View Full Version : How Many Fighters Retired Undefeated?..

mickey malone
09-29-2009, 07:02 PM
I've got 7.. Can anyone add to the list ?

Rocky Marciano
Jimmy Barry
Sven Ottke
Terry Marsh
Horace Notice
Jack McAuliffe
Joe Calzaghe

1SILVA
09-29-2009, 07:20 PM

Rocky Marciano
Jimmy Barry
Sven Ottke
Terry Marsh
Horace Notice
Jack McAuliffe
Joe Calzaghe

Laszlo Papp
Ricardo Lopez
Harry Simon(defeated Winky Wright)

1SILVA
09-29-2009, 07:30 PM

Rocky Marciano
Jimmy Barry
Sven Ottke
Terry Marsh
Horace Notice
Jack McAuliffe
Joe Calzaghe

Ike Ibeabuchi

TheGreatA
09-29-2009, 08:04 PM
Michael Loewe

http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=4130&cat=boxer

Ji-Won Kim

http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=44627&cat=boxer

Mr Boxing9
09-29-2009, 08:13 PM
Mark Epton
http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=127144&cat=boxer

mickey malone
09-30-2009, 10:44 AM
Many thanks to all the above!...

I knew there were more... Should have remembered Ike though...

mickey malone
09-30-2009, 10:55 AM
Laszlo Papp
Ricardo Lopez
Harry Simon(defeated Winky Wright)
What was the story with Simon?... I heard he was involved in some sort of car accident in which somebody was killed.. I believe he was the accused..
Did this have anything to do with his retirement?
From what I recall, he was in the middle of his prime & had the potential to be an ATG..

sonnyboyx2
09-30-2009, 01:07 PM
What was the story with Simon?... I heard he was involved in some sort of car accident in which somebody was killed.. I believe he was the accused..
From what I recall, he was in the middle of his prime & had the potential to be an ATG..
Simon v Wright was a very strange fight, the result was first announced as a draw which ment Wright as champion retained his title, But with the prime Minister of Namibia in attendance the result was then changed in favour of Harry Simon, i watched the fight `live` on TV and it was very competitive, Simon had a style that caused Winky` loads of problems, Winky could not get his jab working and it was a very close fight to call

sonnyboyx2
09-30-2009, 01:14 PM
Michael Loewe

Ji-Won Kim

Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Ricky Womack (defeated Holyfield 3 times in the amateurs) 13-0 as a pro

Their is quite a few others although they are unkowns and not champions

Yacube7
09-30-2009, 03:48 PM
How you figure Mike Tyson?

1SILVA
10-01-2009, 02:00 AM

An article about the accident

Green light for Harry Simon appeal

By: WERNER MENGES
THE High Court on Friday gave permission to the State to pursue an appeal to increase the two-year prison term that former world champion boxer Harry Simon received last year in connection with a car crash in which three Belgian tourists were killed.

Simon was sentenced to four years' imprisonment, of which two years

were suspended for five years, when his trial in the Walvis Bay

Regional Court ended with him being convicted of culpable homicide

in early August last year.

Simon was prosecuted in connection with the role that he had

played in the death of three Belgian visitors to Namibia.

The three - a 22-month-old baby, Ibe de Winter, her 31-year-old

father, Frederick de Winter, and a 29-year-old mother of two

children, Michelle de Clerck - were killed on the evening of

November 21 2002 when a car that Simon was driving at great speed

crashed head-on into a vehicle carrying a group of Belgian

tourists.

The collision happened at a turn-off to Langstrand on the road

between Swakopmund and Walvis Bay.

Since being convicted and sentenced, Simon has remained free on

bail of N$10 000 pending an appeal that his lawyer, Slysken

Makando, has launched against both the conviction and sentence.

The State also filed an application to be given leave to appeal

to the High Court against the sentence, which it wants to be

increased.

This application was considered by Judge Sylvester Mainga on

Friday, and the result was that he decided to allow the prosecution

to appeal for an increase of the jail term that Simon received.

The prosecution's appeal is set to be heard with Simon's appeal

against his conviction and sentence.

A date for the hearing must still be set.

The deadly crash on November 21 2002 was the second fatal car

collision that Simon had been involved in within a period of 20

months.

In April 2001, two Swakopmund residents died close to Swakopmund

on the road to Usakos when a Mercedes-Benz vehicle owned by Simon,

and of which he was an occupant, crashed into their vehicle from

behind.

The Police initially reported that Simon had been the driver of

his car, but it was later claimed that another occupant of the

vehicle, Hans Hauwanga, had been behind the steering wheel.

Hauwanga was eventually convicted of culpable homicide in

December 2004, and received a four-year prison term of which two

years were suspended.

Simon, who will turn 34 on Saturday, won a World Boxing

Organisation middleweight world champion title in August 1998.

He had to vacate his title when he was put out of action after

breaking an arm and a leg in the November 2002 collision, and is

yet to make a return to the ring.

Simon was prosecuted in connection with the role that he had played

in the death of three Belgian visitors to Namibia.The three - a

22-month-old baby, Ibe de Winter, her 31-year-old father, Frederick

de Winter, and a 29-year-old mother of two children, Michelle de

Clerck - were killed on the evening of November 21 2002 when a car

that Simon was driving at great speed crashed head-on into a

vehicle carrying a group of Belgian tourists.The collision happened

at a turn-off to Langstrand on the road between Swakopmund and

Walvis Bay.Since being convicted and sentenced, Simon has remained

free on bail of N$10 000 pending an appeal that his lawyer, Slysken

Makando, has launched against both the conviction and sentence.The

State also filed an application to be given leave to appeal to the

High Court against the sentence, which it wants to be

increased.This application was considered by Judge Sylvester Mainga

on Friday, and the result was that he decided to allow the

prosecution to appeal for an increase of the jail term that Simon

received.The prosecution's appeal is set to be heard with Simon's

appeal against his conviction and sentence.A date for the hearing

must still be set.The deadly crash on November 21 2002 was the

second fatal car collision that Simon had been involved in within a

period of 20 months.In April 2001, two Swakopmund residents died

close to Swakopmund on the road to Usakos when a Mercedes-Benz

vehicle owned by Simon, and of which he was an occupant, crashed

into their vehicle from behind.The Police initially reported that

Simon had been the driver of his car, but it was later claimed that

another occupant of the vehicle, Hans Hauwanga, had been behind the

steering wheel.Hauwanga was eventually convicted of culpable

homicide in December 2004, and received a four-year prison term of

which two years were suspended.Simon, who will turn 34 on Saturday,

won a World Boxing Organisation middleweight world champion title

in August 1998.He had to vacate his title when he was put out of

action after breaking an arm and a leg in the November 2002

collision, and is yet to make a return to the ring.

JAB5239
10-01-2009, 02:01 AM
....Joe Mesi

mickey malone
10-01-2009, 09:17 AM
Many thanks to 1SILVA for the imfo regards Simon..

****!.... Didnt know it was that bad, a whole family, as well as totally ruining his own life.. Tragic is the only word.. Be very surprised if he comes back as the same fighter, if at all..

I see JAB's got Messi lol... Well done... But I heard rumors of a planned come back..
Anyone know if there's any truth in that?

Yacube7
10-20-2009, 08:44 PM
The arrested Jack Jonson for going out with a white women allegedly.

What about Jack Johnson?

1SILVA
10-21-2009, 01:02 AM
....Joe Mesi

Ed Too Tall Jones. 6-0 with 5 kos

blacklodge
10-21-2009, 04:23 AM
Aaron Pryor might deserve honorable mention.

mickey malone
10-21-2009, 06:02 AM
Aaron Pryor might deserve honorable mention.
He came back and got beat by Bobby Joe Young..

blacklodge
10-21-2009, 06:56 PM
He came back and got beat by Bobby Joe Young..

I know. Just sayin'.

Obama
10-24-2009, 02:29 PM
Young Mitchell (http://www.boxrec.com/list_bouts.php?human_id=068444&cat=boxer) (35-0-6) *record from Ring Encyclopedia, differs from boxrec (which is unquestionably incomplete)

Jim Jeffries
10-24-2009, 02:52 PM
Michael Loewe

Ji-Won Kim

Wow, has someone ever had a worse resume en route to a world title shot?

Besides Pete Rademacher of course.

mickey malone
10-24-2009, 03:52 PM
Wow, has someone ever had a worse resume en route to a world title shot?

Besides Pete Rademacher of course.
Leon Spinks?

Obama
10-24-2009, 04:10 PM
Leon Spinks?

Sad thing is Spinks won. Yet another reason why Ali is not the greatest. :nonono:

Benncollinsaad
10-24-2009, 05:17 PM
Only the greatest fighter of the decade did REALLY retire undefeated-Joe C!:boxing: :banana: Schmuck Ottke lost at least four fights in reality.

Unbelievable
10-24-2009, 05:24 PM
Sad thing is Spinks won. Yet another reason why Ali is not the greatest.

That's sort of stupid to say. Ali had Parkinson's Syndrome by then and was in no way near gifted like he was in his prime or even post-Vietnam.

It's like saying the same thing with SRR about him losing to journeymen fighters towards the end of his career.

Obama
10-24-2009, 06:40 PM
That's sort of stupid to say. Ali had Parkinson's Syndrome by then and was in no way near gifted like he was in his prime or even post-Vietnam.

It's like saying the same thing with SRR about him losing to journeymen fighters towards the end of his career.

No it's not. Robinson wasn't champion anymore. Hadn't been in years. Ali was still Champ. And if he was so finished, why did he win the rematch? The man just beat a prime Earnie Shavers convincingly prior to the first Spinks fight.

Unbelievable
10-24-2009, 06:58 PM
No it's not. Robinson wasn't champion anymore. Hadn't been in years. Ali was still Champ. And if he was so finished, why did he win the rematch? The man just beat a prime Earnie Shavers convincingly prior to the first Spinks fight.

And after the second Spinks fight he lost to Holmes.

The point is he wasn't even near half of what he used to be. You can't base a fighter's legacy off of their last performances.

Princemanspopa
10-24-2009, 07:16 PM

Or like Harold Johnson losing to the Bob Satterfield's and Oakland Billy Smith's of the world,my mistake,Harold Johnson was actually in his prime at that time but go ahead and ask dunce if Harold Johnson was a greater fighter than Roy Jones Jr.

TheGreatA
10-24-2009, 07:35 PM
Or like Harold Johnson losing to the Bob Satterfield's and Oakland Billy Smith's of the world,my mistake,Harold Johnson was actually in his prime at that time but go ahead and ask dunce if Harold Johnson was a greater fighter than Roy Jones Jr.

It's not like Satterfield or Smith were bad fighters.

I do agree that it's utterly ridiculous to bring up Ali's loss to Spinks.

Obama
10-24-2009, 08:12 PM
And after the second Spinks fight he lost to Holmes.

The point is he wasn't even near half of what he used to be. You can't base a fighter's legacy off of their last performances.

He retired after the second Spinks fight. He wasn't Champion when he came out of retirement for Holmes. He was further along then than before. Not to mention Holmes is a top 10 ATG Heavyweight, many would say top 5. Ali was SUPPOSED to lose to him at that point. I never said Ali was prime when Spinks beat him. But he was clearly competing with the best in the world at that time, and Spinks was far from the best in the world. Which is why Ali was HEAVILY FAVORED to beat Spinks in the first fight. He was NOT SUPPOSED to lose. Yet he did. If it wasn't such a terrible upset he wouldn't have been able to correct it in the rematch.

Ali was simply known to struggle with small Heavyweights.

And who said I based his legacy off it? I said it's one of the many indications he's not THE greatest, I never said he wasn't one of the greatest. Don't assume. :nonono:

Greater LHW. Not greater p4p. Get your bull**** straight, pooperscooper.

I do agree that it's utterly ridiculous to bring up Ali's loss to Spinks.

C. O. N. T. E. X. T.

TheGreatA
10-24-2009, 08:30 PM
I don't think the Spinks fight should be brought up in any context though to be honest. Robinson may not have been the champ when he lost all those fights in his 40's but he was probably in better shape and atleast wasn't slurring every other word like Ali was at the time.

You'd surely agree that Ali shouldn't have even been the champ at that point in his career, right?

Obama
10-24-2009, 09:15 PM
I don't think the Spinks fight should be brought up in any context though to be honest. Robinson may not have been the champ when he lost all those fights in his 40's but he was probably in better shape and atleast wasn't slurring every other word like Ali was at the time.

You'd surely agree that Ali shouldn't have even been the champ at that point in his career, right?

Young beat him, Norton beat him, but Earnie Shavers lost. Earnie Shavers wasn't exactly a bum. I can't say the same about Leon Spinks.

Robinson was clearly more over the hill when he was fighting Mick Leahy and beyond than Ali was in the Spinks fights. This whole speech thing isn't the definitive statement to what a fighter can do in the ring. I know plenty of guys that can't talk worth a **** but kick ass.

TheGreatA
10-24-2009, 09:35 PM
Young beat him, Norton beat him, but Earnie Shavers lost. Earnie Shavers wasn't exactly a bum. I can't say the same about Leon Spinks.

Robinson was clearly more over the hill when he was fighting Mick Leahy and beyond than Ali was in the Spinks fights. This whole speech thing isn't the definitive statement to what a fighter can do in the ring. I know plenty of guys that can't talk worth a **** but kick ass.

I thought Robinson won the Pender fights, beat Fullmer the third time, lost the fourth, went 1-1 with Moyer, won a disputed SD against the competent Ralph Dupas, was competitive against Terry Downes and Joey Giardello, knocked down Leahy in losing, was badly robbed against Ayon and then lost to some other mediocrities before finally losing to Joey Archer.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oFPXXJXmBRk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oFPXXJXmBRk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mpNCXfQHTQU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mpNCXfQHTQU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Shavers was no bum but the fight wasn't exactly a clear win for Ali in my opinion. Ali took quite a pounding from possibly the hardest hitter of all time. After the Shavers fight, Ferdie Pacheco tried to convince Ali to retire because his health was badly declining. Pacheco refused to work with Ali again when Ali decided to continue fighting.

The thing is that Ali could hardly "kick ass" at that point, he wasn't half the fighter he used to be. Spinks wasn't even that bad but he had no business beating Muhammad Ali. He only beat the shadow of Ali, much like all the men who beat Robinson late in his career only beat the shadow of him.

Obama
10-24-2009, 10:15 PM
I thought Robinson won the Pender fights, beat Fullmer the third time, lost the fourth, went 1-1 with Moyer, won a disputed SD against the competent Ralph Dupas, was competitive against Terry Downes and Joey Giardello, knocked down Leahy in losing, was badly robbed against Ayon and then lost to some other mediocrities before finally losing to Joey Archer.

One problem. Pender, Fullmer, Moyer, Dupas, Downes, and Giardello were all better than Spinks. Some of them a HELL of a lot better. Yet Robinson could beat them/be competitive in his sorry state.

Fact is Spinks wasn't supposed to win, regardless of how much Ali slipped. Everyone knew he had slipped before the contract got signed. There were no delusions by the public.

While it's true Ali wouldn't have lost to Spinks in his prime, it's not true that Spinks wouldn't of had his moments. Ali made a legacy off impressing against large, slow, heavy hitters. Guys like Spinks were always opponents he seemed to have problems with.

TheGreatA
10-24-2009, 10:57 PM
One problem. Pender, Fullmer, Moyer, Dupas, Downes, and Giardello were all better than Spinks. Some of them a HELL of a lot better. Yet Robinson could beat them/be competitive in his sorry state.

Fact is Spinks wasn't supposed to win, regardless of how much Ali slipped. Everyone knew he had slipped before the contract got signed. There were no delusions by the public.

While it's true Ali wouldn't have lost to Spinks in his prime, it's not true that Spinks wouldn't of had his moments. Ali made a legacy off impressing against large, slow, heavy hitters. Guys like Spinks were always opponents he seemed to have problems with.

Robinson also lost to numerous lesser fighters around that time though who were probably less accomplished than Spinks. He was still competitive with the likes of Giardello, Downes, Moyer but he also lost to Leahy, Harrington, Hernandez...

Spinks was not exactly fast nor skilled. He beat Ali in my opinion because Ali expected him to tire but Spinks did not. He was a very well-conditioned and tough fighter, nothing that would trouble a prime Ali however.

Princemanspopa
10-25-2009, 10:06 AM

No he wasn't dunce,and it isn't debatable either.Obviously you like to think of yourself as a critic of Roy Jones Jr and his career,it makes you feel like a real true boxing fan to overrate unknown past fighters and underrate current well known fighters,compare Roy Jones's resume with Harold Johnson without having your nose up the worn out jockstraps of some old philadelphian fighter.

Roy Jones is the greater LHW,greater fighter and in truth would completely clown Harold Johnson.

You should try growing up a little dunce and stop using pathetic playground insults over other posters usernames

mickey malone
10-25-2009, 10:52 AM
He retired after the second Spinks fight. He wasn't Champion when he came out of retirement for Holmes. He was further along then than before. Not to mention Holmes is a top 10 ATG Heavyweight, many would say top 5. Ali was SUPPOSED to lose to him at that point. I never said Ali was prime when Spinks beat him. But he was clearly competing with the best in the world at that time, and Spinks was far from the best in the world. Which is why Ali was HEAVILY FAVORED to beat Spinks in the first fight. He was NOT SUPPOSED to lose. Yet he did. If it wasn't such a terrible upset he wouldn't have been able to correct it in the rematch.

Ali was simply known to struggle with small Heavyweights.

And who said I based his legacy off it? I said it's one of the many indications he's not THE greatest, I never said he wasn't one of the greatest. Don't assume. :nonono:

C. O. N. T. E. X. T.
Everyone knows that he should never have fought Larry Holmes and whoever sanctioned the Berbick fight, should have been frog marched down a dark alley and & hung from a lamp post..

You have to remember that even a decrepit Ali was able to claim a new world record, by becoming the first 3 time champion..