chance to stop Lewis back then. And I still believe it.

TheGreatA
10-04-2009, 10:34 AM
That was a very messy fight. I don't like Hide, he always looked like a jerk to me, but in his prime he was dangerous. I said once before that he might've had a chance to stop Lewis back then. And I still believe it.

A very minor chance.

Riddick Bowe's lack of defense and his tendency to throw winging punches "disqualifies" him as being the answer to this question, in my opinion. Great infighter for a man of his size but sometimes his boxing ability from a distance lacked.

If only he had improved on what he was able to display against Holyfield the first time but instead he seemingly got worse.

Benncollinsaad
10-04-2009, 10:49 AM
A very minor chance.

Riddick Bowe's lack of defense and his tendency to throw winging punches "disqualifies" him as being the answer to this question, in my opinion. Great infighter for a man of his size but sometimes his boxing ability from a distance lacked.

If only he had improved on what he was able to display against Holyfield the first time but instead he seemingly got worse.

I know, thats why I only mentioned Holy and Klitschko in the first post here.;)

CCobra
10-04-2009, 11:12 AM

Regardless of what Lewis style was like pre-Steward, he developed into a well skilled fighter. He had almost all the attributes you'd expect in a great Heavyweight and knew how to use his physical advantages very well.

Leakbeak
10-04-2009, 11:14 AM
A prime Iron Mike Tyson would have lost to a prime Larry Holmes

mickey malone
10-04-2009, 11:56 AM
Holmes
Lewis
Holyfield
Tyson
Bowe

In order... What's so fukin ard about that????