View Full Version : Who ranks higher in the ATG list Roy Jones or James Toney?

illmatickid
09-30-2009, 04:35 AM
what do you guys think?

im like in the middle

coz on the other hand i feel like james toney took on better chalenges in a way than roy

but roy obliterated him

so like.. yeaaa

BennyST
09-30-2009, 05:02 AM
Hmmm, yeah, it's a good question but I think Toney's lack of discipline and losing some fights he never should have lost, as well as losing to Jones, stops him from placing higher for me. Even if he had lost to Jones but won all those other fights he lost he would place higher in my opinion.

He took on much better fighters and challenges over the course of his career, did everything Jones did, but just screwed some things up along the way which hurts his placing.

Obama
09-30-2009, 07:51 AM
They about even, but I give RJJ the slight edge.

mickey malone
09-30-2009, 10:04 AM
Probably Toney, if he'd stayed in shape... But on over all achievement, I'd say Jones takes it.. Jones also deserves credit for being the more active of the 2.. Especially during recent years...

Anyone know if Toney's gonna fight again?

GJC
09-30-2009, 10:26 AM
Got to go with RJJ but would have liked to go with Toney really but it's his fault that I can't :(.
Funny era in many ways, I think the great athletes are winning over the great boxers if you know what I mean.

bojangles1987
09-30-2009, 02:40 PM
I don't think it's that close, Roy was a monster for about 10 years, no question the best p4p fighter in the world. During that reign at the top, he embarrassed Toney. Full credit to what Toney has accomplished despite his lack of discipline, but Roy is better.

Joey Giardello
09-30-2009, 03:41 PM
what do you guys think?

im like in the middle

coz on the other hand i feel like james toney took on better chalenges in a way than roy

but roy obliterated him

so like.. yeaaa

Your in the middle your kidding me? roy jones done more than toney and was the over all better fighter and beat his ass when they met. I rate roy in my top ten all time list of fighters, they didnt call him mr pound for pound for nothing the guy was a modern day ray robinson

Stoppage
09-30-2009, 05:07 PM
Definitely Roy Jones Jr.

Bright-Eyes
09-30-2009, 05:56 PM
Roy Jones never wasted a great portion of his career like Toney.I don't see how it's close in terms of what the two accomplished.

I look at Jones as having the greater resume,the great accomplishments and the greater performances.

Toney never got knocked out twice in a row but Roy Jones never lost to Drake Thadzi either.

RightCross94
09-30-2009, 08:05 PM
Toney took far greater risks than Jones, but Jones did beat him, and Jones was a great fighter too, so it probably has to be given to Jones.

I would rank both in the top 60 of all time, With James probably in the mid to late 50's, and Jones in the late 40's.

Benncollinsaad
10-01-2009, 06:49 AM
Impossible for me to call. Both were the best fighters of the 90's. Most talented fighters of their generation. Jones had more speed, but Toney had that shoulder roll and tighter defence. And a sounder chin. I kinda lean towards Toney now, earlier I leaned towards Roy.

Obama
10-01-2009, 12:38 PM
Impossible for me to call. Both were the best fighters of the 90's. Most talented fighters of their generation. Jones had more speed, but Toney had that shoulder roll and tighter defence. And a sounder chin. I kinda lean towards Toney now, earlier I leaned towards Roy.

Don't forget Whitaker. Or are you still hating on Whitaker?

Benncollinsaad
10-01-2009, 01:04 PM
Don't forget Whitaker. Or are you still hating on Whitaker?

No. I just don't consider him as good as those two.;) Eat that, Sweetpeawannabe!:D

MANGLER
10-01-2009, 01:11 PM
RJ>Toney. RJ remained right at the top the whole way til he crashed in 04. Toney to his credit resurrected himself in 03 and had a strong run for a couple yrs, but while he was fadin out, possibly still in his prime if not at his peak, RJ was dominatin.

Obama
10-01-2009, 01:21 PM
No. I just don't consider him as good as those two.;) Eat that, Sweetpeawannabe!:D

We'll train you yet rook...

bigflip55
10-01-2009, 01:38 PM
come on now, james is an atg but not on the same level as roy, roy beat him once and could probably beat james at hw. plus james isnt consistantly in shape and roy has never been out of shape, name one atg that was known for showing up out of shape that rates over one who was always in prime conditioning lol

Obama
10-01-2009, 01:44 PM
come on now, james is an atg but not on the same level as roy, roy beat him once and could probably beat james at hw. plus james isnt consistantly in shape and roy has never been out of shape, name one atg that was known for showing up out of shape that rates over one who was always in prime conditioning lol

Delusions of grandeur. Also, Sam Langford was rather portly for a large portion of his career.

Stoppage
10-01-2009, 01:55 PM
Delusions of grandeur. Also, Sam Langford was rather portly for a large portion of his career.

There's a difference between Sam Langford and James Toney. It's that one was fat, the other was not.

This is the largest I've seen Sam Langford at. Most likely around midway of his heavyweight career:
http://images.******.com/images/7/00/00/13/56/1356_605.jpg

Here is Toney as a heavyweight:
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/richard_hoffer/03/20/toney.rahman/p1_toney_0320.jpg

Obama
10-01-2009, 02:16 PM
There's a difference between Sam Langford and James Toney. It's that one was fat, the other was not.

This is the largest I've seen Sam Langford at. Most likely around midway of his heavyweight career:
http://images.******.com/images/7/00/00/13/56/1356_605.jpg

Here is Toney as a heavyweight:
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/richard_hoffer/03/20/toney.rahman/p1_toney_0320.jpg

Langford is not a lb over 175 in that pic, if that. He went over 190 in a large amount of bouts.

Stoppage
10-01-2009, 02:25 PM
Langford is not a lb over 175 in that pic, if that. He went over 190 in a large amount of bouts.

Doubt it. Here's a picture of Sam Langford on December 20, 1913 against Joe Jeannette.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/5898/langfordjeannette.png

In his previous fight with Jeannette two months earlier, he weighed it at 199.25 lbs. I doubt much changed since then. And note that the Langford in this picture is more noticeably fit than the Langford in the previous picture. Thus, he's still better conditioned than Toney ever was.

CCobra
10-03-2009, 05:56 AM
James Toney was quite an incredible fighter in his prime years. Toney's losses to Jones, Thadzi & Griffin (2x) were as a result of him draining himself. His lack of mental discipline meant we never got see him on top for a longer period of time. But make no mistake about it, his resume leading up to his bout with Jones was very solid. Mike McCallum, Reggie Johnson, Merqui Sosa, Michael Nunn, Glenn Wolfe, Dave Tiberi, Tim Little, Doug DeWitt, Iran Barkley, Charles Williams, Dell'Aquila (might have spelt it wrong, I'll have to look it up in a bit), Tony Thornton & Glen Thomas makes for a nice resume. His loss to Jones began something of a downwards spiral for Toney. Weight problems due to lack of mental discipline really got the better of him and it was only in the early part of the current century that he started to pick up again. His win over Jirov was a highly entertaining bout and I expected to see him remain a cruiserweight but once again he moved up and annihilated Evander Holyfield. I honestly thought that Toney had the chance to be a real force at the CW/HW divisions. Evander may have seen better years but he's never really been stopped like Toney did to him. I couldn't see any HW in the world stopping Evander and Toney did a damn good job of it.

Toney was a great fighter, incredibly talented but lacked the mental discipline to remain on top for a long time. Still an ATG fighter in my eyes but I have to rank Roy Jones ahead of him based on the fact that RJJ didn't spend about 7 years of his career with weight problems & failing to find the right fighting consistency.