View Full Version : Muhammad Ali vs Floyd Mayweather Jr, Who Is The Greater Fighter?

Mr. President
09-27-2009, 08:06 PM
And obviously we're talking about Ali in his prime (late 60's) because the Ali in the 70's obviously couldnt hold a candle to Money Mayweather.

Tough one for me, but i'd have to say Floyd is the greater fighter. His defense is better, punches are sharper, and reflexes are quicker. Not to mention he's been taking on tougher competition (without a single loss on his record).

Who do you guys think is the greater of these 2 legendary fighters?

Stoppage
09-27-2009, 08:12 PM
Tougher competition?

Compared to Ali, Mayweather's resume is nothing.

Mr Boxing9
09-27-2009, 08:21 PM
Ali is the greater fighter, had the much better resume and accomplished more.

For skills I'd say they were pretty even

right_hand_lead
09-27-2009, 08:22 PM
Delete this thread.

BigMacFoster
09-27-2009, 08:39 PM
Mayweather is by far the superior fighter,he just doesn't have a pair of balls.

One can only respect Muhammad Ali for fighting every legitimate contender in a great era of heavyweight boxing but we are talking about skills here and for that Mayweather is the greater fighter,he just doesn't want to prove it against the best.

For skills I'd say they were pretty even

No their not, Mayweather is far more skilled than Ali ever was.This really isn't up for debate.

Cassius Clay was a special heavyweight but not a special fighter,give his skills to any lightweight or welterweight and they are limited to journeyman status.

Muhammad Ali,the fat slob of the 1970's was a really tough guy and nothing else really.

Verstyle
09-27-2009, 08:45 PM

One can only respect Muhammad Ali for fighting every legitimate contender in a great era of heavyweight boxing but we are talking about skills here and for that Mayweather is the greater fighter,he just doesn't want to prove it against the best.

Hard to do that when Ali did his part by beating and facing the best of his era. Floyd has yet to constantly face top opposition to show how his true skills are when put up to the test.

No their not, Mayweather is far more skilled than Ali ever was.This really isn't up for debate.

Cassius Clay was a special heavyweight but not a special fighter,give his skills to any lightweight or welterweight and they are limited to journeyman status.

Muhammad Ali,the fat slob of the 1970's was a really tough guy and nothing else really.
Hard to do that when Ali did his part by beating and facing the best of his era. Floyd has yet to constantly face top opposition to show how his true skills are when put up to the test.

Mr Boxing9
09-27-2009, 08:50 PM
mayweather is by far the superior fighter,he just doesn't have a pair of balls.

One can only respect muhammad ali for fighting every legitimate contender in a great era of heavyweight boxing but we are talking about skills here and for that mayweather is the greater fighter,he just doesn't want to prove it against the best.

No their not, mayweather is far more skilled than ali ever was.this really isn't up for debate.

Cassius clay was a special heavyweight but not a special fighter,give his skills to any lightweight or welterweight and they are limited to journeyman status.

muhammad ali,the fat slob of the 1970's was a really tough guy and nothing else really.

lmao. I cant belive you have just said this, that could be the funniest and most embrassing post i have ever heard

sleazyfellow
09-27-2009, 08:53 PM
I cant beleive you guys even respond to these joke accounts, bigmacfoster is just a big****ingidiot. Ali of the 60s and 70s was a better fighter period, better resume by far.

Mr. President
09-27-2009, 09:03 PM
Tougher competition?

Compared to Ali, Mayweather's resume is nothing.

Frazier and Foreman are criminally overrated and he has 2 wins over Liston when he was way passed his prime. Not as impressive of a resume when you really break it down, especially when comparing it to Mayweather who's consistantly fought fighters in the PFP list and beaten all of them usually without breaking a sweat.

If that's not the mark of a great fighter then i don't know what is.

Southpaw Stinger
09-27-2009, 09:07 PM
Frazier and Foreman are criminally overrated and he has 2 wins over Liston when he was way passed his prime. Not as impressive of a resume when you really break it down, especially when comparing it to Mayweather who's consistantly fought fighters in the PFP list and beaten all of them usually without breaking a sweat.

What are your thoughts on Bruce Lee, Mr. President?

Junito-Rulez
09-27-2009, 09:42 PM
Mayweather's best win is Corrales. His competition was: Baldomir, JMM, Castillo, DLH, Hatton, Judah, G.Hernandez, Manfredy.
Ali's best win is Foreman. Ali fought Norton, Frazier, Liston, Foreman, Patterson, Young, Earnie Chavers, Chuvalo, Bonavena.

And TS dares to say Floyd had the tougher competition.

Nuff said

RightCross94
09-27-2009, 10:59 PM
Skillwise- Floyd

Intelligence, adjusting ability, versatility- You could say Floyd, but Ali adjusted and pulled off gameplans vs ATG's like Frazier, Foreman and Liston, so i might give it to Ali or call it even, but without a doubt intelligent fighters

Resume and accomplishments- Floyd has done great and hasnt cherrypicked as much as some of you would like to think, but Ali takes this comfortably

So, Ali is the greater fighter

Verstyle
09-27-2009, 11:01 PM
I cant beleive you guys even respond to these joke accounts, bigmacfoster is just a big****ingidiot. Ali of the 60s and 70s was a better fighter period, better resume by far.

Shut the hell up.

PAC-BOY
09-27-2009, 11:09 PM

hahahahahahahaha.... you are serious a patient!!!!

sleazyfellow
09-27-2009, 11:10 PM
Shut the hell up.

Whatever, go eat some more of Macho Camachos Knockout sausage.

Obama
09-27-2009, 11:40 PM
Floyd isn't Ali, yet. Floyd will have to fight until he's over the hill while continuing to win to accomplish that kind of greatness.

them_apples
09-28-2009, 12:48 AM
And obviously we're talking about Ali in his prime (late 60's) because the Ali in the 70's obviously couldnt hold a candle to Money Mayweather.

Tough one for me, but i'd have to say Floyd is the greater fighter. His defense is better, punches are sharper, and reflexes are quicker. Not to mention he's been taking on tougher competition (without a single loss on his record).

Ali's resume crushes FMJ's

Mr. President
09-28-2009, 01:35 AM
It's a shame how Floyd's boisterous personality gets under certain peoples skin so much that they flat out deny his skills. I'm an Ali fan and all, but i don't think even he would agree with the results of this poll.

mickey malone
09-28-2009, 03:38 AM
This debate should be put on hold until Floyd has fought Mosley, Cotto, Pac & Valero.. Problem is Ali would of fought em all in the space of 18 months, where as Floyd can't be bothered.. That's why he's now calling himself 'Money'..

So thus far on the merit of 'Greatness', Ali takes it by a country mile.. But I have to admit to believing that Mayweather has the superior technical ability..

BennyST
09-28-2009, 05:36 AM
It's a shame how Floyd's boisterous personality gets under certain peoples skin so much that they flat out deny his skills. I'm an Ali fan and all, but i don't think even he would agree with the results of this poll.

I'm quite certain that you'll find not one single person denies Mayweather's incredible boxing skill, but like Bigmac said, he doesn't fight the necessary big fights. He is as skilled, and fundamentally probably more so than Ali. But, you have to take into account that if you put the relative skills of Ali into a lightweight/WW/MW he would still be so much quicker than his opposition, still have that great jab and still be able to move brilliantly for fifteen rounds. He would have be like Jones Jr if he were in a lower division.

P4P skills are relative to the division. If a HW is way faster than his peers, then he would be way faster than all the lightweights, if he were put against lightweights.... in the P4P sense.

The big problem with these debates is one thing. The thread starter might disagree with Ali being better but, Ali proved his skills by beating many of the greatest HW's, period. He actually proved that he could handle any style he was one of the greatest ever fighters by fighting the greatest opposition in an incredible era and winning time and time again. Mayweather hasn't yet done that. His skill is purely mythical in comparison t Ali because he hasn't proven anything in comparison to the great opposition that Ali had.

If Mayweather had moved up to WW in the eighties and fought through that lot and won I would say he is among the greatest ever. Top ten, but he didn't and he hasn't even faced the best of this generation sadly. His skills are truly great. No one can deny that and no one here would deny that. You still have to look at it in perspective though. A fighters skill does not mean a thing unless they are tested against truly great opposition. Fighting fights that are always winnable, and being the favourite in every fight, against fighters that are suited to your style doesn't prove anything. Ali was often the underdog and was tested against styles that were meant to destroy him and he came out on top.

Also, if you think Ali didn't fight the supposed 'best' and that his opposition was also highly overrated, why don't you explain to us why Foreman and Frazier were so overrated? I, for one, would very much like to hear how?

I also think one thing most people overlook in these type of debates is that physical skill isn't the be all and end all of boxing. An important skill that is even more important is will, determination and the need to prove yourself the best by taking the greatest risks. This is especially where Ali beats Floyd and it is just as big a 'skill' as having a good counter punch is, but much more overlooked because it is intangible, as such things go.

Nonetheless, it is there and can be compared. Just look at Mayweather's last fight. Juan M. Marquez is quite possibly this era's greatest risk taker, willing to take truly impossible odds and do the impossible to show he is the best. Obviously it was much too great of a task to do at his age against a prime fighter of Mayweather's size and capabilities, but what he did goes a long way to proving something, and Mayweather still hasn't done that. He is also probably Mayweather's biggest name, along with Oscar and yet it still didn't go to proving much at all for him.

One thing I will say in Mayweather's favour though. I really don't think the skill level overall for this era is very high. If he was fighting in another era he would have proven much more already I think, but the simple fact remains that there are just not that many fighters today of great skill. In past eras there had often been many fighters in many divisions that had the skills of Mayweather, and fighters of all different styles with a much higher skill-set than what is found today. That is just my opinion though. Unfortunately he doesn't have many greats to choose to fight and show his true ability. No matter who he fought, realistically, he could never become much higher than 25-50 ATG, imo.

Edit: Just to clarify something as well: Floyd doesn't have a 'boisterous' personality. He is utterly fake and it shows. He is also not particularly smart or witty. The problem with doing the typical try-hard gangsta thing with all the attitude is that you have to do it well. Mayweather doesn't, and he also comes off as immature and very 'wannabee'. Since Ali, many fighters have gone for that trash talking thing but very few have had the brains and wit to pull it off, and Floyd certainly doesn't. If he had just stuck with the more laid back guy but done all the same promotion, I personally think he would be even bigger than he is now. His gangsta image just doesn't wash. He should have stuck with the next 'Golden Boy' in the form of 'Pretty Boy'. :nonono:

derkaiser91
09-28-2009, 05:42 AM

wat...Ali fought the greatest heavyweights of All time....Frazier 3 times, Liston Twice, Ken Norton Twice, Floyd Patterson, George Foreman....Mayweather hasn't fought another great

JAB5239
09-28-2009, 05:59 AM

Mr. President, I'm sorry to inform you but you've just been impeached for stupidity and nuthuggery.

GJC
09-28-2009, 09:34 AM

I've always thought that Ali could have improved his weak resume by getting the likes of Monzon, Tiger, Griffith,Benvenuti etc to put on 50lbs and beaten them. Guess he ducked them

bojangles1987
09-28-2009, 01:28 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Joke thread made me laugh.

Mr. President
09-28-2009, 05:20 PM
wat...Ali fought the greatest heavyweights of All time....Frazier 3 times, Liston Twice, Ken Norton Twice, Floyd Patterson, George Foreman....Mayweather hasn't fought another great

Mayweather has fought plenty of greats, he's just so good that he makes great fighters look normal when they're in the ring with him.

Don't get me wrong, i think Ali is a legend and quite possibly the 2nd greatest fighter to ever be involved in the sport of boxing. But in terms of skill vs skill i think Mayweather is in a class of his own and unmatched in any era of boxing.

RightCross94
09-28-2009, 06:47 PM
Mayweather has fought plenty of greats, he's just so good that he makes great fighters look normal when they're in the ring with him.

Don't get me wrong, i think Ali is a legend and quite possibly the 2nd greatest fighter to ever be involved in the sport of boxing. But in terms of skill vs skill i think Mayweather is in a class of his own and unmatched in any era of boxing.

this isnt another alt is it:grumpy:

Elemental Fist
09-28-2009, 07:18 PM
I have to go with Ali, they're both great boxers who talked trash to hype up their bouts however Ali at least had charisma to make it entertaining, while Mayweather only made himself appear to be just a loudmouth jerk.

Ziggy Stardust
09-28-2009, 10:15 PM

Yeah, this is probably Flawless again :ugh:

Poet

Mr. President
09-29-2009, 06:18 AM

Not sure who this alt character you speak of is but you can either stick to the topic of the thread or find another one to post in.

Kid McCoy
09-30-2009, 08:31 PM
Bottom line is, Ali called himself the greatest and took on every significant heavyweight of his era to prove it. Mayweather calls himself the greatest and has done zilch to prove it.

Bigmacpoper
10-01-2009, 06:44 PM
I am suprised only six have chosen Mayweather.Ali deserves his respect for what he accomplished but let's be serious here and get over the hatred many of you have for Mayweather.

Stoppage
10-01-2009, 06:54 PM
I am suprised only six have chosen Mayweather.Ali deserves his respect for what he accomplished but let's be serious here and get over the hatred many of you have for Mayweather.

Mind explaining how he's greater than Ali?

Bigmacpoper
10-01-2009, 07:19 PM
Mind explaining how he isn't a greater fighter than Ali?

Stoppage
10-01-2009, 07:28 PM
Mind explaining how he isn't a greater fighter than Ali?

Because he didn't beat the best of his era. Plain and simple. He doesn't take chances against the best. And this is him in his prime. He could have fought Mosley, Cotto, Margarito and Clottey while they were around but nope. He thought it was okay just to play it safe.

If you mean a greater boxer (ie. technical skills) then you can make an argument.

There's a big difference between a great boxer and a great fighter.

Bigmacpoper
10-01-2009, 07:34 PM
Then the argument is strictly "who has the greater resume" this isn't about that argument as the thread starter already made a point of noting Mayweathers skills compared to Ali's.

Ali was physicall gifted,Mayweather is physically and technically gifted.

Leakbeak
10-01-2009, 10:00 PM
Some of the replies are comical just like the one above my post! Alot of these noobs haven't seen Ali in his prime (eg. V Cleveland Williams) and probably mistake his past his prime heroics for his best. I also think these daft bastards missed the Castillo fight as well as the early rounds V De La Hoya. He struggled with mere hall of famers so imagine what the ATG's would do to him!!!!!

Enough of belittling the fools, now it is time to be nice and educate them on maybe one little thing. It is always better and more efficient as well as more highly skilled to make a punch miss COMPLETELY rather than block it with a shoulder roll or in some cases even Floyd's face. Ali in his prime was literally untouchable, and he was more impressive than even a prime SRR never mind a prime boring Floyd. That's why even RJJ is higher than him in ATG status

Mr. President
10-02-2009, 07:12 AM
Some of the replies are comical just like the one above my post! Alot of these noobs haven't seen Ali in his prime (eg. V Cleveland Williams) and probably mistake his past his prime heroics for his best. I also think these daft bastards missed the Castillo fight as well as the early rounds V De La Hoya. He struggled with mere hall of famers so imagine what the ATG's would do to him!!!!!

Enough of belittling the fools, now it is time to be nice and educate them on maybe one little thing. It is always better and more efficient as well as more highly skilled to make a punch miss COMPLETELY rather than block it with a shoulder roll or in some cases even Floyd's face. Ali in his prime was literally untouchable, and he was more impressive than even a prime SRR never mind a prime boring Floyd. That's why even RJJ is higher than him in ATG status

Nope, i'm a big Ali fan and have been for many years. Bigmacpoper speaks the truth, this thread is about skill for skill and in that respect i don't think Ali can compare to what Mayweather brings to the table. His accomplishments are probably greater at this point, but Floyd's still relatively young as a fighter and has plenty of time to beat him in that aspect as well.

Stoppage
10-02-2009, 09:08 AM
Nope, i'm a big Ali fan and have been for many years. Bigmacpoper speaks the truth, this thread is about skill for skill and in that respect i don't think Ali can compare to what Mayweather brings to the table. His accomplishments are probably greater at this point, but Floyd's still relatively young as a fighter and has plenty of time to beat him in that aspect as well.

The way Mayweather's been going, it doesn't look like he's gonna achieve more than Ali.

Doctor_Tenma
10-02-2009, 09:13 AM
A P4P match up would be more interesting. It's pretty obvious Ali was the greater out of the two.

Ziggy Stardust
10-02-2009, 11:56 AM

Floyd ain't shown me ****e in the skill department that I haven't already seen from other and better fighters.

Poet