View Full Version : How would you rank JF Castro?

Benncollinsaad
10-02-2009, 06:19 PM
Jorge Fernando Castro has a great resume of 130 wins with only 11 losses and 90 knockouts. He has fought in 5 weightclasses, from lmw to cw and won a major title in one of them, mw. He was the first man to go the distance, 10 rounds that is, with Roy Jones. And he gave him a tough fight, despite getting his nose broken in the second round. He has beaten Reggie Johnson, John David Jackson, Roberto Duran, Derrick Harmon and Alex Ramos, the Bronx Bomber.

So should he be considered a legend? Is he a HOF or an ATG? In my mind, he at least qualifies for HOF.

1SILVA
10-03-2009, 02:27 AM
Jorge Fernando Castro has a great resume of 130 wins with only 11 losses and 90 knockouts. He has fought in 5 weightclasses, from lmw to cw and won a major title in one of them, mw. He was the first man to go the distance, 10 rounds that is, with Roy Jones. And he gave him a tough fight, despite getting his nose broken in the second round. He has beaten Reggie Johnson, John David Jackson, Roberto Duran, Derrick Harmon and Alex Ramos, the Bronx Bomber.

So should he be considered a legend? Is he a HOF or an ATG? In my mind, he at least qualifies for HOF.

He's on the level of a Mustafa hamsho, Carlos Baldomir and a level below Victor galindez. He beat a washed up Duran and the other guys you mentioned are not HOF caliber. Tough, rugged fighter who had a tremendous war beating John David jackson for the 94 FOTY. He also lost to a 46 year old, fat and washed up Duran.

Obama
10-03-2009, 02:48 AM
He was much better than Baldo and Hamsho. Beating Sweet Reggie and Action Jackson is serious business.

CCobra
10-03-2009, 04:19 AM
Solid fighter with a half decent resume. He's not HOF category but he wasn't a bum either.

BennyST
10-03-2009, 04:24 AM
I agree that he is better than Hamsho and Baldomir, though he is just out of the range of the HOF. Has some really great wins over the likes of undefeated John D. Jackson in an incredible fight, and also two wins over the great champ Reggie Johnson and of course a big win over an old Roberto Duran, but he also lost to that same very old Duran while he was still in his prime. Duran's last great win in fact.

He's good, but not great.

RightCross94
10-03-2009, 04:25 AM
Good fighter, decent resume too.

RightCross94
10-03-2009, 04:28 AM
As for him being a Hofer, I dunno.....To be honest he probably has just as much of a case on paper (if not more so) than a guy like Gatti.....But no probably not.

Obama
10-03-2009, 12:32 PM
It depends how well he is received in his home country as it pertains to whether or not he'll make the HOF one day.

TheGreatA
10-03-2009, 12:41 PM
He was much better than Baldo and Hamsho. Beating Sweet Reggie and Action Jackson is serious business.

Reggie got robbed though and Jackson was destroying him until the one punch knockout.

Castro was incredibly tough and would go the distance with just about any middleweight in boxing history.

He had some unbelievable battles with Roberto Duran, unbelievable because by all means the bigger, stronger and younger Castro should have walked right through the near 50 year old Duran yet Duran gave him all he could handle.

Obama
10-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Reggie got robbed though and Jackson was destroying him until the one punch knockout.

Castro was incredibly tough and would go the distance with just about any middleweight in boxing history.

He had some unbelievable battles with Roberto Duran, unbelievable because by all means the bigger, stronger and younger Castro should have walked right through the near 50 year old Duran yet Duran gave him all he could handle.

You mind uploading one of the Johnson / Castro fights to youtube?

CCobra
10-03-2009, 01:46 PM

I've seen one of the fights, I cannot remember which fight it were but I know that Reggie definitely beat Castro. Poor decision.

mickey malone
10-03-2009, 03:01 PM
I know he got stopped by Jose luis Gonzalez & again by someone (can't remember who) when he was way past prime, but other than that, I can't remember him getting stopped, let alone KO'd by anyone.. Makes me wonder why I didn't think of him on the 'best chins' thread..

Can also remember him dropping a DC to Duran (Super Middle, I think)
Anyone know how many times he fought Duran? & what were the scores?

Obama
10-03-2009, 03:08 PM
I know he got stopped by Jose luis Gonzalez & again by someone (can't remember who) when he was way past prime, but other than that, I can't remember him getting stopped, let alone KO'd by anyone.. Makes me wonder why I didn't think of him on the 'best chins' thread..

Duran lost the first fight by scores 94-100 | 96-99 | 98-99 and won the second fight by scores 97-95 | 97-95 | 97-95.

TheGreatA
10-03-2009, 03:14 PM
I uploaded both Duran-Castro fights, they're worth a watch:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VyknJiMwIXM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VyknJiMwIXM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o055XCqPVNM&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o055XCqPVNM&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Steak
10-03-2009, 04:11 PM

I think he was stopped by Juan Carlos Gomez, but that was at Cruiserweight. He was ranked in the top ten at Cruiserweight at a time I believe.

Unless they were taken down, I already uploaded the first Castro-John David Jackson fight on youtube.

he was a tough, but limited fighter...he still had a very successful career, all things considered.

He was better than Baldomir...slightly below Julio Cesar Vasquez.

Benncollinsaad
10-03-2009, 04:14 PM
I think he was stopped by Juan Carlos Gomez, but that was at Cruiserweight. He was ranked in the top ten at Cruiserweight at a time I believe.

Unless they were taken down, I already uploaded the first Castro-John David Jackson fight on youtube.

he was a tough, but limited fighter...he still had a very successful career, all things considered.

No, they're still there.;) Thanks for that man.:beerchug:

mickey malone
10-03-2009, 04:49 PM

Fvck!!... I often get those 2 in a mucking fuddle!.. Must be a Cuban thing... Cheers..