View Full Version : Tiger Balm - What's your experience with this?

Grand Champ
10-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Ever used it? I'm starting to use it, I feel like it's heating up sore muscles taking some of the pain away after training. Whether or not it really works or if it's just my the tought of it working that makes it better is beyond me. What's your experience with this? What do you use against really sore muscles..?

fraidycat
10-01-2009, 10:00 PM
Don't use Tiger Balm for jock itch.

Just something I heard once. YMMV.

Phenomkidd
10-01-2009, 10:10 PM
I have heard Cryogel is the best in this category.

Leakbeak
10-01-2009, 10:24 PM
Cheap and nasty useless ****! Makes people feel a bit better about themselves when they've smelt it and felt some warmth on the surface, but in real terms it does **** all to penetrate that surface and warm up the muscles underneath. Ralgex and Transvasin are the real deal scientifically formulated alternatives that actually work. Anyone who plays ball on a Saturday morning will know what I mean.

F A R L A P
10-01-2009, 10:36 PM
im with leakbeak.

it's basically a placebo, strong smell and tingles/warms the skin up a bit but thats about it. i still use it though, for some reason it helps. think it takes my mind of the soreness.

peewee1460
10-01-2009, 11:13 PM
anybody know anything like this for joints?

Spartacus Sully
10-01-2009, 11:35 PM
Took wing chun for a while and working the wooden dummy my fore arms oftenly got bruised pretty bad. I found that a mixture of baby oragel and tiger balm really helped with the soreness.

Leakbeak
10-01-2009, 11:45 PM
im with leakbeak.

it's basically a placebo, strong smell and tingles/warms the skin up a bit but thats about it. i still use it though, for some reason it helps. think it takes my mind of the soreness.Because it costs 25 pennies whereas the medicated stuff costs you a few sheets!

anybody know anything like this for joints?Not really. For swollen joints you can try Deep Freeze or the cold blue Ralgex. Glucosamine gel is helpful and I have used it in the past. Keep it in the fridge. It'll cost you a few sheets if you find it in a abrgain shop like I did

Took wing chun for a while and working the wooden dummy my fore arms oftenly got bruised pretty bad. I found that a mixture of baby oragel and tiger balm really helped with the soreness.

That's why boxing is number one and why martial arts are relics of the past. Why would any form of hand to hand combat training result in damage to your body? Sounds like them silly dolls are similar to the self abuse muaythai fighters do to their shins mate. Either get it padded up or be sensible ane learn efficient punches on a heavy bag. If there was a better way to punch, why didn't that chinese boxer use wing chung at the Olympics?

Spartacus Sully
10-02-2009, 01:29 AM
yeah same shin stuff but on my fore arms. I dont imagine it would be ok if say i parried one of your punches with my fore arm that resulted in your fore arm shattering in multiple places. or say a palm hit to the chest followed by ripping off your ear and knife fist strike to your throat cutting off your oxygen. theres a cool snake winding thing i can do that uses my arms to tie up your arms then break them followed by a series of strikes to the head throat and body. though when im wearing gloves some of the moves are difficult though i can still go forearm to forearm and shatter yours and i can still do the snake thing to tie up your arms and then break them with gloves on. though either action may get me disqualified if i attempted that in the olympics.

definately relics of the past only useful when you want to serisouly hurt some one.

sukhenkoy
10-02-2009, 02:04 AM
Put it on your g'nadsack before sparring and you'll feel like you can knockout Tyson.

Aperion
10-02-2009, 12:31 PM
Ever used it? I'm starting to use it, I feel like it's heating up sore muscles taking some of the pain away after training. Whether or not it really works or if it's just my the tought of it working that makes it better is beyond me. What's your experience with this? What do you use against really sore muscles..?

Yea I've used it a lot. It's really strong stuff, not you're average IcyHot cream. I generally only use it if I got a real tight muscles, on my shoulder/neck and lower back. For any other muscles or any other type of soreness without tightness I use IcyHot cream, not the Tiger Balm.

If you've used it, you probably know by now you only need a very small dab, and rub it in completely and wait for it to set in.

Aperion
10-02-2009, 12:35 PM
yeah same shin stuff but on my fore arms. I dont imagine it would be ok if say i parried one of your punches with my fore arm that resulted in your fore arm shattering in multiple places. or say a palm hit to the chest followed by ripping off your ear and knife fist strike to your throat cutting off your oxygen. theres a cool snake winding thing i can do that uses my arms to tie up your arms then break them followed by a series of strikes to the head throat and body. though when im wearing gloves some of the moves are difficult though i can still go forearm to forearm and shatter yours and i can still do the snake thing to tie up your arms and then break them with gloves on. though either action may get me disqualified if i attempted that in the olympics.

definately relics of the past only useful when you want to serisouly hurt some one.

Go watch some MMA. The only useful non-Boxing martial arts occur in MMA, everything else is impractical in real life, be it a street fight or a sanctioned event. A "cool snake winding thing i can do that uses my arms to tie up your arms then break them followed by a series of strikes to the head throat and body" is laughable, you would never, ever be able to do something so complicated in real life. Someone can 1-2 you to the face before you'd ever get close enough.

Spartacus Sully
10-03-2009, 05:21 AM
Go watch some MMA. The only useful non-Boxing martial arts occur in MMA, everything else is impractical in real life, be it a street fight or a sanctioned event. A "cool snake winding thing i can do that uses my arms to tie up your arms then break them followed by a series of strikes to the head throat and body" is laughable, you would never, ever be able to do something so complicated in real life. Someone can 1-2 you to the face before you'd ever get close enough.

so their going to punch me whiel i have a firm grip on their arms?

takes to long complicated? it takes me 2 mins to do 108 diffrent moves each composed of blocking and attacking each lust like the snake thing and the rip your ear off thing.

so ide say it would take me less then 2 seconds to approach tangle up your arms then while still guarding my center line and maintaining a wedge i palm strike your chest block your arm palm strike your solar plexus then block your arm hammer5 fist on the side ribs then block your arm and palm strike your head then once again block your arms palm strike your solar plexus and return to my origional stance and begin the next of the 108 moves

or atleast i can do that on a 200 lb telephone pole is less then 2 seconds. as far as real life goes i can close the gap of whrere they can almost punch me
and tangle up peoples arms before they have any idea whats going on and by that point where so close and your arms are useless taht you really cant do anythin and i never needed to take you to the ground plus while in this distance and in this position i would have no problem breaking both your arms at the elbow and shoulder. before i continue to pummel you with body shots. in fact the 1-2 that they would throw woud be the perfect chance to immobolize your arms and close the gap.

as ive said in normal day combat sports where your fighting on tv for entertainmaint wing chun is much to brutal. which is why its not used in mma. its the kind of thing where you want to make your point but your only going to have to make it once.

Phenomkidd
10-03-2009, 11:19 AM
Because it costs 25 pennies whereas the medicated stuff costs you a few sheets!

Not really. For swollen joints you can try Deep Freeze or the cold blue Ralgex. Glucosamine gel is helpful and I have used it in the past. Keep it in the fridge. It'll cost you a few sheets if you find it in a abrgain shop like I did

That's why boxing is number one and why martial arts are relics of the past. Why would any form of hand to hand combat training result in damage to your body? Sounds like them silly dolls are similar to the self abuse muaythai fighters do to their shins mate. Either get it padded up or be sensible ane learn efficient punches on a heavy bag. If there was a better way to punch, why didn't that chinese boxer use wing chung at the Olympics?

You do know boxing is a martial art right? Muay Thai fighters toughen their shins because in case you didn't know they don't fight with shin pads on. If they can't handle the pain when they make hard contact with their shins what do you think is gonna happen? Why didn't a wrestler employ jiu jitsu during a collegiate match? Etc.

Phenomkidd
10-03-2009, 11:22 AM

Many martial arts offer at LEAST 1 effective technique and usually more.

Leglocks, anklelocks, etc. This can be performed with GREAT ease in professional MMA but is not employed often (should be though). I don't think you would use this in real life. When fighters get in their guard, get taken down, etc, and have their legs dangling in the air, those are primetime for a submission.

j
10-04-2009, 12:52 AM

well, thanks for one of the dumbest comments i have ever read on here. obviously u dont know many martial arts teachers.

mma, well, that isnt even really "mma" anymore. it is thai boxing and bjj. then guys like cung li come around, and confuse the **** outta everyone cause they know skills others dont have - kinda like how bjj was when it first appeared.

anyways, your imagination of what martial arts are comes from some rediculous stereotype. i have no idea where u get this imaginative veiw of "fighting" arts, but dont talk about things u know nothing about. they are called "fighting arts" for a reason. cause u are trained to fight.

aperion = BS. dont listen to this guy.

onto the topic. tiger balm is great stuff. it is usually no less than 10% menthol and camfort(sp?). very good stuff for sore or stiff muscles. i recommend much more than the pissy topicals suck as icy hot - which is about 2.3% menthol. and menthol is the main active ingredient.

j
10-04-2009, 12:56 AM
You do know boxing is a martial art right? Muay Thai fighters toughen their shins because in case you didn't know they don't fight with shin pads on. If they can't handle the pain when they make hard contact with their shins what do you think is gonna happen? Why didn't a wrestler employ jiu jitsu during a collegiate match? Etc.

man, 90% of martial arts use an active toughening training regimine. that is what iron shirt, iron palm, iron leg, etc training is. and it works pretty damn well. i have friends who have trained in it and their conditioned parts are noticeably harder than even a bodybuilder. there is usually a scince to it. that means that there are gradual stages that help to create an even tougher level of skin, muscle and bone. i use a different type of practice that results in the same goal.

edit: for conditioning, there is a specific topical that is applied. it is not tiger balm or related.

Spartacus Sully
10-04-2009, 09:30 AM
dit da jow or what ever i picked up a 1 gallon mix of herbs for just all around mixed with a gallon of vodka that i got burried in my back yard gonna dig it up next summer. Cant wait

j
10-05-2009, 01:18 AM
dit da jow or what ever i picked up a 1 gallon mix of herbs for just all around mixed with a gallon of vodka that i got burried in my back yard gonna dig it up next summer. Cant wait

haha, yeah, that's the stuff. i dont use jow much anymore as i focus more on taiji, xingyi and such and not as much as karate or shaolin type of boxing anymore. although, i have been thinking about learning some performance wushu for the fun of it.

wow, u have actually buried your jow. did you teacher give you his recipe? and what type of alcohol are you using with it if you mind me asking. if it is a fam recipe, then i understand.
edit: nevermind, i see u used the vodka base.

so recipe from friend or teach?

Spartacus Sully
10-05-2009, 03:11 AM
haha, yeah, that's the stuff. i dont use jow much anymore as i focus more on taiji, xingyi and such and not as much as karate or shaolin type of boxing anymore. although, i have been thinking about learning some performance wushu for the fun of it.

wow, u have actually buried your jow. did you teacher give you his recipe? and what type of alcohol are you using with it if you mind me asking. if it is a fam recipe, then i understand.
edit: nevermind, i see u used the vodka base.

so recipe from friend or teach?

http://www.plumdragonherbs.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/24/products_id/202?osCsid=6d795ecc472b82a37c43d5f5a75c4b68

Im making the bruise dit da jow, as far as burying it and letting it sit for a year that was my teach the changing of the temperature through the season adds to the process or something. I got the 3 other packs but havnt used them. i want to see how this turns out maybe try some different alcohol.

Czarek
10-05-2009, 03:23 PM
Cheap and nasty useless ****! Makes people feel a bit better about themselves when they've smelt it and felt some warmth on the surface, but in real terms it does **** all to penetrate that surface and warm up the muscles underneath. Ralgex and Transvasin are the real deal scientifically formulated alternatives that actually work. Anyone who plays ball on a Saturday morning will know what I mean.

very right. also my opinion