View Full Version : Is it too late?

one-Punch
10-01-2009, 12:08 PM
I haven't boxed in truthfully, 3 years. With school and personal issues, I couldn't really continue. Now I know a lot of people probably say, I am or was real good. But I really was good. I would love to get back into boxing again but I almost feel discouraged due to the amount of time I have spent away from the gym. I have decided to make my own personal gym in my basement for convience and hit up the gym when I can. So far I have a heavy bag, space (shadowboxing), and a real crappy speed bag. Is it worth trying to box again? What else could I buy to complete my personal gym? Opinions and Ideas would be great. I am only 20 years old by the way.

Thanks

arraamis
10-01-2009, 07:15 PM
I haven't boxed in truthfully, 3 years. With school and personal issues, I couldn't really continue. Now I know a lot of people probably say, I am or was real good. But I really was good. I would love to get back into boxing again but I almost feel discouraged due to the amount of time I have spent away from the gym. I have decided to make my own personal gym in my basement for convience and hit up the gym when I can. So far I have a heavy bag, space (shadowboxing), and a real crappy speed bag. Is it worth trying to box again? What else could I buy to complete my personal gym? Opinions and Ideas would be great. I am only 20 years old by the way.

Thanks

I would say ... go for it!!!!

Even if you do not plan to compete on a pro level .... its always a good idea to stay in the best of physical shape. In my words {Fighting Shape!!}

Something you may consider after building your home gym and getting your technique up to par .... is to go to a local gym and offer yourself as a sparring partner for the top prospects .... Most Gym managers and or trainers will accept the offer {If you're on point} and let you use the gym for free.

But, {No Offense} don't offer if you're just a human punching bag ..... no one will bite.

Heavy Bag - Double-end bag - Speed bag & Platform - Ducking ropes
Slip ball - Uppercut bag - Should be good to go from there.

FP559
10-01-2009, 09:13 PM

Thanks

I don't think it's too late for you, you're young. You got your basement with a heavy bag, just get a jump rope $2-3, speed bag, double end bag $30 and the other stuff araamis said. Go for it! :boxing:

Leakbeak
10-01-2009, 09:14 PM
Give up at 20! You're too old :rofl: Seriously man, stop being such a knucklehead and quit your moping bruv! I'll tell you a secret that alot of people won't know. **** the home gym! I have seen too many occasions when people subconciously use a home 'gym' or a boxercise class to 'get fit again' as an excuse to put off a comeback. The only way and the best way to get back into it like nothing happened is to dive straight back into the deep end! TRUST ME on this mate. I've never had a lay off that long but it worked for me when I ****ed up both knees in footy. I don't know what you've been up to in the past three years, but apart from the lack of training I think the ill effects of any type of lifestyle can be reversed at that age. I've even seen a crackhead toff join a community boxing programme and get cleaned up and become a decent amateur fighter in his mid 20's!!!! Not only was he a crackhead but he was a ****ing toff too, lol.

putaloco
10-02-2009, 12:01 PM
no mames, cabron

oniham
10-02-2009, 03:09 PM
It's never too late to start training, I just started boxing in may and I'm 21 years old. I was tired of being inactive and lazy so i got off my ass and joined the local boxing gym. Don't make excuses for yourself, just go out there and do it

one-Punch
10-04-2009, 05:23 PM
Yeah, in a couple months I am going to start again. There was just one thing that I left out. 2 months ago I broke my femur running, now I have a titanium rod in my leg. Ontop of that, I am out of shape. I am pushing 210 pounds in which I should weigh around 180, 170. My fat percentage is probably 20 percent now. ( I don't know this, just guessing ). ugh

arraamis
10-04-2009, 05:47 PM
Yeah, in a couple months I am going to start again. There was just one thing that I left out. 2 months ago I broke my femur running, now I have a titanium rod in my leg. Ontop of that, I am out of shape. I am pushing 210 pounds in which I should weigh around 180, 170. My fat percentage is probably 20 percent now. ( I don't know this, just guessing ). ugh

Why wait???

Develop a mild program for the upper body while you let your leg heal. Then once the leg is healthy again, you can bring the lower body into the program. The only problem you may face is with the torque applied to your leg while training.

Those rods are torque sensitive since screws are placed through the corticle bone and the rod for stabilization. And bone denisity comes into play in the healing process. I used to work in Orthopaedics and have scrubbed in on tons of those cases ... including revisions - where guys were too aggressive with their exercise programs and snapped the screws.

But don't find reasons not to ..... just do it!!!!

Regards

one-Punch
10-04-2009, 06:28 PM
Why wait???

Develop a mild program for the upper body while you let your leg heal. Then once the leg is healthy again, you can bring the lower body into the program. The only problem you may face is with the torque applied to your leg while training.

Those rods are torque sensitive since screws are placed through the corticle bone and the rod for stabilization. And bone denisity comes into play in the healing process. I used to work in Orthopaedics and have scrubbed in on tons of those cases ... including revisions - where guys were too aggressive with their exercise programs and snapped the screws.

But don't find reasons not to ..... just do it!!!!

Regards

yeah ill probably start doing some upper body then. any suggestions?

thanks for the help btw

aje
10-04-2009, 06:55 PM
It's never too late to start training

/ Thread !

I've only just got back into it as well and im 26 (started when i was 14 , stopped when i was 16 , started hitting the bag again in my local fitness gym when i was 20) and it's never too late to get back involved !

Even if it is for fitness then it is 100% worth it !

Get back into it a.s.a.p !

Cyse
10-04-2009, 07:32 PM
/ Thread !

I've only just got back into it as well and im 26 (started when i was 14 , stopped when i was 16 , started hitting the bag again in my local fitness gym when i was 20) and it's never too late to get back involved !

Even if it is for fitness then it is 100% worth it !

Get back into it a.s.a.p !

Have you thought about competition amateur fights?... Just for fun :wave:

one-Punch
10-05-2009, 01:43 PM
Have you thought about competition amateur fights?... Just for fun :wave:

That's what I want to do.