View Full Version : Steve Collins today

Benncollinsaad
10-02-2009, 11:28 AM
I think Steve would clear up the smw division today. The only fighter who would stand a chance against him is Kessler. Not even Bute could. But I think Steve at his best would beat Kessler and anyone else.

alza1988
10-02-2009, 11:43 AM
Yep i'm with you on this one .A prime Collins , prime Calzaghe would be good .Collins has beat Benn and Eubank both twice. Darren Sutherland was getting compared to Calzaghe off some people as well.Sad he died .
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/u0EBzBsrstk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u0EBzBsrstk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

alza1988
10-02-2009, 12:08 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/h7ETh3CuiUU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/h7ETh3CuiUU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Silencers
10-02-2009, 12:20 PM
I always thought Collins was a bit overrated and that he came along at the right time to take advantage of Benn's and Eubank's aging. Never was too impressed with him, I believe he'd give the top super middleweights today good fights but I doubt he cleans out the division. Him vs Froch and Andrade would've been terrific wars.

mickey malone
10-02-2009, 01:26 PM
I always thought Collins was a bit overrated and that he came along at the right time to take advantage of Benn's and Eubank's aging. Never was too impressed with him, I believe he'd give the top super middleweights today good fights but I doubt he cleans out the division. Him vs Froch and Andrade would've been terrific wars.
Incredibly tough & determined.. Id say he'd be a front runner in any era.. Not so sure about him clearing up though..

Fights against Andrade, Kessler, Froch or Abraham would all be pretty close..

Ironicaly, Collins had been a pro longer than both Benn or Eubank, when he fought them, and to the best of my knowledge, all 3 were in approximately the same age bracket..

I think it's fair to say that the other 2 had engaged in more wars, & were fairly ring worn by the time they met a comparatively fresh Collins..

D-MiZe
10-02-2009, 01:29 PM

Agreed.

:fing02:

CiganoBoxer
10-02-2009, 01:46 PM
I think it's fair to say that the other 2 had engaged in more wars, & were fairly ring worn by the time they met a comparatively fresh Collins.. Even colins himself admitted he fought a washed up Benn ....as for Eubank well he was less washed up when collins fought him !
But collins was a tough focker!

Gorgeous George
10-02-2009, 01:49 PM
I think Steve would clear up the smw division today. The only fighter who would stand a chance against him is Kessler. Not even Bute could. But I think Steve at his best would beat Kessler and anyone else.
co-sign. the english wont agree because he beat their best two twice each (benn+eubank). dont even mentioned calzaghe brits because he was a nobody then.I wish rjj fought him and gave the warrior his big payday.

Benncollinsaad
10-02-2009, 02:42 PM
Incredibly tough & determined.. Id say he'd be a front runner in any era.. Not so sure about him clearing up though..

Fights against Andrade, Kessler, Froch or Abraham would all be pretty close..

Ironicaly, Collins had been a pro longer than both Benn or Eubank, when he fought them, and to the best of my knowledge, all 3 were in approximately the same age bracket..

I think it's fair to say that the other 2 had engaged in more wars, & were fairly ring worn by the time they met a comparatively fresh Collins..

Green K coming your way.;) You said it right. Collins is actually 2 years older than Eubank and the same age as Benn. Its true that Benn wasn't anymore the same guy when Steve fought him tho. But Eubank definitely was.

Shambleton
10-02-2009, 02:47 PM
I didn't like all that **** about him being hypnotised when he faught Eubs. I thought that it was a bit underhand tactics really, it worked to be fair though, Chrith was frightened of him.

PS. Prime Collins v Prime Eubs = Eubank win by TKO. He was never the same fighter after Watson.

Benncollinsaad
10-02-2009, 02:51 PM
I didn't like all that **** about him being hypnotised when he faught Eubs. I thought that it was a bit underhand tactics really, it worked to be fair though, Chrith was frightened of him.

PS. Prime Collins v Prime Eubs = Eubank win by TKO. He was never the same fighter after Watson.

C'mon, you can't say he wasn't the same fighter PHYSICALLY! He still had the same speed, reflexes and strength. He showed he could still punch when he put Collins down in the first fight. But Collins wasn't like the other guys Eubank had fought before. No matter how hard Eubank or anybody hit him, he'd always come back and attack.:boxing:

Shambleton
10-02-2009, 02:52 PM
C'mon, you can't say he wasn't the same fighter PHYSICALLY! He still had the same speed, reflexes and strength. He showed he could still punch when he put Collins down in the first fight. But Collins wasn't like the other guys Eubank had fought before. No matter how hard Eubank or anybody hit him, he'd always come back and attack.:boxing:

Nothing to do with physical anything, he was ****scared of everything that moved after Watson.

Benncollinsaad
10-02-2009, 03:06 PM
Nothing to do with physical anything, he was ****scared of everything that moved after Watson.

I wouldn't go as far. I think you Brits have created this romanticized image of Eubank, which is not completely true to his real self. Thats my impression anyway. Not saying he's a bad guy or anything, but he's a fighter. He had the choice to quit boxing, but he chose to go on.

Shambleton
10-02-2009, 03:11 PM
I wouldn't go as far. I think you Brits have created this romanticized image of Eubank, which is not completely true to his real self. Thats my impression anyway. Not saying he's a bad guy or anything, but he's a fighter. He had the choice to quit boxing, but he chose to go on.

I agree, the guy is an idiot and clearly had some issues at the time. But he was not the same aggressive style of fighter after the Watson fight. Whether it was guilt or maybe he was frightened of getting injured himself, I don't know, but he wasn't the same. I can't stand the guy as a person, I've met him on numerous occasions and he is a wanker.

mickey malone
10-02-2009, 03:23 PM
Green K coming your way.;) You said it right. Collins is actually 2 years older than Eubank and the same age as Benn. Its true that Benn wasn't anymore the same guy when Steve fought him tho. But Eubank definitely was.
Cheers!... Yep, no one new this more than Collins.. He administered the help of a hypnotist (Paul McKenna) in order to create the burning desire needed to put Chris under immense pressure from the opening bell..
To say that Steve was intense, has to be an understatement.. I honestly can't remember ever seeing another fighter as hyped as Collins was, especially the 2nd fight!
It worked perfectly against Eubank, who up until then, had always been able to control & dictate the pace of any fight..
Collins simply took away all of Eubanks initutive by swarming him into a zone of discomfort that he wasn't familiar with..

The Noose
10-02-2009, 03:39 PM
Il have to watch the Collins Eubank fights again.

I always thought Collins was a bit overrated, but u cant take anything away from him.

Eubank had many close decisions before being beaten by Collins, and Benn was clearly finished.

Jones vs Collins would have been painful to watch. Calzaghe - Collins would have been entertaining.

Gorgeous George
10-02-2009, 04:07 PM
If eubank was afraid or damaged after watson fight all he had to do was out box collins for 12 rounds he didnt even have to sit down on his punches, all he had to do was outbox the crude collins for 12 rounds.... but at the end of the day eubank wasnt capable...

Gorgeous George
10-02-2009, 04:15 PM
Remember that collins put eubank down 1st in the middle rounds.....

Benncollinsaad
10-02-2009, 06:24 PM
Remember that collins put eubank down 1st in the middle rounds.....

Yeah. In the 8th.:boxing:

gingeralbino
10-03-2009, 01:32 AM
you're talking like eubank was a washed up fighter after Watson. He fought Watson 4 years before the first fight with Collins, and in that 4 years went 14 fights unbeaten (although the judges were kind to him on occasion).

Eubank didnt look scared to me, even when he was way past prime fighting Thomspsn at CW.

Gorgeous George
10-03-2009, 11:48 PM
If eubank was afraid or damaged after watson fight all he had to do was out box collins for 12 rounds he didnt even have to sit down on his punches, all he had to do was outbox the crude collins for 12 rounds.... but at the end of the day eubank wasnt capable...
The truth............

mickey malone
10-04-2009, 05:24 PM
He peaked in the fights with Pyatt, Eubank & Benn.. All massive wins, & making him a 2 weight WBO champion..

Makes you wonder whether he'd have been too tough for Jones and Calzaghe or too relentless for James Toney.. He'd be the underdog in all 3 of these, but only a fool would count him out it..

Bigmacpoper
10-04-2009, 05:35 PM
Steve Collins was at the right place at the right time,fought some top middleweights before he ever met Eubank and Benn but he met them at the downslide points in their career.

Eubank was scraping through very close decisions against decent at best opponents at this point in his career,to claim he wasn't washed up his just stupid and Benn had been in war after war and couldn't hack it anymore,he wasn't getting a big money showdown with Roy Jones and looked pathetic against Malinga.

aje
10-04-2009, 05:43 PM
I'd take taylor over collins any day .

Never really did rate collins .

Gorgeous George
10-04-2009, 05:56 PM
Silly cunts....

mickey malone
10-05-2009, 03:52 AM
How can you not rate a man who never gets KO'd and keeps coming forward while continuously throwing punches without tiring?

He may not of had the greatest technique, but it was very effective and successful.. Taylor would have to get on his bike and stay on it all night, to stand any chance of beating him.. And what a stinker it'd be to..

Dynamite Kid
10-05-2009, 06:56 AM
Collins would be up there but i dont think he has the skills to be dominant, i mean is he any tougher than Froch ? probably not, does he have better skills than Froch? debatable, he does not hit hard either.

Reggie Johnson beat Collins clearly and by the end of the fight was starting to beat him up, Reggie Johnson was a good fighter but not great.

The Noose
10-05-2009, 07:45 AM
How can you not rate a man who never gets KO'd and keeps coming forward while continuously throwing punches without tiring?

He may not of had the greatest technique, but it was very effective and successful.. Taylor would have to get on his bike and stay on it all night, to stand any chance of beating him.. And what a stinker it'd be to..

I dont think he came forward constantly, he was a good counter puncher, and did have great stamina and was effective. But he also had gaping flaws that would of been exposed by better fighters than Eubank and a shot Benn.

Good, but not great.

I think he would stand a good chance with all the SMW's today. None of them are great. Kessler would beat him IMO.

Benncollinsaad
10-05-2009, 07:48 AM
Collins would be up there but i dont think he has the skills to be dominant, i mean is he any tougher than Froch ? probably not, does he have better skills than Froch? debatable, he does not hit hard either.

Reggie Johnson beat Collins clearly and by the end of the fight was starting to beat him up, Reggie Johnson was a good fighter but not great.

I don't know. I haven't seen the Johnson fight. But Collins was def better at 168 than 160. He wasn't particularly fast, so his game was always brawling. He did have skills tho, obviously. Nobody can beat Eubank and Benn with pure muscle.

mickey malone
10-06-2009, 07:07 AM
I dont think he came forward constantly, he was a good counter puncher, and did have great stamina and was effective. But he also had gaping flaws that would of been exposed by better fighters than Eubank and a shot Benn.

Good, but not great.

I think he would stand a good chance with all the SMW's today. None of them are great. Kessler would beat him IMO.
I didn't say 'constantly'... But far more (come forward) agressive than most of his foes.. The only 2 narrow defeats on his record were against champs, McCallum & Johnson, during his early 20's, at a time when Benn & Eubank had only competed in a handfull of professional contests.. But he still came back to haunt them both a decade later..

I think it's time to stop underrating him..

D-MiZe
10-06-2009, 07:09 AM
Silly cunts....

Talking about yourself?

:thinking: