View Full Version : mentally strong

Juof
09-28-2009, 07:32 AM
i feel mentally weak when it comes to fights for example i feel scared to fight or even spar people from opposite gyms my trainer asks me if i wanna fight and i try to back out from it dont get me wrong iv had a couple of fights and i know the feeling but am i the only one on here that gets scared to fight? or even do intensive sparring against people from different gyms?

Pretty Boy32
09-28-2009, 07:45 AM
What I do and I remember hearing Naseem Hamed says this before fight is,
Whoever you are fighting learn to hate them,
I remember Naz saying "When I get in that Ring, I just wanna do some Damage, I know that sounds terrible but thats what I do, I just need to wreck it, like completely Tear it Up,"
Don't be afraid of anyone believe in your skills

RightCross94
09-28-2009, 07:47 AM
no, you arent the only one

just relax and remember, this is what you train to do, this what boxing is about. get in there, listen to your trainer and do your best and theres nothing to be ashamed of or worried about

because guess what? if you relax, follow the gameplan and be confident, you will most likely win

and plus, whoever is standing across the ring from you is ****ting themselves too, and if you be cool and confidet you a massive advantage

RightCross94
09-28-2009, 07:49 AM
What I do and I remember hearing Naseem Hamed says this before fight is,
Whoever you are fighting learn to hate them,
I remember Naz saying "When I get in that Ring, I just wanna do some Damage, I know that sounds terrible but thats what I do, I just need to wreck it, like completely Tear it Up,"
Don't be afraid of anyone believe in your skills

that approach might have worked for a top pro with tons of experience like Hamed, but for a young amateur thats just gonna make him tense up and go nuts trying to knock fools out, and probably end up getting stopped themselves.

peewee1460
09-28-2009, 07:53 AM
i feel scared too. once the bell rings it's gone and i just do my thing. have faith in the knowledge that once the bell rings you'll be cool.

Juof
09-28-2009, 10:23 AM
thanks guys,
i do lose the nerves when the bell goes but like even when my trainers like you'll be fighting on the 20th or something it gets to me. and makes me wanna back out

Juof
09-28-2009, 05:08 PM
oh my, im fighting on the 16th of october now.

'Sugar' Freddi
09-28-2009, 05:52 PM
It's normal man. You get nervous and scared soemtimes, it's all normal. Just try and relax and tell your self this, "He's going through the same **** I'm going through" because it's damn true. No one who steps in the ring doesn't feel scared or nervous unless they got some issues. Once the bell rings, you don't feel ****. Good luck!

fraidycat
09-28-2009, 07:40 PM
^^

+1. He's just as scared as you are. The trick is keeping a poker face. Look mean even when you're so scared you're about to puke.

Don't hate your opponent. This is a sport, for fvck's sake. Sportsmanship, decency, prudence, fair play, and mercy play as big a role in boxing as sheer violence does. And keeping your cool plays an even bigger part than that. Especially when you're just sparring. Jesus.

Anyone who thinks otherwise has spent too much time watching Ippo and not enough time inside the headgear.

RightHooker
09-28-2009, 08:32 PM
Everyone gets nervous/anxious/scared before fights. Some people get scared of the actual fight itself, some people the actual fight doesn't bother them, but they are most scared of losing and having all their hardwork go for nothing.

MikeT86
09-28-2009, 11:56 PM
I get tense and nervous before sparring even against smaller guys. Once I get hit the first time it usually goes away. It's natural, I've found my best course of action is just to do my best Sonny Liston impression, if I look mean and confident I feel a bit more confident.

RightCross94
09-29-2009, 12:03 AM
Best expression before a fight imo is just a neutral, calm face. If you overdo the
Sonny liston stare it looks like you are trying to overcompensate, and is probably a good indicator someone is ****ing terrified

MikeT86
09-29-2009, 12:05 AM
Best expression before a fight imo is just a neutral, calm face. If you overdo the
Sonny liston stare it looks like you are trying to overcompensate, and is probably a good indicator someone is ****ing terrified

To each their own, I don't scowl that bad but it helps me to project that image. Mostly I just stare through the guy, in reality I'm usually just thinking strategy.

j
09-29-2009, 02:55 AM
i am not sre what kind of mental toughness we are discussing, but i can add this...

any type of will-challenging exercise will help condition you. for me, sometimes it is simply standing in a low posture for a good period of time. it is not f#cking easy as at first, u will really wanna just give up. after a while, u not only gain certain physical prowess, ur intent strengthens. u also become very aware of how your body works through still practices. very potent.

RightCross94
09-29-2009, 07:38 AM
i am not sre what kind of mental toughness we are discussing, but i can add this...

any type of will-challenging exercise will help condition you. for me, sometimes it is simply standing in a low posture for a good period of time. it is not f#cking easy as at first, u will really wanna just give up. after a while, u not only gain certain physical prowess, ur intent strengthens. u also become very aware of how your body works through still practices. very potent.

True. And related to that is the fact that if you train hard, fights are usually easy, if you know you have trained hard, you are confident

**** if you are doing a tough running session in the mornings, then sparring 6 or more rounds in the gym at night, plus bag, pads and strength work etc, what the **** is a 3x2 min fight?? nothing!

#1Assassin
09-30-2009, 03:10 PM
everyone gets it bro, atleast at first. make sure u train hard and u will be much more confident. i personally remind myself of all my favourite fighters knowing most if not all of them were scared too, think about how they went thru the same ****. then i just think about how this is what its all about. in the end u just have to ask yourself if u want to be a fighter. if u do then u will quickly discover the mental stress and pains of boxing are as rough as the physical parts. but again its part of the sport. just know its not just u, and your certainly not a coward for feeling scared. mike tyson had severe issues with fear when he started fighting in the ams. cuz told him being scared doesnt make u a coward, not getting scared before u fight makes u a fool. anyone who isnt crazy gets scared, the diffrence from a brave man and a coward is the brave man does it anyways.