View Full Version : punching power

patrickmullenz
09-29-2009, 03:04 PM
right i want to kno whats the best way to get really strong punchs without losing alot of speed ?

and while im at it the fastest way to get a six pak?

JayCoe
09-29-2009, 05:32 PM
right i want to kno whats the best way to get really strong punchs without losing alot of speed ?

Punching power is defined by physics, this means it abides the laws of science and is quantified as mass x acceleration

So saying you want to keep at the same weight, as far as i'm concerned there's two ways;

i) Increase speed. Increase the number of push ups, pull ups etc. Go even harder on the punch-bag, speed comes from strength (slow and fast twitch fibres) and technique.

ii) Technique. Learning to snap your punches alongside the devastating "punching through". Or ensuring you twist your hips with those straight rights etc.

You can also use slightly more unorthodox punches such as the overhand right swing which tend to be very powerful but if you miss you're really really ****ed which is exactly why they're unorthodox because you'll throw your bodyweight totally off balance and leave yourself open to counters. These are usually used as "finishers" when the guy is on his way out, or just never. A good example is Tyson vs. Berbick right at the start of round 2 before Berbick goes down for the 1st time.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OJOZPzmIJ2w&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OJOZPzmIJ2w&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I wouldn't personally say pursue that path, but just giving all options.

Other than what i've said, i'd say your punching power is limited by weight. If you're covering speed and technique the only thing left in the equation is mass.

and while im at it the fastest way to get a six pak?

Isn't one. Anything that sells you "get six packs in 2 weeks" etc. is a load of bollocks. You'll get a six pack by building your abs and then cutting fat. Without the former you just have a flat stomach, no abs bulging through. Without the latter you might have big abs but they wont show. Only thing I can suggest towards building a 6 pack is a lot of cardiovascular to trim off overall body fat and a lot of ab exercises to build them.

JayCoe
09-29-2009, 05:36 PM
P.S if you want to see how not to throw the overhand right swing (or whatever anybody else terms it) watch this fight;

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kXNFMPMaHhI&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kXNFMPMaHhI&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

As ***an is clearly obsessed with it, not only throwing it but throwing it awfully. He obviously noted Khan's questionable chin in his previous fight to this against Prescott. He no doubt believed he could K.O Khan with one of those, he couldn't, he didn't and he wouldn't have.

#1Assassin
09-29-2009, 06:18 PM
well speed is the key to punching power so you wont lose it. dont try to bulk up, it will only cause you to lose power. you'll get heavy handed, but lose the snap behind your shots, and not score 1 punch KOs which i assume u are reffering too. as always i will tell everyone who asks how to increase power, if u need to ask, u havent been boxing long enough to start thinking about power. just stick with the basics for now. but when u do look to increase power (or uf u do it right now anyways) its mainly about technique. pivot your feet, twist your hips, and put your shoulder behind the punch. all in one motion, and u will generate maximum force. the best way to improve this is simply shadowboxing, improving your technique. once u got it down take it to the heavybag, about getting proper distance and levrage on your shots and feeling out how to get snap at the end of your punches. aside from technique practise handspeed, which is a key to power. shadowbxing with weights or resistance bands is great. but in the end punching hard wont score u any KOs, i know it sounds dumb but its true. u can knock someone out with a weak ass shot, and fail to knock someone out with a f*ucking bomb. its all about timing and accuracy. learn how to hide and place your punches.

j
09-29-2009, 06:26 PM
mass x's acceleration is barely half of a basic formula. so, i have no doubt about claiming it as bull****.

Spartacus Sully
09-29-2009, 09:06 PM
mass x's acceleration is barely half of a basic formula. so, i have no doubt about claiming it as bull****.

your right your missing the =force (the other half)

and the punch i think has 3 parts that deals with speed theres your fists acceleration theres your top speed and theres your rate of decleration when you hit the object.

nah i mean i dont think its supposed to explain everything but the idea is that if your going to keep at the same weight and you want more force your going to want to punch faster.

MikeT86
09-29-2009, 09:48 PM
MA=Force is the wrong equation.
MV=P is the one you guys are looking for, Mass times Velocity equals momentum, momentum causes energy transfers. If you want to see the force imparted you would measure the mass of what you hit and how much it accelerated.

RightCross94
09-30-2009, 03:23 AM
**** i hate when this turns into a physics debate, i hate physics

Punching power is all about having your

. feet in the right spot, if you look at all the big punchers, none have a really deep stance, all have their back foot fairly far up

.pivoting properly

.turning your core and hips into the punch, and making sure you arm is moving properly for whatever punch you are throwing

Of course you dont have to turn fully into every punch, some punches you just put average or less power into, some you really dig in