View Full Version : chin ups - any advice

mrbigshot
09-27-2009, 05:06 PM
i have been researching and i think lifting your own natural body weight is the key to getting stronger

what my question is how do you get better at chins up

of course keep at it and improve each target etc etc

but to be able to do sets i cant just do it from my own weight because i cant do ten or so

should i put weight on the seat thing and work at it that way?????

IcedBlood
09-27-2009, 05:20 PM
Yeh that's how I built mine up at the start

TheNegation
09-27-2009, 05:56 PM
i have been researching and i think lifting your own natural body weight is the key to getting stronger

:no::no::no:

IcedBlood
09-27-2009, 05:59 PM
:no::no::no:

squattings the way forward

sukhenkoy
09-27-2009, 07:21 PM
Just do sets of as many as you can right now and slowly build up the number of reps in each set every 2 or 3 weeks.

TheNegation
09-27-2009, 07:53 PM
squattings the way forward

The way you get stronger is by simply lifting more weight. It's not rocket science. Are any of the worlds strongest men of Pro Powerlifters doing solely bodyweight exercises? NO!

Go HEAVY ON Deadlifts, Squats and Bench!!!!

IcedBlood
09-28-2009, 06:18 AM
The way you get stronger is by simply lifting more weight. It's not rocket science. Are any of the worlds strongest men of Pro Powerlifters doing solely bodyweight exercises? NO!

You still haven't told me who that is in your avatar. I asked you once before and you thought I meant the guy in your sig but I was actualy just too tired to explain what I meant at the time.

#1Assassin
09-28-2009, 06:58 AM

boxing isnt just about strenght, speed is more important which u lose by lifting weights. i know some of yall keep saying u dont, but i did so i dont d weights no more. f*cked up my training.

Spartacus Sully
09-28-2009, 07:16 AM

I think this is just a ploy to make up and coming boxers ****ty.

then they have no choice but to turn to mma.

cause you know when i want to improve my pull ups i go out and squat till my legs burn

TheNegation
09-28-2009, 07:25 AM
You still haven't told me who that is in your avatar. I asked you once before and you thought I meant the guy in your sig but I was actualy just too tired to explain what I meant at the time.

I already told you it was Till Lindemann, the lead Vocalist for Rammstein.

boxing isnt just about strenght, speed is more important which u lose by lifting weights. i know some of yall keep saying u dont, but i did so i dont d weights no more. f*cked up my training.

You don't lose speed by doing core lifts like Squats and Deadlifts. So I don't know what you are talking about. Have you looked at NFL players? Since they started using weights the players have been becoming bigger, stronger and faster at dramatic rates. Get with the times people.

You can implement weight training without losing speed. You have to do it the right way, and you are likely doing it the wrong way.

I think this is just a ploy to make up and coming boxers ****ty.

then they have no choice but to turn to mma.

cause you know when i want to improve my pull ups i go out and squat till my legs burn

You're a retard. This has nothing to do with MMA and this is not restricted to a specific sport. And you're basically saying all MMA fighters are slow which is even more retarded.

Plenty of Boxers do core lifts like squats.

Squats won't improve pull-ups. But the original post I quoted (which you didn't seem to read) was that getting stronger is NOT achieved by doing BW exercises.

Spartacus Sully
09-28-2009, 07:58 AM
k

Squats won't improve pull-ups. But the original post I quoted (which you didn't seem to read) was that getting stronger is NOT achieved by doing BW exercises.

no of course you cant get stronger by doing body weight exercises.

Trrmo
09-28-2009, 09:55 AM

what my question is how do you get better at chins up

of course keep at it and improve each target etc etc

but to be able to do sets i cant just do it from my own weight because i cant do ten or so

should i put weight on the seat thing and work at it that way?????

When you do chin-ups do them slow and controlled, raise your chin right up to the bar and extend out when going down. Do three or four sets and you should improve steadily. Body fat level will also determine how many you can do, when I cut right down I can do more reps.
Chins are way better than seated pulldowns. Chin-ups are a compound movement that work more than one muscle group, they work your biceps as well as your lats. Actually if you do chin-ups it is not necessary to do any bicep exercises.
Chin-ups will make you stronger unless you can easily do 15 + reps x 3, if you can do that you can hang a weight off a belt to make it harder.

mrbigshot
09-28-2009, 04:42 PM
When you do chin-ups do them slow and controlled, raise your chin right up to the bar and extend out when going down. Do three or four sets and you should improve steadily. Body fat level will also determine how many you can do, when I cut right down I can do more reps.
Chins are way better than seated pulldowns. Chin-ups are a compound movement that work more than one muscle group, they work your biceps as well as your lats. Actually if you do chin-ups it is not necessary to do any bicep exercises.
Chin-ups will make you stronger unless you can easily do 15 + reps x 3, if you can do that you can hang a weight off a belt to make it harder.

thanks for the tips!!!

i always thought if u can lift 12 stone 3 sets of 12 in chin ups then you will become stronger is that not the concept of chin ups. press ups and pec dips